PDA

View Full Version : Question for NoBadMojo re: your review of Dunlop 200G

GregOz
07-05-2005, 01:13 AM
NoBadMojo,

Ive been having a look at the Dunlop 200G as a possible replacement for my old Prestige - not the same but why not try something a little different- and came across your review. I noticed that you said the demo you used was strung tighter than you'd like and it would be best served by using gut and low tensions.

Can you recall what tension you had it strung at and what you thought it would work best at?

NoBadMojo
07-05-2005, 05:45 AM
Greg I believe TW strings ther demos at mid range plus 2 pounds. i dont remember what the recommended range is in this frame, but i think you can look it up. maybe mid 50's w. gut would be great and low 50's w. a multi? sorry, thas the best i can come up with.

GregOz
07-05-2005, 06:49 AM
NoBadMojo, that's more than enough thanks. The tension range is listed as 55-65 so if TW strings mid+2 then Im guessing you had it at about 61-62lbs. Whew, that seems pretty high for a low power 18x20 racquet. Im not surprised you thought it would play better at lower tensions. Gives me a good idea anyway. I prefer for a 95sq inch 55lbs or a little less if needed and always with gut (I like your choice, Im a Klip man from way back). That fits in well.

You also commented that the 200G was a low power, solid, old school frame that delivers penetrating slice and is best for "a moderate spin player who wants to hit a heavy ball that shoots thru the court rather than a looping higher bouncing ball", at its best on the serve and volley. Well I can say, check, check, check, check and check. Pretty much sums up what Im using now and what Im looking for (no surprises, just something solid with good touch ).

Thanks for the detailed review and the quick answer. Mightn't necessarily be the right frame but looks like it wont be too far off the mark.

NoBadMojo
07-05-2005, 07:53 AM
aye Greg...ya man...62 is too tight (especially for a synthetic)..no wonder that frame felt boardy for a flexy frame and the sweetspot felt too small. but i strung these up for a wta girl once and she was at 68 using VSTeam. i would say this is a 50-60 frame because we're not pros and we dont want our arms and shoulders to fall off ;O. glad if i was of some help. Ed

GregOz
07-05-2005, 09:41 AM
Very helpful indeed NoBadMojo. Nope, my pro dreams passed a number of years back. Happy to teach some good kids, play some more relaxed comp and not stress too much - mind or body. Don't get the chance to demo too much, apart from Head racquets so the advice is appreciated. If the 200G works it'll be my first time away from the Head label since 1990 but as I started out with Dunlop it'll be kind of nice if it does go well.

fist pump
07-05-2005, 12:51 PM
nobadmojo is right - i strung one with a prince premier softlex at 55 lbs and it still fels very low powered.

low 50's for a multi will be best i think.

basil J
07-06-2005, 07:09 AM
I use a 200G MW and a 200G HM and find with 16' gauge syntetic gut I can string around 62#, however when I use a 17' string I have to go tighter, say around 65# becuase I get a little more pop from the thinner strings. The 200G series has a very distintive feel and I would suggest experimenting with different types of strings and tensions. After trying a multitude of combinations and tensions, ironically prince synthetic gut duraflex seems to feel the best for me. Right rice too!
I am a 4.0, use a semi western forehand, 1 hand backhand all court player that likes to play baseline tennis and move ito the net whenever appopriate. I am also 6"1 200lbs which may explain why I like a tighter tension than some of the other guys.
Hope this helps...Dunlops rock...