PDA

View Full Version : Anyone played TW's POG Mid 93 as well as the TW PS85?

MAXXply
08-12-2011, 06:29 AM
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's played both the current TW POG 93 Mid as well as the reissued Pro Staff 85. Did you think there were any broad similarities between them or are they totally different sticks despite their mutual old skool heritage?
I like - and am settled with - the POG's 66 stiffness rating and I'm wondering if the PS85 stated flex of 62 will play too soft for my liking (I like the 4D 100's flex as well, which is listed 63) From what you guys are saying, the PS85's maneuverability is great so I'm not worried about that.

I can't think of a better classic buy at $129 for the POG Mid but for 20 bucks more might the BLX-buttcapped PS85 be an even better bang for the buck?

praetorian909
07-12-2012, 04:40 PM
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's played both the current TW POG 93 Mid as well as the reissued Pro Staff 85. Did you think there were any broad similarities between them or are they totally different sticks despite their mutual old skool heritage?
I like - and am settled with - the POG's 66 stiffness rating and I'm wondering if the PS85 stated flex of 62 will play too soft for my liking (I like the 4D 100's flex as well, which is listed 63) From what you guys are saying, the PS85's maneuverability is great so I'm not worried about that.

I would like to know as well. I demoed the PS 85 recently and it was pretty good, but I wasn't able to hit with much power, less so than with my own K90 I was comparing against.

I've hit with a POG 107 (I think, forget how many stripes) and it was pretty decent. I could really plow through the ball, no doubt due to the 13+ oz weight.

I think I may demo the POG93 and PS85 next time together. If I do, I will definitely let you know my thoughts.

mad dog1
07-12-2012, 06:13 PM
my favorite PS85 is the latest PS6.0 BLX. the other versions i've hit with are chicago, taiwan and earlier china versions. i haven't hit w/ the SV yet.

the chicago is too heavy and stiff. the taiwan and earlier china versions are maneuverable, but also a bit stiffer so they don't pocket the ball the way the latest release does. i can tell they're all from the same lineage, but i easily hit the best w/ the latest version. i'm stringing my PS w/ soft full poly between 44-46#s.

i've played w/ the POG Tour mid. it's too harsh and brassy for me. and i break strings like crazy in that 14 x 18 string pattern.

praetorian909
07-12-2012, 06:53 PM
my favorite PS85 is the latest PS6.0 BLX. the other versions i've hit with are chicago, taiwan and earlier china versions. i haven't hit w/ the SV yet.

the chicago is too heavy and stiff. the taiwan and earlier china versions are maneuverable, but also a bit stiffer so they don't pocket the ball the way the latest release does. i can tell they're all from the same lineage, but i easily hit the best w/ the latest version. i'm stringing my PS w/ soft full poly between 44-46#s.

i've played w/ the POG Tour mid. it's too harsh and brassy for me. and i break strings like crazy in that 14 x 18 string pattern.

Thanks for the input! Hmm interesting, so when I demoed recently I tried out the PS85 vs. the PS6.0 BLX vs my K90 (US-version). The PS85 and PS6 both swung noticeably lighter than my K90, which I kinda think I like. My hitting partner said I hit weaker with the PS85, and I even tried to unload on big forehands. The PS85 still felt the most maneuverable of the 3 even though the swing weight is about the same as the PS6 (I think?). It really did feel like a scalpel with awesome accuracy. Though the demos were strung higher than I normally use--I think I like ~52 lb best.

I'm curious to hear more of your thoughts of the PS85 vs. the PS6.0 BLX.

mad dog1
07-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the input! Hmm interesting, so when I demoed recently I tried out the PS85 vs. the PS6.0 BLX vs my K90 (US-version). The PS85 and PS6 both swung noticeably lighter than my K90, which I kinda think I like. My hitting partner said I hit weaker with the PS85, and I even tried to unload on big forehands. The PS85 still felt the most maneuverable of the 3 even though the swing weight is about the same as the PS6 (I think?). It really did feel like a scalpel with awesome accuracy. Though the demos were strung higher than I normally use--I think I like ~52 lb best.

I'm curious to hear more of your thoughts of the PS85 vs. the PS6.0 BLX.

the PS 6.0 BLX has a 320 SW whereas the K90 SW is around ~330 so yeah, it's gonna swing lighter. all of my hitting partners say i hit a heavy penetrating ball w/ the PS 6.0 BLX. not much drop off in spin production. the one area where the PS 6.0 isn't quite as good for me vs bigger headsizes, is when scrambling & hitting defensive shots. they often land short as it isn't as easy to keep these balls deep when i can't get my full weight into the shot.

i really like the PS6.0 BLX because it's got a bit of flex. i generally like racquets with a bit of flex because it offers better pocketing. the Taiwan PS85 and the early China PS 6.0s don't have this flex. granted i've tried all the PS at the same tension. 46# feels so perfect in the re-issue version. since the taiwan and early chinas are stiffer, i should probably try it at 44#s to see if that helps the feel and pocketing. the other reason why i like the re-issue is that the sweet spot just seems so much bigger than the others and the feel is just so very smooth. the taiwan and early china versions are buttery smooth if you can hit the smaller sweetspot consistently. if i'm outside of the sweetspot, it can feel harsh and brassy.

you gotta try the PS 6.0 BLX in the high 40# range if you have a CP machine. it just feels incredible. my latest string experiment is w/ VS Team (non BT7)/Lux Alu Power at 50/46 strung on a CP machine using my modified JC method. this is just the best feel ever.

MAXXply
07-13-2012, 02:16 AM
It's been months since I originally posted, heck, almost a whole year...The POG 93 is definitely my default go-to stick. A faster feeling frame allround. The BLX PS85 is, for me, simply too much to handle despite its adequate maneuverability and sufficient headlightedness. For me, it's one to breakout when playing the oldies for a bit of hit-n-giggle.

I'm not sure if it's been remarked before, but the BLX 85 seems a totally different mold to earlier incarnations? It seems 18mm and hence about the same boxy-ness as the current BLX PS95?

mad dog1
07-13-2012, 10:12 AM
It's been months since I originally posted, heck, almost a whole year...The POG 93 is definitely my default go-to stick. A faster feeling frame allround. The BLX PS85 is, for me, simply too much to handle despite its adequate maneuverability and sufficient headlightedness. For me, it's one to breakout when playing the oldies for a bit of hit-n-giggle.

I'm not sure if it's been remarked before, but the BLX 85 seems a totally different mold to earlier incarnations? It seems 18mm and hence about the same boxy-ness as the current BLX PS95?

well, the mfg variances between sticks is pretty large. it's possible that your BLX PS 6.0 was on the heavy side of the specs particularly the SW.

i've got the taiwan and earlier china PS85s and the BLX 85 is of the same mold. the feel is slightly softer and flexier, but there's no mistaking it comes from the PS85 family.

leroy_sunset
07-18-2012, 08:24 PM
The POG 93 is definitely my default go-to stick. A faster feeling frame allround.

I think I saw you mention having an EXO3 Graphite Mid. How does it compare to the new POG 93?

I like the EXO3 Graphite Mid with the ports. Good head speed (I like headlight frames), good weight, good feel. It could use a tad more power in my book, but I just string lower tension and that helps. Just wondering how the POG compares.

sansaephanh
07-19-2012, 01:00 AM
a pog with ports sounds pretty sexy... I might have to pick up one... OH NOOO racket addiction strikes again =[

Cup8489
07-19-2012, 05:52 AM
a pog with ports sounds pretty sexy... I might have to pick up one... OH NOOO racket addiction strikes again =[

save yourself the trouble, the exo3 tour had very little in common with the POG. higher swingweight, 16x18 pattern, and no ball feel unless using the hole inserts.. I didn't care for it at all.. but that's because I liked that raw feel that the POG gives you.

jorel
07-19-2012, 06:02 AM
i would say the pog plays like wat the tour 90 should have played like

practically i would go with the pog but if you want to suffer like sampras did at the french open... then go with 6.0 85

MAXXply
07-19-2012, 06:42 AM
I think I saw you mention having an EXO3 Graphite Mid. How does it compare to the new POG 93? I like the EXO3 Graphite Mid with the ports. Good head speed (I like headlight frames), good weight, good feel. It could use a tad more power in my book, but I just string lower tension and that helps. Just wondering how the POG compares.

Very observant of you :) Yes, I did also own the "Hulk Green" EXO3 Graphite Mid 93. It was misplaced/stolen from me one day at my club and you know what? I didn't feel too angry or sad about losing it.
It a was nice frame and playable enough but I hated the flattened gripshape a la HEAD/Volkl - it was definitely not the familiar blocky Prince/Wilson shape. The 19mm boxbeam's squared-off edges (more squared-off than the POGs) provided a great uniform feel that I'm addicted to and the supposed 63 flex was perfect for me. The 93sq.in head was perhaps a tad rounder than the more oval POGs. Overall, I'd have loved it more if the headshape was more conventionally oval and the gripshape blockier. The TW POG to me was a noticeably tail-heavier, easier-swinging frame. It just felt faster to move all round. Definitely rapier-like, as compared to say, the EXO3 Mid's clubby feel.

Cup8489
07-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Very observant of you :) Yes, I did also own the "Hulk Green" EXO3 Graphite Mid 93. It was misplaced/stolen from me one day at my club and you know what? I didn't feel too angry or sad about losing it.
It a was nice frame and playable enough but I hated the flattened gripshape a la HEAD/Volkl - it was definitely not the familiar blocky Prince/Wilson shape. The 19mm boxbeam's squared-off edges (more squared-off than the POGs) provided a great uniform feel that I'm addicted to and the supposed 63 flex was perfect for me. The 93sq.in head was perhaps a tad rounder than the more oval POGs. Overall, I'd have loved it more if the headshape was more conventionally oval and the gripshape blockier. The TW POG to me was a noticeably tail-heavier, easier-swinging frame. It just felt faster to move all round. Definitely rapier-like, as compared to say, the EXO3 Mid's clubby feel.

Agreed on the clubby feel of the Exo3. I was a big fan of the prince graphite line, owning the POG, the TT Graphite, and the NXG graphite (all mids), and was intially ecstatic about the introduction of the exo3 graphite because the graphite name had disappeared from prince once they introduced o-ports..

but it was just too hulky for me, It swung much heavier than I felt it should have, and it didn't give as big of a ball as I anticipated it to, nor did it have the raw connected feel that POG's have with the ball (to be fair, the NXG was as disconnected as you can get, and when i picked it back up and hit with it recently, I wondered aloud how I ever played with such a dead feeling stick).

leroy_sunset
07-20-2012, 06:16 PM
I heard the TT Graphite and the NXG Graphite were basically trash. Prince tried to improve the sweet spot size with the ports of the EXO3, and I think it helps. I didn't like the hole inserts AT ALL.

Yes, it feels like a club. My team captain this year described it as a "2x4."

I will have to get a POG 93 to see how it stacks up.

UCSF2012
07-20-2012, 11:09 PM
I heard the TT Graphite and the NXG Graphite were basically trash. Prince tried to improve the sweet spot size with the ports of the EXO3, and I think it helps. I didn't like the hole inserts AT ALL.

Yes, it feels like a club. My team captain this year described it as a "2x4."

I will have to get a POG 93 to see how it stacks up.

Oh, don't underestimate the triple threats. Those rackets came out before polyester strings. I took out my TT and strung it with gut/poly. ....as much topspin as Nadal, and that's without lead tape at 12. Give it a retry with modern strings.