PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use extended racquets with one-handed backhands?

pchoi04
08-10-2011, 12:22 AM
I'm trying to get back into my tennis game and it's been about a solid 4 years and probably 6 years since I've played at any competitive level. I have more free time and I've been hitting the courts. I'm thinking about retiring my POG and right before I quit I demoed with a few Babolat racquets and I really enjoyed them.

In addition, I've always been a big fan of extended racquets. I played with the Wilson HPS 5.0 Stretch for a little while, but the stiffness was too much for my wrist to handle.

I don't plan on playing at a competitive level going forward, and I want something with more power and leverage.

Anyway, I want to ask if there are players on this board who hit one handed backhands with extended racquets and gain some feedback? I guess "traditionally" you don't see a lot of players hitting one handers with extended racquets. Lately, I've been hitting more one handed backhands and I think that's what I've always preferred. But I'm just a little concerned.

galain
08-10-2011, 12:48 AM
I tried for awhile with a 28 inch frame but never had much luck. Slices were fine and didn't take long to dial in at all. Coming over the ball I just couldn't get used to. Was almost always late - no matter how early I tried to prepare.

Meaghan
08-10-2011, 01:19 AM
Never had any problem with my extended sticks. Half an inch, considering my tall frame and long arms means very little, in fact the added length helps me find the middle.

dirtballer
08-10-2011, 04:27 AM
My problem with extended rackets was always maneuverability at the net.

movdqa
08-10-2011, 04:56 AM
I've only recently discovered XL sticks and I love them. The biggest pain is finding them. If there's a model out there that you like, then you're fortunate. And I have a one-handed backhand.

If you're having an issue with a shot, you can always choke up until you get grooved.

prjacobs
08-10-2011, 06:06 AM
You've got to demo. I had issues with my ohbh even with a 27.25" frame a while back. The standard length just feels much more solid to me. But I only tried one stick....
Good luck.

WileyCoyote
08-10-2011, 06:22 AM
I just bought the 2009 Babolat Pure Storm Tour GT + which is 1/2" longer than normal.

I really, really like it. Would do it again for sure. The extra length seems to help the serve pop and I really do not notice any downside.

My BH is one handed and I cannot tell the difference in swing between the PSTGT+ and the K6.1 95 I was using previously.

Harry

mikeler
08-10-2011, 07:13 AM
The only thing the extra length effects me on is shots hit right at me. It's a little harder to get out of the way. I hit my one handed backhand just fine with a 27.5" stick.

srvnvly
08-10-2011, 07:21 AM
I have a OHBH and my favorite stick was the Wilson PS 5.1 SurgeX and it worked well for me; no extended sticks in recent years, tho

hescobal
08-10-2011, 07:33 AM
I use a 1hbh and either like to use the 28"kneissl toms machine or the 28" prince precision 730

I've been trying to go back to standard length, but I feel like I have more positive attributes using a longer racquet

Fuji
08-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Richard Gasquet?

He has arguably one of the "best" 1HBH on tour and he uses an extended length stick. Just a little food for thought! :)

As for me, I tried to get used to the extra length, but I just couldn't adapt my forehand to it. Everything else was just as good if not better, but getting my forehand grooved out of its comfort spot? Good luck!

-Fuji

dadozen
08-10-2011, 12:30 PM
I played for a while with the RD10 SuperLong, and I wasn't able to make my BH work decently. But serving was awesome.

mctennis
08-10-2011, 08:00 PM
I tried a 28" version but didn't like the timing on any of my shots and serve. I have no problems with a 27.5" racquet for some reason.

tennisjon
08-10-2011, 08:03 PM
I play with the Pro Kennex Ki-5x which is 27 1/2". I like extended racquets on my serve and my backhand. I prefer standard at the net and am indifferent on my forehand. Based on all of that, I play with a control oriented extended frame.