PDA

View Full Version : How does the For Sale/Trade forum work??

Edberg's Iceburg
07-04-2005, 11:54 AM
I am new to this forum and had a couple questions about the way the For Sale/Trade forums work. I tried to post this same question in that forum but no one responded (or maybe they did but it is taking days for TW to filter the responses). I also tried to search but it is kind of a difficult question to search for. Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

1. How are transactions completed? It would seem somewhat foolish for me to send my money to someone I have never met hoping that they will send me the racquets they promised over an anonymous internet message board. By the same token it would be risky for them to send me racquets without any money. I noticed some ads mention that they have references on the board, which i guess would be somewhat helpful. Do people generally use escrow services? Or are things just on the honor system here?

2. Is it useful to search through old posts? I searched for the racquet that I was interested in and there were several posts that were 1 month old or greater that were selling the one I was interested in. Is it useful for me to reply to these old posts? I only found 1 post where the person had edited it to say that the racquets were sold. All the others just didn't have any replies.

Thanks for any help that you can provide...

TennsDog
07-04-2005, 01:55 PM
It is pretty much on the honor system. However, different people can have different ways of paying. I prefer to use PayPal, as they have buyer's protection. I have done transactions other ways, though. But people here are honest, and I have never felt that buying or selling here was very risky -- I have actually felt less secure during certain **** auctions. As for no replies, that is not due to filtering, no one replied.

I think it can be useful sometimes to look through older posts. Most of the time, if they don't sell, the seller will repost the item later. Sometimes they don't (or haven't yet) and you can still buy from an older thread. It never hurts to check.

goober
07-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Yep honor system. Most (>90-95%) are honest. But check the reference section and do a search. I also have found that long time posters are 100% reliable while somebody new who just joined the forums to try to sell something are where most of the problems occur.

Oh yes it is worthwhile to search old posts because a lot of people don't sell their item on the initial posting - like me :D