PDA

View Full Version : The specs of your nCode6.1 90" ?

ART ART
07-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Just for us to see the differences in control/quality, provided for this racket:
My nCode6.1 90" strung with Polyester/multifilament(mains/crosses) and overgrip(tourna), weights 370grams(13,05 ounce) and 31cm point balance from but cap.
Yours?

ART ART
07-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Just tested another racket from a friend, strung with full poly and overgrip: 368grams, and 31,5cm point balance from but cap.

rulik
07-05-2005, 12:18 AM
ART ART.
what brands and gauge polyester/multifilament you use ?

ART ART
07-05-2005, 05:13 AM
My poly is ProsPro CyberPower 1.25mm and the multifilament is Tecnifibre TR3 1.30mm.
My friends rackets is full ProsPro CyberPower 1.25mm.
But the differences in weight from the strings aren't that much, the strings should weight around 17grams.
More feedback please from all nCode6.1 90" users.

ART ART
07-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Rulik: can you post your specs?

alan-n
07-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Two NCode tour 90s... 4 3/8 grip size, strung, rubberband dampener with Wilson overgrip

Strung with Technifibre NRG2-17 @ 55lbs:
360 g, 31.3 cm

Strung with Klip Legend 15L Gut @ 55lbs:
366 g, 31.6 cm

Both unstrung without overgrip weigh exactly 340 g, and equal balance.

rulik
07-05-2005, 08:35 PM
One ncode 90', 4 3/8 customized to 4 1/4 with returning the ballance back by lead tape and with out of changing the butt cap.
Babolet overgrip.
String with Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16 @ 58lb, cheap but not bad.

ART ART
07-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Weight and balance?

rulik
07-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Sorry, i don't know my racquet's weight but the ballance is about 9-10 points HL.

Keifers
07-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Just a thought, ART ART. I wonder if it would be useful to note Wilson's manufacturing code along with the specs of each nCode 90? That's the three-letter code stamped on the butt cap (e.g. GFR, GHW).

That may produce some information about variations in specs between Wilson factories -- although it should be noted that the way in which racquets are produced allows plenty of variation in frames produced at the same location.

ART ART
07-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Good point, I will post the code of mine later, but shouldn't all the rackets be produced by the same factory in china, according to Wilson specs, and process making?
Some say that the factory is the same that other brands use, to produce their rackets too... so it is expected that the margin for error does exist, just like in other brands and other models, even inside Wilson...

BreakPoint
07-07-2005, 11:02 AM
I have two Asian nCode 6.1 90's that are 0.4 oz. apart in weight. One is 12.2 oz. and the other is 12.6 oz. Both are strung with overgrip and dampener. Either the quality control is poor or the manufacturing tolerances are very generous, but I think that's a huge difference in weight that borders on being unacceptable.

VAmazona
07-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Where/how do I find out the swing weight specs and balance strung?

Here's what I have:

gamma TNT rx 17g @ 62lbs
Yonex Super Grap Orver Grip (white)

I've never done a blend..is it worth experimenting over?

ncode
07-07-2005, 01:42 PM
balance: 318-320mm from butcap.
Strung with 1.25 Kirschbaum, wilson pro overgrip white and wilson profeel vibration dampener. Also lead (see sig). I have not measure the weight yet. :(

Keifers
07-07-2005, 04:23 PM
I agree, BreakPoint. 12.2 oz. and 12.6 oz. is quite a discrepancy. Do you know if they were produced at the same facility?

Along the same line, do you have any information for ART ART, who in Post #11 above, asked whether there is one factory in China that produces frames for many brands and whether Wilson has multiple factories? (I'd like to know too.)

BTW, thank you for your many, many informative posts over the years about racquets, strings and other matters on these boards. I am a new member, but a long time reader, and I have appreciated your many contributions -- especially your experience and knowledge of the Pro Staff racquets, and your (thoughtful and very well written) reviews for TW.

BreakPoint
07-07-2005, 06:04 PM
I agree, BreakPoint. 12.2 oz. and 12.6 oz. is quite a discrepancy. Do you know if they were produced at the same facility?

Along the same line, do you have any information for ART ART, who in Post #11 above, asked whether there is one factory in China that produces frames for many brands and whether Wilson has multiple factories? (I'd like to know too.)

BTW, thank you for your many, many informative posts over the years about racquets, strings and other matters on these boards. I am a new member, but a long time reader, and I have appreciated your many contributions -- especially your experience and knowledge of the Pro Staff racquets, and your (thoughtful and very well written) reviews for TW.

Thanks, Keifers, for your kind words. I'm glad that you've enjoyed reading my posts and reviews. Hopefully, they were of some help to you.

As far as the factory in China, I'm not really sure. I assume that both of my AnCode 90's were made in the same factory in China, but I could be wrong. I do believe they were produced during different periods, though, since one has a sliver sticker and the other a black sticker inside the throat where they list the specs. I think the one with the sliver sticker was produced last year, whereas, the one with the black sticker was produced this year. Perhaps changes were made within that time with their molds or manufacturing processes to have caused this weight discrepancy?

I also do not know if there is more than one Wilson factory in China or if the Wilson factory also makes racquets for other brands, although I wouldn't doubt it. It's quite possible, just as a semiconductor chip foundry will make chips for many different brands.

timmyboy
07-07-2005, 06:38 PM
YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!

lol, but i mean it. why would they do that? cuz then some factory worker could be talking to some other factory worker after work and the wilson factory worker might tell out the compounds used to make a wilson trademark and tell it to the head factory worker and the head factory worker will tell head and then all companies racquets will be similar.

BreakPoint
07-07-2005, 07:16 PM
It's called contract manufacturing. It's quite possible Wilson uses contract manufacturing in China which means they do not own the factory. They sign a confidentiality agreement with the factory not to disclose any trade secrets or any proprietary designs with any competitors. The factory really doesn't care, they just crank out racquets for whomever is willing to pay for them. That's their business. It's probably also why there are so many counterfeit Wilson racquets floating around Asia.

If Wilson was really concerned about people stealing their secret technologies, they would bring the manufacturing in-house and make racquets exclusively in their own factories. Just goes to show that these racquet companies do not really consider any of their supposedly secret technologies secret at all or even technologies at all. They probably realize that there hasn't been any real new technologies introduced in tennis racquets since graphite over 30 years ago, so who cares who steals it. Besides, they introduce new models so quickly that if a competitor stole one of their designs, by the time they make a copy of it, Wilson would have moved on to the next "latest and greatest" thing anyway.

tennisnoob
07-07-2005, 07:49 PM
It's called contract manufacturing. It's quite possible Wilson uses contract manufacturing in China which means they do not own the factory. They sign a confidentiality agreement with the factory not to disclose any trade secrets or any proprietary designs with any competitors. The factory really doesn't care, they just crank out racquets for whomever is willing to pay for them. That's their business. It's probably also why there are so many counterfeit Wilson racquets floating around Asia.

Or i guess we can call the racquet factory an original equipment manufacturer (OEM), which namely Amer Sports (Owner of Wilson Sports) has appointed them to be the exclusive manufacturer of their tennis, badminton & Squash racquets.

BreakPoint
07-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Or i guess we can call the racquet factory an original equipment manufacturer (OEM), which namely Amer Sports (Owner of Wilson Sports) has appointed them to be the exclusive manufacturer of their tennis, badminton & Squash racquets.

Yes, we can also call them an OEM. BTW, when are you visiting said factory?

tennisnoob
07-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Yes, we can also call them an OEM. BTW, when are you visiting said factory?

I'll be planning a few stops in between but definitely have to spend more time in Shanghai, i'll keep you posted, lets not discuss this here, shall we?

ART ART
07-08-2005, 05:34 PM
OK, I have removed the string and overgrip, and guess what... 351grams(12,4 once)!!! that's a lot far way from the specs they say it should be. The code in butcapp is GHY, Wilson should be notified about their control quallity. Very very bad...
About the factory, yes the same factory produces rackets for other brands, that has been said by a lot of people who knows what they say. Shame for us... or for them.

PrestigeClassic
07-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Ugh. ART ART, didn't you also get an early Tour 90 from Canada that you stated was 13 ounces?

ART ART
07-08-2005, 06:24 PM
PrestigeClassic: me? no. I never said that, maybe another guy, but not me. I think I will complain to Wilson, maybe they give me some feedback about this, 10grams is a lot.

supersmash
07-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Sorry, i don't know my racquet's weight but the ballance is about 9-10 points HL.

hey me too!

rulik
07-09-2005, 08:59 AM
ART ART.
Wilson is not like Yonex which produces racquets with high end quality. No way you will got any proper feedbacks even for 10g difference. If you do care a lot, may be possible to send the racquets back and ask for exchange for a matched pair.

La Bomba
07-09-2005, 05:55 PM
Yeh, luckily i got my 2 ncode 95's specially selected and 1 was 348 grams and the other was 350. But when they were being weighed there was 1 that was 355 grams.

ART ART
07-09-2005, 06:04 PM
La Bomba: That weight is strung and with overgrip?

La Bomba
07-09-2005, 06:12 PM
It had that wilson information cardboard thing on it which is equivilent to the weight of string. It did not have an overgrip on it. Whoa, your wilson Tour 90 is a beast weighing 370grams. Whoa there seems to be a problem with wilson quility control