PDA

View Full Version : BB/Volkl Grip Mods to Make All Haters Happy!

TennisMaverick
08-08-2011, 02:49 PM
For all those who would prefer an Volkl ATTIVA shaped grip:

For BB Grips: Melbourne/London/London Tour:

1) Add four layers of white athletic tape to both left and right sides of the pallet.
2) Re-grip.

For Volkl Grips: X10s/X8s/PB 10 Mid:

1) Add one layer of white athletic tape to both top and bottom of the pallet.
2) Add four layers of white athletic tape to both left and right sides of the pallet.
3) Add one layer of white athletic tape wide enough to cover the sides, and 2/3s of the bevels, leaving 1/3 of the bevel nude.
4) Add one layer of white athletic tape wide enough to cover the sides, and 1/3 of the bevels, leaving 1/3 of the bevel nude, and the underlying layer which you just applied in 3), remaining as the center 1/3.
5) Add one last layer of white athletic tape to both left and right sides of the pallet.
6) Re-grip.

Each time you apply a layer, burnish it with a straight edge. I use the unsharpened edge of the retractable blade.

Pneumated1
08-12-2011, 07:38 PM

1) Add four layers of white athletic tape to both left and right sides of the pallet.
2) Re-grip.

2) Add four layers of white athletic tape to both left and right sides of the pallet.
3) Add one layer of white athletic tape wide enough to cover the sides, and 2/3s of the bevels, leaving 1/3 of the bevel nude.
4) Add one layer of white athletic tape wide enough to cover the sides, and 1/3 of the bevels, leaving 1/3 of the bevel nude, and the underlying layer which you just applied in 3), remaining as the center 1/3.
5) Add one last layer of white athletic tape to both left and right sides of the pallet.
6) Re-grip.

Each time you apply a layer, burnish it with a straight edge. I use the unsharpened edge of the retractable blade.

As one who much prefers the Dunlop grip shape (old 300G and new Bio. 300), I've created something similar on my BB London pallet. I have six layers of athletic tape on the sides and three layers on the top/bottom. Just four layers on the sides left the top/bottom too "flat" for my tastes. My layers on the top/bottom serve to get these areas a touch more height, and more importantly, increase the bevel widths a little. I burnished these layers hard, especially the edges. I stretched a TW leather very tight over my pallet, and my normal grip size works fine. There's even room for an overgrip, but I played the bare leather today and liked it. If you don't have as much room to work with, I suspect that four side layers and two top/bottom layers would work, moderately burnished. I've found that these mods have a huge influence on racquet face angles/positions.

And I thought I might add that I only reworked the grip to about four inches above the top of the butt cap, just a little above the top of my grip on any given shot.

TennisMaverick
08-14-2011, 12:03 PM
As one who much prefers the Dunlop grip shape (old 300G and new Bio. 300), I've created something similar on my BB London pallet. I have six layers of athletic tape on the sides and three layers on the top/bottom. Just four layers on the sides left the top/bottom too "flat" for my tastes. My layers on the top/bottom serve to get these areas a touch more height, and more importantly, increase the bevel widths a little. I burnished these layers hard, especially the edges. I stretched a TW leather very tight over my pallet, and my normal grip size works fine. There's even room for an overgrip, but I played the bare leather today and liked it. If you don't have as much room to work with, I suspect that four side layers and two top/bottom layers would work, moderately burnished. I've found that these mods have a huge influence on racquet face angles/positions.

And I thought I might add that I only reworked the grip to about four inches above the top of the butt cap, just a little above the top of my grip on any given shot.

Glad it worked-out for you!

With all of the Set-up Monkeys out here, it's amazing that modifying grips is not done as much as modifying frames, if not more so.

OldButGame
08-14-2011, 04:28 PM
hey TM,...could I probably use that same general technique to upsize a couple of my BB11s (and maintain my bevels) without altering balance too much???:-?

TennisMaverick
08-14-2011, 04:48 PM
hey TM,...could I probably use that same general technique to upsize a couple of my BB11s (and maintain my bevels) without altering balance too much???:-?

Athletic tape is really light. I don't even view it as an issue.

OldButGame
08-14-2011, 05:22 PM
..Cool,...I got a project!!!!http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

TennisMaverick
09-09-2011, 05:43 PM
The reviewers frequently dislike the Volkl grip shape, as with the two X10 reviews.

Bottom Line: If you are going to speak about modifying frames in a review, then you should do so with grip shapes as well, and promote how to modify them, just as lead tape is promoted to customize frames.

bad_call
09-09-2011, 05:45 PM
The reviewers frequently dislike the Volkl grip shape, as with the two X10 reviews.

Bottom Line: If you are going to speak about modifying frames in a review, then you should do so with grip shapes as well, and promote how to modify them, just as lead tape is promoted to customize frames.

Spencer - think TM is sending this to you. :)

acwk
09-11-2011, 11:23 PM

2) Re-grip.

6) Re-grip.

TM,

Could you let me know to what extent the modifications above increase grip size. For example, if I use a 4 5/8th grip would I need to buy a 4 1/2 to modify so that I end up with a 5/8ths or are the additional layers to thin that it has little effect (which would surprise me actually).

I have a second question relating to Volkl grips. I had a discussion with you a few months back about my two PB10 Mids which each had a different feel. I've since discovered that the grip on one is just ever so slightly larger (the less preferred, "deader" feeling one) and it has some subtle effect on how I grip the frame and the feel. I find myself gripping too hard and this tenses up my arm affects how freely I can swing.

I am somewhat reluctant to dismantle the pallet (I don't have access to a pneumatic staple gun in case I mess up the staples - reading from your discussion on another Volkl related posting) but I wonder if it's possible that the pallet on that frame with the slightly larger grip is not installed properly and is therefore not sitting correctly. Any ideas you may have on this would be appreciated before I attempt anything.

By the way, I seem to be one of the few people who is comfortable with the Volkl grip shape - perhaps because my first racket when I was 14 was a Head Master aluminium. I wasn't looking for a change but am interested in experimenting to see if a slightly squarer share may improve my consistency.

TennisMaverick
09-12-2011, 12:16 AM
TM,

Could you let me know to what extent the modifications above increase grip size. For example, if I use a 4 5/8th grip would I need to buy a 4 1/2 to modify so that I end up with a 5/8ths or are the additional layers to thin that it has little effect (which would surprise me actually).

I have a second question relating to Volkl grips. I had a discussion with you a few months back about my two PB10 Mids which each had a different feel. I've since discovered that the grip on one is just ever so slightly larger (the less preferred, "deader" feeling one) and it has some subtle effect on how I grip the frame and the feel. I find myself gripping too hard and this tenses up my arm affects how freely I can swing.

I am somewhat reluctant to dismantle the pallet (I don't have access to a pneumatic staple gun in case I mess up the staples - reading from your discussion on another Volkl related posting) but I wonder if it's possible that the pallet on that frame with the slightly larger grip is not installed properly and is therefore not sitting correctly. Any ideas you may have on this would be appreciated before I attempt anything.

By the way, I seem to be one of the few people who is comfortable with the Volkl grip shape - perhaps because my first racket when I was 14 was a Head Master aluminium. I wasn't looking for a change but am interested in experimenting to see if a slightly squarer share may improve my consistency.

I modify my 4 5/8- with a 3/8, but I use more tape than prescribed above. If you have 5/8 grips and you do the above mods, and it becomes too big, you can replace two layers of athletic tape for the thickness of one layer of lead tape. Three layers of athletic tape weight almost the same as one layer of lead tape. so do the math, use lead instead of some layers of athletic tape, and toss the grip; use an overgrip. It will feel soft because of the tape underneath. Otherwise, you will need a 4 1/2 to re-shape and bulid to a 5/8.

Pallets: Sometimes, the double-sided adhesive tape is not applied correctly, so the hairpin becomes thicker. Then, the pallet seams do not come together and the top/bottom of the grip becomes wider. That upsets me to no end when it happens(twice since I started using Volkl in the early '90's).

Grip shape affects racquet face angle on-contact, so it is important that the grip shape fit you, or that you, adjust to the grip shape. I prefer the former, so I have been modifying grip since playing competitively at 13 years old with Dunlop Maxplys.

acwk
09-12-2011, 09:19 AM
I modify my 4 5/8- with a 3/8, but I use more tape than prescribed above. If you have 5/8 grips and you do the above mods, and it becomes too big, you can replace two layers of athletic tape for the thickness of one layer of lead tape. Three layers of athletic tape weight almost the same as one layer of lead tape. so do the math, use lead instead of some layers of athletic tape, and toss the grip; use an overgrip. It will feel soft because of the tape underneath. Otherwise, you will need a 4 1/2 to re-shape and bulid to a 5/8.

Pallets: Sometimes, the double-sided adhesive tape is not applied correctly, so the hairpin becomes thicker. Then, the pallet seams do not come together and the top/bottom of the grip becomes wider. That upsets me to no end when it happens(twice since I started using Volkl in the early '90's).

Grip shape affects racquet face angle on-contact, so it is important that the grip shape fit you, or that you, adjust to the grip shape. I prefer the former, so I have been modifying grip since playing competitively at 13 years old with Dunlop Maxplys.

Thanks for the quick reply TM. Looks like I won't be experimenting on grip shape after all since I have a 5/8ths and it's the correct size for me and I prefer leather grips.

As a matter of interest, are there any rules of thumb which would give a general idea as to what grip shapes suit specific playing styles or is it just a matter trial and error to get the grip shape to suit the particular dimensions of your hand?

As for that pallet, I will have a go at taking it off to see if it is indeed incorrectly seated.

TennisMaverick
09-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the quick reply TM. Looks like I won't be experimenting on grip shape after all since I have a 5/8ths and it's the correct size for me and I prefer leather grips.

As a matter of interest, are there any rules of thumb which would give a general idea as to what grip shapes suit specific playing styles or is it just a matter trial and error to get the grip shape to suit the particular dimensions of your hand?

As for that pallet, I will have a go at taking it off to see if it is indeed incorrectly seated.

Certain grip shapes do have an affect on grip types, how one grip the racquet. But what determines how you grip the racquet has much more to do with the shape and size of your palm, length of your fingers, and the relationship between both.

The Djoker
09-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Isn't Volkl supposed to be coming out with different shaped pallets soon? The owner of my local shop talks about this every time I go in there. Apparently you will be able to buy different shapes of Volkl pallets to fit your preference...

acwk
09-12-2011, 09:58 AM
TM,

I've only had time to remove the grip and the adhesive backed cellophane paper on the pallet. The pallet looks OK to me but for about an inch and a half at the end furthest away from the butt, the two halves don't meet, i.e., there seems a bit too much "stuff" underneath causing there to be a gap of about 2mm between the two halves. Otherwise the two halves seem to meet correctly along most of its length.

I don't have the spare time at the moment to remove all of the butt cap staples and apply heat to the grip to loose the double sided tape. If the two halves appear to meet correctly along most of its length, is it still worthwhile removing the pallet to examine the double sided tape below?

TennisMaverick
09-12-2011, 10:45 AM
TM,

I've only had time to remove the grip and the adhesive backed cellophane paper on the pallet. The pallet looks OK to me but for about an inch and a half at the end furthest away from the butt, the two halves don't meet, i.e., there seems a bit too much "stuff" underneath causing there to be a gap of about 2mm between the two halves. Otherwise the two halves seem to meet correctly along most of its length.

I don't have the spare time at the moment to remove all of the butt cap staples and apply heat to the grip to loose the double sided tape. If the two halves appear to meet correctly along most of its length, is it still worthwhile removing the pallet to examine the double sided tape below?

That's not bad. Don't mess with it, or, bring it back to the shop that you bought it from. They can fix it in 10 min.

acwk
09-12-2011, 06:00 PM
That's not bad. Don't mess with it, or, bring it back to the shop that you bought it from. They can fix it in 10 min.

OK. I've put it back together again and wrapped the grip as tightly as I can get it. Unfortunately it's still a bit larger than the other one.

As I bought from TW and it's not going to be feasible to send this from Singapore to the US for a relatively simple fix. So I'll have to think about whether or not to try to sort it out myself because I've been avoiding using this frame (the feel isn't as good as the other one and the grip size makes it worse) and if that keep up it'll be a white elephant. If that keeps up, I've nothing to lose from trying to effect a fix.

By the way, am very glad that you're back on the TW discussion boards! Your insights on Volkl/BB frames and on the game generally have been very valuable.

TennisMaverick
09-12-2011, 06:18 PM
OK. I've put it back together again and wrapped the grip as tightly as I can get it. Unfortunately it's still a bit larger than the other one.

As I bought from TW and it's not going to be feasible to send this from Singapore to the US for a relatively simple fix. So I'll have to think about whether or not to try to sort it out myself because I've been avoiding using this frame (the feel isn't as good as the other one and the grip size makes it worse) and if that keep up it'll be a white elephant. If that keeps up, I've nothing to lose from trying to effect a fix.

By the way, am very glad that you're back on the TW discussion boards! Your insights on Volkl/BB frames and on the game generally have been very valuable.

Thanks for the props; glad I could help you.

I would think that the average pro shop would fix the pallet for you for $10 USD. I know stringers who take pride in changing pallets and getting the seams to meet perfectly, since it obviously, sometimes, does not happen.

TennisMaverick
10-01-2011, 03:31 AM
If you modify your frames, it stands to reason that you modify the whole frame. That means the grip shape as well. Then, we wouldn't hear so much about grip shapes, and whether you like or dislike them.

djd
10-01-2011, 07:16 AM
If you modify your frames, it stands to reason that you modify the whole frame. That means the grip shape as well. Then, we wouldn't hear so much about grip shapes, and whether you like or dislike them.

TM- I have a Volkl Quantum V1 I bought second hand - I went to have the grip reduced but was told that with this particular generation (first?) of the Quantum V1 you could not change the grip size (I believe the grip is solid w/out pallets) - do you know of a workaround? can the material be sanded down w/out affecting the structural integrity of the racquet? thanks.

TennisMaverick
10-01-2011, 03:03 PM
TM- I have a Volkl Quantum V1 I bought second hand - I went to have the grip reduced but was told that with this particular generation (first?) of the Quantum V1 you could not change the grip size (I believe the grip is solid w/out pallets) - do you know of a workaround? can the material be sanded down w/out affecting the structural integrity of the racquet? thanks.

You can reduce the size of that foamed grip by sanding to the haipin--the graphite. Then, you can fit a regular Volkl or S-pallet onto it. If the hairpin's shape is smaller, just add layers of tape on whichever side(s) until it meets the same shape of the inside of the pallet. If the haipin is larger than the inside of the pallet, order a pallet one size smaller than your grip size, install the pallet, and then, us some layers of tape to adjust to your individual hand--which is what I do always.

dParis
11-06-2011, 06:53 AM
I have the feeling this has been addressed already but after a quick search, I couldn't pinpoint the subject.

I'd like to mimic the Wilson grip shape as closely and easily as possible. Is this simply the Hominator mod with the two strips of athletic tape on the left and right (widest) bevels?

I'd appreciate a description or a reference to the thread where it's discussed.

sphinx780
11-06-2011, 06:57 AM
First page of this thread should get you there ;-)

I can't confirm on the volkl mods but the BB mods on page 1 get you the wilson grip shape. Can't remember which bb thread(s) it was discussed in.