PDA

View Full Version : Grip size difference....

Stitch626
04-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Would there be a big or very noticable difference between one racket that has a 3/8 grip and one that has a 1/2 grip? Could I just stick an overgrip on the 3/8 grip? Sry for the silly question =/

sanitarium
04-26-2004, 04:45 PM
Hey, a 3/8 grip with 2 over grips will be equal to a 1/2 grip

there's enough of a difference to be noticeable, and i'm much more comfortable with a 4 1/2 grip, but it's not a huge difference.

Steve Huff
04-26-2004, 07:30 PM
The main reason for having a backup racket is so that you'll have something to switch to if you break a string or the frame during a match. You can customize a 3/8s to feel like a 1/2, but not just using overgrips. There is a difference too. When you hold the grip, you hand will be in a different position with a different size grip. Not much different, but enough to effect your shots, and especially your serve. To make the grips the same, take off the grip, measure the larger one with calipers, and use tape to build up each side to the measurement of the larger grip/

Robert Jones
04-27-2004, 12:24 PM
What kind of tape do you use? Does that do a better job at keeping the shape of the handle intact?

I did two overgrips and it seemed to round out the handle too much.

The main reason for having a backup racket is so that you'll have something to switch to if you break a string or the frame during a match. You can customize a 3/8s to feel like a 1/2, but not just using overgrips. There is a difference too. When you hold the grip, you hand will be in a different position with a different size grip. Not much different, but enough to effect your shots, and especially your serve. To make the grips the same, take off the grip, measure the larger one with calipers, and use tape to build up each side to the measurement of the larger grip/

PrestigeClassic
04-30-2004, 01:13 AM
...not to mention the different balance point the overly overgripped or otherwise modified racket will experience.

If you want to experiment with tape, I think a couple layers of duct tape up the length of the handle (one centered on each long side) will work; some people use masking tape or electrical tape. But it is much better to have your proper grip size if you are in for the long haul with any given frames.

andirez
04-30-2004, 01:21 AM
You can always use a heat shrink sleeve to make a 4 1/2 out of your 4 3/8 grip (http://www.tennis4all.com/info/grips/shrink.shtml)

Be aware though that it will add around 12 to 16 grams to your handle so your raqcuet will shift to being a bit more headlight.

(I actually buy 4 3/8 racquets on purpose and install heat shrink sleeves to increase the static weight of the racquet (and make it more HL at the same time)).