PDA

View Full Version : PDGT and APDGT - is there really a difference?

BC1
08-08-2011, 11:01 AM
I have played with both of these racquets off and on over the past year and a half. The specs of the two are almost identical, yet at times they seemed like completely different racquets. How is this possible? I've never tried them side by side with the same string set-up, so I'm coming to the conculsion that it must be the strings that are making them feel and play differently. But maybe not - IDK.

Is there REALLY a big difference in the two frames (besides the obvious throat design)? Maybe weight distribution? Or do most people feel there is very little noticeable difference? Thanks.

pyrokid
08-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Apd is much much whippier and I think has a wider head, which has a large effect on string bed feel because of the differen lengths of the crosses.

BC1
08-08-2011, 12:00 PM
Apd is much much whippier and I think has a wider head, which has a large effect on string bed feel because of the differen lengths of the crosses.

Maybe so, but as far as the head goes - I've read that the "hoop", and string pattern is identical in both racquets. And if it is whippier, how is that possible if the weight and balance is the same? I can't imagine the "aero" throat makes that big of a difference - but maybe it does.

I've heard many comment about it "feeling" whippier, and that the spin is better on the APD over the PD. It very well may be true, but I wonder if it's a REAL thing, or just a psychological thing the we perceive because of all the "spin" marketing that goes with the aero?

JasonPlaysTennis
08-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Maybe so, but as far as the head goes - I've read that the "hoop", and string pattern is identical in both racquets. And if it is whippier, how is that possible if the weight and balance is the same? I can't imagine the "aero" throat makes that big of a difference - but maybe it does.

I've heard many comment about it "feeling" whippier, and that the spin is better on the APD over the PD. It very well may be true, but I wonder if it's a REAL thing, or just a psychological thing the we perceive because of all the "spin" marketing that goes with the aero?

Having played with both these racquets for a year each as my racquet of choice, I can say there is a CONSIDERABLE difference. The Pure Drive is much more powerful than the Aero Pro and the Aero Pro definitely is easier to generate spin out of. The Aero modular throat makes a huge difference in the overall feel of the racquet. I started off with the APD for about 7 months, switched to PD for a year and then switched back to APD at a diff weight and balance than when I played before for about the last 5 months or so.

seb23
08-08-2011, 12:07 PM
It definitely does go through the air quicker than the pd when hitting with an extreme grip. If you're sceptical about how much that can make a difference try swinging a racket with and without strings and feel the difference in resistance and hear the difference in sound.

BC1
08-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Having played with both these racquets for a year each as my racquet of choice, I can say there is a CONSIDERABLE difference. The Pure Drive is much more powerful than the Aero Pro and the Aero Pro definitely is easier to generate spin out of. The Aero modular throat makes a huge difference in the overall feel of the racquet. I started off with the APD for about 7 months, switched to PD for a year and then switched back to APD at a diff weight and balance than when I played before for about the last 5 months or so.

I feel the same way most of the time. Pure Drive more powerful. However, I also feel with the APDGT it is a requirement to use heavy topspin to control the shots whereas the PD is more forgiving for flat shots.

I still wonder why and how they are so different if the specs of the racquet are identical? I guess the throat design is not just a marketing gimick.

seb23
08-08-2011, 12:20 PM
I feel the same way most of the time. Pure Drive more powerful. However, I also feel with the APDGT it is a requirement to use heavy topspin to control the shots whereas the PD is more forgiving for flat shots.

I still wonder why and how they are so different if the specs of the racquet are identical? I guess the throat design is not just a marketing gimick.

Because they are a completely different design, would you expect a head and a babolat racket to play the same if they had the same spec?

BC1
08-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Because they are a completely different design, would you expect a head and a babolat racket to play the same if they had the same spec?

I get that - but I guess I didn't think they were completely different designs -It seems like they are identical in almost EVERY way except for the throat.

I would also assume that if there is a difference it must be due to where the weight is distributed. Even though they have the same balance and SW. Maybe one has more weight in the throat area? Or one is more polazrized then the other? Is that a possibility?

BC1
08-08-2011, 12:37 PM
The reason behind this question is I'm trying to figure out which one of these frames to stick with, and it's driving me crazy. I don't think it's helping my game to go back and forth. I feel I have more consistency with the Pure Drive (maybe due to the strings), yet there is something about the APDGT that keeps bringing me back to it. I seem to pull off some great shots with that one that I don't get with any other racquet. I guess I need to string them both up exactly the same (with my favorite poly at the moment - Lux Savage) and see how it goes.

I'd still love to hear any additional comments on these two - similarities and difference. Thanks everyone.

TheOneHander
08-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Personally, I think the APDGT is more polarized. The different weight distribution adds to its whippy feel. I also think that the ever so slight difference in the head shape design contributes to the feel. Otherwise, the head shape and stirng pattern are the same. As for the aero throat, I doubt it changes spin production and sheer bat speed, although the different shape may change the feel somewhat between the two frames.

In my experience, the frames play very similarly. I prefer the PDGT because it's less clunky, but the APDGT is a joy to play with. I feel I hit equally heavy shots with both frames, but the serves for me were better with the PDGT. Volleys, for some reason, feel better on the APDGT though.

For you, I'd definitely try them with the same string, same tension, same machine, same time, etc. Maybe you don't have to be that precise, but it'll really help you make an informed decision.

Good luck!

TennisandMusic
08-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Huge difference IMO, and I have played with both extensively. I use the APD as my racquet.

PD - Stiffer, much more powerful, better for serving, hits a flatter trajectory by "default".
APD - Less power but still quite powerful, much more comfortable over the long term (IMO), hits a loopier trajectory by "default".

You might not believe the trajectory stuff but I guarantee you it is true. Whenever I play with a PD with the same setup I get less clearance over the net with the same strokes. Not sure why the racquets behave in such a way. I've heard the same thing from other people who have used both as well.

Power Player
08-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Interesting posts. The APDC was an incredible stick for me in terms of consistency. The Pure Drive Roddick was unreal, but sooo stiff.

mrtrinh
08-08-2011, 02:24 PM
ive played and owned and like many have said the apdgt is definitely more whippier than the pdgt. for people who like to hit through the ball more (myself for example) than brush the ball more, the pure drive is more suitable for them. I've always felt like the apdgt lacked mass in the head which made it feel unstable.

So i guess its more of ones playing style and preference

retlod
08-08-2011, 02:39 PM
PD - Stiffer, much more powerful, better for serving, hits a flatter trajectory by "default".
APD - Less power but still quite powerful, much more comfortable over the long term (IMO), hits a loopier trajectory by "default".

You might not believe the trajectory stuff but I guarantee you it is true. Whenever I play with a PD with the same setup I get less clearance over the net with the same strokes. Not sure why the racquets behave in such a way. I've heard the same thing from other people who have used both as well.

Interesting posts. The APDC was an incredible stick for me in terms of consistency. The Pure Drive Roddick was unreal, but sooo stiff.

ive played and owned and like many have said the apdgt is definitely more whippier than the pdgt. for people who like to hit through the ball more (myself for example) than brush the ball more, the pure drive is more suitable for them. I've always felt like the apdgt lacked mass in the head which made it feel unstable.

So i guess its more of ones playing style and preference

The difference in the feel of the frames despite the spec similarities is indeed unusual, but these three posts pretty much sum it up. I agree with every assertion they make.

naturallight
08-08-2011, 04:36 PM
I get that - but I guess I didn't think they were completely different designs -It seems like they are identical in almost EVERY way except for the throat.

I could be wrong here, but I thought the beam width on the hoops were different. That could be a contributing factor.

travlerajm
08-08-2011, 07:14 PM
The APD is stiffer in the y-direction (direction parallel to stringbed), but less stiff in the x-direction (normal to stringbed). So when you hit a top spin shot, the strings stretch more laterally (toward the bottom edge), and stretch less less normally. This converts more of the stringbed's energy into spin and less into power.

The ratio of stiffness in the y vs x directions determines how spin-friendly a frame is. Then beam frames tend to have low stiffness in the x direction, so they tend to be naturally spin friendly. And widebodies tend to be very stiff in the x direction, so they tend to be very powerful and less spin friendly. The APD is a unique frame that is still fairly stiff in the x direction, but because it is even stiffer in the y direction, it is unusually spin-firendly for its stiffness.

Another way to increase y-direction stiffness for more spin is to use a grommetless design (like Prince's NXG racquets or, to a lesser extent, the O3 frames).

martini1
08-08-2011, 07:40 PM
PD - stiffer at the head area, softer at the throat area
APD - vice versa

This is just an observation and from a comment from a coach. This goes with the comments made by people who said the PDXX has more feel on the serve and flatter drives whereas the APDXX is more loopy.

The better you get the more difference you'll see because of the need to generate some pace in the first place. Junk ballers cannot tell the difference.

Tan
08-09-2011, 12:47 AM
PD - more powerful which make it outstanding on serving and basline attacking groundstroke. But for me it's less consistency in other category
APD - Less power but still have power which render it more versatile. It is above average in every aspect though it's not surprisingly good on any category. In other word- no weakness.

BC1
08-09-2011, 06:32 AM
Great comments guys! Thanks for the feedback. It's all starting to make since now, and it's good to have a clearer understanding as to "why" they are different. I think this thread will be very helpful for people who are torn (or confused) between the two. I'm hanging on to both of them, stringing them up the same and see what happens. I guess like it's been said, it all depends on your playing style as to which frame will suit you best. Thanks again!