PDA

View Full Version : does music affect your tennis.

Tennis Duke
02-24-2004, 10:27 AM
Let me have a first go at it. Before tennis, like all avid tennis dudes, I listen to a lot of metallica, pearl jam, guns n' roses. Other rock bands that get me excited. I find that I play a lot better after I get pumped up listening to some good stuff. If I listen to classical stuff which I also happen to appreciate immensely, I just don't play as well; it's as though my mind is in the sky while I am hitting the ball.

Verbal_Kint
02-24-2004, 11:21 AM
It depends for me. Depending on my mood, I'll choose which MD to play. When I want to get pumped up, I'll listen to Daft Punk, Propellerheads or the Fun Lovin' Criminals (old stuff from them). Sometimes I'll want to get calm before a match, which will result in John Mayer, Coldplay, India.Arie, AIR, etc. When I'm not in a special kind of mood, Beatles, REM, Arthur Umbgrove (great! Dutch artist) or other pop will do.

Marnix

Edit: I just about ALWAYS have a song in my head. Having a bad one influences my playing.

aceindahole2K5
02-24-2004, 12:32 PM
rage against the machine.......100%......thats all that'll do it

David I.
02-24-2004, 01:16 PM
I like to listen to music WHILE I'm playing tennis. Had some trouble with bulky CD players, but my iPod works great. I played a few matches while plugged in but some people are distracted by it so I've mostly stopped during matches. I can't say it makes me play better, but upbeat rock works best. Keep the volume low enough so you can hear the ball. I would suggest plugging in when playing someone who is annoying, cheating, a loud grunter, or yelling. Or you can plug in during changeovers and replay the song in your mind while playing. Plugging in is great for practice sessions or hitting against a wall. You can keep doing the same drills over and over without getting bored.

Phil
02-24-2004, 08:24 PM
Sometimes the voices in my head-which I hear all the time, including on court-hum certain familiar tunes. So, does that count as "music"?

rommil
02-25-2004, 07:43 PM
Fat of the Land by Prodigy works everytime for me

mattlikovich
02-26-2004, 11:22 AM
I lost my MD player!!! No music for me! :(

jayserinos99
02-26-2004, 12:03 PM
I must be getting older or something. I used to listen to Mettalica, Rage Against the Machine, Prodigy, etc. before my matches and that used to get me all hyped up to crush the ball. Now I just tune out everything before I go into a match. Tuning stuff out helps me perform at a much more even temperment.

Just curious, David, has your iPod ever fallen out of your pocket while you played?

David I.
02-27-2004, 07:54 PM
My iPod once fell out when I had balls in the same pocket and I pulled a ball out and the iPod fell out. It dropped on the cement but didn't miss a beat.

@wright
02-27-2004, 08:07 PM
Music gets me pumped up FOR the match, but when I step on the court, everything gets tuned out, outside noise, a song in my head, whatever. In college we used to listen to music during practice sometimes, and that was cool.

Ace
03-04-2004, 08:08 AM
When I'm in a good winning mood, I'm thinking throughout the entire match:

Mamma said knock you OUT....
I'M gonna knock you OUT....

(l.l. coolj)

I don't even like rap/hip-hop that much, but it seems kinda fitting.

Simbah2004
03-06-2004, 08:17 AM
I usually play "Enter Sandman" before hitting the courts. What comes to mind is:

"Say your prayers little one don't forget my son to include everyone..."

Pure raw energy, my style is aggressive and I get pumped up for the match.

After the match, I usually listen to "Sailing" by Christopher Cross, works for me.

safins back
03-06-2004, 08:33 AM
Man, If you want to get pumped up before a tennis match I am telling you the secret! Listen to "TOOL", best band alive! There is no other band even in the same league as TOOL. Listen to them and you will play your ***** off. You heard it hear.

@wright
03-06-2004, 11:10 AM
No way safinsback, the answer is "Can you feel the love tonight" by Elton John. Don't listen to this song before you play until you're ready to crush your opponent.

Tim Tennis
03-08-2004, 11:10 AM
Well, it looks like I am going to have to spend a fortune on CD's so I can see what everyone is talking about. I guess I will have to stop listening to those oldes but goodies stations.

rommil
03-11-2004, 09:21 PM
Yes Tim, try Fat of the Land by Prodigy. LOL.