PDA

View Full Version : New TW Feature: Racquet Selector

TW Staff
08-11-2011, 04:46 PM
We have a new tool for those wanting help finding a new racquet. Please take a look, use it, test it, and give us your feedback!

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/RacquetHelp.html

You can access it from the left-hand column in the Racquet section as well.

Thank you!

TW Staff

anhuynh16
08-11-2011, 04:52 PM
We have a new tool for those wanting help finding a new racquet. Please take a look, use it, test it, and give us your feedback!

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/RacquetHelp.html

You can access it from the left-hand column in the Racquet section as well.

Thank you!

TW Staff

very accurate- the rackets that were selected in the catagory(advanced, power/feel were very simialar to what i use

James Bond
08-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Looks great!

Fuji
08-11-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm quite impressed TW! The rackets selected are quite accurate! :)

-Fuji

TimothyO
08-11-2011, 07:33 PM
The thinking embodied in the selector's beginner section explains why so many rec players never get past tapping the ball like they're playing badminton with a cheap set from Walmart... and rarely develop past that point.

UWBTennis
08-11-2011, 08:20 PM
I find that the separation of rackets are quite accurate. The division of rackets in each category into three more category in that category makes for specific narrowing. The only complaint I would have is that you could also still have the old racket finder as an extra option for those who knows exactly what kind of specs they want and prefer that option instead. Keep up the good work TW.

movdqa
08-11-2011, 09:25 PM
I think that it's a cool tool but it still provides a huge list of choices if you pick advanced and comfort. Some further sorting by a flex proxy would be useful.

TopFH
08-12-2011, 05:34 AM
This is very nice. I'll use it to buy future sticks.

zcarzach
08-12-2011, 05:45 AM
It told me to use look at a Blade 98. Far too powerful for me. A persons strength, size, speed etc. are all huge factors in choosing a racquet.

RyKnocks
08-12-2011, 06:06 AM
Works pretty well, but any time I try to filter in Volkl racquets it automatically adds Boris Becker racquets as well.

JackB1
08-12-2011, 06:27 AM
The thinking embodied in the selector's beginner section explains why so many rec players never get past tapping the ball like they're playing badminton with a cheap set from Walmart... and rarely develop past that point.

Beginner's don't usually have a long, full swing, so they need something with more power and a larger surface area for hitting. Put a Prestige in the hands of a beginner and they will be very frustrated.

I don't advocate a $20 Walmart racquet either, but a complete "beginner" with short compact strokes needs a lot of help from the racquet.

JackB1
08-12-2011, 06:34 AM
This ultra simplified racquet selector would be a first step maybe, but there are many racquets that aren't in their proper category. Also, weight is one of the most important categories too. How about a choice of less than 10.5oz, 10.6-11.5 oz, and +11.5 oz?

Some mistakes IMO:

"Control" racquets?

Becker London - pretty high powered
Aero Storm GT ? - very stiff and high power
EXO Black - high power
Blade 98 - high power

"Comfort" racquets?
EXO Black??? - stiffness rating of 71 !!!
PB 8 - 315 - stiffness of 70!!!

"Power" racquets?
RDIS 300? - medium power at best

TheBoom
08-12-2011, 06:56 AM
GREAT job TW i love how much simpler it is and it is pretty accurate as well!!!

bad_call
08-12-2011, 07:05 AM
helpful for some but maybe not others...

TW Staff
08-12-2011, 10:33 AM
I find that the separation of rackets are quite accurate. The division of rackets in each category into three more category in that category makes for specific narrowing. The only complaint I would have is that you could also still have the old racket finder as an extra option for those who knows exactly what kind of specs they want and prefer that option instead. Keep up the good work TW.

The other finder is still available. The new finder is in the menu bar as "Racquet Help," and the racquet finder is still called "Racquet Finder" in the left menu bar.

http://www.racquetfinder.com/

Tiffani, TW

TimothyO
08-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Beginner's don't usually have a long, full swing, so they need something with more power and a larger surface area for hitting. Put a Prestige in the hands of a beginner and they will be very frustrated.

I don't advocate a $20 Walmart racquet either, but a complete "beginner" with short compact strokes needs a lot of help from the racquet.

Begginers don't have long full swings because the beginner racquets they're usually sold are so powerful a long full swing sends the ball over the fence. They have zero hope of developing proper form because those beginners frames ruthlessly PUNISH proper form with long balls.

Advanced players with proper form mitigate frame power and enhance control in a couple of ways. Either they use stiff powerful frames with low powered polys or low powered frames (dense or soft) with higher powered gut/multi mains. Poor noobs are sold powerful trampolines with multi stringbeds which launch balls in uncontrollable arcs...thus they tap the ball. Few rec players spend the time and money needed to break out of this nightmarish trap. After years of play most simply tap the ball instead of taking a full cut.

TW Staff
08-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Jason gives a behind the scenes look at the process of developing the new Racquet Selector in his latest blog.

http://bit.ly/oowITy

JackB1
08-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Begginers don't have long full swings because the beginner racquets they're usually sold are so powerful a long full swing sends the ball over the fence. They have zero hope of developing proper form because those beginners frames ruthlessly PUNISH proper form with long balls.

Advanced players with proper form mitigate frame power and enhance control in a couple of ways. Either they use stiff powerful frames with low powered polys or low powered frames (dense or soft) with higher powered gut/multi mains. Poor noobs are sold powerful trampolines with multi stringbeds which launch balls in uncontrollable arcs...thus they tap the ball. Few rec players spend the time and money needed to break out of this nightmarish trap. After years of play most simply tap the ball instead of taking a full cut.

^^^
there is a happy medium.

Most people that use these so called "powerful trampolines", bought their racquets from their local Walmart for $25, so how serious could they possibly be about developing their game? Anyone serious about learning the game will ask a pro or someone knowledgeable about what racquet/strings would serve them best. If they just grab a $25 Walmart job off the shelf and stop there, they only have themselves to blame. It's not rocket science.

Paul B 40-15
08-26-2011, 02:17 PM
when you go to a sports shop to purchase a new racket, do you need to tall the person in the shop as much information about your game as possible in order for them to help you pick the right racket?
I haven't played for a while and I never really understood a few things.
I have no idea what my style of play is, I also have no idea what my swing speed is, what strings I prefer or what string tension best suits me.

any ideas please?

madsta1234
09-10-2011, 01:45 PM
cool11111111111111

martin
11-14-2011, 02:54 AM
when you go to a sports shop to purchase a new racket, do you need to tall the person in the shop as much information about your game as possible in order for them to help you pick the right racket?
I haven't played for a while and I never really understood a few things.
I have no idea what my style of play is, I also have no idea what my swing speed is, what strings I prefer or what string tension best suits me.

any ideas please?

Just demo some rackets and don't get a light racket with high swingweight but go for the headlight rackets with a swingweight between 320-330 and at least a weight of 320 grams and use a multifilament. Better for your health and most people fall in that category anyway.

Cindysphinx
11-15-2011, 12:00 PM
I was surprised to see that my racket (Aeropro drive) listed under power rather than control for an intermediate player. I wonder why?

corners
11-15-2011, 12:02 PM
I was surprised to see that my racket (Aeropro drive) listed under power rather than control for an intermediate player. I wonder why?

Because it's 100 square inches with a very open string pattern and is not very head light. Control racquets are traditionally heavy, headlight and have denser string patterns.

JackB1
11-15-2011, 02:04 PM

Because the APD is a very powerful racquet. The Pure Storm would lean more towards control.

2ManyAces
11-15-2011, 02:35 PM
My Babolat Pure Storm GT was under Control... I dunno bout you guys but I'm pretty sure it's a power racquet. For me at least

Fuji
11-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Because it's 100 square inches with a very open string pattern and is not very head light. Control racquets are traditionally heavy, headlight and have denser string patterns.

Quoted for truth!

The APD is a VERY powerful frame. For the "tweener" category, I don't think I've played a more powerful frame. It's a wicked frame for sure, but not by any means a "control" frame unless you hit with the topspin of Nadal! ;)

-Fuji

Larrysümmers
11-15-2011, 07:23 PM

because these "players" can't control the power

Captain Tezuka
01-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Nice however when you narrow it down it seemed that it really narrows it down to only a few racquets. This I hope is to help chosing racquets easier. But I would like a bit more of a selection. Generally good work.