PDA

View Full Version : Leading up a YT Prestige: should I worry about paint coming off?

dadozen
08-12-2011, 04:08 AM
I just got my new YT Prestiges and I'm thinking about using a bit of lead tape to increase stability. Of course, before installing it under the CAP grommets I'll test the best locations and quantity in the inner hoop, but I was just wondering if anyone had problems with paint coming off while removing the lead tape. After all, I'm aware that the pj quality of the YT racquets is not the greatest.

Thanks!

Adidas_Anderson
08-12-2011, 04:30 AM
I just got my new YT Prestiges and I'm thinking about using a bit of lead tape to increase stability. Of course, before installing it under the CAP grommets I'll test the best locations and quantity in the inner hoop, but I was just wondering if anyone had problems with paint coming off while removing the lead tape. After all, I'm aware that the pj quality of the YT racquets is not the greatest.

Thanks!

There is kind of a coat only on prestiges.... which is transparent....
first few times is ok... just use all the sticky part of the lead...:oops:

Big Tigger
08-12-2011, 05:39 AM
Before you find the right spot(s), make your tests with regular scotch tape or something and for sure the painting won't damage. Once you are done, then glue on the lead tape(s) definitely.

And also you need to try Spin X strings with this fine frame!

:)

BT

movdqa
08-12-2011, 06:13 AM
I'm going to remove some of the lead tape from the inner hoop on my tgk238.4s (Pro Stock Prestige) and will post if there are any problems. It seems to me that there's a layer of clearcoat on these frames. I haven't seen any reports of problems with lead tape on these frames before.

dadozen
08-12-2011, 06:46 AM
Thanks! Will be waiting for your feedback!

BT, I'll stick with the thinner strings with the Prestige;)

Fuji
08-12-2011, 07:28 AM
Only on the holographic paint!!! I put some lead at 12 and sure enough, right on the big old head logo, some of that holo paint comes RIGHT off with tape. I noticed it on all my sticks with the shinny paint, including Babolat, Head, and Dunlop. It just doesn't agree well with the glue!

-Fuji

dadozen
08-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Thanks Fuji! I might try placing the lead tape outside the frame, on the CAP grommets, to test the best locations. After finding the right spots, I place the lead under the CAP grommets.

Fuji
08-12-2011, 08:30 AM
For sure!!!

I didn't want you to suffer the same mistake I did LOL! It makes the paint job kind of look like garbage now, unless I decide to try and do some touch ups. It's really not the most durable paint, although it looks good.

-Fuji

movdqa
08-12-2011, 09:56 AM
I just took off 2x8x1/4 inches of lead off the Pro Stock YT Prestige MP and there was zero damage to the paint and decals. I used my fingernails to gently lift the lead tape up.

dadozen
08-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks movdga! Have you placed( and then removed ) lead tape on the HEAD logo, @ 12, as Fuji did?

HiroProtagonist
08-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Only on the holographic paint!!! I put some lead at 12 and sure enough, right on the big old head logo, some of that holo paint comes RIGHT off with tape. I noticed it on all my sticks with the shinny paint, including Babolat, Head, and Dunlop. It just doesn't agree well with the glue!

-Fuji

I had the same happen to me on a YTKPMP, but the person I bought it from had put vinyl tape under the lead tape for some reason, holographic "HEAD" paint came off at 12 o' clock so do be careful.

scotus
08-12-2011, 10:30 AM
I would think that the use of a hair dryer would help you remove the lead tape without damaging the paint.

movdqa
08-12-2011, 10:43 AM
> Thanks movdga! Have you placed( and then removed ) lead tape
> on the HEAD logo, @ 12, as Fuji did?

Yes, it was over the HEAD decals @ 12.

BTW, this particular frame is a Pro Stock version - I do not know whether there is a difference in paint/decals between the Pro Stock and Retail frames. I would guess not but I don't know for sure.

What we modders need is a hobby shop with an electronic paint matcher for touch-up work. I have a bottle of touch-up paint for my car (which interestingly is very close to the dark red color on the YTPMP) and having something like that for racquets might be interesting.

Two KPS88s that I bought from another board member had a fe knicks on the throat - these were caused by his wedding ring when he cradled the racquet. I used a black Sharpie pen to touch up those spots. Black is pretty easy to fix.

Alzer
08-12-2011, 02:06 PM
I have pro stock TGK238.5s and retail YTPPs - the lead tape pulled parts of the "HEAD" hologram sign off at 12 on the TGK but didn't on the retail version.

I think the retails have a thicker lacquer than the TGK - another way to make the TGKs lighter.

quest01
08-12-2011, 04:42 PM
I tried 2 layers of 3 inch strips of lead tape at the 12 o'clock for two matches and removed it without any issues with paint coming off. Now I use 2 layers of 5 inch strips of lead tape at the 3 and 9, I plan on staying with this setup on the YT Prestige.

movdqa
08-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Perhaps the brand of lead tape makes a difference too. I use Gamma from TW.

I've experimented with 11 - 1 but I think that I prefer 3/9 for now. There is lead under the CAP grommet at 12 but I'm not going to take it off to play with it. I prefer just playing around with the inner hoop.

hrstrat57
08-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Perhaps the brand of lead tape makes a difference too. I use Gamma from TW.

I've experimented with 11 - 1 but I think that I prefer 3/9 for now. There is lead under the CAP grommet at 12 but I'm not going to take it off to play with it. I prefer just playing around with the inner hoop.

Agree 100% here.....gamma is the best, easy to cut and no worries.

3/9 on yt prestige MP is perfection IMHO! Just put it inside the hoop and leave the cap alone, easy peezy lemon squeezy!

Adidas_Anderson
08-12-2011, 05:27 PM
For sure!!!

I didn't want you to suffer the same mistake I did LOL! It makes the paint job kind of look like garbage now, unless I decide to try and do some touch ups. It's really not the most durable paint, although it looks good.

-Fuji

Its a shame that once o put that on,its not my lover anymore hahahaha

DeShaun
08-12-2011, 05:37 PM
You don't have to worry about it. But be aware that when I removed lead tape from mine, that "gorgeous" Prestige Paint Job was excoriated. Inside the hoop at twelve o'clock. Maybe be careful where you put your lead tape.

movdqa
08-12-2011, 06:01 PM
I just did some googling for clear coat paint and it appears that you can get it in a spray can for about $6 or that you can buy stuff that you can paint on.

It might make for an interesting product for TW to sell and provide directions on how to use it. I personally don't care that much if there's some damage to my frames from lead tape. I buy them to use them and they are going to get nicked and scratched. BTW, these are for frames that I use - I'm doing a bit of dabbling with collecting now and I'm undecided about whether to use those or not.

tennisnut09
10-11-2011, 05:39 AM
hrstrat57-----can you help. I see you have 4'' of lead tape @ 3 & 9 on your youtek prestige mp on other post. Are those 1/2 or 1/4??? thanks!

movdqa
10-11-2011, 06:24 AM
I've done quite a bit more modding on my three Prestige MP paintjobs and have not had any paint issues at all. The three frames have 32 inches of lead tape in the hoop now as I've moved the lead from the inner hoop to the outer hoop under the CAP grommets.

hrstrat57
10-11-2011, 04:54 PM
hrstrat57-----can you help. I see you have 4'' of lead tape @ 3 & 9 on your youtek prestige mp on other post. Are those 1/2 or 1/4??? thanks!

What you see is 1/4 in.....

I buy the 1/2 gamma lead from TW and cut it very carefully with extremely sharp sewing scissors.....

With the Babolat leather grip adding equiv weight I feel the racquets maintain the overall balance Head intended. I play them just as you see in the pics, no overgrip and o ring dampeners.

They play amazing, never getting pushed around and the lead opens up the sweet spot a bit too.

Give my setup a try, highly recommended.

Good luck.

Fuji
10-11-2011, 05:49 PM
What you see is 1/4 in.....

I buy the 1/2 gamma lead from TW and cut it very carefully with extremely sharp sewing scissors.....

With the Babolat leather grip adding equiv weight I feel the racquets maintain the overall balance Head intended. I play them just as you see in the pics, no overgrip and o ring dampeners.

They play amazing, never getting pushed around and the lead opens up the sweet spot a bit too.

Give my setup a try, highly recommended.

Good luck.

Why do you cut the 1/2 in half? I noticed a lot of people do it! Isn't it just easier to get the 1/4 already cut???

-Fuji

hrstrat57
10-12-2011, 03:03 AM
Why do you cut the 1/2 in half? I noticed a lot of people do it! Isn't it just easier to get the 1/4 already cut???

-Fuji

Don't recall 1/4 was avail last time I purchased it, I just looked and TW has the 1/4 in in stock now.

Good call.

AlpineCadet
10-12-2011, 02:43 PM
YES, especially at 12 oclock. The foil comes off easily.

Marcus2137
10-13-2011, 01:26 AM
Ya, the paint is pretty touch but the shiny stickers that say "Head" at 12 oclock, and Prestige on the base of the hoop are a little more fragile. Not as bad as the ones on my IG Speed, but you should still put some Scotch tape on them first before putting lead right on them. I had some lead at 12 oclock on my Prestige and it came off without any issues, but I've heard that if you leave the lead tape on for awhile, or use certain brands of lead tape, it will definitely pull the stickers off.

kybb
10-13-2011, 05:24 AM
I have not tried this before but it should be logical to use hairdryer to heat up the glue under the lead and it should come off more easily. Same thing method is used when taking stickers of from car paint and same thing is used when removing head pallets.

tennisnut09
10-13-2011, 06:00 AM
Thanks to hrstrat57

dadozen
10-13-2011, 06:33 AM
Well, just as an update, I tried lead tape @ 12, inder the CAP grommets, and when I decided to take it off it indeed removed some of the paint. Since it's under the grommets, no problems there. But when I tried lead tape @ 3&9, decided to try it on the cap grommets, outside the frame, to avoid the risk of ruining the gorgeous pj.

esgee48
10-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Hay guys, borrow your GF's clear nail polish and apply a single coat over the decal. That should protect it from the lead's glue.