PDA

View Full Version : Need a shoe recommendation for 12/B feet

Posture Guy
08-14-2011, 09:32 AM
I've got long, narrow feet. Just getting back to the game after an 8 year absence. Fortunately my old New Balance 801s are still in amazingly good shape. Didn't dry out or stiffen up and they look relatively new, must've just bought 'em before I stopped playing.

but man, these things are heavy. I don't think anyone else but NB makes shoes with an actual B width, but I know some shoes are built on fairly narrow lasts, just not sure if they're narrow enough to actually fit a b width. Have had some success in the past with nike, and I have a pair of adidas golf shoes that fit reasonably well, but I need a much more accurate fit for tennis than for golf.

looking forward to any recommendations, thanks.

Dags
08-14-2011, 12:45 PM
I stopped playing for 10 years, and when I returned donned a pair I'd bought not long before I stopped. They looked and felt fine, but started coming apart after a couple of hours - the glue had perished.

Yours might be fine, but keep an eye on them in case they fail.

Posture Guy
08-18-2011, 03:01 AM
just bumping this. Is there anyone on here with b width feet that has found a shoe they thought fit well they'd recommend?

Jim A
08-18-2011, 06:04 AM
look at NB as they offer in multiple widths...otherwise some stock shoes that run very narrow are the CB 3.3, especially in the forefoot

Posture Guy
08-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Hi Jim,

as I said, I'm currently using NB shoes. They only make one model in a b width (their 800 series shoe), and frankly, while I find the shoe functional I also find it heavy and ugly. I really don't want to order another pair of them. They make a number of other tennis shoe models but only this one in a b width.

my usual problem with narrow shoes is less in the forefoot and more in the heel where I'll get some 'slop'. I tried on the Barricuda 6s and they felt pretty good, though the heel felt a tad loose. Tried a few Nike models, they didn't fit as well as the Barricudas.

thanks for the recommendation on the 3.3s, I'll see if I can find someone who stocks them so I can try them out before ordering.

fuzz nation
08-23-2011, 06:36 AM
Not sure if my foot is quite a B width - haven't measured it in forever - but it's narrow and rather flat. I've found my way in recent years to Asics. Their Gel Resolution has earned the company some rave reviews for comfort, cushioning, and performance, but my research led me to believe that it was cut for more of a medium to wide sort of foot.

Asics also offers the Gel Challenger and Gel Game. I'm pretty sure that both are better for a more narrow foot, but I only have experience with the Gel Game. For me, this shoe is light, more than comfortable, and its durability has been much better than expected given its somewhat "scaled down" construction.

I like having a couple pairs of shoes in service at the same time so that I can let one set dry out completely while using the others - I'm actually rotating three pairs of Gel Game 2's right now. Given their super-reasonable price tag, it's obviously a lot easier to stock up on the Gel Games compared with other models from Asics and especially the pricey Barricades, so bonus points for that I guess.

Of course all of this is wonderful... just so long as those shoes fit your feet well, right?

Douggo
08-23-2011, 07:54 AM
I switched from the 800 series to mi adidas Barricade V customs (narrow width) and have been pleased. Of course, they cost twice as much, so they'd better be good. Not sure that they're any lighter than the NBs, though.

Posture Guy
08-23-2011, 09:55 AM
thanks guys.

I'll have to try to find some Asics to try on.

re Adidas, looks like I can buy the Barricade 6s here for $110 or customize them at the adidas site for $150. Not cheap, but if they fit......

I tried on a pair of the 6s at a local store here and they seemed like they might be ok in their standard width. Heel was a tad loose, but the rest of it felt snug. Feedback is that the shoe is pretty narrow to begin with, a lot of people with wide feet apparently have trouble with it. My concern is if I go with the regular width, after I break them in will they be too loose? And if I go with the custom narrows, will those be too narrow? Would hate to pay $150 for something I can't use.

Winners or Errors
08-23-2011, 05:05 PM
What about Nike CB 3.3's? They're rather narrow. My foot is B/C width and they fit me much better than the standard B6, which I find too wide in the front. Of course, they're also pretty stiff, but I haven't found it to be a problem since they fit.

Posture Guy
08-23-2011, 06:04 PM
thanks, I'll try to find a pair of those to demo as well.