PDA

View Full Version : Arm Friendly OS Racquet?

adventure
08-11-2011, 01:18 AM
I'm a 3/3.5 and looking for an arm friendly racquet 105-110."

I've already tried using a midplus, and I always find the OS easier to hit with.

I want the racquet to have at least a little bit of heft (11 oz or more), since I am often playing doubles with players who are 4, or 4.5 who hit the ball pretty hard.

So far, I have a pro kennex, prince OG, and head racquet on the list.

Anything else I should add to the demo list?

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/ProKennex_Ionic_Ki_20_PSE/descpageRCPK-K20PSN.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Prince_Original_Graphite_Oversize_Racquets_/descpageRCPRINCE-GRO.html#spec

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_MicroGEL_Radical_Oversize/descpageRCHEAD-MGRADO.html#spec

Orion3
08-11-2011, 02:07 AM
I'm guessing you are looking for more of a power racket than a control one.

Wouldn't suggest the Prince. If it is more of a 'player' racket - the 93 version is not easy on the arm. The 100 may be better, but I wouldn't expect too much.

Not played with the Radical version you are looking at, so can't comment, but again - Radicals are not rackets that give you any power, you have to provide your own.

and...never hit a Pro Kennex in my life.

OS - Prince have a racket selector to help http://www.princetennis.com/tennis/index.aspx

Also the raquet finder tab on the top of this page may be helpful

rlau
08-11-2011, 02:19 AM
I can vouch for the Microgel Radical OS -- that is a very comfy and arm-friendly frame, that takes well to customization too if you feel you need to tweak it a bit.

Mig1NC
08-11-2011, 03:36 AM
I don't know how much money you are willing to spend, but Vantage makes a powerfull 105 sqin racquet that is pretty arm friendly.

In fact, I have one I am thinking about selling because I don't use it often.

gamerx52986
08-11-2011, 06:50 AM
Another good suggestion would be the Volkl PB7..great Volkl feel nice controllable power and a forgiving headsize.

levy1
08-11-2011, 06:56 AM
I like both Prince in 105 and 110. The 110 would be better suited to you. You will need a little lead to get to the specs you want for most OS. Thanks good because as you improve you can make your rackets heavier.

tennytive
08-11-2011, 07:05 AM
Back when I was reading about tennis elbow, someone posted a link to a page with all rackets rated as most arm friendly to least.

The POG Oversize was rated the most arm friendly racket, the least was one of the Wilson Hammers.

Sadly, I don't have that link, but I did find one that talks about when and why to look for a new racket.

http://www.epinions.com/content_4787642500

Point number 7 you may find of interest.

7. "I have tennis elbow so I need a snazzy new racquet with new technolgies to protect me!"

Oh man, Head has a new racquet with a computer chip in it or something to get rid of shock. Every company comes out with some new stuff for comfort: Babolat's Woofer and Cortex, Prince's Shock Eraser, Yonex's VCon, etc. But the bottom line is that tennis elbow is caused mostly by one of two things...

-Your racquet is too light and you're overexerting your arm.
-Your technique isn't correct.

If you want to get rid of TE, spend your money on some lessons with a certified pro who should be able to alert you to some bad habits you didn't even know you had. The most arm-friendly racquet is the good ole Prince Original Graphite. Not some new racquet with a computer in it.

Heavy racquets absorb more energy and thus reduce the impact on your TE. It's that simple.

Avadia
08-11-2011, 09:36 AM
The POG OS 107" you linked to is a great arm-friendly oversize racquet.

goran_ace
08-11-2011, 11:03 AM
I have experience with both the POG and Radical, but not the Pro Kennex. POG OS is arm-friendly and feels buttery soft, but I don't think the typical 3/3.5 player has the swingspeed to keep up with it. against players at the same level as you it might not make as much of a difference if you are a physically stronger player - but against those hardhitting 4/4.5's you will feel outgunned.

maybe add Volkl V1 O/S to your list. just under 11 oz, but just add a little lead. there's a powerbridge version now and also a classic version

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Volkl_V1_Classic_Midplus/descpageRCVOLKL-VCVN1.html

PandaKing
08-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Volkl Powerbridge 10 light version is heavenly. I'm using a hawaiian grip with no problems and nothing feeling bad. Great feel, clean, and a beautiful racket! Great feel also :P

whomad15
08-11-2011, 01:43 PM
Wouldn't suggest the Prince. If it is more of a 'player' racket - the 93 version is not easy on the arm. The 100 may be better, but I wouldn't expect too much.

What are you smoking, the POG OS is one of the arm friendliest racquets out there BECAUSE it is a players spec in an OS frame.

I started playing with a POG OS when I was 15 because I had arm pain. I still use it now 6 years later, and I'm hardly a professional.

There is a reason the POG has been around for so long, and outlasted its "modern" counterparts.

Steve Huff
08-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Avery rackets are flexible and OS. The K Blade Team is 104 sq in, and pretty flexible and arm friendly. I guess you have to decide what power level you want in a frame and try them out. I think the Radical line is a very versatile line, and one that you can vary the amount of power just by stringing at different tensions, yet still keep and acceptable amount of control.

Don't Let It Bounce
08-13-2011, 02:22 AM
Back when I was reading about tennis elbow, someone posted a link to a page with all rackets rated as most arm friendly to least.

The POG Oversize was rated the most arm friendly racket, the least was one of the Wilson Hammers.

Sadly, I don't have that link...www.racquetresearch.com

Timbo's hopeless slice
08-13-2011, 02:24 AM
I used to play with HEAD FXP OS Radicals, they were good on the arm and lovely frames to hit with..

Orion3
08-13-2011, 02:44 AM
Thought the OS was 110 not 100. Maybe I'm mistaken?

Mig1NC
08-13-2011, 03:02 AM
OS starts at 107, although some consider OS to start at 105.

Midplus is 95-102 or 95-106. Some people refer to 103-106 as super-midplus.

Orion3
08-13-2011, 03:36 AM
No worries

tennytive
08-13-2011, 06:33 AM
www.racquetresearch.com

Thanks for the link. :)