PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with ProKennex 7G vs 5G

tennis-kid
08-08-2011, 01:12 AM
I hear more good things about Prokennex 7G than 5G and more people like 7G compare to 5G.

I demoed myself 7G but there was no more 5G demo in TW so I can't compare them both. I know there are many people who had both racquet or demoed them. I have a quetion for you.
I know how good 7G is. But I felt very awkard feeling after I played with 7G and go back to regular length racquets so I decided not to buy 7G.
Now I am considering to buy 5G.
They are same racquet except the 1/2" length, SW, and balance point (just 1 point). They are exactly same weight and material.

So, do you think if I increase SW on 5G to 7G will it be like playing 7G? I am thinking adding lead at 12 o'clock
What would make 5G playing like 7G? any other idea?
Thanks

adventure
08-08-2011, 01:30 AM
They both sound like great racquets. I think you'll be happy with either one.

Congratulations on choosing a racquet which will protect your arm.

el sergento
08-08-2011, 06:24 AM
Here's what you could do.

Stick with the 7G, but if the extra length becomes problematic, just shorten it to standard length.

I've been mucking around with the 7G myself and it's an awesome performer. By the sound of it, the 5G is similar, but lacks the ooomph of the 7G.

Difference isn't just length by the way, the 5G has a much lower SW. It'll probably be whippier, but will lack plow and weight of shot.

You could also do a racquet power comparison using the TW university tool.

Good luck

Power Player
08-08-2011, 06:26 AM
I have not used the 5G, but I have read enough info to know that I don't want to. I think the 7G is a special stick and you need to put in the time to get used to the XL.

It is worth it..XL gives you so many advantages that you may never want a standard length again. I am now in that camp. I used to think XL was awkward too.

Now you may be a pretty tall guy. I don't know, but Roddick uses a 27.5.

It simply takes adjusting your spacing and then you will never notice the difference again.

ricardo
08-08-2011, 06:35 AM
I have both, the 5g and the 7g.

I bought the 5g first. 3 months later i bought the 7g.

I like the 7g so much more that i sold the 5g.

To me, the difference between the two rackets is night and day; the 7g is significantly better than the 5g.

Power Player
08-08-2011, 06:39 AM

To me, the difference between the two rackets is night and day; the 7g is significantly better than the 5g.

I keep hearing this over and over.

The feel of the 7G is incredible, in addition to how easy it is to play tennis with it.

I always add a little lead at the tip and that makes it incredibly lethal as well.

prjacobs
08-08-2011, 08:20 AM
I only hit with the 5G once and it felt nothing like I expected it to. Maybe I had a bad day... I'm going to add some lead and see if it improves. Stock, I didn't like it at all.

Kcraig
08-08-2011, 11:26 AM
I only hit with the 5G once and it felt nothing like I expected it to. Maybe I had a bad day... I'm going to add some lead and see if it improves. Stock, I didn't like it at all.

about sums up my experience as well--even added a little lead (4g) and didn't help out too much. 7g is better of the 2 in my opine:)

BMC9670
08-08-2011, 02:22 PM

Can you elaborate on the differences you experienced specifically? I've been using he 5G for about a year and a half now and like it, but feel like at times I could use more power. I've been experimenting with different strings and tensions to help this, but find that when I lower tension on a multi (which I have to use for softness, read: shoulder issues) I lose to much control. Maybe the 7G could be the answer?

Power Player
08-08-2011, 02:37 PM
^^^

Ill be honest - yes. From what everyone says you should give the 7G a run if you need a power upgrade.

tennis-kid
08-08-2011, 02:44 PM
I just don't understand why it can be so different between two racquets. They are basically same racquet. Only difference is XL and SW. Since 7G is a little longer it should have heavier SW. I just assume that if I increase 5G racquet's SW, it would play like 7G but most people seem like disagree. I am gonna wait for more opinions.

tennis-kid
08-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Another reason I am trying to stay with normal length is that I like Prince EXO3 tour too :-)
So, I am planning to play alternatively with 5G. I don't think I can quick adjust spacing during game. If there is no way to make 5G like 7G, I maybe have to use 7G