PDA

View Full Version : Flex Rating and Lead Tape

RyKnocks
08-11-2011, 08:51 AM
I have an MG Radical MP which has a stock flex rating of 57. I love the comfort of this racquet but I was looking for a little more stability and plow through. I added about 4g of lead tape total to 3 and 9 'o clock (2g on each side) and it helped a lot in places where I found the racquet lacking.

So my question is, does adding lead tape to stabilize the racquet effectively change it's flex rating? For instance, does adding lead tape to my MG Radical change the flex rating to something closer to 60?

pyrokid
08-11-2011, 09:03 AM
It changes the dynamic flex rating because the racquet is less influenced by the impact of the ball, but the comfort level shouldn't decrease because the shock from the ball is less.

Bartelby
08-11-2011, 09:15 AM
The flex is measured at the throat so the flex rating does not change but the feeling from the hoop does change - fewer vibrations, a kind of stiffer feel.

ollinger
08-11-2011, 09:50 AM
Synthesizing what is said above, the flex rating as measured on a static machine will not change, but in actual play the racquet will flex less because of the added mass.

TennisCJC
08-11-2011, 09:57 AM
It changes the dynamic flex rating because the racquet is less influenced by the impact of the ball, but the comfort level shouldn't decrease because the shock from the ball is less.

Good explanation. You feel more flex in the shaft but the overall effect is a more solid feel as the head doesn't twist or flex as much.

TennisCJC
08-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Synthesizing what is said above, the flex rating as measured on a static machine will not change, but in actual play the racquet will flex less because of the added mass.

I have lead at 12, 3 and 9 and some under the grip. I think I have overall a more solid feel but I do feel more (at least it feels like more) flex in the shaft.

TennisMaverick
08-11-2011, 11:11 AM
... does adding lead tape to stabilize the racquet effectively change it's flex rating? For instance, does adding lead tape to my MG Radical change the flex rating to something closer to 60?

Of course it does. And because of the extra mass in the head, you've actually increased the flex of the racquet at its softest point, so you've also changed the stick's inherent qualities.

Which is why these flex ratings mean squat when dealing with non-homogeneous material lay-ups, such as with BB/Volkl sticks. Focusing in on specs in those frames, means pssssing upwind and not getting wet.

RyKnocks
08-11-2011, 12:18 PM
So since I've added lead tape to my frame, does it mean the feel is comparable to a racquet with a higher flex rating, or does a lot of the feel come more from the material makeup of the racquet?

The reason why I ask is because when I'm ready to switch to another racquet, I want to know if I can look into racquets with flex ratings in the low 60's and not sacrifice much of the feel that I get with the MG Rad. I demoed the PDGT and it was way too stiff for my liking. I currently have a PSTGT waiting to be strung up and its flex rating is 64 (I'm wanting the extra spin and slight power boost). Will a leaded MG Rad feel like a PSTGT if it has enough lead?

tennis-kid
08-11-2011, 07:14 PM
In my experience, Flex rate and feeling of racquet doesn't exactly go together. It seems like it should but it doesn't. I demoed MG Radical MP to see if it has better feel than my Volkl X10 (295). I had to stop demoing MG Radical mp within 10 mins because my arm started to hurt. MG radical mp flex rate is 57 and Volkl X10 (295) is 64. I don't know what kind of string and tension MG radical mp had for my demo But it was very stiff racquet for me. You seem like looking for flexy and comfortable racquet. Look no further. Prokennex kinetic 7G or 5G, or Prince EXO3 tour are the best. I demoed most of arm friendly racquets TW members suggested.

RyKnocks
08-11-2011, 10:33 PM
So I was able to test out my MG Rad MP vs my Babolat Pure Storm Tour GT. Surprisingly, the rad had little to no vibration and the PSTGT had more feedback than the rad. Both strung up the same way as seen in my sig but the rad had lead at 10/2.

Maybe I shouldn't follow the advertised flex ratings and just demo from now on. Oddly enough, I like the stiff but plush feeling from the MG rad but I liked the speed and spin from the PSTGT. Is there a racquet out there that's a happy medium between the two?

TennisMaverick
08-11-2011, 10:38 PM
So I was able to test out my MG Rad MP vs my Babolat Pure Storm Tour GT. Surprisingly, the rad had little to no vibration and the PSTGT had more feedback than the rad. Both strung up the same way as seen in my sig but the rad had lead at 10/2.

Maybe I shouldn't follow the advertised flex ratings and just demo from now on. Oddly enough, I like the stiff but plush feeling from the MG rad but I liked the speed and spin from the PSTGT. Is there a racquet out there that's a happy medium between the two?

Yes, either Volkl X10s