PDA

View Full Version : How to make my racket heavier but..

Nikae
08-06-2011, 12:20 AM
I use this racket:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_YOUTEK_IG_Speed_Elite/descpageRCHEAD-HSE.html

the problem is, when I play against someone who hits hard, the racket will twist in my hand on the off-center hits sometimes (its not my grip size, my grip size is good), or the racket will bounce back because the shot was strong (especially on volleys), I can even feel the weight of the ball when they are new.

all in all, I have to make the racket heavier. Now, all I got is 2 pieces of 5grams.

-Will adding 5 grams at the tip of the racket, and 5 grams under the but cap work? Or that would make racket even less stable?

-Would adding them to 9 and 3 o'clock (5grams on each side) make racket head heavy too much? I don't serve and volley, but I run to the net after every short ball that hit.

I use extreme eastern forehand grip, play mostly from baseline, and play ONLY on clay courts. I am about 4.0 player.
And English is my second language :)

Ben Hadd
08-06-2011, 01:05 AM
Gonna take more than 5 grams imo.

Bartelby
08-06-2011, 01:09 AM
4 grams at 3 and 9 and 4 grams under butt cap would be the best for volleys with what you've got.

vndesu
08-06-2011, 01:11 AM
have u tried a leather grip?

Rogael Naderer
08-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Usually I'd say sort your technique...even the KPS88 twists in my hand on some volleys and heavy returns, it's MY fault when it does.

However that that racquet is very light, I'd definitely go with some lead at 3 and 9, 2 or 3 grams either side and about 3-5 grams in the butt (you can use blue-tack or lead or a combination of the two.)

Do you use overgrips? Tacky ones? What's the condition of your grip?

Bartelby
08-06-2011, 02:08 AM
Yes, the racquet will twist when you don't hit the volleys far enough out in front.

Nikae
08-06-2011, 02:17 AM
Volleys aren't my main problems, its more on my ground strokes.

Would adding 5g at 12 o'clock and 5 grams under but cap accomplish something?

Or would that make my racket even more unstable.

Nikae
08-06-2011, 02:20 AM
I use 2 overgrips, one is babolat 0.6mm thickness and second is pros pro 0.45mm.

I use bumper also.

Making the racket 305-310grams total.

corners
08-06-2011, 02:38 AM
5 grams at 12 will raise your swingweight by 20 units or so. The racquet will have more inherent pop with that setup but you won't be able swing as fast.

Twisting is caused by off center hits. Two ways to fix that:

1) Hit the ball in the center of the strings.

2) Increase the twistweight of the racquet. 3&9 is the place to increase twistweight. 5 grams at 3&9 will increase your twistweight considerably but only raise your swingweight by a manageable 10 units. If you hit off center it will still twist, but not as much, and your shots from those off center hits will have a little more speed.

Bartleby's right, I think. 4 grams at 3&9 and 4 grams in the butt (or at the top of the grip, which would keep the balance the same.)

fuzz nation
08-06-2011, 04:01 AM
I've stabilized a couple of lighter racquets nicely by adding 3/9 o'clock lead tape to the hoop. I'd go that route instead of placing any up at 12 o'clock.

If you want to also put some weight under the butt cap, I'd save your lead tape and put something else in there like a fishing weight wrapped in something that will keep it still. I'm assuming that when you say "under the butt cap", you're going to put this extra weight inside the racquet's handle.

Although the racquet may feel a little less head-light when you add some lead tape to the hoop, you'd be smart to try it like that before you also go ahead and put some weight under the handle (under the butt cap). It may feel and play okay for you without it.

movdqa
08-06-2011, 04:12 AM
I'd agree with trying to find something else to put in the butt cap. Ideally you'd want something removable (in case you want to sell or trade it later on). You want to make sure that if you use something small and loose (friend use BB-shot on one of his frames), that it doesn't fall into the hoop where it could create rattles.

Zagor Tenay
08-06-2011, 04:39 AM
As you said adding weight to appropriate sides may be a solution but the major cause of twisting racket at your hand is missing sweet spot.

movdqa
08-06-2011, 04:44 AM
There are slow-motion YouTube videos out there that show Federer's racquet twisting when he hits a shot so missing the center causes twisting but we all do that to some extent; some more than others.

Adding weight at 3 and 9 should decrease the twisting. It would be nice to counterbalance in the handle though.