PDA

View Full Version : Prince EXO3 Graphite MP Setups

pheonix6579
08-12-2011, 12:49 AM
just recently acquired a couple of these frames. Just looking for something to play around with. I was just curious what some people found to be a decent set up for this frame. The specs are right up my ally, with the exception of balance. Also curious if anyone has any insight on any major differences between the EXO3 Graphite and the Tours (Ozone or EXO3).

Happy hitting!

brownbearfalling
08-12-2011, 01:24 AM
I can't comment much on the difference between the prince tours and the EXO3 graphites but I can say that you should definitely take advantage of the interchangeable ports of the Prince graphite. My racquet that I received came with the ports. I bought a set of the hole grommets and found those to suit my taste a lot better.

As for strings, I just used my regular set up of full polyester strung at low tension because of the small headsize. I own the midsize version.

pheonix6579
08-12-2011, 02:01 AM
I think I will try and use the hole grommets. I remember preferring them a great deal more when I used the rebel as my main stick. How low do you go?

tata
08-12-2011, 05:29 AM
The graphite MP is WAY different to the exo tour. Played the graphite before. Loved the plow through and stabilty. Balls were struck with authority and no balls were too hard to handle. Then cames the SW and balance issue for me. I'm very skinny and at probably just a 3.0-3.5 level at most.

Now using the exo tour the frame obviously feels a lot more manuveurable and quicker through the air. The head will feel 'empty' due to the balance change and SW. I guess you need to work a bit harder to get the racquet through the ball. The graphite kind of does the work for you once you start swinging.

Though they are very different frames they both volley nicely. The graphite is more solid and stable. The tour obviously is quicker and better for doubles exchange. I would prefer the grpahite for singles for serve and volley. When you volley with the graphite its about putting away that short ball or floating ball from a weak reply.

topspinlob
08-12-2011, 09:46 AM
I used to play with POG OS. Now I play with EXO3 Graphite MP. I always wanted to play with a smaller head size ( helps with volleys). I didn't like the balance of the EXO3 Graphite MP. I tried to customize it to the weight and balance of the POG. I added about 20 grams of lead at about 6.5" up the handle. I used the TW tool to determine that.

I have two of the rackets. I finally was able to weigh them and check balance of them at tennis shop. They weighed around 12.6 ounces with 6 pt's HL (includes overgrip) using the analog scale. They had a digital scale and they weight around 346 grams=12.2 using that.

I really like how they play. There is so much plowthrough on these rackets.

Also, I installed the string grommets. I didn't like the muted feel of the ports.

pheonix6579
08-12-2011, 09:05 PM
Yea I have to say the one thing that I really miss since I switched to the Ozone Tours from my Rebels is plow through. The only modifications I had was about 5g of lead in the head spread from about 9-3. I think I will try one setup with quite a bit of lead in the handle (though I will have to get more lead).

Looking at the customization tool, i think i will be adding about 20g like you did at the top of the handle.

shogun90
08-13-2011, 03:51 PM
I just strung my graphite w/ports with BHBR 17g (57#) mains x Ashaway Dynamite 17g (53#) crosses. Total weight is 342 grams. Haven't had a chance to hit it yet.

pheonix6579
08-13-2011, 10:19 PM
I think as far as stringing goes, I have a pack of Black5Edge that I might use. Right now my main string of choice is BHBR (just only have a few packs left and I plan on saving them for my Tours with a few tournaments coming up). Probably string one with the B5E @ 56/54 to get a baseline. Might try a hybrid with the other. Thinking about Beast @57/ PSGD @54.

themitchmann
08-14-2011, 01:57 AM
I think as far as stringing goes, I have a pack of Black5Edge that I might use. Right now my main string of choice is BHBR (just only have a few packs left and I plan on saving them for my Tours with a few tournaments coming up). Probably string one with the B5E @ 56/54 to get a baseline. Might try a hybrid with the other. Thinking about Beast @57/ PSGD @54.

I've been putting Beast@58/Lightning Spin@60 in one of my student's racquets and he loves it. Not the most durable set up, though.

pheonix6579
08-14-2011, 02:18 AM
I've been putting Beast@58/Lightning Spin@60 in one of my student's racquets and he loves it. Not the most durable set up, though.

Humm...will have to give that one a try since I have both of those. Might drop the tension a pound or two. If nothing else it would be a CRAZY SWEET looking string job at least :).

themitchmann
08-14-2011, 02:41 AM
Humm...will have to give that one a try since I have both of those. Might drop the tension a pound or two. If nothing else it would be a CRAZY SWEET looking string job at least :).

It does look really nice.

pheonix6579
08-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Strung one up today with Beast 16g #57/ Lighting XX Spin 16g @55. Just bouncing a ball around feels like a pretty solid combo at isn't too stiff. Looks absolutely wonderful as far as string jobs go. Hope to go and hit tomorrow, baring rain. Really looking forward to comparing them to my Tours.

Live Wire VS
08-18-2011, 04:20 PM
After many failed attempts of finding a replacement/backup for my Prince Graphite Comp 90, I had decided to settle with the EXO3 Graphite 93. In comparison with the POG 93, it's significantly more flexible even at a flex rating of 63 which suits my old game coming from a Graphite Comp. But while its flex suits my game and wrist, the EXO3 93 is slightly more head heavy (perhaps b/c the beam is also thicker) than both the POG and Graphite Comp, which somewhat slows down my swing speed. The Tours from what I know are extremely head-light and flexible, but too much flex in my game takes away the small power potential that's needed to handle returns. Overall the Graphite is wonderful racquet for someone who wants a plush feel and still want some power potential.

Since my EXO3 Graphites are demos, I still have them strung with its factory Recoil 16 strings at about 55lbs. Recoil strings feel very much like Wilson NXT strings but once they wear away, they feel very stiff. After they break, I plan on restringing them with Original Synthetic Gut/with Duraflex as I had with my Graphite Comp. I had tried Gamma TNT2 16s before and while people say that they are soft/friendly, they are certainly stiffer than the Original Synthetic Gut strings for my taste.

pheonix6579
08-18-2011, 04:56 PM
I would suggest anyone try Lighting XX Spin. The few other times I have used it I have been pleased. Pretty soft IMO. and give just enough pop for my game. Also as a side note, look really nice in almost any frame.

jmjmkim
08-18-2011, 06:11 PM
The Graphites, especially the MP 100's seem to have extremely large sweet spots. After using the 100's you do not want to go anything bigger. I tried hitting with my POG 110's afterwards and it was like a trampoline.

pheonix6579
08-20-2011, 11:58 PM
So I took this frame out for a spin today. Again I am reminded on how wrong I can be when I think how a frame will play just by looking at the specs. When it came to my Ozones I was pleasantly surprised, however, the Graphite MP was a different story.

Just looking at the specs I expected a some what similar experience to my Tours: Same head size, string pattern, about the same weight, about the same beam width, same length, etc. The only major diff was string tension (which was a bit tighter on the Graphite), balance, and a few points in stiffness. Now I was expecting a bit more pop due to the higher SW and stiffness. TOTALLY not the case. The frames were much lower powered than I imagined that they would be, maybe one of the lowest powered frames I have played with in a while. Even with the open string pattern, spin wasn't produced as easy as I would have liked

pheonix6579
08-21-2011, 12:09 AM
I am not yet totally giving up on this frame yet. I will give it a few more weeks and a few more outings.

With this knowledge in mind, it has really altered what i thought my customization route would be. First off, I will plan and drop string tension to from #57/55 to #52/50 to maybe get a little more pop. My original thought of 20g of lead in the handle might be scaled back to about 10-12g to help preserve some of the head balance (maybe even adding a few grams to the head to increase plow-through that I didn't really find).

whomad15
08-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Even the POG OS is more headlight than the exo3graphite100

I felt like the exo3graphite93 was stiffer and actually more low powered than my POG mid, but mine's a 4stripe which may make the difference between it and the current tour version, even with lead added my POGmid is lighter feeling.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm currently repainting a 100 that I got on the big auction site in very scratched condition for $25. Fluorescent green with a stripe like a reversed POG, but with really bright green lol.

pheonix6579
08-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Well just strung the other frame w/ Big Ace 18g at 50/48. Here is hoping for a better experience.