PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for arm incomforts with Wilson Hammer 6.3

Hidious
08-13-2011, 06:55 PM
One of the ladies taking lessons with me is having some issues with a developing tennis elbow with a Wilson Hammer 6.3. Her therapist told her it was because her racket was too old (more than 5 years old) which i personally think is not an issue at all. However, i feel like the 6.3 is on the stiff side just from hitting a couple of balls with it. It is strung with a soft multi.

Any "modern" suggestions to replace her trusty Hamer 6.3? I thank you in her name.

mrtrinh
08-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Its because the hammer 6.3 is a light head heavy stiff racket. I am also 100% positive its the frames she's using. I use to play with the 5.3 back in high school and my doubles partner played with the 6.3. I would have her look into the ntour series. Its the only frame I know that's quite similar to the hammer series that's rather flexible.

tennis-kid
08-13-2011, 10:59 PM
I would rather recommend to change soft arm friendly racquet. Wilson racquets are quite stiff basically. Most arm friendly one is Volkle Organix, Prince EXO3 tour, and Pro Kennex. I had arm/ wrist problem and I switched from Wilson Hammer to Volkl and Prince.

pheonix6579
08-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Yea i like the suggestion of the Wilson Tour series, if she wanted to stay with the same grip shape and all that jazz. Yonex also makes a few great options as well.

Hidious
08-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Hello guys, thanks for the inputs. I just found the specs of the 6.3 and it was listed on TW with a swing weight of 342! I can't believe this petite lady is playing with a racquet that swings heavier than my Dunlop 200s which are quite bulky, even for me. And i'm a male in his twenties.

Of course i know the stiffness leads to arm problems but can anybody confirm that head heavy balance is also a factor? What about the swing weight?

Thanks for the suggestions again.

mikeler
08-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Hello guys, thanks for the inputs. I just found the specs of the 6.3 and it was listed on TW with a swing weight of 342! I can't believe this petite lady is playing with a racquet that swings heavier than my Dunlop 200s which are quite bulky, even for me. And i'm a male in his twenties.

Of course i know the stiffness leads to arm problems but can anybody confirm that head heavy balance is also a factor? What about the swing weight?

Thanks for the suggestions again.

Head heavy is not arm friendly. High swing weight is fine for people who are strong enough to handle it, sounds like your lady friend might not have enough strength for it, so that could aggravate the arm too but more likely in the shoulder area on serves.

hrstrat57
08-14-2011, 01:15 PM
My daughter ripped up her shoulder playing that racquet.......

She'd been playing a bag full of Yonex SRQ 500's for quite some time and I came across a couple of 6.3's mint and she hit them in practice for a week intoxicated by the immediate bump up in power and pace, especially on the serve......and the frames put her on the sidelines for a month with shoulder pain.

That thing serves bombs but tell your friend to ditch it quick IMHO.

She went back to the SRQ's and the problem never came back ( tho the SRQ's are leaded up at 3/9 and have leather grips to bump up the weight a bit)

Light racquets can lead to disaster. Head heavy lightweight racquets like the Hammer 6.3 could be a fast track to injury.