PDA

View Full Version : Boris Becker Delta Core Legend

TheGreatestAudia
08-08-2011, 06:20 AM
Anyone currently hitting with this racquet? I hit with it a couple weeks ago and loved the spin potential it had. I'm waiting on the demo to arrive again for my second go-around.

I would love to hear your thoughts...

sphinx780
08-08-2011, 07:50 AM
Do a quick search for 'legend' And check out the Boris Becker 11 club too, Basil J has just moved over to this stick and the Re: Boris Becker Legend (or something like that) thread has a lot of comparison's, reviews and thoughts. For some play styles, it's a great stick. For others it can seem a bit clunky.

TheGreatestAudia
08-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Do a quick search for 'legend' And check out the Boris Becker 11 club too, Basil J has just moved over to this stick and the Re: Boris Becker Legend (or something like that) thread has a lot of comparison's, reviews and thoughts. For some play styles, it's a great stick. For others it can seem a bit clunky.

Thanks for the info!

sphinx780
08-08-2011, 08:25 AM
No problem.

OldButGame
08-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Audia;

Please post what You thought of it afterwards,...a lot of us would like to hear too,...

....about the 'clunky thing',....That was how I felt about the BB11 in the beginning,....Now its my No 1 stick,....not clunky at all,...I think i just had to grow into it or something.... :)

TennisMaverick
08-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Is this thread not totally redundant, or am I developing onset Ol'timers and think that I remember threads and info about the Legend which never existed in the TW world?

TennisMaverick
08-08-2011, 05:52 PM
....about the 'clunky thing',....

It is a little clunky, that is why they fixed it with a slight adjustment with the Melbourne. However, that clunkyness, is easily remedied with a little lead tape.

OldButGame
08-08-2011, 06:00 PM
(Psssst TM,..it is redundant,...but see,...at my age,....everything is new for the first time!!!!)... :lol:

levy1
08-08-2011, 06:03 PM
I really liked the London. Have not hit with the legend.

TennisMaverick
08-09-2011, 03:51 PM
After demoing around 20 sticks I picked this one and tied with the Vantage bastcore,. Bastcore felt more maneuverable to me and I bought a set but both had a sling shot effect when you hit in the middle that I have never felt before in any racket. I have another demo on the way as I want to move down in weight.

String homogeneously and drop the cross string tension2-3 lbs.

levy1
08-09-2011, 04:50 PM
String homogeneously and drop the cross string tension2-3 lbs.
What do you mean? Please expound.

TennisMaverick
08-09-2011, 04:58 PM
What do you mean? Please expound.

Use the same string for mains and crosses, and string the crosses 2-3 lbs less than the mains.

januslow
08-09-2011, 05:06 PM
After demoing around 20 sticks I picked this one and tied with the Vantage bastcore,. Bastcore felt more maneuverable to me and I bought a set but both had a sling shot effect when you hit in the middle that I have never felt before in any racket. I have another demo on the way as I want to move down in weight.

Hi, Levy, I saw similar quote of yours commenting on BB London when compared to BC20. Are your views similar for BB Legend since we are talking about Legend here?

levy1
08-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Use the same string for mains and crosses, and string the crosses 2-3 lbs less than the mains.

I usually string the mains with Klip legend 18ga natural gut and Head 17ga Rip Control. So I should use full gut and crosses 2lbs less?

levy1
08-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Hi, Levy, I saw similar quote of yours commenting on BB London when compared to BC20. Are your views similar for BB Legend since we are talking about Legend here?

Thanks for catching me. I thought we were talking about the London so I will remove my post. I read it to fast.
Thanks again, I have not hit with the legend.

TennisMaverick
08-09-2011, 05:16 PM
I usually string the mains with Klip legend 18ga natural gut and Head 17ga Rip Control. So I should use full gut and crosses 2lbs less?

Homogenous is better than hybrid. Players find that the ball pocketing from the recessed grommets is reduced while hybriding.

levy1
08-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Homogenous is better than hybrid. Players find that the ball pocketing from the recessed grommets is reduced while hybriding.

OK, thanks for your help. I love ball pocketing. I will string my new racket this way. Lets say I like 56lbs in the racket. So just go to 54 in the crosses or do you have to play around with the tension a little?

TennisMaverick
08-09-2011, 05:24 PM
OK, thanks for your help. I love ball pocketing. I will string my new racket this way. Lets say I like 56lbs in the racket. So just go to 54 in the crosses or do you have to play around with the tension a little?

You have to play around because every machine and every craftsman is different. But 2 lbs is a good start, since few stringers can properly overcome cross string stringing friction well, so it actually comes in loser.

januslow
08-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks for catching me. I thought we were talking about the London so I will remove my post. I read it to fast.
Thanks again, I have not hit with the legend.

No worries, I'm currently using BC20 too and really enjoy it. I have been reading lot of good things on Boris Becker rackets, so will like to know how Legend and London compare with BC20. Looking forward to read your review on London in the near future! :)

levy1
08-09-2011, 09:15 PM
No worries, I'm currently using BC20 too and really enjoy it. I have been reading lot of good things on Boris Becker rackets, so will like to know how Legend and London compare with BC20. Looking forward to read your review on London in the near future! :)
I wrote a long review on the London verses the BC 20 in both forums. I am moving to a lighter racket so I am going to demo the London again along with the Head Instinct, Donnay X duo silver and silver light, and the Pro Kennex 105. I have just finished demoing the BB Delta Core Sporster, Dunlop Aerogel 4D 300, Donnay XP Dual Core (not yet at TW), Pro Kennex Destiny Advance 290, and Volkl Power Bridge 8 315. If you do a search you would see all of these are around the same specs. I am playing better with the lighter rackets. The Pro Kennex Destiny 290, a brand I have never tried before is the best one for me so far and Is generating the best serves I have hit in sometime. Missing is the ball pocketing and slingshot from the BC 20 and London. I have been told if I string 2 lbs lighter crosses using the same string instead of a hybird setup like I normally use I can duplicate the pocketing in any racket. Awaiting the last 4 demos and them I will know. BTW I am using the demo sticks in matches.

TennisMaverick
08-09-2011, 09:19 PM
I wrote a long review on the London verses the BC 20 in both forums. I am moving to a lighter racket so I am going to demo the London again along with the Head Instinct, Donnay X duo silver and silver light, and the Pro Kennex 105. I have just finished demoing the BB Delta Core Sporster, Dunlop Aerogel 4D 300, Donnay XP Dual Core (not yet at TW), Pro Kennex Destiny Advance 290, and Volkl Power Bridge 8 315. If you do a search you would see all of these are around the same specs. I am playing better with the lighter rackets. The Pro Kennex Destiny 290, a brand I have never tried before is the best one for me so far and Is generating the best serves I have hit in sometime. Missing is the ball pocketing and slingshot from the BC 20 and London. I have been told if I string 2 lbs lighter crosses using the same string instead of a hybird setup like I normally use I can duplicate the pocketing in any racket. Awaiting the last 4 demos and them I will know. BTW I am using the demo sticks in matches.

Why would you demo the PB 8 315 when there is the X8 300, or the beefier X8 315???

levy1
08-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Why would you demo the PB 8 315 when there is the X8 300, or the beefier X8 315???

Well probably because I just cant get them all right. Why didn't to tell me when I ordered the demos? BTW what is a X 8?

TheGreatestAudia
08-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Audia;

Please post what You thought of it afterwards,...a lot of us would like to hear too,...

....about the 'clunky thing',....That was how I felt about the BB11 in the beginning,....Now its my No 1 stick,....not clunky at all,...I think i just had to grow into it or something.... :)

I am hitting with it tonight. I'll let you know how it goes. I can tell you that swinging it around inside the house feels great. So, that's a plus...:)

TheGreatestAudia
08-11-2011, 12:13 PM
I went out and hit with it last night for a couple hours, but I feel as though I need to give you some background on me as a player before I continue.

I am a 3.5-4.0 (non-USTA ranking; I only play Ultimate Tennis because the fees for USTA are little rich for my blo...wallet.) I'm a lefty on groundstrokes and righty on serves. My 2hbh is my strongest stroke. It is flat for the most part, but I do tend to put a little top on it when rallying. My forehand is not quite as dependable as my backhand, but it can give opponents fits when struck well because of the amount of top I put on it. The first sticks I bought and played with for the last 5 years were K90's. Even though they were anvils with unforgiving heads, I loved them. Yes, it took me a while to find the sweetspot consistently, but I eventually did (enough to compete with other 3.5's). Those sticks were the best ones to use when I started out because it taught me to get my feet set and swing cranked up early enough to hit the ball where I wanted. If I was late, I wouldn't hit it with depth or precision.

Now, I'm trying to advance in rating and I feel as though I have gone as far as I can with the K90's. I just simply lack the power/spin to keep up with guys hitting consistently faster-paced shots. The reaction time is cut down and I can't get ready in time to dampen their assault. I needed a stick that was more mobile, more forgiving, and more power/spin. Enter, the Legend.

I stumbled upon this stick when my brother demoed it, along with the POG from TW. I instantly felt the power it had with each stroke I hit. So much so, I was hitting bb's that were ducking in at the last second. My brother was having a hard time with putting an offensive shot back over the net. After the third backhand I was able to place on the line, I was hooked.

First things first, this is not a light stick. It is not far from the weight of the K90's. However, it makes up for that in the sense that it has a bigger headsize and it does not "swing" like a heavy stick. It cuts through the air, but it provides the advantages of heavier, stable stick.

The precision is noticeably decreased in comparison to the K90. This might be a deal breaker for some, but what you lose in location, you definitely pick up in spin. With the right strings, you will have all the spin you would need in a player's racquet. The demo I had was strung with Wilson NXT's. I didn't particularly like them all that much. It felt good when I hit with them, but I wanted more bite. The first time I demoed the racquet, I can't recall what it was strung with, but they were definitely spin-friendly. In fact, one of the better shots with this racquet is the backhand slice. You can stop it on a dime and use it as both and offensive and defensive shot. I'm serious when I say that this shot is fun to hit.

With serves, I found a lot more kick to work with and I was able to up the mph on the serves while keeping the ball controlled. It did take a few minutes before I found the right arm "slot" for hitting fluid shots. With different balances and what not, sticks are going to react different to the types of swings you put on them.

All and all, I really enjoyed hitting with this stick. I will definitely be taking advantage of the sale TW has going for it ($89!) and buy them as soon as I can sell my K90's. I recommend this stick to someone who has refined enough strokes and can set up properly when playing. It's not quite as light as I wanted, but with the swing weight and larger head, it's forgiving enough to make me forget that I am swinging something heavy.

OldButGame
08-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Nice Review!!,..Thx!!!! :)

TennisMaverick
08-11-2011, 03:10 PM
For those find the Legend a little clunky, but want to take advantage of its price and make it play like the Melbourne, try this simple mod:

A) 1/2 gram@12:00
B) 1.75 grams+/-@6:00, covering the center 10 mains, with no lead in-between the center two for stringing purposes.

basil J
08-11-2011, 03:18 PM
is the only difference between the melbourne & legend weight distribution?

TennisMaverick
08-11-2011, 05:19 PM
is the only difference between the melbourne & legend weight distribution?

Exactly.....

bad_call
08-12-2011, 05:51 AM
...The precision is noticeably decreased in comparison to the K90. This might be a deal breaker for some, but what you lose in location, you definitely pick up in spin...

if precision is lacking then say bye bye to potential winning shots...

TheGreatestAudia
08-17-2011, 10:41 AM
if precision is lacking then say bye bye to potential winning shots...

I didn't say that the Legend was lacking in precision; I just said it was decreased in comparison to the K90. The K90 is a scalpel. That racquet is one of the most precise racquets on the market.

All that being said, I could say the same thing about the K90's lack of spin/power:

You could put the ball on a dime anywhere in the court, but if the spin/pace "is lacking, then say bye-bye to potential winning shots."

TennisMaverick
08-17-2011, 11:00 AM
I didn't say that the Legend was lacking in precision; I just said it was decreased in comparison to the K90. The K90 is a scalpel. That racquet is one of the most precise racquets on the market.

All that being said, I could say the same thing about the K90's lack of spin/power:

You could put the ball on a dime anywhere in the court, but if the spin/pace "is lacking, then say bye-bye to potential winning shots."

By definition, a 90in2 is going to be more precise than a 98in2.

JGads
08-17-2011, 11:08 AM
I went out and hit with it last night for a couple hours, but I feel as though I need to give you some background on me as a player before I continue.

I am a 3.5-4.0 (non-USTA ranking; I only play Ultimate Tennis because the fees for USTA are little rich for my blo...wallet.) I'm a lefty on groundstrokes and righty on serves. My 2hbh is my strongest stroke. It is flat for the most part, but I do tend to put a little top on it when rallying.... .

How on earth does this happen? Really curious...

TennisMaverick
08-17-2011, 11:16 AM

Not at all unusual for ambi players, and much better than forcing the player to choose one hand over the other, as many teaching pros force ambi players to do.

canadad
08-17-2011, 11:33 AM

I played juniors with someone that did this very thing. He was lefty and had a righty serve. He changed hands on overheads as well. I asked him why he just didn't serve left handed and his response was an annoyed, "You try serving left handed."

basil J
08-17-2011, 11:39 AM
There is a guy in my league that serves right handed on the dece side and lefty on the ad side. Only warms up right handed, so if you never played him before, he catches you off guard quite a bit. Nice talent to have.

TheGreatestAudia
08-17-2011, 11:45 AM

Not at all unusual for ambi players, and much better than forcing the player to choose one hand over the other, as many teaching pros force ambi players to do.

@JGads, TennisMaverick is right. When I was starting to really play tennis, I just could not get the feel for my righty forehand. It felt awkward and a lot more uncoordinated than I was accustomed to.

One day, I was just hitting with a partner of mine and started taking baseball style swings with the racquet to see how hard I could hit it. (I played baseball all my life so this came naturally.) I'm a righty when it comes to hitting in baseball. This meant that I needed to place my left hand on the bottom of the stick and the right hand on top when swinging. (Which is a lefty backhand when on the court.) As soon as I hit the first ball, I felt a lot more comfortable. I started to practice and get serious with it. I soon realized that this was the way that I needed to hit my backhands. Unfortunately, the forehand was not quite as advanced at the beginning, but it still felt better than my righty forehand in it's "infant" state. I eventually learned how to swing it and off I went.

JGads
08-17-2011, 11:46 AM
I played juniors with someone that did this very thing. He was lefty and had a righty serve. He changed hands on overheads as well. I asked him why he just didn't serve left handed and his response was an annoyed, "You try serving left handed."

That's funny. I'm always thrown off a little by lefties -- especially on serves and a little bit on groundies -- so it surprised me a little that he was a groundie lefty and a righty server; figured you'd serve lefty if you could, but what do I know...

I wonder if there's anyone out there who's able to serve (effectively) with both? That would be the ultimate mind----.

TheGreatestAudia
08-17-2011, 11:47 AM

This makes me laugh because I get this question all the time. Righty is the way for me because swinging the stick overhead is like throwing (again, lifetime baseball player) and it came naturally.

TennisMaverick
08-17-2011, 11:59 AM
What usually happens is the hand with the best small motor coordination becomes the stroke hand, and the power hand becomes the serving hand. Many times the player throws with one hand, but writes with the other, so the hand that writes, become the hand that hit all strokes, and the hand that throws, serves.

JGads
08-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Really interesting stuff.

OldButGame
08-17-2011, 01:34 PM
There is a guy in my league that serves right handed on the dece side and lefty on the ad side. Only warms up right handed, so if you never played him before, he catches you off guard quite a bit. Nice talent to have.
Wow!!...Now THAT IS bizarre!!!!.......(that would get in my head and i'd lose just cuz it would throw me so much!!!! :lol: )

OldButGame
08-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Friend of mine, just had shoulder surgery on the serving shoulder this spring,....wanted to play really bad,....came back early,...serving with his opposite arm,..forced himself to learn it,..and managed it within several weeks,...good, solid serves,...but this guys a young, excellent athelete,...:neutral:

TennisMaverick
08-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Wow!!...Now THAT IS bizarre!!!!.......(that would get in my head and i'd lose just cuz it would throw me so much!!!! :lol: )

No, it's not. It is quite typical, especially if the player was taught by a coach, and not a teaching pro.

asifallasleep
08-22-2011, 03:25 PM

I am a 3.5-4.0 (non-USTA ranking; I only play Ultimate Tennis because the fees for USTA are little rich for my blo...wallet.) I'm a lefty on groundstrokes and righty on serves. My 2hbh is my strongest stroke. It is flat for the most part, but I do tend to put a little top on it when rallying. My forehand is not quite as dependable as my backhand, but it can give opponents fits when struck well because of the amount of top I put on it. The first sticks I bought and played with for the last 5 years were K90's. Even though they were anvils with unforgiving heads, I loved them. Yes, it took me a while to find the sweetspot consistently, but I eventually did (enough to compete with other 3.5's). Those sticks were the best ones to use when I started out because it taught me to get my feet set and swing cranked up early enough to hit the ball where I wanted. If I was late, I wouldn't hit it with depth or precision.

Now, I'm trying to advance in rating and I feel as though I have gone as far as I can with the K90's. I just simply lack the power/spin to keep up with guys hitting consistently faster-paced shots. The reaction time is cut down and I can't get ready in time to dampen their assault. I needed a stick that was more mobile, more forgiving, and more power/spin. Enter, the Legend.

I stumbled upon this stick when my brother demoed it, along with the POG from TW. I instantly felt the power it had with each stroke I hit. So much so, I was hitting bb's that were ducking in at the last second. My brother was having a hard time with putting an offensive shot back over the net. After the third backhand I was able to place on the line, I was hooked.

First things first, this is not a light stick. It is not far from the weight of the K90's. However, it makes up for that in the sense that it has a bigger headsize and it does not "swing" like a heavy stick. It cuts through the air, but it provides the advantages of heavier, stable stick.

The precision is noticeably decreased in comparison to the K90. This might be a deal breaker for some, but what you lose in location, you definitely pick up in spin. With the right strings, you will have all the spin you would need in a player's racquet. The demo I had was strung with Wilson NXT's. I didn't particularly like them all that much. It felt good when I hit with them, but I wanted more bite. The first time I demoed the racquet, I can't recall what it was strung with, but they were definitely spin-friendly. In fact, one of the better shots with this racquet is the backhand slice. You can stop it on a dime and use it as both and offensive and defensive shot. I'm serious when I say that this shot is fun to hit.

With serves, I found a lot more kick to work with and I was able to up the mph on the serves while keeping the ball controlled. It did take a few minutes before I found the right arm "slot" for hitting fluid shots. With different balances and what not, sticks are going to react different to the types of swings you put on them.

All and all, I really enjoyed hitting with this stick. I will definitely be taking advantage of the sale TW has going for it ($89!) and buy them as soon as I can sell my K90's. I recommend this stick to someone who has refined enough strokes and can set up properly when playing. It's not quite as light as I wanted, but with the swing weight and larger head, it's forgiving enough to make me forget that I am swinging something heavy.

I sent you an email. I just bought two Legends and might be willing to trade for your K90's. Let me know. chamberlainfilms@gmail.com

TennisMaverick
08-22-2011, 05:09 PM
vvvvvvvvvvvverrorvvvvvvvvvv

asifallasleep
08-26-2011, 08:37 PM
vvvvvvvvvvvverrorvvvvvvvvvv

lol. so after a week with the legend i now love it. hilarious. it clicked tonight. i'm putting my k90's and ps88's in storage.

TennisMaverick
08-27-2011, 01:41 PM
lol. so after a week with the legend i now love it. hilarious. it clicked tonight. i'm putting my k90's and ps88's in storage.

You can definitely get your Legend to play similarly to your Wilson's and still take advantage of the 98in2.

TheGreatestAudia
08-27-2011, 05:01 PM

And to think, you were thisclose to selling it!

brooker
03-28-2012, 12:36 AM
For those find the Legend a little clunky, but want to take advantage of its price and make it play like the Melbourne, try this simple mod:

A) 1/2 gram@12:00
B) 1.75 grams+/-@6:00, covering the center 10 mains, with no lead in-between the center two for stringing purposes.

what is the logic or science behind this: 0.5g at head and 1.75g at the throat? I'm curious.....

Meaghan
03-28-2012, 03:46 AM
what is the logic or science behind this: 0.5g at head and 1.75g at the throat? I'm curious.....

To readjust the balance. The melbourne and legend are the same racket but with the weight distributed differently. They made the melbourne as an easier to use legend I'm sure to make sales. T mav its just giving some advice on how to make the legend play similarly to the melbourne. I have two of each, I don't like weight around the throat so I add top of handle and top of hoop to match balance and sw.

jman32
03-28-2012, 02:17 PM

i have been using the legend for 2 years and really like it. i own 3 of them. i have played around with lead and found, for me, that 12.5/12.6oz, 340sw is a good combo with full bed of poly. i had one up to 12.9oz which felt great for hitting and serving, but tiring when playing 2 sets.

one thing that is unusual about this frame is its ability to generate spin with an 18x20 bed.

the only issue i have with the stick is that i will lose some control when hitting out.

if you are not 100% sold on the legend, you may want to look at the prestige pro. the head is actually 95 square inches and the string density is similar to the legend. the pro has more control than the legend and is easier than the K90 (i also hit it, great when struck, but found the top of the hoop a little dead).