PDA

View Full Version : Asics Shoes - Opinions wanted...

TripleB
08-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Today while watching tennis, Asics shoes were mentioned as being a good shoe. Being an on/off runner I always thought of Asics as a runner's shoe company.

For those of you who have worn/do wear Asics, what model did you/do you wear and what is your opinion of Asic shoes?

From what little I've read, some comment that the durability is not that good on some of the models.

Thanks for any info.

TripleB

PS: I'm coming from the Barricade but it seems clunky, stiff, and I hate the tongue. I wear a size 12 in the Barricades and have a medium to narrow foot that is almost flat.

tennis4life6965
08-09-2011, 09:54 AM
I am on my second pair of the gel res 3's and I love them. By far most comfortable shoe I have ever worn. They are pretty light and breathable, but very stable as well. Duurabiity is ok. About the same as the courtballistics. I definatley reccomend the asics. Will keep using them!!

colan5934
08-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Durability aside, the Asics Resolution series is, IMHO, the best tennis shoe on the market. They are one of the faster feeling shoes on the market, fit my (<---- key word) foot well, have good cushioning, support, and breathability. They do wear out quite fast, but the 3 is better than the 2, and they do come with a durability guarantee. You can play with them right out of the box with no break-in required. I suggest you give them a try. If you really don't like them, you can utilize the warranty through Tennis Warehouse to get different shoes once you've made it through the outsoles, which really doesn't take too long if you're playing moderately competitive tennis on a regular basis. I play about 15 to 20 hours a week as a competitive high school player and USTA junior, and I get anywhere from 8 to 10 weeks before they're completely blown out, granted, I slide a lot.

ced
08-09-2011, 11:04 AM
These are fine: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Asics_Gel_Game_3_WhiteNavy/descpageMSASICS-AMGG3WB.html and right here at TW. Light, comfortable, supportive.
Nice shoe at a reasonable price.

max
08-09-2011, 11:11 AM
These are fine: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Asics_Gel_Game_3_WhiteNavy/descpageMSASICS-AMGG3WB.html and right here at TW. Light, comfortable, supportive.
Nice shoe at a reasonable price.

Wow. That looks VERY good!

I was planning to buy Reeboks (I LOVE the DMX cushion). But I've lately tried running in Asics (my brother recommended them) and the cushioning is wonderful in my Asics running shoes. So these you cite look REALLY very good.

MomentumGT
08-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Asics I feel are the best shoes out there that combine comfort and performance all in one. I've used Resolution 2, Game 2, and Challenger 7 & 8's out of the Asics line and they pretty much saved my knees from all the constant pounding of hard courts. I've used Babolats, Reeboks, Barricades 5 & 6, and Court ballistics and I feel Reebok only comes close in terms of comfort and performance. I've gained so much weight over the years and if it weren't for the these shoes I wouldn't be playing as much LOL (4.5 C Player)

I would have to agree that the durability isn't as good as the Barricades or the others (babolat Propulse's are the worst), but I feel the Challenger 8's come pretty close.

-Jon

ced
08-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Wow. That looks VERY good!

I was planning to buy Reeboks (I LOVE the DMX cushion). But I've lately tried running in Asics (my brother recommended them) and the cushioning is wonderful in my Asics running shoes. So these you cite look REALLY very good.

It's a good shoe ... I have 2 pair and rotate them every day ... plus only use them for tennis.

TripleB
08-09-2011, 11:49 AM
I should have mentioned I've been wearing the Adidas Barricade II and before that the Prince T10. Both of them I found to offer good support (especially since I've worn a 3/4 or 5/8 top tennis shoe since 1991 I was worried about rolling an ankle again) but both seemed rather clunky and a bit on the stiff side. Also hated the tongue on the Barricade II...too short and wouldn't stay in one spot.

I wear a size 12 in the Barricades and have a medium to narrow foot that is almost flat.

Thanks for everyone's in put so far!

TripleB

Boricua
08-09-2011, 12:25 PM
The new Yonex shoe is as comfortable and more stable than the Asics but the Asics are cool looking.

banter
08-09-2011, 12:57 PM
I have a relatively low arch.

Asics GR3: Fabulous shoe- best tennis shoe I've worn. It has a great compromise between weight and comfort. The stability is the best (the plastic heel support does the trick). The only knock on the shoe is sole durability, but that's nothing to frete about since Asics offer a warranty. Sole durability is just not Asics' strong suit, but they nailed everything else.

Previous tennis shoes: Nike (Breathe Free II, Cages II, Balistics 2.3) adidas (Barricade III, V)

I also use Asics for running.

jayserinos99
08-09-2011, 01:10 PM
As a fellow B2 user, I used the GR2 as a back up/practice shoe. I have wide feet with low arches and they are quite comfy. The durability isn't the greatest, but with the 6-month warranty, I know I'll be able to get a second pair no problem even if I only use the shoes 2-3x a week.

For me, my game day shoe is the B2 because I 'feel' faster in them thanks to the stiffer feel and more glove like fit, but when I practice, I used the GR2. I may end up getting a pair of the GR3s soon since I just wore through my last pair of GR2s.

Uvijek Argen
08-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Agree with the guys Asics Resolution series, together with Nike 2K10/11 are the more comfy, breathable shoe in the tennis market.

Tennis Man
08-09-2011, 01:37 PM
GR2 for me, the best I had so far for comfort.

fuzz nation
08-09-2011, 02:51 PM
I have a very similar foot - size 12, rather narrow, and also rather flat, though I've never had problems that might come from flat feet.

Used some Diadoras a while back and they had a very low-to-the-ground layout that seemed sort of like a soccer shoe. Whatever cushioning they had in those thinner soles worked fine for me, but my mobility and feel for the surface under my feet was outstanding. One other benefit of this low slung layout seemed to be a higher degree of stability - my lower shoe made my foot feel much less prone to "tip over" when I made aggressive changes of direction.

That brand got tougher to find, so I looked around for a similar lower layout and saw the positive feedback that the Gel Resolutions from Asics were raking in. The description on the TW page indicated that the Resolution was cut more for a wider foot, but the Gel Game looked like the more narrow alternative, so I pulled the trigger.

For me, these shoes have easily earned a spot in my personal hall of fame. The price on the Gel Games has only been a bonus, too. I currently have three pairs of Gel Game 2's in service and won't hesitate to get some of the Gel Game 3's when the time comes. Durability has been no worse than average - I've had a couple of pairs of sneaks that were pure crap in that department. While these aren't iron clad, I'd say they've been much better than acceptable.

Hard to predict whether these will be great for you TripleB, but from the sounds of things, you'd be smart to at least get a look at them. FYI, I've always measured a narrow size 12 and that's exactly the size of Asics shoes that works for me (no half size larger or smaller business).

max
08-09-2011, 03:17 PM
OK. That's it. I'm going to pull the trigger and get some Asics. I'm very pleased with my Asics running shoes, and folks here like the tennis stuff, too.

tennis4josh
08-09-2011, 03:50 PM
The most comfortable tennis shoes I have ever tried. I am done with Nike and Adidas for good. The challengers fit narrow feet and gel resolutions fit the wider fee. Both are very very stable shoes with great cushioning.

The durability is alright in my opinion. I play about 8-10 hours per week and they last me about 4 months. But the out sole warranty takes care of it. For me they wear out completely on the same spot on the left shoe every single time. So its really me not the shoes.

-Josh

TripleB
08-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks for all the feedback...believe I'll order a pair this weekend.

I don't really want to put $104 in a pair of shoes right now.

Of the Gel Game 3, Gel Challenger 8, and Challenger 7 shoes, which offers the best combination of stability, comfort, and quickness.

Thanks again..didn't know Asics shoes had such a large following.

TripleB

marcub
08-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Today while watching tennis, Asics shoes were mentioned as being a good shoe. Being an on/off runner I always thought of Asics as a runner's shoe company.

For those of you who have worn/do wear Asics, what model did you/do you wear and what is your opinion of Asic shoes?

From what little I've read, some comment that the durability is not that good on some of the models.

Thanks for any info.

TripleB

PS: I'm coming from the Barricade but it seems clunky, stiff, and I hate the tongue. I wear a size 12 in the Barricades and have a medium to narrow foot that is almost flat.

An Asics addict here, my running shoes are Asics and I wear Gel Resolution 3 on the court. They are simply the best for my feet - best comfort and support albeit not necessarily the best durability.

Before you order however, regardless of what anyone says, try them on, all feet are not created equal.

jim e
08-09-2011, 07:01 PM

Of the Gel Game 3, Gel Challenger 8, and Challenger 7 shoes, which offers the best combination of stability, comfort, and quickness.

TripleB

I wear a size 12 for normal shoe size, and the Gel Challengers fit true to size, are light weight, as my speed running on the court is one of my biggest assets, although it still does not compensate for my bad technique, but these shoes keep me fast on my feet, and they are very comfortable right out of the box. Well worth the $ spent on them.You have the comfort and quickness with them. I never wore many that were very stabile as I try and keep the weight to a minimum with shoes.

TripleB
08-09-2011, 07:09 PM
I never wore many that were very stabile as I try and keep the weight to a minimum with shoes.

Thanks for the input.

Until a few years ago I wore 3/4 or 5/8 cut tennis shoes due to a rolled ankle in the early 90s. So that fear of rolling an ankle is still there so I'm looking for some stability.

TripleB

stoble
08-10-2011, 07:40 AM
I'm a recent convert to Asics tennis shoes as well. Really impressed with my 1st pair of Asics. Challenger 8s. I officially declare these toe-dragger safe.

ace18
08-10-2011, 08:00 AM

TripleB

TripleB, I have followed your racquet reviews closely and bought an Ozone Tour based upon your feedback. I know, at the time, you were comparing the 4D300 and Ozone, I use the AG300 also, glad you came back to the right stick, :)

I was also a Barricade II user a few years back. Over the past few years I've tried the Nike Breathe Cage and New Balance 1004's. I tried the GR2's and absolutely loved them. Bought a 2nd pair and loved them. Read not so great reviews on the GR3, so tried the Gel Challenger 8, had them about 2 months and love them. Durability isn't great, but they have a 6 month guarantee. Unfortunately, I haven't been playing enough to wear them out in the 6 month time frame, but the shoes are fantastic, IMO. Good Luck

TripleB
08-10-2011, 12:43 PM
TripleB, I have followed your racquet reviews closely and bought an Ozone Tour based upon your feedback. I know, at the time, you were comparing the 4D300 and Ozone, I use the AG300 also, glad you came back to the right stick, :)

I tried the GR2's and absolutely loved them. Bought a 2nd pair and loved them...tried the Gel Challenger 8, had them about 2 months and love them.

I'm torn right now...love the slightly heavier weight of the Ozone Tour at times but love the maneuverablity at net of the 4D 300. Since I'm playing both singles and doubles right now I'm trying to stick with the Dunlop. Although I pulled out the Gamma T-7 the other night and played very well, jumping out to a 5-1 lead...of course at that point I lost 5 straight games. So as good as I played with it the first 6, that's how poorly I played with it those 5 games. Won the set 7-6 and then switched to the 4D 300 with the Cyclone in it...played very good and won that set 6-4.

Do you like the Challengers as well as you did the Resolutions? Do they fit pretty similarly and feel pretty much the same? If not, what are the main differences?

Thanks.

TripleB

banter
08-22-2011, 07:21 PM
I'm interested in getting a back up for my GR3. How does the Challenger 8 compare in terms of support?

I know the 8's only have half of the plastic heel and mid-foot support. I'm curious how much that affects stability.

martini1
08-30-2011, 08:21 AM
The best thing about gel res 3 is the removable insert. I slip in a pair of superfeet and pretty much have the best shoe I ever had. And I have B5 and CB1.3.

netguy
08-30-2011, 08:51 AM
If you are not a toe-dragger,
Prince Rebel, but you should change the insole for a more cushy one.

banter
08-31-2011, 06:46 PM
Like martini1 said, superfeet plus GR3 is heaven.

I'm deciding to put the following info here because this is a live thread about asics shoes:

Regarding the GR3's, I have the white/brick and I just got the black/yellow. There is a difference in feel. The white is stiffer while the black is more supple. This is no knock on the white because I like the rigidity, but I don't mind the extremely soft, in comparison, black shoe. Also the black/yellow's inner lining of the ankle seems to be a smoother material.

I'm ok with all that is mentioned, I just thought it would be worth noting. I've already used my warranty for the white one, so I'll be using the black one more. I'll be wearing it everywhere. They are so soft and wonderful!