PDA

View Full Version : Switching from POG.

Miykeaul
08-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Anyone know a racquet that is like the POG, but has a bigger headsize that's not over 100?

Miykeaul
08-05-2011, 11:31 PM
And has a bit more power.

Edward DFW
08-06-2011, 08:06 PM
I went from POG OS to the Ozone Tour MP. I demoed 4 racquets, the Microgel Radical OS, AeroProDrive Cortex, Exo3 Graphite 100 and the Ozone Tour. I picked the Ozone Tour because a 4th racquet wasn't going to cost me any extra to demo and a guy who I play with and respect played with one. I never expected to choose it, I just thought it might be interesting to hit with.

Out of those 4 it was by far the best stick for me. I didn't feel much difference going down 10 sq inches from my POG 110's because of the wide head shape and large sweet spot. Spin was great, feel was great and soft on my arm. I had to buy a few after that demo.

P.S. I know I said it was 1 of 4 (which it was) but prior to that I had hit with over a dozen racquets over the last couple of years so I had a good idea of what worked and didn't work for me.

whomad15
08-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Rebel, graphite100, pog longbody. Some people rave about the longbody cut down to 27" with lead added

Miykeaul
08-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try them out for a demo. Too bad they don't have the Ozone Tour in my grip size. I just demoed the Youtek 18x20 and 16x19; it was too light. The Babolat Pure Storm Tour was pretty close, but I just wish I could've strung it a higher.

nkjwlf
08-07-2011, 05:53 PM
I took ten years off from tennis and just came back to playing competively this year. I played with 4 stripe POG's mid size for 7 years before the layoff from playing. I demoed many a racquet from TW and tried my cousin's Head Radical that he uses in college tennis. With new string technology the old graphite just didn't cut it. I didn't want to be a poser and get an Aero Drive or Pure Drive. I can't stand new Prince racquets nowadays and was never a Wilson fan. I did like the Babolat Pure Storm Tour and convinced my cousin to start the change over from the Radical after his Senior season. I ended up getting an Aero Storm Tour for myself. The racquet just felt right. It was comfortable like my POG yet had the power of today's racquets. Its not too stiff and has plenty of feel at net. The Aero Storm serves harder and more accurate than the POG ever could. I still have my POG's as backups but the Aero Storm Tour's is such a sweet stick. Full Luxilon ALU hasn't hurt a bit, yet that is. I added some lead at the 2' and 10' to raise the sweetspot a little and get a little more stability. I also put some Blue Tack in the handle and the racquet has the same static feel as the POG. Try the Aero Storm Tour you will be surprised.

mad dog1
08-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try them out for a demo. Too bad they don't have the Ozone Tour in my grip size. I just demoed the Youtek 18x20 and 16x19; it was too light. The Babolat Pure Storm Tour was pretty close, but I just wish I could've strung it a higher.

i was going to suggest the Pure Storm Tour GT. the specs are very close to the POG OS and the head size is 98 sq in. it's a solid, comfortable hit overall.

TripleB
08-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Ozone Tour and Gamma T-7 are the two closest I've found...and I've been looking for something like that for 15 years.

TripleB

Miykeaul
08-10-2011, 11:45 PM
I took ten years off from tennis and just came back to playing competively this year. I played with 4 stripe POG's mid size for 7 years before the layoff from playing. I demoed many a racquet from TW and tried my cousin's Head Radical that he uses in college tennis. With new string technology the old graphite just didn't cut it. I didn't want to be a poser and get an Aero Drive or Pure Drive. I can't stand new Prince racquets nowadays and was never a Wilson fan. I did like the Babolat Pure Storm Tour and convinced my cousin to start the change over from the Radical after his Senior season. I ended up getting an Aero Storm Tour for myself. The racquet just felt right. It was comfortable like my POG yet had the power of today's racquets. Its not too stiff and has plenty of feel at net. The Aero Storm serves harder and more accurate than the POG ever could. I still have my POG's as backups but the Aero Storm Tour's is such a sweet stick. Full Luxilon ALU hasn't hurt a bit, yet that is. I added some lead at the 2' and 10' to raise the sweetspot a little and get a little more stability. I also put some Blue Tack in the handle and the racquet has the same static feel as the POG. Try the Aero Storm Tour you will be surprised.

I just demoed my friends Aero Storm Tour GT and I just can't get over that "cortex" feel. It just doesn't feel right to me.

Miykeaul
08-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Ozone Tour and Gamma T-7 are the two closest I've found...and I've been looking for something like that for 15 years.

TripleB

I'll have to look into that Gamma.