PDA

View Full Version : Japan or Italy

divito
07-04-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm planning to take trips to Japan and Italy next summer. I'll be heading to Rome and Tokyo, possibly some other cities and was wondering if anyone is from either place or has visited and knows anything about the tennis around there.

TwistServe
07-04-2005, 09:32 PM
Say hi to bracialli

Phil
07-04-2005, 09:39 PM
I'm planning to take trips to Japan and Italy next summer. I'll be heading to Rome and Tokyo, possibly some other cities and was wondering if anyone is from either place or has visited and knows anything about the tennis around there.

Knows anything as in playing, watching or buying equipment? As for playing in Tokyo, it's not easy-there are few public courts (for a city of its size) and they are extremely crowded during the weekends. The suburbs have more courts, and are easier to book (provided you speak Japanese, or know someone who does). Don't waste your time trying to get a game in Tokyo if you're only there a short time. If you really have to play, check out a group lesson-at least you'll get on a court.

Watching: The AIG Japan Open is played every October, and many of the best ATP players show up (but many more cancel or don't show at all). The Ariake no Mori Tennis Center is beautiful. The Toray Pan Pacific is a WTA event played in January, and for that, usually the top players DO show up to play.

Buying: Lots of tennis stores in Tokyo. Prices are, by US standards, ridiculously high-unless you REALLY, REALLY must have an Asian-market-only Wilson or Dunlop racquet, don't bother-get your stuff from TW. By European price standards, I understand the prices are around the same. The other racquet brands are usually the same as ones as sold in the US. Also, you can find Mizuno, Bridgestone and, occasionally, Yamaha racquets here that aren't sold anywhere else. You can also find clothes that you wouldn't find elsewhere, like Yonex, Mizuno and a couple lesser-known tennis designer brands. And of course, there are those Yonex-licensed Prince Of Tennis shirts and accessories. Have fun.

divito
07-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Ya, I'm looking forward to the Prince of Tennis stuff, and other animes as I'm bringing lots of extra cash. I'd probably be there for 1-2 weeks so I was thinking about bringing the rackets along but it is still up in the air.

Phil
07-04-2005, 11:09 PM
Ya, I'm looking forward to the Prince of Tennis stuff, and other animes as I'm bringing lots of extra cash. I'd probably be there for 1-2 weeks so I was thinking about bringing the rackets along but it is still up in the air.

Japan is not the ideal destination to play tennis, but there are a lot of things to do there other than tennis. My suggestion: leave the racquets at home, and try to enjoy the country. If you go to Shizuoka (near the base of Mount Fuji), THEN maybe you should bring your racquets as there are reportedly over 2,500 courts in the area.

divito
07-05-2005, 12:25 AM
Well, if I do the 2 weeks, I'm sure I'd get around to it. Sounds like you know what you're talking about. I'm guessing you took a trip there?? Got any tips or cool places to check out?

Phil
07-05-2005, 12:37 AM
Well, if I do the 2 weeks, I'm sure I'd get around to it. Sounds like you know what you're talking about. I'm guessing you took a trip there?? Got any tips or cool places to check out?

I took a trip there, yeah, but for some reason, I haven't left the place for almost five years;-) (I live there). It's ALL cool on your first trip, really. If you do two weeks, make sure you get down to Kyoto and Nara.

divito
07-05-2005, 12:45 AM
aha, that sounds fun, maybe I'll like it enough to stay there :D

The only thing scary is trying to learn more of the language, even though it's my favorite language behind Russian. I've watched tons of anime so I know most of the essential stuff, but I remember reading some long essay written by a Japanese major about why Japanese is the worst and hardest language to learn. It was written out of good fun, but was intriguing nonetheless.

Actually, the stuff I've been reading claims the summer is random with weather. What do you advise as far as time frame during the summer?

Phil
07-05-2005, 02:19 AM
You learned "most of the essential stuff" of the Japanese language by watching anime??? I guess I should start watching it then. All that time spent in language school when all I had to do was watch cartoons-geez, what was I thinking!

divito
07-05-2005, 02:28 AM
Essential as in, please, sorry, i understand, excuse me, good morning, hello, yes, no , thank you, youre welcome, just a minute, etc... All from the subtitles, if the phrase is repetitive enough it becomes easy to isolate what each means.

By no means would I be able to have much of a conversation but I'd be able to understand a little and at least get by with the little stuff I know. Plus these two books I have, Frommer's and Fodor's have tons of other stuff that I can use, hence their purpose.

rommil
07-07-2005, 10:48 AM
Hey divito, if you end up in Japan and hopefully Okinawa, tell Hattori Hanzo I'm still waiting for my sword....Have fun man....

Phil
07-07-2005, 10:29 PM
divito - Did you receive my e-mail?

divito
07-07-2005, 10:32 PM
No I haven't received it yet. I was given a delayed notice when I sent mine, it is probably the same case here.

divito
07-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Still hasn't arrived, although after that Bush thread, I doubt you'd care.

Phil
07-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Still hasn't arrived, although after that Bush thread, I doubt you'd care.

It's just an opinion; doesn't bother me. After all, not everyone is fortunate enough, like me, to be right all the time. I'll give it another try this afternoon.

divito
07-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Perhaps I can purchase some "Phil" lessons while in Japan. :P

Phil
07-13-2005, 03:04 AM
Perhaps I can purchase some "Phil" lessons while in Japan. :P

Still haven't received my e-mail? I'll give it another try, or else, maybe you have an alternative address?

divito
07-15-2005, 05:42 PM
Still haven't gotten it. It is rather strange. You can try ai_orion@hotmail.com and hopefully that will work. Then again, it isn't necessarily a private message so posting it in here probably wouldn't hurt.