TW Staff
08-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Video review now available:

http://bit.ly/qIA6bb

Jason, TW

BreakPoint
08-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Great review, guys!!

I concur with everything you guys said in the video about this SMU "re-issue" PS 6.0 85. :)

BTW, any update on when TW will be receiving more stock of these? :)

drakulie
08-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the review. When will they be back in stock?

VGP
08-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Thanks guys for the video review. I was really looking forward to that.

Great to hear your opinions.

Bud
08-11-2011, 10:36 AM
God, now I'm going to have to try this frame again .. kudos to TW's marketing department :):|

Been a few years since I've hit with it

- -

Anyone try full co-poly on this frame?

PandaKing
08-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Going to try a 30# poly bed once I buy this racket!!!!

Bud
08-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Going to try a 30# poly bed once I buy this racket!!!!

Pound or kg? :)

TW Staff
08-11-2011, 10:46 AM
We expect another shipment of these around 8/28.

Jason, TW

HiroProtagonist
08-11-2011, 10:51 AM
God, now I'm going to have to try this frame again .. kudos to TW's marketing department :):|

Been a few years since I've hit with it

- -

Anyone try full co-poly on this frame?

Ya I went with a full bed of SPPPP 17g and it feels great.

Awesome review guys, I loved when Troy said "I had some fears" :) but he looked like he dialed it in nicely. Definitely agree with you guys, the feel is ridiculous.

Thanks for the review, it was great to hear your guys thoughts and see you hit with the classic.

PandaKing
08-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Pounds :P rather not lose my arm in a battle. *cough* hope its closer to 100 now xD. Interesting how the 85 model is still being made :O

snoflewis
08-11-2011, 11:06 AM
do i really need to get a few of these sticks??
had an SV...kinda want some classics going forward lol.

jemsiter
08-11-2011, 11:59 AM
I actually like this version more than the SV / Chicago
Maybe it's because I always prefer flexible racquets

safinator
08-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Sincerely, I have only tried once a SV, but liked this one more, just like jemsiter, after a the PSLtd I really fell in love with flexible sticks!

Bud
08-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Where is the TW link to the PS 85? Did they remove it when they sold out?

I'm interested in the current versions specs.

- -

I found it

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_Pro_Staff_60_85_Racquets/descpageRCWILSON-W6085.html

So, this version is 10 pts HL strung?

BreakPoint
08-11-2011, 12:56 PM
I actually like this version more than the SV / Chicago
Maybe it's because I always prefer flexible racquets

Sincerely, I have only tried once a SV, but liked this one more, just like jemsiter, after a the PSLtd I really fell in love with flexible sticks!
Same here. I like this new version more as well because it's lighter, easier to swing, and not as stiff as the older versions. :)

BreakPoint
08-11-2011, 12:57 PM
So, this version is 10 pts HL strung?
Yup, it is. And a low swingweight of only 321, too. :)

vincent_tennis
08-11-2011, 11:08 PM
@TW

Will this racquet be constantly available?
as i've just spent quite a bit on 3 4D100s.....

Bud
08-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Yup, it is. And a low swingweight of only 321, too. :)

That's amazing for such a hefty frame :)

jemsiter
08-11-2011, 11:33 PM
I will stock up when it becomes available again since I plan on using this as my main stick for a long time.
Also who knows if there will be another run after this?
Some crazy people already selling this reissue for more than $400 on **** right now. Ridiculous.

Bud
08-11-2011, 11:39 PM
I will stock up when it becomes available again since I plan on using this as my main stick for a long time.
Some crazy people already selling this reissue for more than $400 on **** right now. Ridiculous.

Agreed!

- -

- -

TW, please limit the number to 4 per customer (as opposed to 6) on the next batch. Thanks ;)

movdqa
08-12-2011, 06:18 AM
That's the smoothest (in terms of stroke production) video review that I've seen. I understand that there's a lot of editing and that the shanks were edited out but the players were hitting the ball more comfortably than I can remember.

Granville had this pretty big grin talking to Spencer about the frame too.

VGP
08-12-2011, 06:29 AM
I commend these guys for continually putting themselves out there for people to actually see them use and critique the products.

jorel
08-12-2011, 06:56 AM
Agreed!

- -

- -

TW, please limit the number to 4 per customer (as opposed to 6) on the next batch. Thanks ;)
i say two.........

jorel
08-12-2011, 07:21 AM
and i know most wont want to hear this but raise the price to 179

jorel
08-12-2011, 09:37 AM
and order more 4 1/4 and 4 3/8 rather than 1/2and 5/8

jemsiter
08-12-2011, 11:02 AM
no. raising the price won't help. that would just make them sell for a higher price on e***

the only way to solve this is to have the PS 85 constantly available and for a reasonable price ($149 is good, $129 would be great!)

when supply >= demand, those who bought a bunch and hoping to make a huge profit would end up having 20+ PS 85 which they don't have the skills to play with

jemsiter
08-12-2011, 11:04 AM
and order more 4 1/4 and 4 3/8 rather than 1/2and 5/8

yes, please please please... more 4 1/4 this time
i will literally refresh the TW website on 8/28 and once it becomes available, i will order a few
i regret i only ordered one 4 1/4 in the first run... and then the 4 1/4 sold out in less than 24 hours

jorel
08-12-2011, 11:15 AM
no. raising the price won't help. that would just make them sell for a higher price on e***

the only way to solve this is to have the PS 85 constantly available and for a reasonable price ($149 is good, $129 would be great!)

when supply >= demand, those who bought a bunch and hoping to make a huge profit would end up having 20+ PS 85 which they don't have the skills to play with
TW is a business.. they are not the Peace Corp.

If they sell out at 149... they might sell out at 179
keep demand high and i think they could sell them for 200
sux for the consumer great for the business

same with the Bosworth vintage racqs...when they first started offering them a few years ago... u could buy one for a steal... now they are sold more at market value (people used to buy them cheap from TW and sell them online for 3x that)

Dave M
08-12-2011, 11:41 AM
TW is a business.. they are not the Peace Corp.

If they sell out at 149... they might sell out at 179
keep demand high and i think they could sell them for 200
sux for the consumer great for the business

same with the Bosworth vintage racqs...when they first started offering them a few years ago... u could buy one for a steal... now they are sold more at market value (people used to buy them cheap from TW and sell them online for 3x that)

/they might sell out at 179 but it's a SMU (i assume it will be again) and they don't want either of 2 things happening, A) they start at 200 nothing sells and they have to reduce it's price or B) they get stuck with a load of stock as the buy to resell people have already stocked up and those of us who want them to play may alreadty have em.
The now much sought after head pro tour was sold off on here for $59.99 now it'd be nice to go back in time and buy a few of those!:)

jorel
08-12-2011, 11:57 AM
/they might sell out at 179 but it's a SMU (i assume it will be again) and they don't want either of 2 things happening, A) they start at 200 nothing sells and they have to reduce it's price or B) they get stuck with a load of stock as the buy to resell people have already stocked up and those of us who want them to play may alreadty have em.
The now much sought after head pro tour was sold off on here for $59.99 now it'd be nice to go back in time and buy a few of those!:)
i wish i bought some too

but i highly doubt that the 6.0 would ever get down to 59.99

VGP
08-12-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm sure the price is set by Wilson and their authorized retailers. You're right that Wilson wouldn't want to set the price point too high and hurt sales, but TW (and other retailers) can't turn around and jack up the price and gouge the consumer.

I wonder what the perception of the PS85, from the market standpoint, would be if the price from authorized retailers exceeds that of say the BLX90?

jorel
08-12-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm sure the price is set by Wilson and their authorized retailers. You're right that Wilson wouldn't want to set the price point too high and hurt sales, but TW (and other retailers) can't turn around and jack up the price and gouge the consumer.

I wonder what the perception of the PS85, from the market standpoint, would be if the price from authorized retailers exceeds that of say the BLX90?
and out sold the BLX90

interesting

Bud
08-12-2011, 12:26 PM
i say two.........

Two would be even better! However, I can understand TW wanting to also move their stock as they make a nice profit on each racquet sold :)

Now that they understand how popular the frame is, perhaps they will limit it so others don't just buy them to resell for a tidy profit on fleabay.

- -

BTW, I thought other retailers were supposed to receive some of these frames as well. However, I can't find any other retailer selling them.

bluetrain4
08-12-2011, 12:29 PM
There's a clear demand for the frame. Don't make this a limited edition or other nonsense. I'd even buy one for fun and nostalgia, though I probably wouldn't play with it regularly.

Keep on selling it until demand runs thin. Why limit your profit potential?

coachrick
08-12-2011, 12:32 PM
so others don't just buy them to resell for a tidy profit on fleabay.

- -

OR some enterprising folks at TW could be the ones on the bay(IF the price were high enough! ;) ) Not that there's anything wrong with that... :)

VGP
08-12-2011, 12:34 PM
I don't think a two-frame limit would deter the "flippers."

2......3......6......they'll just make several orders masquerading as multiple buyers as they always have.

Plus that doesn't help players that really want to make the PS85 their playing frame and want to stock up solely for themselves. For them, six per customer is appropriate.

There's only so much you can do to police peoples' behavior.

VGP
08-12-2011, 12:35 PM
OR some enterprising folks at TW could be the ones on the bay(IF the price were high enough! ;) ) Not that there's anything wrong with that... :)

I'm sure a side-business like that would definitely be frowned upon.

Although that reminds me of the video of Spencer's covert-op breaking into the TW warehouse to get at the kPS88 prior to its release.

jorel
08-12-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm sure a side-business like that would definitely be frowned upon.

Although that reminds me of the video of Spencer's covert-op breaking into the TW warehouse to get at the kPS88 prior to its release.
i think he was making fun of us:)

Bud
08-12-2011, 12:50 PM
I see someone is trying to sell one for about $400 on evilbay

TenFanLA
08-12-2011, 01:06 PM
I guess there are enough tennis players suffering from delusions of self-grandeur to re-issue PS 85 6.0. Of course the fact that Fed and Sampras, 2 GOAT candidates, have moved on to 90 and 100 won't deter the TT players from leading up this frame to 14.8oz. Instead of buying PS 85, wait a few more years until they re-issue the Jack Kramer vintage wood racket with the wooden press instead of a racket cover.

Seriously speaking, I'd really like to see Wilson make PS 98 or 100 styled just like PS 85. Now that's something that people (including Fed) can realistically use and benefit from.

TW Staff
08-12-2011, 01:12 PM

I must correct you on this, as I am an innocent man! It was Chris who thieved the kPS88...he was the man behind the balaclava. I was slated for the role, but couldn't make weight. The character had to be svelte enough to get through the sliver opening of the container door;) I was relegated to one of the mindless henchmen that gets blasted with a tennis ball as Chris made his escape.

Spencer, TW.

HiroProtagonist
08-12-2011, 01:13 PM
I guess there are enough tennis players suffering from delusions of self-grandeur to re-issue PS 85 6.0. Of course the fact that Fed and Sampras, 2 GOAT candidates, have moved on to 90 and 100 won't deter the TT players from leading up this frame to 14.8oz. Instead of buying PS 85, wait a few more years until they re-issue the Jack Kramer vintage wood racket with the wooden press instead of a racket cover.

Seriously speaking, I'd really like to see Wilson make PS 98 or 100 styled just like PS 85. Now that's something that people (including Fed) can realistically use and benefit from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ4sEXiRP4k&feature=related

TenFanLA
08-12-2011, 01:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ4sEXiRP4k&feature=related

Yeah, geez, I never saw THAT post before.

HiroProtagonist
08-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Yeah, geez, I never saw THAT post before.

Ya I know, bout as repetitive as the "PS85 is unplayable, no one can play the modern game with anything under 98sqin, blah, blah, blah, etc., etc., etc." posts eh?

jemsiter
08-12-2011, 01:34 PM

I don't know why people keeps on saying bigger headsize = better
I played with Prince Ozone tour and EXO3 tour (100 sq inch) for a very long period of time before I've decided to switch to the PS 85 recently. I don't notice THAT big a difference. I think someone on the forum posted a pic comparing 85 and 100 headsize. If you shank a ball on 85 you're gonna shank on a 100.
I'm not a pro nor a competitive player, but I feel good playing with the PS 85. My tennis buddies all agree I play better with the PS 85 than my previous 100 sq inch EXO3 tour

stevewcosta
08-12-2011, 01:36 PM

Although I love the 6.0 85, I am too old, slow and blind to reep the full benefit of this frame. I would love a 95 closer to the 85 specs (20MM is too thick in my book - 18 would be perfect...keep low swingweight and no more than mid-12, maybe even 12 - 12.5). Would be awesome.

TenFanLA
08-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Ya I know, bout as repetitive as the "PS85 is unplayable, no one can play the modern game with anything under 98sqin, blah, blah, blah, etc., etc., etc." posts eh?

Not necessarily. Just because Sampras and Fed can't play at their top level with PS 85 doesn't mean one of the top TTers (like you) can't. I mean, those 2 aren't even semipros on TT. I suppose when they reissue Commodore 64, you will put down the iPad, Dell, etc.

TenFanLA
08-12-2011, 01:43 PM
I played with Prince Ozone tour and EXO3 tour (100 sq inch) for a very long period of time before I've decided to switch to the PS 85 recently. I don't notice THAT big a difference. I think someone on the forum posted a pic comparing 85 and 100 headsize. If you shank a ball on 85 you're gonna shank on a 100.
I'm not a pro nor a competitive player, but I feel good playing with the PS 85. My tennis buddies all agree I play better with the PS 85 than my previous 100 sq inch EXO3 tour

I don't doubt that you may play better with PS 85 than EXO Tour. I suspect that EXO is not a good fit for you. I do, however, believe that you would play better with a PS 95 or 100 6.0 style than PS 85, esp. when the hitting pace and spin pick up.

floydcouncil
08-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Dinosaurs ..................

These frames really can't compete in today's groundie game.

Wake up folks...

TenFanLA
08-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Although I love the 6.0 85, I am too old, slow and blind to reep the full benefit of this frame. I would love a 95 closer to the 85 specs (20MM is too thick in my book - 18 would be perfect...keep low swingweight and no more than mid-12, maybe even 12 - 12.5). Would be awesome.

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying. PS 85 6.0 will go down in history as one of, if not the, GOAT frames that revolutionized the sport. So why not use that layout, sprinkle in some new technology and "re-issue" a 95, 98 or 100 version? That would be something.

mad dog1
08-12-2011, 01:52 PM
I don't doubt that you may play better with PS 85 than EXO Tour. I suspect that EXO is not a good fit for you. I do, however, believe that you would play better with a PS 95 or 100 6.0 style than PS 85, esp. when the hitting pace and spin pick up.

i agree. i think this applies to the majority of the recreational players including me. while i really enjoy hitting w/ my 85 sq in sting, when the heat gets turned up, i find it infinitely easier to keep up w/ a 95 or 100.

mad dog1
08-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Although I love the 6.0 85, I am too old, slow and blind to reep the full benefit of this frame. I would love a 95 closer to the 85 specs (20MM is too thick in my book - 18 would be perfect...keep low swingweight and no more than mid-12, maybe even 12 - 12.5). Would be awesome.yay!!! i'm not alone.

misery loves company! :D

Bud
08-12-2011, 02:04 PM
That's EXACTLY what I'm saying. PS 85 6.0 will go down in history as one of, if not the, GOAT frames that revolutionized the sport. So why not use that layout, sprinkle in some new technology and "re-issue" a 95, 98 or 100 version? That would be something.

I completely agree. They made a 110 and 125 sq. in. PS 6.0.. why not a modern 98 or 100? The 110/125 are a bit too large for my taste and beside that it's too difficult to obtain them now.

stevewcosta
08-12-2011, 02:05 PM
yay!!! i'm not alone.

misery loves company! :D

Been searching for such a frame for 25 years. Tried the Donnays (and every other frame with potential)...awful compared to the great box beams of old...I probably will continue to rack up loses with the 6.0 (and enjoy the occasional *****whooping of my peers when I have that spring in my step when not exhausted and thinking about awful work or some other nonsense distraction that is slowly killing me). When you're on, there's no better frame. I'm on about 20% of the time. Did I say old? Sucks.

mad dog1
08-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Been searching for such a frame for 25 years. Tried the Donnays (and every other frame with potential)...awful compared to the great box beams of old...I probably will continue to rack up loses with the 6.0 (and enjoy the occasional *****whooping of my peers when I have that spring in my step when not exhausted and thinking about awful work or some other nonsense distraction that is slowly killing me). When you're on, there's no better frame. I'm on about 20% of the time. Did I say old? Sucks.
i'm totally with you!

have you tried the Vantage frames? of all the modern racquets, i really like the Vantage BC20 and the Bab PSTGT (it's the only version of the PST line i've tried so far).

Tennis Man
08-12-2011, 02:19 PM
It's a great review format. The racquet was very objectively covered, all true and nothing but true. I just wish that Wilson re-opened the plant in St Vincent. :)

stevewcosta
08-12-2011, 02:25 PM
i'm totally with you!

have you tried the Vantage frames? of all the modern racquets, i really like the Vantage BC20 and the Bab PSTGT (it's the only version of the PST line i've tried so far).

Yeah man. I think I can buy a Honda Accord in cash with all that damn money I've spent on racquets over the past 25 yrs. Ridiculous. I own 2 Vantage 90s, 63 RA, 330 gram, 12 pts HL, 16 x 19 (or was it 18?). I serve great with them, but find them too powerful and can't dial-in the OHBH for some reason. AND, they simply lack the 6.0 feel. I should sell the Vantages.

BreakPoint
08-12-2011, 02:30 PM

When Sampras and Federer used the PS 6.0 85, the great majority of the opponents they beat (and that was a lot of them) used bigger racquets. So what's different between then and now? If 10 years ago, a guy using an 85 can beat guys using a 93 or 95 or 98 or 107, why can't they do it today?

VGP
08-12-2011, 02:57 PM
I must correct you on this, as I am an innocent man! It was Chris who thieved the kPS88...he was the man behind the balaclava. I was slated for the role, but couldn't make weight. The character had to be svelte enough to get through the sliver opening of the container door;) I was relegated to one of the mindless henchmen that gets blasted with a tennis ball as Chris made his escape.

Spencer, TW.

Sorry Spencer. I was going off my fallible memory.

I guess they needed someone lithe and spidery looking. They needed you to be hustle with the muscle.....to look tough in shades as he's getting pelted by the balls felted.

mad dog1
08-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Yeah man. I think I can buy a Honda Accord in cash with all that damn money I've spent on racquets over the past 25 yrs. Ridiculous. I own 2 Vantage 90s, 63 RA, 330 gram, 12 pts HL, 16 x 19 (or was it 18?). I serve great with them, but find them too powerful and can't dial-in the OHBH for some reason. AND, they simply lack the 6.0 feel. I should sell the Vantages.

i have a vantage 95 70 RA 16 x 19 and like you, i have a hard time dialing in the OHBH as well. i find that my BC20 have less power. you might consider trying one of those. :)

i wasn't fond of the 6.0 when i tried it in back in the day in the 80s. i want to try it again since i've found that i now like alot of the racquets I disliked back then. unfortunately they're too pricey now so i haven't been able to experience the sublime feel. :)

BreakPoint
08-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Not necessarily. Just because Sampras and Fed can't play at their top level with PS 85 doesn't mean one of the top TTers (like you) can't. I mean, those 2 aren't even semipros on TT. I suppose when they reissue Commodore 64, you will put down the iPad, Dell, etc.
Do you know of any TT's here that have to play against the likes of Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray on a weekly basis? :???:

BTW, what do computers have anything at all to do with tennis racquets??? Don't you still wipe your butt with pretty much the same toilet paper as a decade ago? Does that make it obsolete?

zapvor
08-12-2011, 04:14 PM
yea i agree most players on here cant benefit that much from this stick. they just want to use it because its like a classic.

2ndServe
08-12-2011, 04:21 PM
hey guys you don't get all the benefits of the 85 when going to the 95. It's not like the same racket but more forgiving, if that's the case everyone would play the 95. The sweetspot, mass transfer, stability and serving are different from the two. The volleys too. I've played with both and the serving, stability are very different imo.

UCSF2012
08-12-2011, 04:22 PM
When Sampras and Federer used the PS 6.0 85, the great majority of the opponents they beat (and that was a lot of them) used bigger racquets. So what's different between then and now? If 10 years ago, a guy using an 85 can beat guys using a 93 or 95 or 98 or 107, why can't they do it today?

Because neither Sampras nor Federer are in their 20's. Both realized a long time ago that they had to dump the PS85.

It's hard as hell to return serves in the 100's with the PS85. Volleying, forehands, backhands, and overheads were easy because there were ample time to react. But man, return of serves were a biotch.

stevewcosta
08-12-2011, 04:55 PM
yea i agree most players on here cant benefit that much from this stick. they just want to use it because its like a classic.

No, they want to use it because it's a great racquet with perfect feel, control, weight, balance, maneuverabilty...absolutely hammers serves. If I could return well (worst part of my game) with it, I would never deviate from this racquet. It's just too small for me, but I'm going to use it until something better comes along (by then I'll have to give up tennis anyway as I'll be dead).

movdqa
08-12-2011, 05:11 PM
> I must correct you on this, as I am an innocent man! It was Chris who
> thieved the kPS88...he was the man behind the balaclava. I was slated
> for the role, but couldn't make weight. The character had to be svelte
> enough to get through the sliver opening of the container door I was
> relegated to one of the mindless henchmen that gets blasted with a
> tennis ball as Chris made his escape.

I loved that skit.

I've moved from 88/90 to 95/98 and am experimenting around with setups. I think that Wilson would do to offer a line of sizes for Fed or their other players like the K-Blade line.

paulcd77
08-12-2011, 05:52 PM
hey guys you don't get all the benefits of the 85 when going to the 95. It's not like the same racket but more forgiving, if that's the case everyone would play the 95. The sweetspot, mass transfer, stability and serving are different from the two. The volleys too. I've played with both and the serving, stability are very different imo.

this is the reason why i'll be picking up one (at least) when the next shipment comes in. when i compared it to my 95s, the re-issue (despite being "softer" than the original version) was so much more solid, there was really no comparison at all.

It's hard as hell to return serves in the 100's with the PS85. Volleying, forehands, backhands, and overheads were easy because there were ample time to react. But man, return of serves were a biotch.

the new model is much easier to swing. i can't see how service returns would be a problem.

stevewcosta
08-12-2011, 05:57 PM
this is the reason why i'll be picking up one (at least) when the next shipment comes in. when i compared it to my 95s, the re-issue (despite being "softer" than the original version) was so much more solid, there was really no comparison at all.

the new model is much easier to swing. i can't see how service returns would be a problem.

Not if you received 12.9 ounce new models like I did. No way they were 320s. My 3 other Chinas felt very light in comparison. My 2 BLX 85s felt like KPS88 which I hate.

zapvor
08-12-2011, 05:58 PM
No, they want to use it because it's a great racquet with perfect feel, control, weight, balance, maneuverabilty...absolutely hammers serves. If I could return well (worst part of my game) with it, I would never deviate from this racquet. It's just too small for me, but I'm going to use it until something better comes along (by then I'll have to give up tennis anyway as I'll be dead).

lol nah 80% of this board isnt at a 4.5 level to use this demanding stick. why dont you post a vid of you hitting with this and crushing forehands huh??

paulcd77
08-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Not if you received 12.9 ounce new models like I did. No way they were 320s. My 3 other Chinas felt very light in comparison. My 2 BLX 85s felt like KPS88 which I hate.

really? yours were that far off? i've come to expect variances (especially from wilson), but that's a little disconcerting.

zapvor
08-12-2011, 06:03 PM
theres a whole thread on how bad wilson quality is

Pro_Tour_630
08-12-2011, 06:12 PM

how about SMU of PS 95:)

hope no balsa dust has been laying around in the air when molding the PS 85

stevewcosta
08-12-2011, 07:17 PM
lol nah 80% of this board isnt at a 4.5 level to use this demanding stick. why dont you post a vid of you hitting with this and crushing forehands huh??

You sound brilliant. I don't care what 14 yr. olds do or what my level is. Hope you're making tons of cash playing tennis. I make it elsewhere.

stevewcosta
08-12-2011, 07:19 PM
really? yours were that far off? i've come to expect variances (especially from wilson), but that's a little disconcerting.

Unfortunately. My luck. They feel more like 330 SW, a bit beyond what I like.

stevewcosta
08-12-2011, 07:22 PM
how about SMU of PS 95:)

hope no balsa dust has been laying around in the air when molding the PS 85

That would be pretty good. I would like a bit thinner, but I would buy a bunch of the 6.0 95s...still better than 99% of the racquets out there.

drakulie
08-12-2011, 07:23 PM
We expect another shipment of these around 8/28.

Jason, TW

thanks! much appreciated.

will tw be taking pre-orders??

edman9898
08-12-2011, 07:25 PM
That would be pretty good. I would like a bit thinner, but I would buy a bunch of the 6.0 95s...still better than 99% of the racquets out there.

+11111111111111111111111111

BreakPoint
08-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Because neither Sampras nor Federer are in their 20's. Both realized a long time ago that they had to dump the PS85.

Really? Sampras won the US Open with his PS 6.0 85 when he was 31 years old. Krickstein is in his 40's and he's still using the PS 6.0 85 on the senior's tour against guys that were the top players in the world. Nobody on this board in their 40's is competing against the current top 100 pros who are in their 20's. We're competing against mostly other guys that are also in their 40's.

Ivanisevic, Philippoussis, Becker, etc. had just as big or bigger serves than most of the guys on the ATP Tour today and Sampras certainly didn't have all that much trouble returning their serves with his PS 6.0 85. Heck, Roddick had (and probably still has) the biggest serve in pro tennis and Sampras still schooled him in straight sets at the '02 US Open with his PS 6.0 85 at the age of 31. :shock:

VGP
08-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Really? Krickstein is in his 40's and he's still using the PS 6.0 85 on the senior's tour against guys that were the top players in the world.

I recently saw a feature on ATP Tour Uncovered on the senior tour and Krickstein was using the BLX90......but it seems that at Del Ray Beach this year, like Courier, he's donning the Donnay.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5220/5461679821_19fe11951e_b.jpg

paulcd77
08-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Heck, Roddick had (and probably still has) the biggest serve in pro tennis and Sampras still schooled him in straight sets at the '02 US Open with his PS 6.0 85 at the age of 31. :shock:

i have a hunch federer probably could've hit this shot just as easily with the 85:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxzFlrFfUrg

TenFanLA
08-12-2011, 08:18 PM
Breakpoint, most of your arguments are highly flawed (and your post about Krickstein is dead wrong.) So I would bet that you are not an attorney or if you are, you work for the government. But I hope that everyone I play takes your advice and plays with PS 85. I know that I would go from 4.5 to 5.5 in a hurry.

VGP
08-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Ah......sensing the demise of yet another PS85 thread.

Can't we just agree that for most people, this frame is for fun and nostalgia? Or to give a new generation an appreciation and a reference point for a classic frame?

If you win, good. If you lose, fine. Either way, as long as you had fun doing so.

If it so happens that an extremely talented junior might pick up this frame and kick some tail maybe a true classic will not just live on in the memories of us enthusiasts rooted in the 80s and 90s......

drakulie
08-12-2011, 08:46 PM
But I hope that everyone I play takes your advice and plays with PS 85. I know that I would go from 4.5 to 5.5 in a hurry.

No you wouldn't.

BreakPoint
08-12-2011, 09:00 PM
I think the PS 6.0 85 is a better racquet than the BLX90 and also has better feel. So all of that "technology" they've developed over the past 30 years have done nothing but make the racquets worse. :(

zapvor
08-12-2011, 09:05 PM
You sound brilliant. I don't care what 14 yr. olds do or what my level is. Hope you're making tons of cash playing tennis. I make it elsewhere.

lol your complete lack of referece to my post and your random shift of subject proves me right. thanks for trying though!

sargeinaz
08-12-2011, 09:19 PM
the fact is this is a really demanding stick and most of us on here only snatch them up and play with them in the illusion that we can play well with this legend of a stick when in fact its detrimental. (like stevewcoasta thinking its gotta better feel and he will stick with it anwyays but it's too small for him lol )

It is really demanding, but were here to play for fun. Not once when I play with my friends or cousins or anyone do I think "man if I was using my fischer pro 1 98 I would have won that match/point"

zapvor
08-12-2011, 09:30 PM
you are probably better then me. i hit with it once and except for at net that racket was killing my game. i was definitely thinking 'ok this rackets sucks' lol

BreakPoint
08-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Breakpoint, most of your arguments are highly flawed (and your post about Krickstein is dead wrong.) So I would bet that you are not an attorney or if you are, you work for the government. But I hope that everyone I play takes your advice and plays with PS 85. I know that I would go from 4.5 to 5.5 in a hurry.
Oh, really?

From Sept. 2009:

http://www.tennisgrandstand.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/krickstein1.jpg

http://www.tennisgrandstand.com/archives/5177

BTW, there are plenty of 5.0 to 5.5 players still using the PS 6.0 85 that would smoke you, so if you played against them you'd probably drop from a 4.5 down to a 3.5. :oops:

Oh, and put a PS 6.0 85 in the hands of Sampras or Edberg, and even in their "old" age would still beat 100% of the players in the world that are not pros (or ex-pros). :shock:

TenFanLA
08-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Dude, that pic is from 2 years ago whereas the one from Delray (using Donnay) is from earlier this year. Yeah 2 years ago he used PS 85 but now he's using Donnay MP (looks 98ish.) That further proves my point.

It's not a matter of whether someone with PS 85 can beat someone or not. Heck I'm quite confident that McEnroe would triple bagel me with his early 80's Dunlop Maxfli. But what I'm saying is that if you take peak McEnroe, current racket Mac > 200G Mac > Maxfli Mac. Tennis is hard enough. Why handicap yourself by using a headsize that even the elite pros don't use anymore?

4.5 to 5.5 is an exaggeration. But there are some 5.0 I'm pretty confident I could beat if they played with PS 85. I would topspin to their 1HBH all day and Nadal them to death by the 3rd set.

maxpotapov
08-12-2011, 10:09 PM
I would topspin to their 1HBH all day and Nadal them to death by the 3rd set.

My favorite strategy :)
Still I want to try Nadal-like technique on PS85. Spin window is small, but higher racquet head speed will probably compensate for that...

Bud
08-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Why do these PS85 threads always devolve into a b1tchfight?

Who cares what somebody else wants to use or try?

TenFanLA
08-12-2011, 10:17 PM

Hahahaha. You are right. Personally it is much too tough for me but hey, if someone can play his best tennis with PS 85, more power to him. I'll still hold out for PS 98.

drakulie
08-12-2011, 10:32 PM
what I'm saying is that if you take peak McEnroe, current racket Mac > 200G Mac > Maxfli Mac.

NO...............

BreakPoint
08-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Dude, that pic is from 2 years ago whereas the one from Delray (using Donnay) is from earlier this year. Yeah 2 years ago he used PS 85 but now he's using Donnay MP (looks 98ish.) That further proves my point.
Um....was not Krickstein in his 40's two years ago playing on the senior's tour against guys that were the top players in the world with a PS 6.0 85? Just as I stated?

It's not a matter of whether someone with PS 85 can beat someone or not. Heck I'm quite confident that McEnroe would triple bagel me with his early 80's Dunlop Maxfli. But what I'm saying is that if you take peak McEnroe, current racket Mac > 200G Mac > Maxfli Mac. Tennis is hard enough. Why handicap yourself by using a headsize that even the elite pros don't use anymore?
Then why are you "handicapping yourself" with only a 100 sq. in. racquet when you could be using a 135 sq. in. Big Bubba and make tennis even easier? :confused:

You sound like you may have an inferiority complex that you have to use a huge 100 sq. in. racquet because you're unable to handle a 85 sq. in. racquet? Sort of like penis size envy in reverse? Are you ashamed that yours is bigger than mine? :oops: :)

4.5 to 5.5 is an exaggeration. But there are some 5.0 I'm pretty confident I could beat if they played with PS 85. I would topspin to their 1HBH all day and Nadal them to death by the 3rd set.
Um...they would be at the net putting your high looping shots away for winners all day long and serve and volley you to death just like Dodig did to Nadal this week. :oops:

BreakPoint
08-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Hahahaha. You are right. Personally it is much too tough for me but hey, if someone can play his best tennis with PS 85, more power to him. I'll still hold out for PS 98.
Agree that you have to be a pretty good player to use the PS 6.0 85. Not everyone is good enough to handle it.

stevewcosta
08-13-2011, 02:56 AM

Because so many people are really stupid and don't get it. I play about 2 - 3 days per month and enjoy tennis for the fun sport that it is. I win and lose sometimes with the 6.0, but it's much more fun than any other raquet.

aimr75
08-13-2011, 03:09 AM
Because so many people are really stupid and don't get it. I play about 2 - 3 days per month and enjoy tennis for the fun sport that it is. I win and lose sometimes with the 6.0, but it's much more fun than any other raquet.

yeah, a bit of perspective.. we arent earning a living playing tennis. :roll:

just get out, play and have some fun

Torres
08-13-2011, 03:15 AM
85sq" heads are a musuem piece. Great for nostalgia and bunting around in the park, but not for competition. Swinging with one of these would be like driving in one of those vintage car rallies.

Great racquet 'back in the day', but the introduction of poly has been the greatest game changer since the introduction of graphite, and with all the spin and action that poly produces in the modern game, a 85sq" head is an irrelevance unless you putting yourself at a disadvantage or your ego so its big that it blinds you to reality *cough* Breakpoint *cough*. The game has moved on since this racquet was first introduced.

Bud
08-13-2011, 03:23 AM
85sq" heads are a musuem piece. Great for nostalgia and bunting around in the park, but not for competition. Swinging with one of these would be like driving in one of those vintage car rallies.

Great racquet 'back in the day', but the introduction of poly has been the greatest game changer since the introduction of graphite, and with all the spin and action that poly produces in the modern game, a 85sq" head is an irrelevance unless you putting yourself at a disadvantage or your ego so its big that it blinds you to reality *cough* Breakpoint *cough*. The game has moved on since this racquet was first introduced.

Many higher level players still use this frame, BTW ;)

stevewcosta
08-13-2011, 03:31 AM
lol your complete lack of referece to my post and your random shift of subject proves me right. thanks for trying though!

Let me try to explain it to you:

Serves: #1 with the 6.0
OHBH: One of the best; could use more room for slice hit high (due to lazy footwork), but topspin great
Volleys: great
Touch/Drop shots/feel: #1
Return of serve: big challenge because I'm older, slower, can't see as well (stabbing @ hard serves with a 110 sure may help...)
Weight/balance etc: If you can't handle it, you should be playing darts instead (and I'm a 41 yr old with multiple injuries that would make most people quit the game)

As VGP and others have stated, it's for fun and the enjoyment of the sport. I sure would have to waste alot of my time going into every "I love this racquet" thread to slam people's opinions and skill level because they choose a certain racquet. I wouldn't have enough time in my day to criticize every racquet that is too thick, too muted, too hollow, too sucky. And, I hit harder with the 6.0 than 90% of the people at my level playing with 100's - 4.0 - 4.5 for full disclosure who can hit with any 4.5 and look as good (not match tough at all due to infrequent play, age, injuries). But, I still would put $5,000 on the line and challenge you to a weight lifting contest, or maybe $100K. Let's do it. We can post a vid and share with our TW'ers. Now that would be fun and a "LOL" moment! Basketball was my sport and I'm a late tennis adopter (started at 17, never took a lesson, played only a few months per year, took 10 yrs off after college). If I took it seriously from a young age, 5.0 most likely. I have owned more racquets than I care to admit, but as an example - own the Donnay Gold 99 - zero feel, just don't play as well as the 6.0. Can you explain that since it's a 99 and the 6.0 an 85? Also own the POG 110 - terrible balance (new version lacks quality feel) and swings like a large airplane wing, but I sure can stab at those big serves and get a few more balls over the net - who cares - hated playing with it...

Winners or Errors
08-13-2011, 04:28 AM

But... what if you're old, don't want to string every 2 days, and poly rips your arm off? What benefit is a larger racquet then, when the trampolining feel of going from an 85 or 90 to a "modern size" makes it hard to use any string but poly to tame the power.

I'm about at the end of my rope with modern frames and poly. My arm is not liking it after three years back in tennis. I am looking for alternatives. That re-issued 85 is looking pretty good.

Winning now vs. playing for a life-time. Hmmm.... Damage to your joints is just so hard to fix.

hrstrat57
08-13-2011, 06:17 AM
Good thread and unlike others I find the subsequent cat fight a pretty interesting read.

I bagged the PS 85 (and the 200G and POG mid at times in the past) and it is a fantastic frame. I first bagged it in fact when it was considered a "big" head size back on the way back time machine.

As I have stated a few times here on the racquet forum, a well struck groundstoke with good technique and pace with a St. Vincent is the premier sensation in tennis. That is why mine comes out occasionally for a spin because that feeling is intoxicating. However, when the points start to count it has to get put away for me.....and the Head 98 Mp's come out......she is fun to dance with but the marriage is long over.

I think it is fantastic that TW is offering a reissue frame here so others can perhaps feel that perfectly struck sensation.....but I won't be buying any more PS 85's.... I feel pretty strongly tho that all players with fast swing speeds and decent technique should buy a PS 85 and give it a whirl if they can. This chance may not come around again and I promise it will make the good player smile.

The Head MP 98si frames I have feel nearly as good and produce much better tennis when it matters so I won't be buying any and depleting the inventory.

Go get one......and,

Have fun out there!!!

Kudos to Spencer for the great video and his honest assessment of what the PS 85 is all about.....well played!

cnr1guy
08-13-2011, 06:28 AM

Who cares if people are re-selling them. If people are dumb enough to pay that much for them then more power to the seller for capitalizing on other peoples ignorance! Can't hate on someone for making some extra $$$ in this economy ;)

paulcd77
08-13-2011, 07:27 AM
Agree that you have to be a pretty good player to use the PS 6.0 85. Not everyone is good enough to handle it.

i think this is, in part, why the re-issue generated so much interest. not just from a nostalgic/fanboy perspective, but those who couldn't "handle" the other versions (either entirely or for prolonged periods) found the new one much more appealing. though it still requires a significant amount of effort, it's less demanding while retaining the 85's signature characteristics.

I think the PS 6.0 85 is a better racquet than the BLX90 and also has better feel. So all of that "technology" they've developed over the past 30 years have done nothing but make the racquets worse. :(

i agree. i've hit with virtually every "modern" racquet in the known universe, and the 6.0 85/95 kevlar-graphite composition is unmatched. the only sticks that have come even remotely close are a few head frames, but none of them had the total, balanced combination of the pro staff's power, feel, spin, and control.

BreakPoint
08-13-2011, 11:09 AM

You'd have to be able to get your racquet on the return of serve before you can spin it. The PS 6.0 85 is an ace machine.

Oh, and keep using those poly strings because it's destroying your arm with every hit. It's like smoking cigarettes and eating bacon everyday. Eventually, your body will pay for it.

HiroProtagonist
08-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Good thread and unlike others I find the subsequent cat fight a pretty interesting read.

I bagged the PS 85 (and the 200G and POG mid at times in the past) and it is a fantastic frame. I first bagged it in fact when it was considered a "big" head size back on the way back time machine.

As I have stated a few times here on the racquet forum, a well struck groundstoke with good technique and pace with a St. Vincent is the premier sensation in tennis. That is why mine comes out occasionally for a spin because that feeling is intoxicating. However, when the points start to count it has to get put away for me.....and the Head 95 Mp's come out......she is fun to dance with but the marriage is long over.

I think it is fantastic that TW is offering a reissue frame here so others can perhaps feel that perfectly struck sensation.....but I won't be buying any more PS 85's.... I feel pretty strongly tho that all players with fast swing speeds and decent technique should buy a PS 85 and give it a whirl if they can. This chance may not come around again and I promise it will make the good player smile.

The Head MP 95si frames I have feel nearly as good and produce much better tennis when it matters so I won't be buying any and depleting the inventory.

Go get one......and,

Have fun out there!!!

Kudos to Spencer for the great video and his honest assessment of what the PS 85 is all about.....well played!

I agree that a 95 head size:wink: is the perfect combination for all out competition, enough forgiveness, power to control ratio, and it doesn't feel as bulky or awkward as an OS, which pretty much anything over 95 tends to unless it has a clever beam design to account for it.

Shangri La
08-13-2011, 11:44 AM

Why dont you ask that question to Fed/Sampras?

Do you know of any TT's here that have to play against the likes of Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray on a weekly basis? :???:

It doesnt matter. A 3.5 playing against another 3.5 is every bit of a tough fight for them as Fed playing against Djokovic. The question is, can one play their best against *their peers* with an 85?

You know the answer from Fed/Sampras already.

morten
08-13-2011, 12:44 PM
The use of the ps85 really depends on style as much as level, i use it competing at 5.0 level, BUT i hit flat, lots of volleys, AND i string really loose with multis(44lbs on average) so that really opens the sweetspot. Long smooth swings, one handed bhand lots of slice. For me i don`t win anything going bigger(and believe me i have tried, closest i got was leaded 4d100 leaded, but still too unstable/never got things right) i tried pb10 mid, rebel, ps ltd gt... head pres mid, Donnays...all of them... Anyway, i love this racket, and would definitely try a true ps90 6.0 original if Wilson ever introduced one(i wonder why they never did btw, and think wilson as a company has gone downhill the last 10 years, i do not like any Wilson racket except for the ps85 FYI...)

BreakPoint
08-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Why dont you ask that question to Fed/Sampras?

Have you seen videos of Federer playing when he used the PS 6.0 85? He was better than he is now. I'm convinced Federer would have had just as good of a career (or maybe even better?) if he never switched away from the PS 6.0 85. He had the same great forehand, backhand, and serve with the PS 6.0 85 but he volleyed better with the PS 6.0 85 than he does now with the Tour 90.

It doesnt matter. A 3.5 playing against another 3.5 is every bit of a tough fight for them as Fed playing against Djokovic. The question is, can one play their best against *their peers* with an 85?

You know the answer from Fed/Sampras already.
Is that why there are still many 5.0 and better players still using the PS 6.0 85 and beating their 5.0 and better peers with it? Most 3.5's aren't good enough to handle the PS 6.0 85. It's an advanced racquet for advanced players.

I'd bet Sampas using the PS 6.0 85 will beat any 40 year-old in the world (which are his peers).

zapvor
08-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Let me try to explain it to you:

Serves: #1 with the 6.0
OHBH: One of the best; could use more room for slice hit high (due to lazy footwork), but topspin great
Volleys: great
Touch/Drop shots/feel: #1
Return of serve: big challenge because I'm older, slower, can't see as well (stabbing @ hard serves with a 110 sure may help...)
Weight/balance etc: If you can't handle it, you should be playing darts instead (and I'm a 41 yr old with multiple injuries that would make most people quit the game)

As VGP and others have stated, it's for fun and the enjoyment of the sport. I sure would have to waste alot of my time going into every "I love this racquet" thread to slam people's opinions and skill level because they choose a certain racquet. I wouldn't have enough time in my day to criticize every racquet that is too thick, too muted, too hollow, too sucky. And, I hit harder with the 6.0 than 90% of the people at my level playing with 100's - 4.0 - 4.5 for full disclosure who can hit with any 4.5 and look as good (not match tough at all due to infrequent play, age, injuries). But, I still would put $5,000 on the line and challenge you to a weight lifting contest, or maybe $100K. Let's do it. We can post a vid and share with our TW'ers. Now that would be fun and a "LOL" moment! Basketball was my sport and I'm a late tennis adopter (started at 17, never took a lesson, played only a few months per year, took 10 yrs off after college). If I took it seriously from a young age, 5.0 most likely. I have owned more racquets than I care to admit, but as an example - own the Donnay Gold 99 - zero feel, just don't play as well as the 6.0. Can you explain that since it's a 99 and the 6.0 an 85? Also own the POG 110 - terrible balance (new version lacks quality feel) and swings like a large airplane wing, but I sure can stab at those big serves and get a few more balls over the net - who cares - hated playing with it...

lol you dont get it man. the racket is very demanding and despite what you think about how it suits your game and blah blah blah it doesnt. just like the majority on here you are stuck in that belief because it's a legend classic of a racket and you want to feel like you are part of that club. even though you would be much better with a less demanding stick. so thats why i propose seeing guys like you post a vid of you hitting with it. it would be a great laugh.

oh and basketball is my first sport too. and i started tennis later than you.

Keifers
08-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Ah......sensing the demise of yet another PS85 thread.

Can't we just agree that for most people, this frame is for fun and nostalgia? Or to give a new generation an appreciation and a reference point for a classic frame?

If you win, good. If you lose, fine. Either way, as long as you had fun doing so.

If it so happens that an extremely talented junior might pick up this frame and kick some tail maybe a true classic will not just live on in the memories of us enthusiasts rooted in the 80s and 90s......
Yes, this back and forth between disdainful critics of the PS85 (and people who buy them) and argumentative defenders of same is really tiresome.

I agree: for most people, this frame is for fun and nostalgia -- great fun and a particularly delicious nostalgia. And TW has done a new generation a great favor by giving them an opportunity to find out what all the fuss was/is about.

morten
08-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Have you seen videos of Federer playing when he used the PS 6.0 85? He was better than he is now. I'm convinced Federer would have had just as good of a career (or maybe even better?) if he never switched away from the PS 6.0 85. He had the same great forehand, backhand, and serve with the PS 6.0 85 but he volleyed better with the PS 6.0 85 than he does now with the Tour 90.

Is that why there are still many 5.0 and better players still using the PS 6.0 85 and beating their 5.0 and better peers with it? Most 3.5's aren't good enough to handle the PS 6.0 85. It's an advanced racquet for advanced players.

I'd bet Sampas using the PS 6.0 85 will beat any 40 year-old in the world (which are his peers).

+1 .........

Torres
08-13-2011, 03:13 PM

Er, you seem to have conveniently overlooked the fact that the man himself chooses to to use a 98sq" Pure Storm Tour strung with poly over a PS 85, and has actually said in interview, that the reason for that is the headsize is too small, that its too unforgiving, that he needed something with a bit more 'pop' (his words), and if he hadn't been so stubborn and closed minded during his later playing days, he would have switched to something else.

No one is disputing that the PS 85 is full of nostalgia and one of the purest feeling frames produced, but its a racquet for appreciating the history of tennis, not a racquet for real world competitive play in 2011.

droliver
08-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Most 3.5's aren't good enough to handle the PS 6.0 85. It's an advanced racquet for advanced players.

Maybe I'm old, but when the Pro Staff 6.0 85 1st came out when I was a teenager it was definitely not felt to be such a discriminating stick to play with, and was marketed and promoted for all skill levels. It's kind of funny to hear some of the comments now that "no one" can play with it because it's too demanding. It doesn't lend itself to super wristy strokes like an even balance, RA 70 Pure Drive, but it's not like hitting with a T2000 or anything alien.

Devilito
08-13-2011, 05:44 PM
He had the same great forehand, backhand, and serve with the PS 6.0 85 but he volleyed better with the PS 6.0 85 than he does now with the Tour 90.

i'd say that his serve was better with the 85

BreakPoint
08-13-2011, 07:12 PM
lol you dont get it man. the racket is very demanding and despite what you think about how it suits your game and blah blah blah it doesnt. just like the majority on here you are stuck in that belief because it's a legend classic of a racket and you want to feel like you are part of that club. even though you would be much better with a less demanding stick. so thats why i propose seeing guys like you post a vid of you hitting with it. it would be a great laugh.

How do you know it doesn't? :confused:

Isn't that like telling someone that vanilla ice cream suits him better than chocolate ice cream just because vanilla ice cream happens to suit YOU better?

BreakPoint
08-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Maybe I'm old, but when the Pro Staff 6.0 85 1st came out when I was a teenager it was definitely not felt to be such a discriminating stick to play with, and was marketed and promoted for all skill levels. It's kind of funny to hear some of the comments now that "no one" can play with it because it's too demanding. It doesn't lend itself to super wristy strokes like an even balance, RA 70 Pure Drive, but it's not like hitting with a T2000 or anything alien.
You're exactly right! In fact, the PS 85 was marketed as being "very light" and with "incredible power", and being much easier to play with than the predominant wood racquets of the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNFVnNUy4Fo

If you learned to play tennis with wood racquets (as many here did), there's nothing at all demanding about the PS 6.0 85. In fact, compared to playing with a wood racquet, playing with the PS 6.0 85 is like playing with a lightweight, super powerful, massive headed game improvement stick. :shock: :)

BreakPoint
08-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Er, you seem to have conveniently overlooked the fact that the man himself chooses to to use a 98sq" Pure Storm Tour strung with poly over a PS 85, and has actually said in interview, that the reason for that is the headsize is too small, that its too unforgiving, that he needed something with a bit more 'pop' (his words), and if he hadn't been so stubborn and closed minded during his later playing days, he would have switched to something else.

No one is disputing that the PS 85 is full of nostalgia and one of the purest feeling frames produced, but its a racquet for appreciating the history of tennis, not a racquet for real world competitive play in 2011.
You do realize that they stopped making the St. Vincent back in 1991 and that Sampras doesn't have any left, don't you? Not even the China version was being made any longer when Sampas cam back on the senior's tour. So what if Sampras is currently using something different? It doesn't mean he plays any better with it nor wins more. I've switched racquets many times over the years. It doesn't mean I played any better after switching. In fact, in most cases, I played worse and regret ever switching. Sometimes, I'll pick up an old racquet and play better with it and wonder why I ever switched. I'm sure everyone here has had the same experience.

It doesn't change my claim that Sampras could still beat any 40-year old in the world with a PS 6.0 85.

Dunlop300t
08-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Well first of all using a ps85 will not handicap you, (i have one with babolat addiction in the full bed) there is no other feel like this racquet, no matter where i look. i have a friend who is a fan of prostaff racquets, the guys uses this racquet too but hes not good with it, his shots are hard and all but his control on the ball is not what he is looking for he gets that with a kps 88, there is not alot of difference in that with the 88... he was a county champion against people using apdgt, apdc, dunlop, and sixone tours... The guy is great with that racquet. Now i dont understand me and him are at the same level, i was second in my county's, he was first, i lost to him at the end 6-4, 7-6. He maybe in a better mental condition, but at the end it doesn't really matter what racquet you use you need to be good with it, this year i was using a exo3 black, i loved it, but now i am on a blx blade tour. my game is totally different i still cant beat him when he uses his kps though. The question is that can you handle playing with the racquet that requires you to get a perfect shot every shot... and if your looking to laugh on someones game, then look at your game first, you game is laughable until you become a pro and get paid, if your not at that level you have no right to laugh at someone's game. you know who you are! fed uses a 90 inch head size and won with it, nadal used to use a 98 the apdcontrol (some remember) pete used to use a kps88, they knew how to use this racquet, and anytime they hit shots they would look picture perfect. There is no question that a bigger head means more forgiveness but i doubt that just cause if you have a bigger frame you are the better player. its important to know how to use your weapon, not argue about the bigger the headsize the better the player.

PandaKing
08-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Well.... if you haven't noticed...... America is quite like that...... Anyway....... Instead of being more UNFORGIVING with the 85 HS. That really doesn't make sense. So you guys who are hating are saying that, with a smaller head size. It is less unforgiving? If you miss a hit with a 110 HS and miss. Is it still unforgiving? Or is it because you can't handle the size? Gotta learn to take control of your wang and smash things.

PandaKing
08-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Well.... if you haven't noticed...... America is quite like that...... Anyway....... Instead of being more UNFORGIVING with the 85 HS. That really doesn't make sense. So you guys who are hating are saying that, with a smaller head size. It is less unforgiving? If you miss a hit with a 110 HS and miss. Is it still unforgiving? Or is it because you can't handle the size? Gotta learn to take control of your wang and smash things.

Holy crap kept thinking the words in my head and started to type them. LOL

stevewcosta
08-14-2011, 06:02 AM

What's your level and what racquet do you use? As much as you claim to have me figured out, you miss the mark. Not that I expect you to follow my exciting posts, but I have said 100 times that I would prefer a 95 with the characteristics of the 6.0. The 6.0 isn't even my favorite racquet of all time (just my favorite readily accessible racquet). If Yonex reproduced the R-10, I would buy 10 of them and be done. Know anything at all about R-series? Better than any of the garbage out on the market today. So keep LOLing with your assumptions.

TenFanLA
08-14-2011, 07:44 AM
There you have it. 1. PS 85 for all the studs here. 2. PS 95 and PS 100 for 4.5 hackers like me. I hope Wilson is listening.

stevewcosta
08-14-2011, 08:31 AM
There you have it. 1. PS 85 for all the studs here. 2. PS 95 and PS 100 for 4.5 hackers like me. I hope Wilson is listening.

They won't. They are too dumb and have no clue what will sell. Maybe this last 85 batch clued them in. Pathetic. A 95 thinner than 20MM with same materials and box beam...incredible.

Dave M
08-14-2011, 09:04 AM

I wouldnt mind a 95, but like the 85 not the old 95 (if you see what i mean).

I was playing doubles yesterday, I was using my 6.0 and my partner had a wilson hammer stretch, easilly double the frame thickness it seemed to be 330g strung and the head size was over 130" from what he said it's the largest legally allowed frame they made some years back. I guess the only way we could have more contrast was if I was using a wooden frame, I hit with it and it was terrible(for me) can't describe how bad it felt on volleys but somehow it made groundstrokes and serves worse, no feel completely disconnected from the ball at all times.My partner however plays ok with it.
So what i'm trying to say is, if you played a couple of sets with me with my pro staff then me with his outer limits (i think that's what it was) then i'd put money on us ending a set each having heavilly lost with the hammer! I don't buy into people saying "you can't do this" or "this is rubbish now" there may be something better out ther e for some players we played a good solid pair using a yonex 100" something and an ncode npro open, so plenty of spin and pace on offer against us.I was serving and volleying and putting volleys and overheads away with ease with my prostaff. I nearly knocked a child off a slide in the nearby park with the hammer!

stevewcosta
08-14-2011, 09:08 AM
[QUOTE=Dave M;5901063]I wouldnt mind a 95, but like the 85 not the old 95 (if you see what i mean).

Hell yeah Dave. Exactly what I want, not a re-lease of the 6.0 95 but an improved version of it. Not sure why Wilson "can't do it." I'm sure they'll be releasing 15 new crap models soon, why not have 1 or 2 decent ones in the mix?

Dave M
08-14-2011, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=Dave M;5901063]I wouldnt mind a 95, but like the 85 not the old 95 (if you see what i mean).

Hell yeah Dave. Exactly what I want, not a re-lease of the 6.0 95 but an improved version of it. Not sure why Wilson "can't do it." I'm sure they'll be releasing 15 new crap models soon, why not have 1 or 2 decent ones in the mix?

I imagine thier pre production focus groups will tell them "lighter and brighter" is best so we'll have some new technology giving more power, control, spin and allowing better flat shots all at once!
We all know they can't be wrong!

stingstang
08-14-2011, 09:59 AM
some idiots here have delusions of grandeur or something- we don't have to play Djokovic or Nadal for a living. Its just for fun.

Still think its a perfect doubles tool, best serving & volleying stick ever.

gplracer
08-14-2011, 10:26 AM
I just switched from a BLX Blade 98 to the BLX90. It reminds me of the old 85 that I had in the 80's. I too would like to see a 95 inch version.

Dave M
08-14-2011, 02:31 PM
some idiots here have delusions of grandeur or something- we don't have to play Djokovic or Nadal for a living. Its just for fun.

Still think its a perfect doubles tool, best serving & volleying stick ever.

If there were a "like" button i'd use it.Sadly i'm not in it for the money any longer but for the fun, so use what i fancy on that day.

forthegame
08-14-2011, 03:20 PM
What do they mean by "SMU"?

Bud
08-14-2011, 03:36 PM

Wow, why don't you mind your own business and worry about your own game? You have no clue how good these people are or whether the frame suits their game.

It seems it's you who doesn't get it.

JoelDali
08-14-2011, 07:20 PM
I had a cryptic vision during Ralphadan that Pete is going back to the 85.

That would be a huge LOL.

zapvor
08-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Wow, why don't you mind your own business and worry about your own game? You have no clue how good these people are or whether the frame suits their game.

It seems it's you who doesn't get it.

lol thats why i am asking them. why dont you take your own advice;)

BreakPoint
08-14-2011, 08:10 PM
What do they mean by "SMU"?
"Special Make Up"

It just means that it's specially made to order for one customer rather than for general mass distribution.

MayDay
08-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Why do people that can't use ps85 want to project their own shortcomings as a common denominator onto others?

Is it their lack of mental toughness to use a smaller racquet head, even though 10 sq inches is really not that big of difference between racquets?

Just because you can't drive stick well (and that F1 also do not use manual transmission), you think you need to go out of your way to bash people for buying sports cars with manual transmission? Do you realize that some people enjoy rolling the gears regardless how fast they are around the track? You may enjoy the GTR, but some people prefer the GT3 RS anyday.

Stop being so narrow-minded people!

NST
08-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Why do people that can't use ps85 want to project their own shortcomings as a common denominator onto others?

Is it their lack of mental toughness to use a smaller racquet head, even though 10 sq inches is really not that big of difference between racquets?

Just because you can't drive stick well (and that F1 also do not use manual transmission), you think you need to go out of your way to bash people for buying sports cars with manual transmission? Do you realize that some people enjoy rolling the gears regardless how fast they are around the track? You may enjoy the GTR, but some people prefer the GT3 RS anyday.

Stop being so narrow-minded people!

+1

I think that the whole headsize-thing is mostly psychological.If you think you 're good enough to play with a smaller head, you are.If you think you need a bigger head,you will be unable to play with a midsize racquet just because of this belief.Plus, your headsize is only as good as your footwork.

Bud
08-14-2011, 10:16 PM
lol thats why i am asking them. why dont you take your own advice;)

No, you're denigrating people who choose to play with a frame you consider obsolete.

Have you ever tried to hit with a midsize frame?

Limpinhitter
08-15-2011, 04:12 AM
. . . wait a few more years until they re-issue the Jack Kramer vintage wood racket with the wooden press instead of a racket cover. . . .

I'll be first in line for that one, brother (sans the wood press which caused more warpage than it prevented). And, I didn't have any problem hitting the sweet spot with the Kramer or the Fort either. Of course, they'd have to bring back Victor Imperial gut to put in it. Ahhhhhh!

Limpinhitter
08-15-2011, 04:17 AM

If you put an 85 on top of a 100 you'll see that the 100 gives you about 1 to 1.5 more strings to hit with all the way around. Not that much. Plus, with the PS85 16x18 string pattern, the sweet spot is probably going to be about the same size compared to many 100's.

Torres
08-15-2011, 04:29 AM
Plus, with the PS85 16x18 string pattern, the sweet spot is probably going to be about the same size compared to many 100's.

Don't be daft. The sweetspot size of the 85 and a 100 is like night and day.

jorel
08-15-2011, 04:55 AM
tried it yesterday.. the balance feels wierd

stevewcosta
08-15-2011, 05:57 AM
No, you're denigrating people who choose to play with a frame you consider obsolete.

Have you ever tried to hit with a midsize frame?

Yeah, he (she?) claims to have hit with it once for a couple minutes. The fact that she couldn't serve with it is very telling in my book.

borgpro
08-15-2011, 06:47 AM
The head size is no problem if you have decent strokes; and the stability and weight make up for the small head size.. The sweet spot is not smaller than of the BLX 90. I played with a friend with a prince 100 si, and he was amazed about the solidness and heaviness of my shots!

Tar Heel Tennis
08-15-2011, 07:39 AM

Hmmm.....you're right. I just checked the Power Zone Comparison chart in the TW University section...PS85 isn't a racket choice, but KPS88 is. I compared the 88 to a Prince, Head, and Babolat 100 s.i. Frame....the 88 Has a much greater power/hitting zone than the 100's I compared.

So you're absolutely correct...the sweetspot size of the 8:) and 100 IS like night and day.

What do you think about this scientific FACT?

movdqa
08-15-2011, 07:45 AM
> What do you think about this scientific FACT?

Not much you can do - the KPS88 is no longer for sale.

Tar Heel Tennis
08-15-2011, 07:47 AM

Considering the comment I responded to concerns sweet spot size, your response is a moot point. :-?

movdqa
08-15-2011, 08:20 AM
> Considering the comment I responded to concerns sweet spot
> size, your response is a moot point.

But your comment wasn't practical.

There are many factors contributing to sweetspot size and the fact that even Pete Sampras has dropped his signature frame show that sweetspot size isn't everything.

Perhaps an all-other-things-equal comment could be added here.

I have a few Head Professionals that I take out every once in a while. What do you think the size of the sweetspot on those is? I'd say about the size of a dime.

martini1
08-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Even compared to the K90 the PS85 has a much smaller sweet spot. The PS85 is less forgiving on mishits and no you cannot just spin your way thru and hope the ball will land deep.

The PS85's spin and power came from proper clean hits, no matter if you are applying topspin or hit it flat.

And no, this is not one of those modern clay friendly sticks I am afraid. It is not the same as many 100 sq in out there today.

VGP
08-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Hmmm.....you're right. I just checked the Power Zone Comparison chart in the TW University section...PS85 isn't a racket choice, but KPS88 is. I compared the 88 to a Prince, Head, and Babolat 100 s.i. Frame....the 88 Has a much greater power/hitting zone than the 100's I compared.

So you're absolutely correct...the sweetspot size of the 8:) and 100 IS like night and day.

I'm glad the kPS88 information is still available on TW University despite being discontinued.

I hope TW Professor posts the data on the PS85. He mentioned in another thread that he wanted to do a work-up of the PS85 for TW University. I'd love to see the results. I'm looking forward to it.

movdqa
08-15-2011, 09:02 AM
KPS88 is a monster of a frame but I think that it's too heavy for most players.

forthegame
08-15-2011, 09:06 AM
"Special Make Up"

It just means that it's specially made to order for one customer rather than for general mass distribution.

Thanks. So SMU for TW? Does that mean that it could be substantially diffferent from the original racquet?

jorel
08-15-2011, 09:48 AM
interesting... i opened the buttcap and the handle is all filled in... no room to add extra weight

jorel
08-15-2011, 09:52 AM
honestly,,, if they just repainted the k88 to look like the 60 85... i honestly couldnt tell the difference

jorel
08-15-2011, 09:52 AM
honestly,,, if they just repainted the k88 to look like the 60 85... i honestly couldnt tell the difference
in looks and maybe playability

VGP
08-15-2011, 10:06 AM
in looks and maybe playability

Hmmmm......

movdqa
08-15-2011, 10:08 AM
My guess is that they don't play that similarly.

I used the KPS for a few years and light-feeling and easy to swing aren't attributes that I'd give to the KPS.

jorel
08-15-2011, 10:18 AM
My guess is that they don't play that similarly.

I used the KPS for a few years and light-feeling and easy to swing aren't attributes that I'd give to the KPS.
the 6.0 85 isnt that easy to swing either

maybe i got one with jacked up specs .....

with WIlson QC issues and all

jorel
08-15-2011, 10:19 AM
the 6.0 85 isnt that easy to swing either

maybe i got one with jacked up specs .....

with WIlson QC issues and all
or i need to hit the k88 again

jorel
08-15-2011, 10:21 AM
or ive gottten weaker

stevewcosta
08-15-2011, 10:26 AM

You definitely got a jacked up one (I got one too almost 12.9 ounces). The 6.0 swings MUCH easier than the 88, that's what makes it so much more user-friendly (on-spec of course).

movdqa
08-15-2011, 10:26 AM
I have jacked up 88s and really light 88s but I mainly used the heavy ones. It may be that the light 88s are similar to the PS 85 but the big difference in balance would lead me to think that the PS 85 does play a lot lighter. I've only hit with a PS 85 for about five minutes back in the 90s and I remember that it was a very low-powered frame (I was using a widebody back then).

stevewcosta
08-15-2011, 10:31 AM
I have jacked up 88s and really light 88s but I mainly used the heavy ones. It may be that the light 88s are similar to the PS 85 but the big difference in balance would lead me to think that the PS 85 does play a lot lighter. I've only hit with a PS 85 for about five minutes back in the 90s and I remember that it was a very low-powered frame (I was using a widebody back then).

I honestly have never had power issues except for just trying to block back balls - works well when you hit the sweet spot but I tend to hit high. I don't need a big fat bubble like Prince shaped racs. but could use a bit more space high up - like the Dunlop shape.

movdqa
08-15-2011, 10:34 AM
My old widebody was probably around 85 flex - really powerful frame. I moved to much softer frames in the 1990s so I went back to generating my own pace. I'd guess that I wouldn't have any problems hitting with the PS 85, heavy or light. You can go to just about anything from the KPS88.

BreakPoint
08-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Only people not good enough to hit the middle of the stringbed need bigger sweetspots.

BreakPoint
08-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Even compared to the K90 the PS85 has a much smaller sweet spot. The PS85 is less forgiving on mishits and no you cannot just spin your way thru and hope the ball will land deep.

I honestly haven't noticed the difference.

BreakPoint
08-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks. So SMU for TW? Does that mean that it could be substantially diffferent from the original racquet?
It could if they specifically request something to be made differently, but somehow I doubt Wilson would honor that request and significantly change a classic. I'm pretty sure TW just asked for the same racquet as the last ones that Wilson made for TW a few years ago. Sure, they came out a little differently but I doubt that was because TW asked for something different. It's probably just that Wilson hasn't made them in a while so the molds, tools, processes, materials, etc. may have changed slightly from the last time they made them.

BreakPoint
08-15-2011, 10:55 AM
You definitely got a jacked up one (I got one too almost 12.9 ounces). The 6.0 swings MUCH easier than the 88, that's what makes it so much more user-friendly (on-spec of course).
I agree. The PS 6.0 85 is extremely easy to swing. The KPS88 is a monster to swing and too much racquet for me to use. The PS 6.0 85 even swings much easier than any of the Tour 90's, and the Tour 90's swing easier than the KPS88.

stevewcosta
08-15-2011, 11:12 AM
I agree. The PS 6.0 85 is extremely easy to swing. The KPS88 is a monster to swing and too much racquet for me to use. The PS 6.0 85 even swings much easier than any of the Tour 90's, and the Tour 90's swing easier than the KPS88.

Exactly. I actually nearly pulled my arm out of its socket trying to serve hard with the 88 (6.0 serves like a dream). I also owned every other iteration starting with the T90s that I wanted to love (awesome paint...liked the sandpaper-like finish also). Was more lead-pipe feeling than the 6.0...more cumbersome to swing and had that annoyingly long grip. I couldn't finesse that racquet at all while I can do some pretty cool things with the 6.0 (last minute reaction shots etc.). Now I need a damn 6.0 90 or improved 95. This year I finally feeling my age...lingering injuries etc.

Torres
08-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Only people not good enough to hit the middle of the stringbed need bigger sweetspots.

Then Federer needs a new racquet, pretty pronto.

BreakPoint
08-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Then Federer needs a new racquet, pretty pronto.
Yes, Federer should go back to his PS 6.0 85 because he played much better with it than with his Tour 90, and the smaller hoop made him shank off the hoop much less. The bigger the hoop, the more likely the big hoop will get in the way of the ball. :)

SVP
08-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Breakpoint, most of your arguments are highly flawed (and your post about Krickstein is dead wrong.) So I would bet that you are not an attorney or if you are, you work for the government. But I hope that everyone I play takes your advice and plays with PS 85. I know that I would go from 4.5 to 5.5 in a hurry. I take exception to your snarky remark about govt. lawyers. According to a recent paper by Thomas Cohen at the U.S. Federal Bureau of Justice Statistics, private lawyers and Public Defenders working for the govt. secure the same results for their clients. Private lawyers who are appointed on individual criminal cases by courts to represent criminal defendants (as opposed to Public Defender lawyers), on the other hand, receive less favorable outcomes than either privately paid lawyers or Public Defenders. Just trying to set the record straight. I'm tired of people banging on those of us who work for the government, that's all.

Torres
08-15-2011, 03:30 PM
I take exception to your snarky remark about govt. lawyers.

Oh stop being so oversensitive. I've worked across all sectors - private practice, central government, local government and as in-house Counsel for one of the most well known FMCGs in the world, and also for a large well known, financial institution. The typical government lawyer really isn't of a particular high calibre. That's not to say that they're all poor, just that the bar tends to be much lower than what you'd find in the top private practice firms or the legal departments of large blue chips. The biggest difference is the organisational culture, mentality and resourcing. In Government there's more of an emphasis on process rather than on excellence and development.

pepelepieux
08-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Pardon my French, but what does SMU stand for ?

BreakPoint
08-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Already answered above:

"Special Make Up"

Limpinhitter
08-15-2011, 05:06 PM

Hahaha! I was just about to look up "daft." Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Limpinhitter
08-15-2011, 05:14 PM

Southern Methodist University?

pepelepieux
08-15-2011, 05:18 PM
thanks ^^

tenchar

whomad15
08-15-2011, 06:24 PM
I dislike playing with wilsons, the feel is just... different and less to my liking then my prince.
that being said, the PS85 IS the classic wilson frame, and like prince they should keep around their most classic frame and put it at a reasonable price of $129.

martini1
08-16-2011, 12:13 AM
I honestly haven't noticed the difference.

I could tell the difference. On the PS85 the power would drop more than the K90 when the ball is not a clean center hit.

aimr75
08-16-2011, 02:26 AM
I could tell the difference. On the PS85 the power would drop more than the K90 when the ball is not a clean center hit.

Yeah I noticed this as well, off center hits lost alot of juice. This aside very sweet stick to hit with

BreakPoint
08-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Yeah I noticed this as well, off center hits lost alot of juice. This aside very sweet stick to hit with
Off center hits with the K90 lose a lot of juice as well. I find the PS 6.0 85 to have a surprisingly large sweetspot for an 85 sq. in. head. The PS 6.0 95 may have a much larger stringbed, but I don't find the sweetspot itself to be much bigger than on the 85.

CDestroyer
08-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Off center hits with the K90 lose a lot of juice as well. I find the PS 6.0 85 to have a surprisingly large sweetspot for an 85 sq. in. head. The PS 6.0 95 may have a much larger stringbed, but I don't find the sweetspot itself to be much bigger than on the 85.

Of course the 95 sweet spot is bigger. It probably is because the 95 has a more head light balance than the 85.

BreakPoint
08-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Of course the 95 sweet spot is bigger. It probably is because the 95 has a more head light balance than the 85.
Less weight in the head makes the sweetspot smaller, not bigger. That's why people add lead tape to the head - to enlarge the sweetspot.

The entire upper half of the stringbed of the 95 is dead. Believe me, I know because I used that racquet for years. Yeah, you can get more strings on the ball with the 95 more often because of the larger head, but it's anything but a sweetspot. The smaller head of the 85 is much more stable which increases the size of the sweetspot.

CDestroyer
08-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Less weight in the head makes the sweetspot smaller, not bigger. That's why people add lead tape to the head - to enlarge the sweetspot.

I realize that. I was saying the sweet spot of the stock 95 seemed smaller because it is more head light than the stock 85.

All you needed to do is put a long strip of lead at the tip of the 95 racquet then the sweet spot would have been much bigger than the 85.

movdqa
08-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Off-center hits on the KPS88 are pretty good. Frame shots aren't bad either - the benefits of box beam.

BreakPoint
08-16-2011, 11:13 AM
I realize that. I was saying the sweet spot of the stock 95 seemed smaller because it is more head light than the stock 85.

All you needed to do is put a long strip of lead at the tip of the 95 racquet then the sweet spot would have been much bigger than the 85.
When you have to add lead tape, you're no longer comparing apples-to-apples. I play with both the 85 and 95 stock.

You can also add lead tape to the the 85 to enlarge its sweetspot as well.

TW Staff
08-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Thought I'd give you fans of the 85 a heads up, they are now BACK in stock! Get yours today before they run out again.

http://bit.ly/p5VsGy

Jason, TW

jorel
08-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Thought I'd give you fans of the 85 a heads up, they are now BACK in stock! Get yours today before they run out again.

Jason, TW
noice....same price just as nice

jorel
08-16-2011, 11:45 AM
i predict 26 hours for the sellout of 4 1/4 this time

BreakPoint
08-16-2011, 11:50 AM

Jason, TW
Hi Jason,

Can you please verify that the specs haven't changed from the last batch? Just to be safe since the last batch was quite a bit different from the previous batch of SMU units from a couple of years ago.

Thanks!

jorel
08-16-2011, 11:54 AM
just curious if we bought six the first time can we buy six again this time?

MayDay
08-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Got me another L3. Happy camper.

VGP
08-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Nice. Ahead of schedule.

Do people still say "L3?" That implies a light racket with a 4 3/8 grip size.....which in this case it is.

Most other rackets these days would be an SL3 or UL3.

2ndServe
08-16-2011, 02:00 PM
do the grips run a bit large because of the leather?

TW Staff
08-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Hi Jason,

Can you please verify that the specs haven't changed from the last batch? Just to be safe since the last batch was quite a bit different from the previous batch of SMU units from a couple of years ago.

Thanks!

I'll get a batch to spec when I get a chance.

Jason, TW

paulcd77
08-16-2011, 03:10 PM
The entire upper half of the stringbed of the 95 is dead. Believe me, I know because I used that racquet for years.

i know because that's where most of my mishits originate. :???:

i'm also interested in the specs - which, if the initial readings were accurate, means the 85 and 95 have the same balance (10 pts). i hope nothing has dramatically changed from batch #1.

hrstrat57
08-16-2011, 03:23 PM
You can also add lead tape to the the 85 to enlarge its sweetspot as well.

3/9 4/5 inches......sweetspot really opens up on my ps 85's

BreakPoint
08-16-2011, 05:33 PM

Jason, TW
Great! Thanks Jason. :)

I hope it's not too much trouble. But we all know how Wilson's QC can be. :(

Bud
08-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Ordered one today in 4 1/2" :)

jemsiter
08-16-2011, 08:01 PM
i predict 26 hours for the sellout of 4 1/4 this time

ordered two 4 1/4

I asked and they said they only have about 30 counts of 4 1/4 left

to TW:

After the 4 1/4 sells out this time, will there be another batch?

Keifers
08-16-2011, 11:18 PM

Jason, TW
Jason,
Any word on when the replacement grommets will be in stock again?

Thanks.

(From Chris early last month:

Wilson Prostaff Original 6.0 85 Grommet $6.99

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=WRZ7156

Chris, TW )

jorel
08-17-2011, 04:41 AM
Great! Thanks Jason. :)

I hope it's not too much trouble. But we all know how Wilson's QC can be. :(
Please compare across grip sizes as well thanks

jorel
08-17-2011, 05:00 AM
ordered two 4 1/4

to TW:

so

if five people order 6 ...they'll be out...and those people will have cornered the market

maybe i should buy six

i keed i keed

jorel
08-17-2011, 05:22 AM
i honestly dont know why they dont keep these in stock on a regular basis (and the 6.0 95)

just for example... if Wilson charges TW 100 dollars per racquet (which is alot considering it actually costs them a few dollars to produce) and TW charges us 150... thats a huge profit margin...how can i order some 6.0 85 in bulk from Wilson and flip them at those numbers

stevewcosta
08-17-2011, 05:36 AM
i honestly dont know why they dont keep these in stock on a regular basis (and the 6.0 95)

just for example... if Wilson charges TW 100 dollars per racquet (which is alot considering it actually costs them a few dollars to produce) and TW charges us 150... thats a huge profit margin...how can i order some 6.0 85 in bulk from Wilson and flip them at those numbers

If Wilson's light bulb doesn't go off after this second run, they are plain dumb (which they already are...just dumber than I initially thought). They need to get rid of all of this dampening crap "technology" also. Not being able to feel anything sure constitutes innovation. What a joke.

jorel
08-17-2011, 06:06 AM
If Wilson's light bulb doesn't go off after this second run, they are plain dumb (which they already are...just dumber than I initially thought). They need to get rid of all of this dampening crap "technology" also. Not being able to feel anything sure constitutes innovation. What a joke.
and i would only order 4 1/4 and 4 3/8 from Wilson:oops:

CDestroyer
08-17-2011, 06:10 AM
just curious if we bought six the first time can we buy six again this time?

They would sell you the whole friggin batch if you wanted.

jorel
08-17-2011, 06:17 AM
They would sell you the whole friggin batch if you wanted.
uhhhh........

no they wouldnt

MayDay
08-17-2011, 09:52 AM
uhhhh........

no they wouldnt

Unless it's an offer they couldn't refuse. Everything has a price. It's a business decision and arrangement.

jemsiter
08-17-2011, 10:07 AM
the 4 1/4 sold out already. in less than 24 hours like last time.

i wonder will there be another batch?

mad dog1
08-17-2011, 10:08 AM
ordered two 4 1/4

to TW:

i guess the 4 1/4 is sold out again; it's no longer available in the dropdown.

mad dog1
08-17-2011, 10:10 AM
the 4 1/4 sold out already. in less than 24 hours like last time.

i wonder will there be another batch?

you beat me to it. :D i guess i was typing my message just as you were posting. i'm surprised the 4 1/4 sell out so quickly. i always thought L3 and L4 were the most popular grip sizes.

jemsiter
08-17-2011, 10:15 AM
i'm not surprised since it happened last time.
i was literally refreshing the TW website every 5 minutes when i purchased the first one. then i found out it sold out within the first day i regret so much i only ordered one.
the second run i knew the 4 1/4 would been gone quick. good that i ordered two this time :)
i think 3 should last me a while. i hope there will be more coming

jorel
08-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Unless it's an offer they couldn't refuse. Everything has a price. It's a business decision and arrangement.
i dont think they would.... even for a miiiiiiilion dollars

jorel
08-17-2011, 10:41 AM
you beat me to it. :D i guess i was typing my message just as you were posting. i'm surprised the 4 1/4 sell out so quickly. i always thought L3 and L4 were the most popular grip sizes.
Federer uses a 4 3/8 so unless your bigger than Fed...

BreakPoint
08-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Federer uses a 4 3/8 so unless your bigger than Fed...
Federer uses a grip size that's way too small for his hand.

Federer also wears a size 12 shoe. Would you buy size 12 shoes just because that's the size Federer wears even though a size 9 fits you better?

jorel
08-17-2011, 11:34 AM

Federer also wears a size 12 shoe. Would you buy size 12 shoes just because that's the size Federer wears even though a size 9 fits you better?
sorry but your statement lacks credibiltiy

your saying the GOAT is using the wrong grip size????

maybe if he is the GOAT... his grip size IS the right grip size

and we all need to change our frames of reference for what the "right" grip size is...

i know i know.... im starting a war

jorel
08-17-2011, 11:36 AM
all im saying is that with the modern game... a smaller grip size presently is more popular

TW Staff
08-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Jason,
Any word on when the replacement grommets will be in stock again?

Thanks.

(From Chris early last month:

Wilson Prostaff Original 6.0 85 Grommet $6.99

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=WRZ7156

Chris, TW )

We expect more to arrive on 10/11

Jason, TW

TW Staff
08-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Hi Jason,

Thanks!

They are spec'ing out within the tolerances of the old batch. You are good to go!

Jason, TW

BreakPoint
08-17-2011, 11:38 AM
all im saying is that with the modern game... a smaller grip size presently is more popular
Someone who plays the "modern game" should not be using a PS 6.0 85. They would be much better off with a different racquet.

BreakPoint
08-17-2011, 11:39 AM
They are spec'ing out within the tolerances of the old batch. You are good to go!

Jason, TW
Great! Thanks for taking the time Jason! :)

jorel
08-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Someone who plays the "modern game" should not be using a PS 6.0 85. They would be much better off with a different racquet.
tell that to Fed....he did beat Sampras with it

BreakPoint
08-17-2011, 11:46 AM
sorry but your statement lacks credibiltiy

your saying the GOAT is using the wrong grip size????

maybe if he is the GOAT... his grip size IS the right grip size

and we all need to change our frames of reference for what the "right" grip size is...

i know i know.... im starting a war
Yes, I am.

Federer also uses power pads and string savers. Does that mean it's wrong not to use power pads and string savers when you string your racquet?

I think Federer uses a L3 because that's what he used when he was a kid and became comfortable with it (along with playing squash when he was younger, which have smaller grips). When he grew in size, he never bothered to switch to a bigger grip size, even though it would probably serve him better. Maybe if he used his proper grip size, he wouldn't miss so many volleys and win even more?

jorel
08-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Yes, I am.

Federer also uses power pads and string savers. Does that mean it's wrong not to use power pads and string savers when you string your racquet?

I think Federer uses a L3 because that's what he used when he was a kid and became comfortable with it (along with playing squash when he was younger, which have smaller grips). When he grew in size, he never bothered to switch to a bigger grip size, even though it would probably serve him better. Maybe if he used his proper grip size, he wouldn't miss so many volleys and win even more?
WOW!!!!!

that is quite a statement

Would you like to respond Roger?

BreakPoint
08-17-2011, 11:47 AM
And Sampras won 7 Wimbledons with a 4 5/8 grip.

jorel
08-17-2011, 11:50 AM
And Sampras won 7 Wimbledons with a 4 5/8 grip.
4 1/2 customized...according to Nate

BreakPoint
08-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Federer beat Sampras at Wimbledon by playing classic serve and volley tennis, not modern tennis at all.

BreakPoint
08-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Customized to be bigger to fit his hand.

jorel
08-17-2011, 11:55 AM
plus..i wouldnt say sampras had a modern game

jorel
08-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Federer beat Sampras at Wimbledon by playing classic serve and volley tennis, not modern tennis at all.
thats up for debate...plus

you just said Fed's volleys suck..if they suck. how did he beat Sampras at Wimby using serve and VOLLEY

im having fun

with all due respect BP

jorel
08-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Okay BP… I’m going to let this die… I think ive spent enough time (wasting?) in this thread having so much self gratifying pleasure

This thread should be about the GREAT 6.0 85

BreakPoint
08-17-2011, 12:09 PM

in his autobiography whcih i have read; Pete clearly states that he used a grip size between 4 5/8 and 4 3/4. this can be found in the chapter where he is describing his equipment.

therefore his grip size would have been around 4 11/16

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=3159169&postcount=11

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=56699

BreakPoint
08-17-2011, 12:10 PM
thats up for debate...plus

you just said Fed's volleys suck..if they suck. how did he beat Sampras at Wimby using serve and VOLLEY

im having fun

with all due respect BP
Federer volleyed better with the PS 6.0 85 than he does now with the Tour 90.

jorel
08-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Federer volleyed better with the PS 6.0 85 than he does now with the Tour 90.
ssorry i tried but i cant resist..

u just said the poor volleys were due to his grip size

now its the Tour 90s fault???

jorel
08-17-2011, 12:22 PM
ssorry i tried but i cant resist..

u just said the poor volleys were due to his grip size

now its the Tour 90s fault???
maybe the poor volleys are due to the wrong grip size AND the Tour 90

I would say both are at fault.:)

drakulie
08-17-2011, 01:52 PM
thats up for debate...

federer did in fact beat Sampras at Wimbledon playing serve and volley.

paulcd77
08-17-2011, 04:08 PM

Jason, TW

just purchased mine. stoked. :)

Keifers
08-17-2011, 04:32 PM
We expect more to arrive on 10/11

Jason, TW
Many thanks, Jason. Cheers.

Cup8489
08-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Really thinking of picking a pair up for myself... my main concerns are that i found the K90s/BLX90's to be a bit sluggish because of the combination of weight/sw. I can play just fine with my wilson sting mids, which I believe are slightly lighter but, more importantly, have a lower sw.

Based on looking at the new specs of the 6.0... do you think I would be able to use it if I can play effectively (even efficiently) with the sting?

the 85 head on the sting/ graphite matrix (i think that's what it's called) has never bothered me, in fact my backhand is never better than with these frames.

thanks for the advice!

hrstrat57
08-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Really thinking of picking a pair up for myself... my main concerns are that i found the K90s/BLX90's to be a bit sluggish because of the combination of weight/sw. I can play just fine with my wilson sting mids, which I believe are slightly lighter but, more importantly, have a lower sw.

Based on looking at the new specs of the 6.0... do you think I would be able to use it if I can play effectively (even efficiently) with the sting?

the 85 head on the sting/ graphite matrix (i think that's what it's called) has never bothered me, in fact my backhand is never better than with these frames.

thanks for the advice!

PS 85 is way better than sting, not even close IMHO....I haven't and likely won't hit this version but I have a PS 85 China and it hits great....expect this version is similar.

I think 2 of these will make u smile for a long time.

Others might comment how this version compares to their
late 90's China versions if they have them.

stevewcosta
08-17-2011, 05:46 PM

Saf - are you switching from the PSLtd? That rac. always intrigued me but usually don't like 18x20s. Please let me know...a brief comparison would be great...feel, tough, plow, spin? Anything will be appreciated. THX!

Cup8489
08-17-2011, 06:21 PM
PS 85 is way better than sting, not even close IMHO....I haven't and likely won't hit this version but I have a PS 85 China and it hits great....expect this version is similar.

I think 2 of these will make u smile for a long time.

Others might comment how this version compares to their
late 90's China versions if they have them.

Yeah. I like the Sting but feel it's a bit too flexy for me, I prefer a bit stiffer feel so I can sense what the volleys are doing better.

Bud
08-17-2011, 07:50 PM

Dimitrov would ;)

tnsanydy
08-17-2011, 11:12 PM
The more I play with this racket, the more I get attached to it like my pet dog, never complaints and always there to make my day! This PS85, it turned out is nothing to be afraid about- at 10 pts. headlight and a swingweight of only 321, it's a lot easier to swing than your average player's racket. Now if we are talking about Sampras' customized and leaded up PS85, then I would say be afraid... be very afraid! :)

morten
08-18-2011, 12:16 AM
Dimitrov would ;)

lol... :) on a serious note, maybe Dimitrov should try the ps85... or Blake.. LOL

jorel
08-18-2011, 04:26 AM
federer did in fact beat Sampras at Wimbledon playing serve and volley.
im not arguing that but thats not all he did to beat sampras...he had to return..serve...just saying it took more than a serve and a volley to beat sampras.. .rally groundstrokes...

and if Fed served and volleyed now against the Joker...i would still consider Fed having a modern game... modern mixed with traditional in a perfect symbiosis.. to be more precise

jorel
08-18-2011, 04:56 AM
btw..played with it again last nite... boy its more demanding than i remember

Bud
08-18-2011, 10:25 AM
I received the frame today :)

My Specs (unstrung):
351g
14+ pts. HL (close to 14.5 points)

Advertised specs (unstrung):
340g
13 pts. HL

11g+ over
1+ additional pts. HL

Although I'm happy that the frame is a bit more HL since it 11g over the weight advertised... I'm still unhappy with the loose specs of yet another Wilson frame :|

Looking forward to trying it, though

- -

The throat specs still recommend Wilson Sensation strings and a Fairway leather grip .. lol