PDA

View Full Version : Just started playing, how bad is my Federer 110 racquet?

Alejandro Lanza
08-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Hello there, new member here :)

I just started to play tennis a couple weeks ago, i'm going to a ~3hr class once per week and i got a Wilson Federer 110 racquet (http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Federer-Tennis-Racquet-without/dp/B0038JRCJC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312569863&sr=8-1). I know it's a cheap one and i got it for free from my workplace, just to see if liked playing tennis and so far i've enjoyed it very much. At this point i've got tons to learn and my talent is way below what any racquet can do, so right now i'm investing more in shoes/clothes/gym training and don't plan to get a racquet until a few months down the line.
However i wanted your input, should i try to get something better sooner rather than later or is it ok to use this one for say the first 6 months of my learning?

VGP
08-05-2011, 11:07 AM
It's fine. Go out and have fun.

TheOneHander
08-05-2011, 11:13 AM
It's fine. Go out and have fun.

Agreed. You won't need anything else for the time being, enjoy it!

MavsTennis
08-05-2011, 12:11 PM
I agree with the two above me. You don't need to buy another racquet until you're sure that you are gonna stick with tennis. At that point you can ask around again for help picking out a racquet. I also wouldn't worry about getting tennis clothes. A tshirt and a pair of athletic shorts should suffice.

meowmix
08-05-2011, 01:11 PM
I agree with the two above me. You don't need to buy another racquet until you're sure that you are gonna stick with tennis. At that point you can ask around again for help picking out a racquet. I also wouldn't worry about getting tennis clothes. A tshirt and a pair of athletic shorts should suffice.

Thirded.

As MavsTennis says... clothes are pretty unnecessary. A shirt is a shirt- any t-shirt or athletic shirt will do. Same goes with shorts.

The one thing that you SHOULD invest in is a pair of tennis shoes. Tennis is a little different from other sports, and having the right footwear will help you avoid twisting your ankle.

FedExpress 333
08-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Agreed with above posters: do not waste your money yet!

Dave M
08-05-2011, 02:53 PM
In fact for your own sanity and bank balance you probably shouldn't read this racket section at all, go now, save yourself it's too late for us!
;-)
Oh and it's fine!

The Djoker
08-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Thirded.

As MavsTennis says... clothes are pretty unnecessary. A shirt is a shirt- any t-shirt or athletic shirt will do. Same goes with shorts.

The one thing that you SHOULD invest in is a pair of tennis shoes. Tennis is a little different from other sports, and having the right footwear will help you avoid twisting your ankle.

And non-tennis shoes will get shredded in a heartbeat if you're playing a lot. You can get some wilson shoes for probably ~$40. Maybe some other brands have cheaper shoes, too. Have fun and stay positive!

Alejandro Lanza
08-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Many thanks for all the feedback and good humor, this feels like a very nice place already :)
I'll stick with this racquet for now, i certainly enjoy it (my wife still has to tell me to put it down and be still while we're watching tv) and keeps me looking forward to my next session.
As for shoes, i just got my propulse 2s a few days ago. I won't use them in the tennis court until tomorrow, but i already used them to shoot a few hoops and for a couple miles in the treadmill. They feel quite good i must say, it's amazing how well i was able to move sideways in the basketball court with them (not that i plan on using them for basketball, it was just to break them in).
As for clothes, i sweat just too much, so i'm looking to get the wick away type of fabric clothes. I know my car's seat will appreciate that as i tend to go back home for a shower, but yeah other than that i'm ok using the plain cotton t shirts.
Thanks again and i'll try to $tay away from this part of the forum hehe :D

Sentinel
08-05-2011, 09:07 PM
A Nike bandana is an absolute must, though.

;)

tata
08-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Yea work on the techique now. Once your strokes are more developed, get a decent frame that suits you and will you be blown away at how easily you can do what you did with the starter frame and start redefining and pushing your boundaries. It's like learning how to corner fasts in a slow car and then move up to a fast car and you realise how much more faster you can go and start creating more things.

corbind
08-05-2011, 09:54 PM
At this point you could be playing with any racquet and it will make virtually no difference. This is the point where you need to develop basic skill and your racket won't do that for you.

Reminds me of when I first started guitar I was asking people if I put different strings on it would it sound better? They laughed and said nope. Your fingers don't know what they are doing, and until they do, nothing else is gonna help.

Same with your racquet....

fuzz nation
08-06-2011, 09:19 AM
If you enjoy your racquet, it's good for you. Yep, it's really that simple. If it gets to feeling like a trampoline on a stick at some point, just get yourself a fresh set of strings, but nothing exotic. Bonus points for having a good time with gear that you didn't have to pay for, right?

In case you eventually get to thinking that you need something... else, there's no arguing with the value in the mid-plus Head Radicals like the MG's and LM generation. No need to go dropping $180-$200 on a racquet at your stage. There's plenty of new (clearance price) and 2nd hand stuff around on a regular basis to keep you in business.

I thought I'd become a snob about using only synthetic shirts for tennis, but I made the mistake of wearing a sponge... oh, I mean a cotton shirt for a workout earlier this summer. Hated it! I go to TJ's or Marshall's a couple times a year and that keeps me stocked up on synthetics. Lots of the shirts I get there are $8-$12 and I just can't beat 'em.

It's got to function for you - bottom line. No need to sweat one brand or another as long as the colors of whatever you use aren't too obnoxious. From your racquet right down to your shoes, just make sure you've got a "good fit". If you're comfortable, you can keep at it.

Alejandro Lanza
08-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Haha, not sure i'm ready for a bandana just yet Sentienl, a cap will do for the time being, though today i had to wear it backwards during serve practice, i guess it's a decent complement to the sunblock lotion :)
And as someone who races go karts every now and then i appreciate that analogy very much Tata.
@ Corbind, agreed! Unless you're one of my friends who put metal strings on a guitr designed for nylons and then wondered about the whole thing being bent out of shape lol
@ Fuzz Nation, yeah i enjoy it very much. Today wasn't a great day though, partly because i was a bit sore from the gym but mainly because there were just too many people in class so i felt like i never got to warm up properly. I'll continue going there for a month or so and then probably switch to another academy that's a bit more expensive but they guarantee how many folks per instructor you'll run into. Thanks for the future racquet advice, i'll keep an eye open for a good Head bargain. ANd yeah i've started to visit what here they call 'outlet' stores, where you sometimes find good deals on synthetic clothes.

Thanks again everyone!

Dave M
08-06-2011, 02:57 PM
You'll have loads of good and bad days on court just remember you're there to have fun and even the bad days should be enjoyable!
Cap backwards to serve eh, Marc Kevin Goellner style!? (you don't remember him do you?)

Alejandro Lanza
08-07-2011, 05:12 AM
Afraid i don't.... maybe backwards cap players aren't destined to be memorable, that'll probably make me reconsider my head gear :D

junk
08-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Hello there, new member here :)

I just started to play tennis a couple weeks ago, i'm going to a ~3hr class once per week and i got a Wilson Federer 110 racquet (http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Federer-Tennis-Racquet-without/dp/B0038JRCJC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312569863&sr=8-1). I know it's a cheap one and i got it for free from my workplace, just to see if liked playing tennis and so far i've enjoyed it very much. At this point i've got tons to learn and my talent is way below what any racquet can do, so right now i'm investing more in shoes/clothes/gym training and don't plan to get a racquet until a few months down the line.
However i wanted your input, should i try to get something better sooner rather than later or is it ok to use this one for say the first 6 months of my learning?

it cannot be a good racquet - sorry to disagree with most of the above posts... it must be very stiff and have extremely head heavy balance. you won't be able to properly learn a good technique. u will tend to block the balls back because that's what the racquet will do to u. why don't u invest in Head LM Radical MP - at $79 it won't break your bank and you'll have a proper racquet for years to come http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_Liquidmetal_Radical_Midplus/descpageRCHEAD-LMRAD.html

but first u have to convince yourself that u really like tennis and u are in for the long run - otherwise it won't matter what racquet you fool around once or twice per year

4sound
08-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Don't buy a new racket right now. Have fun. (Actually, always have fun!)

Like you said in your original post, wait a few months down the line if you want to continue. At that point the Head LM Radical MP for $79 is a great choice.

whomad15
08-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Starting out it's fine. You will want to invest in a pair of shoes (which you did) and a new racquet. Look at the sales section of TW, there are a TON of great racquets for dirt cheap prices. Also a set of decent strings goes a long way for a new player, not poly though.
As others said, have fun. That is easily the most important part of playing tennis. It's something youcan enjoy for the rest of your life.

goran_ace
08-07-2011, 11:17 AM
one more for saying your racket is just fine for now. one thing I will add though about tennis clothes is that you should make sure to buy shorts with pockets.

VGP
08-07-2011, 11:34 AM
it cannot be a good racquet - sorry to disagree with most of the above posts... it must be very stiff and have extremely head heavy balance. you won't be able to properly learn a good technique. u will tend to block the balls back because that's what the racquet will do to u. why don't u invest in Head LM Radical MP - at $79 it won't break your bank and you'll have a proper racquet for years to come http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_Liquidmetal_Radical_Midplus/descpageRCHEAD-LMRAD.html

but first u have to convince yourself that u really like tennis and u are in for the long run - otherwise it won't matter what racquet you fool around once or twice per year

First, the racket is a basic big-box store frame. Probably an aluminum or titanium hoop. No bells and whistles. No fancy weighting design, even weight distribution. Pretty flexible given the materials.

Second, Alejandro Lanza is in the phase you describe. He's in the process of discovering the game.

Given his choice of frame and if and when his strings wear out is when he'd have to make a decision to purchase a new racket. Depending on where he lives and what type of stringing services available to him, he'll have a choice to make. A re-stringing could cost as much as his racket was new. If he decides to keep going with tennis then he can do what you suggest.

....or better yet he can go to his local thrift store and see if there are any decent frames to be had.

Dave M
08-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Couldn't agree with VGP more if I tried, a HH frame won't make you block balls back.I'd agree on changing when he's decided that it's something they'd like to continue but that's a while away. Surely loads of people on here either learnt with wooden frames or aluminum?

rufusbgood
08-07-2011, 12:29 PM
VGP is right on target. Decision time will come when the strings break. By then OP will have had time to develop a feel for the game and a sense of what feels good and what doesn't should he decide to demo some racquets.

There is nothing wrong with the Federer 110 for an entry level player. It's aluminum, about 10.5 ozs and headlight. Re-stringing it would probably be a waste of money since a new one would cost only slightly more. Typically, these inexpensive frames lose their symmetry after a couple collisions with the ground anyway and re-stringing will just make matters worse.

The Head Liquidmetal Radical MP is not the answer for every player on the planet. Especially now that it comes pre-strung with polyester string. Personally, given a choice between playing with a Radical strung with poly or a Federer 110 with Wilson Nylon, even though I'm a seasoned player I'd go with the Wilson for the sake of my elbow.

Dave M
08-07-2011, 12:37 PM
The Head Liquidmetal Radical MP is not the answer for every player on the planet. .

Spend enough time on here and you'll know it's got to be the best selling racquet ever!

ben123
08-07-2011, 12:37 PM
VGP is right on target. Decision time will come when the strings break. By then OP will have had time to develop a feel for the game and a sense of what feels good and what doesn't should he decide to demo some racquets.

There is nothing wrong with the Federer 110 for an entry level player. It's aluminum, about 10.5 ozs and headlight. Re-stringing it would probably be a waste of money since a new one would cost only slightly more. Typically, these inexpensive frames lose their symmetry after a couple collisions with the ground anyway and re-stringing will just make matters worse.

The Head Liquidmetal Radical MP is not the answer for every player on the planet. Especially now that it comes pre-strung with polyester string. Personally, given a choice between playing with a Radical strung with poly or a Federer 110 with Wilson Nylon, even though I'm a seasoned player I'd go with the Wilson for the sake of my elbow.

lol i dont think he ll get tenniselbow right away just bc he touches poly... especially bc beginners usually dont hit so hard all the time

i tend to agree with junk. i have no idea about the federer 110 but if u rly want to learn tennis dont buy a very stiff, headheavy and light racquet with a big hoop.

rufusbgood
08-07-2011, 03:08 PM
lol i dont think he ll get tenniselbow right away just bc he touches poly... especially bc beginners usually dont hit so hard all the time

i tend to agree with junk. i have no idea about the federer 110 but if u rly want to learn tennis dont buy a very stiff, headheavy and light racquet with a big hoop.

As I stated in my previous post, the Federer 110 is aluminum so you can rule out the very stiff part. It's head-light so you can rule out the head-heavy part. And the notion that a 110 is too large a hoop for a serious player would I'm sure come as a surprise to Andre Agassi and a host of other touring pros.

Speaking of Andre Agassi, why is it you Liquidmetal Radical fans never recommend the Oversize to newbies? Same low price as the MP and used by a hall of famer to boot.

ben123
08-07-2011, 04:04 PM
i agree with u totally. ive just spoken in general.

Anton
08-07-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm going to disagree - I think to learn best, you need a proper frame.

I don't know how hard you hit the ball, but your Walmart frame will not survive much hitting and actually costs more in the long term for someone who actually will be playing tennis on a regular basis.

I suggest you try some graphite rackets and see how you like it - you may find the ball striking much more satisfying.

Actually, you know what...I got a slightly cracked Wilson KBlade 98 I can send to you for free, just cover shipping. It is strung and hits just fine.

PandaKing
08-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Biggest problem I have with your theory. Is that if YOU were in his situation. Would you spend 100 dollars on a racket you may not play? No. You wouldn't. That racket is fine. Until it breaks/needs string replace. Just use what you got.

Anton
08-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Biggest problem I have with your theory. Is that if YOU were in his situation. Would you spend 100 dollars on a racket you may not play? No. You wouldn't. That racket is fine. Until it breaks/needs string replace. Just use what you got.

Meh he is already spending money on classes - why not on a proper racket?

And like I said - I'll give him one.

UCSF2012
08-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Just because someone's a beginner doesn't mean he should look like one. I mean...an aluminum racket? Come on. How many incredible rackets are there that only cost $40-50? The Exo3 Graphite's one, $40 used.

Get something respectable for $40. Or the Head Speed Lite for $90. Or the Prince Ignite for $79. Much better than a $20 aluminum racket. If you're gonna learn, learn it correctly. Even I can't hit worth a damn with an aluminum racket.

Anton
08-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Even I can't hit worth a damn with an aluminum racket.

though Federer could probably beat you with a ping pong paddle :)

asabet
08-07-2011, 07:53 PM
I think that if you're interested enough in tennis to pay for lessons and register to post here, it makes sense to pay $50-$75 for an inexpensive graphite racquet. There are good deals out there to be had. I got my nCode nTour racquets at either Target or Costco (can't remember which) when I started back playing tennis, and I don't regret that for an instant.

rufusbgood
08-07-2011, 08:31 PM
I think that if you're interested enough in tennis to pay for lessons and register to post here, it makes sense to pay $50-$75 for an inexpensive graphite racquet. There are good deals out there to be had. I got my nCode nTour racquets at either Target or Costco (can't remember which) when I started back playing tennis, and I don't regret that for an instant.

Guess what.

The nTour racquet you bought at Costco or Target only looks like a graphite racquet. Actually, what you got in all likelihood was a fusion racquet, in other words, an aluminum racquet dressed up to look like a graphite racquet. Not a bargain.

My first year of playing tennis was with a $12 aluminum racquet I got at a discount sporting goods chain. Perfectly adequate for a beginner. No need to rush out and buy before he knows:

a. That he really likes tennis.
b. What his taste in racquets is.
c. The difference between a good deal and a bad deal.

VGP
08-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Actually, you know what...I got a slightly cracked Wilson KBlade 98 I can send to you for free, just cover shipping. It is strung and hits just fine.

Meh he is already spending money on classes - why not on a proper racket?

And like I said - I'll give him one.

Seriously? A "proper" racket to you is a broken one? Now that's crap.

He's taking group lessons. With all this talk and with his burgeoning interest, he could well be onto a different frame soon. But, bottom line.....for now what he has is fine. Just fine.

As for "respectable" that depends on your point of view. I can get many a "respectable" frame at the thrift store for $2-$4 dollars. Also, there are many a $200 frame new that I wouldn't touch. It just takes a bit of experience to know what's good for your game. He's just not there yet.

willshot
08-07-2011, 09:13 PM
What ever you do, don't wear a tennis shirt with a collar. That's only for recreational pros. weekend warriors. lol

asabet
08-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Guess what.

The nTour racquet you bought at Costco or Target only looks like a graphite racquet. Actually, what you got in all likelihood was a fusion racquet, in other words, an aluminum racquet dressed up to look like a graphite racquet. Not a bargain.

Guess what, yourself. There's no way Costco or Target is selling fake/knockoff racquets, and the model I got is definitely an nCode nTour 95, which is not an aluminum racquet. I've been playing for over 30 years, have owned a lot of racquets. I can still play with those nTour racquets in place of my BLX 6.1 95s, and aside from being light, they feel great. I would know if they were fusion racquets.

Anton
08-08-2011, 05:51 AM
Seriously? A "proper" racket to you is a broken one? Now that's crap.

He's taking group lessons. With all this talk and with his burgeoning interest, he could well be onto a different frame soon. But, bottom line.....for now what he has is fine. Just fine.

As for "respectable" that depends on your point of view. I can get many a "respectable" frame at the thrift store for $2-$4 dollars. Also, there are many a $200 frame new that I wouldn't touch. It just takes a bit of experience to know what's good for your game. He's just not there yet.

It's not broken, it is slightly cracked on one of the loop arms above the handle (not loop itself). I hit with it, it hit well and I didn't notice any strange flex,

And yes a proper frame. Which aluminum wallmart frame isn't.

Anton
08-08-2011, 05:55 AM
Guess what.

No - nTour rackets were graphite frames and were widely sold at discounted prices for a while, I think I still seen some at models just the other day.

Alejandro Lanza
08-08-2011, 06:29 AM
Thanks for all the feedback, this is truly a great forum. Some comments:

- Inevitably i've started to take a look at better racquets, my thought process being that worse case scenario the racquet should be easy to sell back. Still, as originally said i don't plan on investing much money on that in the next few months, but xmas will be here before i know it, and me being me i like to do research before buying so i want to be ready for when my wife says what do i want for xmas :)
- I've also thought that restring time is when to make the jump, though i was just told restringing with similar strings to the stock ones is rather cheap here ($16 or so).
- As for the Federer 110 balance, i can tell you its mass center lies exactly where the center strings meet the bottom of the frame. I don't know whether that means it's head heavy or light.
- I'm trying to make a few exercises (http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/rotator-cuff-exercises.html)and YTWL's to prevent tennis elbow and shoulder issues. Not that i'm feeling any pain right now and as stated i'm certainly not hitting the ball too hard, but being i haven't done much sports in the last 17 years i prefer to be cautious. I'm also hoping my multi discpline approach will help balance my body (tennis mainly, with bits of basketball, running and gym in between)
- Only done it once, but 2 weeks ago i played against the wall under very heavy rain for 2 hrs or so straight, wonderful experience. So i can probably use the cheap Federer for that and keep the new racquet for dry conditions

@Anton. Thanks so much, that's a very generous offer. Now i've never been one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but being i'm new to this i'm not sure i understand the implications of what it means for a racquet to be slightly cracked. Does that mean a broken frame, or just a few chips/indentations in the frame?
One thing i need to point out is that I live in Costa Rica, so I get things delivered to a friend in Doral, FL who in turn sends them my way, meaning i need to pay further shipping/taxes to get it here. For example my Babolat shoes were $70 online, but by the time they were in my hands i had paid an additional $50 on top of that. Of course an used racquet shouldn't draw as much attention from a customs tax officer, but nevertheless i do have to budget some $30 for an used racquet on top of the in US shipping.

Question for all: i see the Head Liquidmetal Radical MP receives many props from many, but i also see 5 discounted Youtek models for only $10 more: Speed 18x20, Speed 16x19, Speed Pro, Speed Elite and Speed Lite (which UCSF2012 already recommended). Without having investigated much it seems to me the Youtek's are overall better racquets, or do i have that wrong? i guess some of you may be rolling your eyes after reading such a generic question, but since the subject was brought up i thought i might as well throw that out there.

ben123
08-08-2011, 06:39 AM
Question for all: i see the Head Liquidmetal Radical MP receives many props from many, but i also see 5 discounted Youtek models for only $10 more: Speed 18x20, Speed 16x19, Speed Pro, Speed Elite and Speed Lite (which UCSF2012 already recommended). Without having investigated much it seems to me the Youtek's are overall better racquets, or do i have that wrong? i guess some of you may be rolling your eyes after reading such a generic question, but since the subject was brought up i thought i might as well throw that out there.

well its like this: u cant say one racquet is better than the other. they are actually all just graphite. but some racquet specs fits a special person more than others.
and u should know just bc new racquets come out with "new technology" blabla they are not better. most pros use very old sticks with just a paintjob from the new racquet line over their racquets to get marketing payment.
back to the liquidmetal vs youtek id recommend the liquidmetal. its a rly popular frame and many ppl love it. but the youteks are also not bad

Anton
08-08-2011, 07:30 AM
@Anton. Thanks so much, that's a very generous offer. Now i've never been one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but being i'm new to this i'm not sure i understand the implications of what it means for a racquet to be slightly cracked. Does that mean a broken frame, or just a few chips/indentations in the frame?
One thing i need to point out is that I live in Costa Rica, so I get things delivered to a friend in Doral, FL who in turn sends them my way, meaning i need to pay further shipping/taxes to get it here. For example my Babolat shoes were $70 online, but by the time they were in my hands i had paid an additional $50 on top of that. Of course an used racquet shouldn't draw as much attention from a customs tax officer, but nevertheless i do have to budget some $30 for an used racquet on top of the in US shipping.

If it will cost you more then $10 Then I'd say don't take up my offer. I'll give it to some kid in the tennis camp.

A crack can be ok or it can spread and the racket can break - no way to know really.

Liquid Radical MP is widely advised as the first frame because it is in many ways a golden medium and can fit just about any type of player.

It's not too big, not too small, not too stiff not too flexy, not too light not too heavy - it's a good starting point to figure out where you want to go.

rufusbgood
08-08-2011, 07:52 AM
Guess what, yourself. There's no way Costco or Target is selling fake/knockoff racquets, and the model I got is definitely an nCode nTour 95, which is not an aluminum racquet. I've been playing for over 30 years, have owned a lot of racquets. I can still play with those nTour racquets in place of my BLX 6.1 95s, and aside from being light, they feel great. I would know if they were fusion racquets.

If you still have these racquets please post photos of the buttcaps and the holograms from the throat area. Here's what I am expecting you will find. No holograms and no trap doors in the buttcaps. These are the first two signs that you have a fusion racquet. Costco has been selling these things for years. I'm not suggesting they are fakes. I believe it's Wilson product. But they aren't graphite racquets. Here's a couple pics of a "Wilson n4" from Costco. Note the way the core of the handle is two distinctly separate chambers. That's aluminum.

http://i55.tinypic.com/105ck07.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/sl4sw1.jpg

asabet
08-08-2011, 01:28 PM
If you still have these racquets please post photos of the buttcaps and the holograms from the throat area. Here's what I am expecting you will find. No holograms and no trap doors in the buttcaps. These are the first two signs that you have a fusion racquet. Costco has been selling these things for years. I'm not suggesting they are fakes. I believe it's Wilson product. But they aren't graphite racquets. Here's a couple pics of a "Wilson n4" from Costco. Note the way the core of the handle is two distinctly separate chambers. That's aluminum.

Here you go:

Racquet:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6185/6023577418_63db71e4fa_z.jpg

Buttcap:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6125/6023576178_0a41a16f09_z.jpg

Hologram:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6126/6023574982_359ae6ea34_z.jpg

I was wrong about where I got them, though. I thought it had been Costco or Target, but I called my friend who was with me when we bought them, and he reminded me that we bought them at ******** Sports. At the time, they were under $70 per racquet, and we each bought three of them because they seemed like a good deal.

Although I had the store wrong, my point is unchanged. If you look around, you can find deals on decent graphite racquets in this modest price range, and to me it seems worthwhile to go that route if you care enough about tennis to take lessons and post in this forum.

rufusbgood
08-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Although I had the store wrong, my point is unchanged. If you look around, you can find deals on decent graphite racquets in this modest price range, and to me it seems worthwhile to go that route if you care enough about tennis to take lessons and post in this forum.

Valid point on there being deals out there if you look. When you suggested Costco though my "no, not there" alarm went off.

Alejandro Lanza
08-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks a lot for all the various replies/feedback, you guys are making this a whole lot easier and i'm getting a lot more info than i initially thought i would.
Thanks a lot for the offer Anton, i agree with your assessment and will probably save those shipping $ to Costa Rica for whichever racquet i decide on in the future!

BMC9670
08-08-2011, 02:37 PM
one more for saying your racket is just fine for now. one thing I will add though about tennis clothes is that you should make sure to buy shorts with pockets.

YES! It's frustrating how many non-tennis-specific athletic shorts do not have pockets. A must.

asabet
08-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Valid point on there being deals out there if you look. When you suggested Costco though my "no, not there" alarm went off.

Fair enough. That's good to know about Costco!

sandiegoman
08-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Go out and buy a Wilson ProStaff racquet.

Just kidding

Alejandro Lanza
08-23-2011, 05:58 AM
Hello team,

On this same subject, I have a question about my Wilson's grip size being too small for me. A guy who is with me at tennis class offered to sell me an used LM 8 for $70 (not as bad as it sounds, remember i'm not in the US), which after reading here in these forums may not be the best choice, it sounds to me i'm still better off keeping the cheap wilson and then investing some $130 or so around xmas in a MG or LM radical (probably MP).
However i did demo this LM 8 and of course it felt much better than the wilson federer, none of the nasty vibration, much more solid and especially a comparatively huge sweetspot (which makes me think the wilson's small sweetspot may be good to train me for precision as it's so unforgiving). On the other hand it had way too much power and perhaps felt a bit harsher on my arm.
Anyways, the guy offering me the Head pointed out to me that the wilson is 4 3/8, meaning i touch my palm with my index finger, and the Head has a 1/2 grip which is probably my right size (a finger's width fits between index and palm). And reading here i saw that a too small grip may lead to elbow issues, and that tells me i may have to invest on a new racquet sooner rather than later.
Thoughts? can an overgrip or similar tide my by? not sure that at the moment i can fork out the ~$130 that would cost me to buy and then get shipped out a nice radical here in Costa Rica, but $70 for that LM 8 is more doable, then again i haven't heard too many good things about it and would feel silly to outgrow it too quickly and still need a new racquet around xmas. Then again i definitely don't want to get elbow problems.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Alejandro

Paul B 40-15
08-23-2011, 04:08 PM
I bought myself one of these rackets a few months ago as my "get back in to tennis" racket.
my advice to you would be to stick with it until you feel you need a better racket, not just because you want one.
get a vibration dampener too or you will get a constant annoying ping from the strings every time you hit the ball.

happy tennis.

rufusbgood
08-23-2011, 08:26 PM
First, proper grip size. Your index finger is not relevant here. You need to look at the space between your ring finger and the base of your thumb. The old rule of thumb was a finger's width of space there. In recent years people have tended toward smaller grips. Often mentioned is that Nadal is playing with a 4-1/4, one size smaller than yours. And Federer is playing with a 4-3/8, same as you. In any case, putting an overgrip on will bring you pretty close to a 4-1/2.

If the Liquidmetal 8 felt overly powerful to you, congratulations, you are on your way to knowing what it is you should not be playing with. Trust your instincts. It's probably not the right racquet for you. I personally don't think the Radical MP is going to be right for you either, but something between these two racquets should be.

sansaephanh
08-24-2011, 02:34 AM
I'm a geek. I had some hand me down rackets cause got excited over a stupid anime (Prince of Tennis lmao) and went out and learned tennis with a small group of friends on our own. Great times. We had random slices breaking everywhere with everything from toy rackets to tweener rackets from garage sales/flea market finds. We even found a nice Wilson Sting! Greaat graphite racket it was my main for years.

just go out there and swing it out man. I held my own in rallies with people 100 times better than me cause of how much fun i was having when we first started. Even managed to lose 50lbs over a short summer.

Can't go wrong with a racket with Fed's name on it!(lol)

Alejandro Lanza
08-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Thanks for all the replies,

@Rufus, thanks for the insight and for answering my grip question, the ringfinger clarification is appreciated. On the 3/8 basically all my fingers (if i recall correctly, at work now) rub against my thumb or its base. When i handled the 1/2 it obviously felt a bit too big, but probably just because i'm not used to it, however it perhaps felt more difficult to move my wrist with that one, then again it was only for an hour or so and not in a match, so i can't say anything conclusive i guess.
Very interested in what you mention regarding what my perception of the LM 8 was. Off the top of your head what would you say is a good racquet that's in between those two, preferably below $90 in the US?

@Paul, yes indeed i'm happy with the results of a dampener, it did remove most of that pinging noise :)

@Sansaephanh, that's funny, never heard of that anime before, and yeah that's what i thought, this must be what Federer uses if it's got his name on it! lol

Cheers!

Donny0627
08-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Dont worry about equipment now... just go out and have fun. And if you dont wanna be spending hundreds of dollars a month on stringing, I would suggest you stay away from the string forum... :)

sansaephanh
08-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Dont worry about equipment now... just go out and have fun. And if you dont wanna be spending hundreds of dollars a month on stringing, I would suggest you stay away from the string forum... :)

^^^LOL i kinda fell into that trap, though i'm too poor to afford said strings. I stick to Prince synth (sub 5 bux a set) and FiberGel Power when i'm feeling rich (sub 7 bux a set). lol.

Paul B 40-15
08-25-2011, 02:25 PM
as I mentioned in an earlier post, I bought myself one of these rackets after not playing for about two years.
what would be a good upgrade from this racket?

Paul B 40-15
08-27-2011, 09:26 AM
does anyone know what the string tension of this racket, or what the tension range is?
there is no mention of it on the racket.

rufusbgood
08-27-2011, 10:12 AM
@Rufus, thanks for the insight and for answering my grip question, the ringfinger clarification is appreciated. On the 3/8 basically all my fingers (if i recall correctly, at work now) rub against my thumb or its base. When i handled the 1/2 it obviously felt a bit too big, but probably just because i'm not used to it, however it perhaps felt more difficult to move my wrist with that one, then again it was only for an hour or so and not in a match, so i can't say anything conclusive i guess.
Very interested in what you mention regarding what my perception of the LM 8 was. Off the top of your head what would you say is a good racquet that's in between those two, preferably below $90 in the US?

A 4-1/2 should not feel too big to you if your fingers are touching the base of your thumb when you hold a 4-3/8. Again, I agree with the advice you've been getting to play the racquet you have. The longer you wait to replace it the better. Given time, you will have a better understanding of what grip size works best for you, whether you want to continue with oversize racquets, whether you want a racquet with an open string pattern or a dense one, etc. You've already demoed a Liquidmetal 8 which is an oversize with an open string pattern. Take advantage of every opportunity you get to try out somebody else's racquet.

As far as racquets in between a LM 8 and a Radical MP, I took a look at the TW "Sale" racquets and saw this one. It's in your price range and is something of a "tweener". I still say it's early yet for a change but since you asked, here ya go: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_K_Factor_KFierce_FX/descpageRCWILSON-KFRC.html

Alejandro Lanza
08-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Many thanks for the great advice as always Rufus. Just yesterday i went to get the overgrip and the guy installed it and i'm loving how the racquet feels, even if i hadn't had a chance to go hit with it but i'm dying to. Even if i may have to play lefty as my right shoulder decided to injure itself while watching tv on Sunday night, which i found odd as i played thu, fri and sat and had no issues at all, then suddenly Sunday night it was painful to lift it laterally beyond shoulder height.
Anyways, thanks again!