PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Racquet Purchase - A little help (Prince/Head users)

Jim A
08-07-2011, 09:41 AM
About a month ago, my wife mentions wanting to take a tennis class and has really taken to it. In fact the past 2 Friday's, I've been on the court and ball machine. I think she'll be able to play some 6.0 Mixed by early spring and we'll go from there...

I know what I'm looking for in a racquet and have stayed with my Speedport Tour so far, but helping someone else is new.

At the point where we are going to get her a racquet of her own. We had borrowed an Airflow Crossbow 7 from a friend and I thought the 115sq in, etc would be good, but its too light and too big

She's demoed some from Wilson/Babolat and didn't like the feel of either the other day. I think we are going to be looking for 102-110 9.9-10.3 oz strung etc and pretty much narrowed it down to some Prince/Head racquets.

She liked the Exo3 Blue but I'm looking at the 03 since its about 1/2 the price, if not less - any info from people who have made the change between the 2 or 03 to Exo3 (I checked a prior thread), and possibly the Hybrid 104 as well - haven't seen much feedback on that one..looks like it has been cleared out in most spots already

Also looking at either the Head Instinct S (Good review TW!) and the YouTek Five Star -

Thanks for the help

whomad15
08-07-2011, 10:35 AM
The racquets are very similar. The blue and red would both be good choices.
Can't comment on head since I don't use them.

PandaKing
08-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Personally, I have the Exo3 blue. Used it only once, no feel at all. Compared to my Volkl or my Head flexppoint.

Larrysümmers
08-07-2011, 10:53 AM
its not a TW racket, but at dicks i got a head ti tornado, and it was really good, i used it when i first learned to play

Jim A
08-07-2011, 04:06 PM
just ordered the O3 blue from TW

went down to the PGA Superstore today and tried the Exo3 Blue/Red Dunlop Biomimetic 600 Lite, Instinct (was hoping they had the S or You Tek Five Star) and some others...she kept going back to the Blue. Nice to have a full court to hit demos with...she hit best with it too

some differences between the 03 and Exo 3 but I think the $100 will be best spent on drills/lessons/ball machine then a slightly different port hole and she seemed ok with 27.5" options..