PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a New Racquet with Good Serve and Volley Frame/Control Frame

Hirotto
08-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Hi, I would like to switch to a racquet that would be suited to a serve and volley type game or just have loads of control.
I perfer stiff racquets that are HL 7pts or greater.

I have hit with an Ncode Six.One tour with an L6 grip size(Normal Grip size 4 3/8 with Overgrip) with a dead Poly/Multi string set up and actually did quite well with it, but the 90 Head size felt a bit too small.

I currently use a dunlop AG 200 18x20 string pattern PHT mains/Syngut cross tight string tension and on paper the Six.one 95 seems to be a good replacement but I would like some more opinions on other racquets. Please, any suggestions would help. :)

Fuji
08-10-2011, 07:39 PM
You might want to check out that new Slazenger racket! It seems like it might be right up your alley for what you need! It was basically made for serve and volleying! :)

-Fuji

TennisMaverick
08-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Hi, I would like to switch to a racquet that would be suited to a serve and volley type game or just have loads of control.
I perfer stiff racquets that are HL 7pts or greater.

I have hit with an Ncode Six.One tour with an L6 grip size(Normal Grip size 4 3/8 with Overgrip) with a dead Poly/Multi string set up and actually did quite well with it, but the 90 Head size felt a bit too small.

I currently use a dunlop AG 200 18x20 string pattern PHT mains/Syngut cross tight string tension and on paper the Six.one 95 seems to be a good replacement but I would like some more opinions on other racquets. Please, any suggestions would help. :)

The Melbourne half volleys like no other frame, and the solidity, responsiveness, and feel on volleys, is awesome.

Hirotto
08-10-2011, 07:58 PM
looks pretty good, i like the strung weight and head size just wish it was a little more HL.
I also mostly play doubles, however I would like to start playing more singles.
With the nCode 6.1 tour i was ripping forehands as hard as I could and it would land it but the grip size was just awkward for more than one or two rips before I had to change to a continental Ground stroke :(

Hirotto
08-10-2011, 07:59 PM
The Melbourne half volleys like no other frame, and the solidity, responsiveness, and feel on volleys, is awesome.

what is the Melbourne?

aggietex08
08-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Anytime I hear serve and volley racquet my mind always jumps to the Prestige.

TM's Melbourne suggestion seems spot on since the two frames specs are almost the same. I haven't personally had a chance to use one though. If it is a Prestige with Volkl/BB feel then I can't even imagine how great it must be.

aggietex08
08-10-2011, 08:59 PM
what is the Melbourne?

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Boris_Becker_Delta_Core_Melbourne/descpageRCVOLKL-BBDCM.html

Hirotto
08-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Thank you, All the suggestions seem to be good. I like the melborune's specs alot b/c of the string pattern.

LeeD
08-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Pretty close to a Dunlop 200.

gino
08-11-2011, 01:08 AM
So with the Wilson BLX 6.1 95 16x18

Great racket to hit serves where you want them and punch volleys

I'm a bit biased because I use this stick, however I think it's great for the aggressive player!

Meaghan
08-11-2011, 02:17 AM
Best s&v racket imo is a custom vantage 95.

Has all the solidity and stability of a pro staff with a little more forgiveness for ground strokes. Also the custom weight and flex etc you can tune it in to suit your style.

TennisMaverick
08-11-2011, 02:24 AM
Anytime I hear serve and volley racquet my mind always jumps to the Prestige.

TM's Melbourne suggestion seems spot on since the two frames specs are almost the same. I haven't personally had a chance to use one though. If it is a Prestige with Volkl/BB feel then I can't even imagine how great it must be.

It is a traditional graphite frame with only a little nano carbon at 3/9, so also plays very well stock without the need for lead tape. Therefore, there is a lot of racquet head acceleration for spin with the 18 mains, and huge ball pocketing with the recessed cross string grommets.

Keifers
08-11-2011, 05:33 AM
Yes, I very close to the Bio 200, the major difference being flex, 57 vs. 64.

TheBoom
08-11-2011, 05:36 AM
Exo3 ignite? The 4d 200 was good as well

vantageboy
08-11-2011, 06:07 AM
The MELBOURNE is a great frame-great spin and comfort-love my LONDON to much but this would be a easy transition.

fuzz nation
08-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Exo3 ignite? The 4d 200 was good as well

I was also going to mention the Ignite from Prince. Great price tag now that it's discontinued, but a strong all-court option with that heavy, head-light, stiff layout not unlike the Wilson 6.1/six-one 95's, which have always been strong performers for S&V or heavy doubles action.

TheBoom
08-11-2011, 09:46 AM
The great thing about the ignite is how it just destroys the ball on volleys but it doesn't have that "lack of feel" or muted feel associated with prince, i felt it played simmilarly to the 6.1 95 but less harsh