PDA

View Full Version : blx 90 for intermediate player

tennis88
08-08-2011, 03:38 AM
Hi
I have been playing with an nCode six one 95 16*18 for 5 years and want to update. i have really enjoyed the racquet but want to try something new. I have just started playing mens club tennis, preiviously only played with my family.

I recently tried the blx six one tour out of curiosity and really enjoyed it. i liked the feel, control and could hit a very powerful deep heavy top spin forehand with it. i was no more inconsistent with it than my nCode six one 95.

I am 21 and an athletic 15st i have no trouble generating my own power, or with coordination.

i have a very agressive style of play, would this be a good racquet to start my mens club tennis with? if not why not? and what would be better?

Thanks very much for your help

R

trilix
08-08-2011, 04:04 AM
If you feel your play isn't hurting from using the blx 90, then there is no reason for not using this racquet. If you like it and enjoy it, then go for it.

prjacobs
08-08-2011, 05:25 AM
If you feel your play isn't hurting from using the blx 90, then there is no reason for not using this racquet. If you like it and enjoy it, then go for it.

Agreed. If you're a good athlete, there's no reason why you can't use an "advanced" frame. I did the same thing and my game quickly progressed. I also played a lot and took a ton of lessons which didn't hurt either :) .

TheBoom
08-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Like they said if you can play with it well you might as well! I have the k factor version and its fun to smack come balls with every now and again

tennis88
08-09-2011, 12:26 AM
Is there another racquet I should try that would help to improve my game more, as i adjust to the higher ball speed of mens club tennis?

I know a good racquet is no substitute for practice!

Thanks for your help

vincent_tennis
08-09-2011, 12:43 AM
if you like it use it xD
its not like u;re going pro :p

Orion3
08-09-2011, 12:46 AM
If you can play with it - carry on!

A smaller head size forces you to improve and the difference in frame characteristics will either suit your game or not. If you say it does, then the best of luck to you.

AndrewD
08-09-2011, 01:50 AM
I have just started playing mens club tennis, preiviously only played with my family.

R,

If you want the most expert opinion possible, simply get a blx90 demo and use it in a competition or in one of your club matches - not just against family. You'll soon find out whether it's a good fit for your game or not.

Centryx
08-09-2011, 02:01 AM
i just got a blx tour and its pretty sweet, i couldn't pass up the deal i got on the pair i picked up =) ($110 each new) its got some power to it

Timbo's hopeless slice
08-09-2011, 03:37 AM
An athletic 15 stone? Pardon? What are you, 7 foot tall??

martini1
08-09-2011, 03:54 AM
Once you know how to hit thru the ball, any tour 90 stick is good. You don't need to wait for it until you hit 4.5-5.0. The stick will also tell you / teach you to hit the ball clean because off sweet spot hits are going nowhere.

Now whether you can win a match with the 90 is a different story...

tennis88
08-09-2011, 07:11 AM
An athletic 15 stone? Pardon? What are you, 7 foot tall??

No a 6ft blindside flanker (rugby)!!

Thanks for all your help. Think I will also try a six one 95 and maybe a blade 98 before I buy.

No not going pro but don't like losing!!!

quest01
08-09-2011, 07:37 AM
The blx90 is designed for at least 4.0's and higher who play an all court game. If your mostly a baseline player then this racquet is not for you, this is not the kind of racquet for long baseline exchanges. I would stick with the 95 head size or higher unless your at a point in the future where you fit into this category.

Timbo's hopeless slice
08-09-2011, 10:33 PM
No a 6ft blindside flanker (rugby)!!

Thanks for all your help. Think I will also try a six one 95 and maybe a blade 98 before I buy.

No not going pro but don't like losing!!!

Ahh, well, we australian folk know about these things...

The racquet should be fine, any decent stick made after 1990 or so is pretty easy to play with, no matter what some of these clowns will try and tell you...

(remember, this place is full of 3.5 - 4.0s who took up the game in their 30s, be careful of these people!)

TennisCJC
08-10-2011, 05:59 AM
OK to play with 6.1 tour if you like it.

But, I personally think 95-98 square inch may be better. You can get loads of control form 95-98 square inch rackets and they are a little more forgiving when you miss the sweet spot a bit.

Volkl x325
Dunlop 200 Bio
Wilson BLX 6.1 95 (or K-Factor 6.1 95)
Head Prestige or Head Prestige Pro

These are all good rackets to try.

You may want to hold off on your purchase as rumor is Wilson will be releasing new "Fed" type rackets in larger head size in their next release. Search the boards and there is a thread on it. Maybe 93-98 headsize with thin beam like tour.

ATP100
08-10-2011, 11:22 AM
I think you should try all the racquet's and all the strings. It will give you something to do. Or, you could just stay with that racquet you already hit good with.

tennis88
08-11-2011, 12:07 AM
thanks all, really appreicate the help.

after using wilson control racquets for a long time would a babolate be good to try or would it feel really alien?

I think a 95 head size or bigger would help my game most due to an improved consistancy on the ball.

however when comparing the head size of a 95 next to a 90 it only seems a very small difference!!

gino
08-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Remember using a 90 requires a lot of racket head acceleration and pretty darn good feet.

Best of luck!

TennisCJC
08-11-2011, 05:45 AM
I am not a fan of Bab rackets but others like them. I cannot help you there.

But, if you like the blx tour; I suggest you get something with similar specs. The tour has a swingweight (SW) around 335+ and is 8 points HL. If you do not customize your rackets, I think you want to look at rackets with a SW of at least 325 and probably better to get something above 330 SW. Also, try something 4 points HL or more. If you drop the SW too low, the racket will not have the power or stability of the tour. The sweet spot power zone on the 90" tour is actually bigger than some 100" rackets that have a really low SW. TW has a racket finder where you can enter specs and it will select all the rackets that meet that criteria.

Another racket to try is BB Melbourne.

You can add SW to a racket if you are willing to customize it with a bit of lead tape. Some like to tinker with customization and some don't.

The BLX 6.1 95 and the BLX Blade 98 are 2 stock rackets with SW in the mid 330 range that do not require tinkering.

safinator
08-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Sincerely, I don't see any trouble with the stick's size. The only issue I see here is the weight, if you can weild it - take it. I would also say that you should like the way it feels, but you already said you liked it. Although, you should try it for a long period of practice time, say not 20 mins, but like an hour and a half. I found myself many times before with the trouble - I try a stick, really like it and think the weight is nothing, but after 45 mins it suddenly starts to weigh like hell. Hope you get my point. And yet again, no worries about the size, anyways - the ball is smaller than 85-90 sq. in.!!!

TheBoom
08-11-2011, 01:16 PM
An alternative to the tour 90 would be the blx blade tour

UCSF2012
08-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Just get the BLX90. You may have lots of learning to do in order to use it, but that's a good thing. If you find that the racket's heavy, the proper solution is strength and condition, not finding a lighter racket. If you can't hit the ball cleanly, the solution's to develop better hand-eye coordination and better mechanics, not to find a 100 sq in racket that allows you to hit with sloppy technique.

tennis88
08-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks again for all your help!
Next time I head to the tennis store think I will pick up a blade 98 to see as much contrast as possible instead of say a six one 95.

One thing I noticed with the tour was that all though I got lots of topspin the ball didn't seem to bounce as high as with my old 95, the ball bounce more forward and less up. Does anyone know why this might be?

The main thing with the six one tour was I found it very hard to put down and stop playing!!!

Thanks again

tennis88
08-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Just get the BLX90. You may have lots of learning to do in order to use it, but that's a good thing. If you find that the racket's heavy, the proper solution is strength and condition, not finding a lighter racket. If you can't hit the ball cleanly, the solution's to develop better hand-eye coordination and better mechanics, not to find a 100 sq in racket that allows you to hit with sloppy technique.

I like your attiitude, strongest reason to keep using the racquet yet!

Netspirit
08-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Ensure the racket does not slow your swing down. The weight will still give you enough power, but you will be sacrificing topspin which is an essential part of the modern game.

Also, measure your serve with a radar. Speedtrac X is decent and only costs ~130$ in the US (and even less if you can find it on the bay). Some people find that a heavy frame subtracts a couple of MPHs from their serves, which would be a questionable sacrifice.

There is nothing wrong with using a heavy frame if you are good enough to prevent it from taxing your game. My point is: most rec players are NOT good enough.

gplracer
08-15-2011, 08:20 PM
I find the blx90 gives me lots of topspin. My son comments that the ball is real heavy and leaps off the court way more than my blx blade 98. I will say though that you have to hit the ball correctly and you are punished more for poor swings at the ball. This punishment comes as a flat ball with little or no pace.