PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Maverick: ATP Champion's/Legends Volkl staff, early 2000's

dje31
08-08-2011, 03:40 PM
This should probably go in the Former Pro Player forum, but I don't know if TM ever goes there.

Anywho, in the early 2000's, the lion's share of old pro's playing the senior tour were on Volkl's roster. If you have access and are allowed to divulge it, do you know who was using what, beneath the paint job? Even if they weren't Volkl?

At the time, the C10 Pro and Tour 10 Mid & M+ were current product in the Player's stick category, IIRC. Not sure the V-Engines were around just yet, but my ever diminishing memory says they weren't. I think at least a couple were listed as using the V1, but again, perhaps a PJ.

More than a couple were ex-Rossignol staffers, IIRC.

I'm sure I'll have some missing, or some who don't belong, but here were a bunch I recall:

Boris Becker (though I don't think Becker was active on the senior tour then)
Pat Cash
Wayne Ferreira (?)
Guy Forget (I probably have him wrong)
Andres Gomez (ex-Rossi)
Johan Kriek (though I think I remember him mostly playing Wilson...maybe Donnay)
Petr Korda
Henri Leconte
John McEnroe (though he'd bailed to go back to Dunlop...did he use a "stock" C10 Pro?)
Yannick Noak
Mikael Pernfors
Pat Rafter
Michael Stich (not sure he was on the sr. tour back then)
Mats Wilander

Others besides TM are welcome to contribute as well.

Cheers

TennisMaverick
08-08-2011, 04:01 PM
This should probably go in the Former Pro Player forum, but I don't know if TM ever goes there.

Anywho, in the early 2000's, the lion's share of old pro's playing the senior tour were on Volkl's roster. If you have access and are allowed to divulge it, do you know who was using what, beneath the paint job? Even if they weren't Volkl?

At the time, the C10 Pro and Tour 10 Mid & M+ were current product in the Player's stick category, IIRC. Not sure the V-Engines were around just yet, but my ever diminishing memory says they weren't. I think at least a couple were listed as using the V1, but again, perhaps a PJ.

More than a couple were ex-Rossignol staffers, IIRC.

I'm sure I'll have some missing, or some who don't belong, but here were a bunch I recall:

Boris Becker (though I don't think Becker was active on the senior tour then)
Pat Cash
Wayne Ferreira (?)
Guy Forget (I probably have him wrong)
Andres Gomez (ex-Rossi)
Johan Kriek (though I think I remember him mostly playing Wilson...maybe Donnay)
Petr Korda
Henri Leconte
John McEnroe (though he'd bailed to go back to Dunlop...did he use a "stock" C10 Pro?)
Yannick Noak
Mikael Pernfors
Pat Rafter
Michael Stich (not sure he was on the sr. tour back then)
Mats Wilander

Others besides TM are welcome to contribute as well.

Cheers

All of the retired players were using Volkl, used the product advertised as far as I know, except for Korda. Some did use painted over T10 Gen II MPs, even active contracted players at the time, around 2005, Taino and Kim. Korda kept using BITD VEs, like the TR 25 and T 9 30--I have one of his--depending on what was being manufactured for his needs at the time--I begged for them but they would not comply. Boris uses/used whatever was made for him which was designed to be marketed at the time: Q10 Tour, BB 10, BB 11 SE which he R&D'd, BB Legend, and now, the BB Melbourne, which probably plays closest to his old Puma.

vsbabolat
08-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Boris Becker Used the Quantum 10 Tour with various paint jobs.
Pat Cash C10 Pro, Tour 10 MP, VE TOur 10 MP, DNX 10 MP.
Wayne Ferreira Was still on the main Tour and used Dunlop.
Guy Forget Used Donnay and Lecoste racquets on teh ATP tour. Since retirement used Major/Tecnifibre frames and uses the Babolat Aero ProDrive.
Andres Gomez used Roosinol and Yonex on the ATP tour. Still was using Yonex last I saw R-22.
Johan Kriek Played Rossignol and Donnay while on the ATP Tour. Since retirement I remember him using Wilson.
Petr Korda TR-25
Henri Leconte Used a few different head frames and the swtiched to the Voelkl VE Tour 10 Mid.
John McEnroe C10 Pro and then C10 Pro with Quantum 10 Tour cosmetics
Yannick Noak
Mikael Pernfors HEAD PT57A with i.Radical MP paint job
Pat Rafter Prince Precision Response MP
Michael Stich Fischer Vacuum Pro 90
Mats Wilander Used the Catapult 10

dje31
08-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the input, TM & VSB. I was going from memory of those I remember seeing on the Volkl website, and those currently listed on the current ATP senior tour. I think I was mistaking Pat Rafter for Pat Cash.

Those were heady days for Volkl, what with so many of the old guard embracing their sticks. Too bad it didn't last, or trickle more into the mainstream, or the regular pro tour.

Anybody have a link (archive.org?) with the old page? Without having it, were there any other significant players on their list that I forgot?

Rabbit
08-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Pat Cash actually used a C10 OS.

ericsson
08-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Boris Becker Used the Quantum 10 Tour with various paint jobs.
Pat Cash C10 Pro, Tour 10 MP, VE TOur 10 MP, DNX 10 MP.
Wayne Ferreira Was still on the main Tour and used Dunlop.
Guy Forget Used Donnay and Lecoste racquets on teh ATP tour. Since retirement used Major/Tecnifibre frames and uses the Babolat Aero ProDrive.
Andres Gomez used Roosinol and Yonex on the ATP tour. Still was using Yonex last I saw R-22.
Johan Kriek Played Rossignol and Donnay while on the ATP Tour. Since retirement I remember him using Wilson.
Petr Korda TR-25
Henri Leconte Used a few different head frames and the swtiched to the Voelkl VE Tour 10 Mid.
John McEnroe C10 Pro and then C10 Pro with Quantum 10 Tour cosmetics
Yannick Noak
Mikael Pernfors HEAD PT57A with i.Radical MP paint job
Pat Rafter Prince Precision Response MP
Michael Stich Fischer Vacuum Pro 90
Mats Wilander Used the Catapult 10

Hi VS, i have one of Becker's rackets and he is using a custom mold, he did use the Q10tour in the first years under various pj's but the one i have is nothing like the Q10T, the shape is more narrower then the Q10T, nothing like the C10 too, the throat is longer...
People at Volkl were not to keen giving me info about it, just told me it was custom just for Mr.Becker.

Henri Leconte probably used the most different rackets (some stock)
i saw him with many different models during his whole career, (Donnay, Head, Volkl, Fischer, Wilson, Babolat, Dunlop, Major etc..., incredible!

Yannick Noah used a real Catapult 2 when joining Volkl, unvelievable if you know how powerful and light that stick is...

dje31
08-09-2011, 06:27 AM
Can the case be made that Volkl had the chance to get to the next tier, had it not been for: a) the rampant use of new string tech; b) the rise of Babolat and all the seeds they planted among the juniors coming to fruition; and c) the game evolving into what it is now?

vsbabolat
08-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Hi VS, i have one of Becker's rackets and he is using a custom mold, he did use the Q10tour in the first years under various pj's but the one i have is nothing like the Q10T, the shape is more narrower then the Q10T, nothing like the C10 too, the throat is longer...
People at Volkl were not to keen giving me info about it, just told me it was custom just for Mr.Becker.

Henri Leconte probably used the most different rackets (some stock)
i saw him with many different models during his whole career, (Donnay, Head, Volkl, Fischer, Wilson, Babolat, Dunlop, Major etc..., incredible!

Yannick Noah used a real Catapult 2 when joining Volkl, unvelievable if you know how powerful and light that stick is...

Hi ericsson, great info as usual. Thanks for the post.:)

vsbabolat
08-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Can the case be made that Volkl had the chance to get to the next tier, had it not been for: a) the rampant use of new string tech; b) the rise of Babolat and all the seeds they planted among the juniors coming to fruition; and c) the game evolving into what it is now?

I'd say it was none of the above. They pulled the plug on their sponsored tour players for a while. Now they are just starting to get back on tour and trying to sign some players.

dje31
08-09-2011, 02:06 PM
I'd say it was none of the above. They pulled the plug on their sponsored tour players for a while. Now they are just starting to get back on tour and trying to sign some players.

Still, that was a high water mark for Volkl, having that many big (albeit yesterday's news) players on their roster. Too bad they couldn't have capitalized on it.

TennisMaverick
08-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Still, that was a high water mark for Volkl, having that many big (albeit yesterday's news) players on their roster. Too bad they couldn't have capitalized on it.

They dumped all of the retired players because sponsoring them did not sell racquets. It's that simple.

galain
08-09-2011, 11:56 PM

Last I saw, Kriek was using a Dunlop 300 series.

AndrewD
08-10-2011, 09:33 PM
They dumped all of the retired players because sponsoring them did not sell racquets. It's that simple.

They didn't dump the players, the tour dumped Volkl. It's that simple.

TennisMaverick
08-11-2011, 01:45 AM
They didn't dump the players, the tour dumped Volkl. It's that simple.

Wrong.

The sales were not representative of the marking funds given out. Not enough bang for the buck. It's that simple.

When you don't play with a Volkl, you can't get what it means to play with one.

GoSurfBoy
08-11-2011, 07:06 AM
It's funny about the connection to sponsored players and 'selling rackets';

I now see as LOT of real hacky guys - not to be insulting - but those gym-rat kind of guys who show up with a hot chick, can't play AT ALL, and just HAMMER the ball at their girl?

Head YouTek Speed.

No more Wilsons nor Babolats