PDA

View Full Version : Opinions - 2 New Balance and 3 Asics?

TripleB
08-09-2011, 07:16 PM
I'm currently wearing Barricade II shoe and find them a bit stiff and clunky. In looking for a replacement I'm considering the following:

New Balance 851
New Balance 900D
Asics Challenger 7
Asics Challenger 8
Asics Gel Game 3

Can anyone comment on the stability, overall feel (tight heel/wide toe box/etc.), and comfort on any of the above shoes?

Thank.

TripleB

BTW: if you already responded in my Asics thread no need to respond again here.

Jim A
08-09-2011, 09:10 PM
I've tried a couple NB models and each time it winds up fool me once....

I blew through a pair a couple years ago in the heel and then they wouldn't warranty them, you could hear the air squeaking out and feel the area compress. Same for a 2nd pair.

Also intrigued by the 851's but in the end will likely just stick with something from my normal go to brands..

TripleB
08-10-2011, 03:05 AM
I blew through a pair a couple years ago in the heel and then they wouldn't warranty them, you could hear the air squeaking out and feel the area compress. Same for a 2nd pair.

Thanks for the input.

Sounds something similar to some Prince shoes I had. The first pair was pretty good but at about 3 month the right shoe developed a squeak (like my shoe was wet). The mid sole had come apart from the upper near my arch and squeaked every time I walked. Loved the shoe otherwise so ordered 2 more pairs when they had them on closeout for about $40. Both of those pairs developed a squeak because of the same problem only 2 weeks into wearing each pair.

No more Princes for me. Nike, Adidas, and Babolat are all out because of problems I've had with their shoes in the past. Either I'm going to have to be less picky or I'm going to run out of shoe brands to try!

TripleB

netman
08-10-2011, 07:19 PM
The Challenger 7s run true to size but are a narrow cut. I'd say they are a C width, not a D. Now they may stretch out. ASICS running shoes are as good as it gets and they appear to have taken that knowledge and applied it to their tennis shoes. For $50 (and a 6 month sole guarantee), the Challenger 7s are a steal.

-k-

JGads
08-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Loving the 851s, but it depends on what you look for in a shoe. The 851 is not ultra cushioned like other New Balances, but it's stripped down of that excess weight and so it's incredibly smooth and lightning-fast getting around the court. I have very wide feet, and the E width in these are gold - plenty of room in the toebox for me, but unlike other roomy shoes, the heel is very snug because there are two holes around the ankle to put laces through, and once you tighten up the laces through that second hole, it really closes the shoe around the foot to make you feel secure. I got tired of the more performance oriented, clunky shoes, and with these, I don't think about my shoes anymore during play, which is a good thing.

I will say, however, that the arch is very low so if you have flatter feet they'll work but if you have a high arch, as I do, Superfeet Blue insoles are a must. The 851 plus the Superfeet has given me my favorite court shoe.