PDA

View Full Version : TW demos - can you re-string?

BMC9670
08-05-2011, 05:23 PM
A question for TW: Do you ship demos with a "standard" string or does it vary from frame to frame. Also, can I re-string with my preference to demo a frame?

Ten_nuts
08-05-2011, 08:20 PM
I agree that the demo racquets always come with cheap strings that, in my opinion, are not playable. And to answer your question, yes you can re-string the demo racquets with your own favorite strings. I always cut the strings on demo racquets and re-string them with my own strings. Why did i say yes? The first time i re-strung the demo racquets, i picked up the phone and called TW, and they said that i can re-string the demo racquets as long as i don't get them damage (damage here means crack). Scratches are ok because demo racquets always have lots of scratches.

TW Staff
08-06-2011, 06:28 AM
I agree that the demo racquets always come with cheap strings that, in my opinion, are not playable. And to answer your question, yes you can re-string the demo racquets with your own favorite strings. I always cut the strings on demo racquets and re-string them with my own strings. Why did i say yes? The first time i re-strung the demo racquets, i picked up the phone and called TW, and they said that i can re-string the demo racquets as long as i don't get them damage (damage here means crack). Scratches are ok because demo racquets always have lots of scratches.

This would be incorrect. We do NOT allow you to re-string our demos. Please contact our customer service if you have an issue with the demo, as we will send you out another.

Regarding the quality of string, we usually use a multifilament supplied by the vendor. Our default string is Wilson NXT. They aren't cheap strings. Unfortunately we cannot string each demo fresh before they ship out. If we did that, we wouldn't be able to have a demo program from a logistics standpoint.

Again, if you have an issue with the string, call customer service and request a replacement demo. There are several issues that can arise from stringing our demos yourselves.

Regards,

Spencer, TW.

dParis
08-06-2011, 06:58 AM
^^^

You don't wake these guys up at 7:30am on a Saturday morning unless there's a big problem. :)

When I read Ten_Nuts post last night it got me pretty angry, but I was dozing off as I was going to reply. From the TW perspective, they have their reasons for not wanting people to re-string their demos. From the consumer standpoint, it's disappointing to receive a box of demos with somebody else's string job on each racquet. Personally, I wouldn't care if the "demo-ers" re-re-strung the racquet to the way they received it before sending it back to TW. But the percentage of people who do that is probably around 0%. It's rather ignorant and rude to send the racquet back to TW and expect them to string it fresh before sending it out again.

VGP
08-06-2011, 11:31 AM
I figured TW would respond. I recall Spencer previously saying this.

I might also add that TW doesn't want you otherwise changing the demo rackets by replacing the grips, adding lead tape, injecting silicone, etc.

zumzool
08-06-2011, 11:59 AM
yes, there is nothing more frustrating then getting a demo racquet that's been altered. it's just inconsiderate to the other people who demo those racquets....

if you want to alter a racquet beyond an over grip, i suggest buying the racquet and doing an extended demo....

dParis
08-06-2011, 12:06 PM
I might also add that TW doesn't want you otherwise changing the demo rackets by replacing the grips, adding lead tape, injecting silicone, etc.
You'd think this would go without saying, but it probably needed to be said.

sphinx780
08-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Rightly so, you'd think this would all go without saying....

If you want to do customize the racquet for a test drive, then I'd suggest using the For Sale thread and pick one up cheap to try out until your hearts content.

If I lent a racquet of mine to you to try out, I'd be pretty po'd if you leaded it up, changed the strings or anything of that nature and I have no intention of selling it to you.

That being said, OP, it's still not a bad question to ask. Better to ask than do it and not see why it's a problem.