PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Painting: Strip How Far?

TimothyO
08-05-2011, 03:33 AM
I've read a number of threads on racquet painting and I have a question about stripping the factory paint.

I can understand the need to eliminate the surface gloss or sheen of the factory paint since it prevents the new paint from sticking.

But do you strip down to the bare graphite or do you strip down to the point at which the factory paint is roughed into a matte finish? Can you harm the graphite if you go too far and any stripper chemical attacks the graphite?

I'm painting the frame matte black (essentially a matte black primer) and will be increasing static weight from ~11oz to ~12oz so I'm not worried about any small amount of weight the extra paint might have. And the new black primer paint will easily cover any old paint colors.

tennytive
08-05-2011, 05:29 AM
I used sandpaper and steel wool, no chemicals.

My racket was pretty dinged up, so I sanded down to the graphite until it was smooth all over.

If you want to see photos, search for "blacked out pog" in the classic racquets forums.

Good luck with your project.

TimothyO
08-05-2011, 06:44 AM
Outside of some metallic highlights I intend to apply by hand that's pretty much the effect I'm going for.

A couple of more questions:

- Did you apply a primer or go straight to the paint?

- How's the durability? Has flex caused any cracking or flaking?

- What paint did you use? (type and brand)

Thanks!

Tim

tennytive
08-06-2011, 06:01 AM
Straight to paint. Krylon Gloss Black which dried to a matte finish. Several coats and then Krylon Crystal Clear over the paint, maybe 2 to 3 coats.

Let dry for a day before the CC and then another day before I replaced the grommets and restrung. Plays great, it's my go to racket now. No blemishes visible, and other than feeling sticky from me holding it in humid weather, it's as good as I could ask for.

Here's the link with more details.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=383885