PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Pure Storm Tour + vs Wilson BLX Blade 98?

TennisNinja
08-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Anyone have feedback on comparing these 2 rackets? From short demo periods these are the 2 rackets I've narrowed it down to, but I'd like to see if anyone else has experience comparing these to. Also it's the extended version of the PSGT, not the regular length one. Thanks!

FriarTuck
08-14-2011, 08:24 PM
I don't have experience comparing the two, but I recently purchased the BLX Blade 98 and I really like it. Some people have complained about the light feel or excessive power, but I think it's just the right balance. The swing weight is really nice and you can really get some pop while maintaining spin as well. Anyways... just my $0.02.

slice bh compliment
08-14-2011, 08:26 PM
My experience is that the PSTour + is a truly great racquet, especially if you take the buttcap off, saw off about a half an inch from the bottom, then re-attach the buttcap. You get the benefit of the 27 inch length, but you also get the benefit of the little plus sign on the throat.

Truly a RILF.

The Blade 98 is not bad. Just a little less solid feeling than the PSTours.

colan5934
08-14-2011, 10:52 PM
The Storm Tour + would be my stick of choice, but the extra length gave me tennis elbow for some reason. I use the standard length tour at the moment, but if my arm could take it, I would switch to the plus in a heartbeat. So much power and it's easily accessible. I haven't hit the Blade 98 in a while, but I remember that it was quite stable for a lighter player stick. To me, it didn't excel in any certain area, but it did not lack anything either. It was the K-Factor, not the BLX you asked about.

TennisNinja
08-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Alright thanks guys.

2Hare
08-15-2011, 09:30 PM
PST+ has really high swingweight of almost 350 g and have hot spots probably due to its low stiffness. Blade98 goes through air so much faster and feels quite solid. So I would go with either blade98 or PST (none +)

ben123
08-16-2011, 04:17 AM
i posted it yet and i will do it again...

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-bin/plowthrough.cgi go look at the specs of this test racquet its nowhere near 350sw

i dont think the pstgt+ has a sw of 349

DonBot
08-16-2011, 05:44 AM
The Storm Tour + would be my stick of choice, but the extra length gave me tennis elbow for some reason. I use the standard length tour at the moment, but if my arm could take it, I would switch to the plus in a heartbeat. So much power and it's easily accessible. I haven't hit the Blade 98 in a while, but I remember that it was quite stable for a lighter player stick. To me, it didn't excel in any certain area, but it did not lack anything either. It was the K-Factor, not the BLX you asked about.

Yeah I tried the tour plus for a while too and that racquet is totally awesome but just absolute murder on the arm. It is really odd, since I can play the pdr+ without any problems and that is a way stiffer frame.

2Hare
08-16-2011, 06:45 AM
i posted it yet and i will do it again...

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-bin/plowthrough.cgi go look at the specs of this test racquet its nowhere near 350sw

i dont think the pstgt+ has a sw of 349

I think that's the number for unstrung weight. i've owned the racket, it goes through the air quite a lot heavier than ps90. compare that to aero pro or pure drive you'll feel like you are wielding a hammer.

ben123
08-16-2011, 07:12 AM
I think that's the number for unstrung weight. i've owned the racket, it goes through the air quite a lot heavier than ps90. compare that to aero pro or pure drive you'll feel like you are wielding a hammer.

how could it be unstrung specs when the weight is 337g and balance is 31,4
and not only that, if it would be unstrung spec of 323 it would be strung like 363 which isnt anywhere near 350 either lol

TheOneHander
08-16-2011, 07:21 AM
and not only that, if it would be unstrung spec of 323 it would be strung like 363 which isnt anywhere near 350 either lol

Lolol th xtra lngth encreeses th swngwht lol.

It rly dosnt tayk dat mutch xtra ffert 2 typ mor coheerunthlee

ben123
08-16-2011, 07:29 AM
Lolol th xtra lngth encreeses th swngwht lol.

It rly dosnt tayk dat mutch xtra ffert 2 typ mor coheerunthlee

:confused:

10 ???

2Hare
08-16-2011, 12:58 PM

Do you own this racquet? I'm just saying it swung a lot heavier than the spec would suggest. Feels like it has a lot of drag plus weight.

slice bh compliment
08-16-2011, 01:56 PM
As important as feel...
I know swingweight is an issue. But what's the difference in drag weight between the two?

ben123
08-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Do you own this racquet? I'm just saying it swung a lot heavier than the spec would suggest. Feels like it has a lot of drag plus weight.

yup i own this racquet

colan5934
08-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Yeah I tried the tour plus for a while too and that racquet is totally awesome but just absolute murder on the arm. It is really odd, since I can play the pdr+ without any problems and that is a way stiffer frame.

I have not found the same as you with the Roddick, it's just too stiff for my shoulder, but i think that the PSTGT+ causes me arm pain because it has such a high swingweight. I can play with the POG Longbody just fine (I am not sure of the swingweight on it). For those of you saying it can't be a 350 swingweight, I have to disagree. I've not measured it because I only had a demo for 6 days, but it swung much heavier than my customized Volkl DNX 10 Mid which was measured at 342 SW, and the Volkl felt quite heavier than my PSTGT (not +) demo. Just my take on it. Swing style may play a part in this as well, or maybe the racket was just heavier than it should have been from the factory. We know that quality control from most companies is sometimes flawed to a point also.

rooski
08-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Out of curiosity...Why are you comparing a "+" racket to a standard length racket? I've played with both standard length versions of these rackets and find them to be VERY different. IMO...BLX Blade98 = baseliner 2HBH racket vs. the more traditional and hefty all court PST. I prefer the PST but I like heavier rackets. While the Blade98 is solid feeling, it's still about 1 oz lighter than the PST. One of mine weighs 349g strung and the other 350g. The actual swing weights of the PST and BLX Blade 98 are similar.

BigM
08-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Anyone have feedback on comparing these 2 rackets? From short demo periods these are the 2 rackets I've narrowed it down to, but I'd like to see if anyone else has experience comparing these to. Also it's the extended version of the PSGT, not the regular length one. Thanks!

If you have watched the TW Review of the BLX Blade 98 you will get a good sense of what the racket is about. Its very stable , crisp and has great plough-thru. I was using the PST GT's for quite sometime and I found hitting the flatter ball quite tough. The PST GT has a softer almost spongy feel whilst the blade has a more crisp feel off the string-bed. The BLX blade has quite a high SW which set me back for a few weeks until I could adjust my game to suit. I much prefer the BLX Blade 98 as it is very stable and it offers a bit more "Put Away" potential. Maybe Wilson's best racket from the current range.

2Hare
08-16-2011, 08:55 PM
If you have watched the TW Review of the BLX Blade 98 you will get a good sense of what the racket is about. Its very stable , crisp and has great plough-thru. I was using the PST GT's for quite sometime and I found hitting the flatter ball quite tough. The PST GT has a softer almost spongy feel whilst the blade has a more crisp feel off the string-bed. The BLX blade has quite a high SW which set me back for a few weeks until I could adjust my game to suit. I much prefer the BLX Blade 98 as it is very stable and it offers a bit more "Put Away" potential. Maybe Wilson's best racket from the current range.

Good comparison, that is exactly how I feel about the two rackets. Except I think Blade98 goes through air much faster than pure storm tour+.

adso1973
08-17-2011, 06:33 AM
Hi All, recently I found myself with the same question, PST or BLXBlade98, without testing and after reading many posts and reviews I went to the BLX as I got a very good deal with it.
After 4 matches, I can say its a pretty nice stick, confortable with a great combination of power, control, weight and plow. Power level might be a little more than what I like, but it allows to hit deep without effort and move to an attack position on defensive shots.
I'm happy with it and to my surprise it is helping me to recover from my TE (Strung with RPM mains and addiction 54/52). I would like to test it with full poly once my arm is fully recovered to give my final comments on it.
So, Nice Frame, Feel great from baseline and serving. Hope that helps.

TennisNinja
08-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Out of curiosity...Why are you comparing a "+" racket to a standard length racket? I've played with both standard length versions of these rackets and find them to be VERY different. IMO...BLX Blade98 = baseliner 2HBH racket vs. the more traditional and hefty all court PST. I prefer the PST but I like heavier rackets. While the Blade98 is solid feeling, it's still about 1 oz lighter than the PST. One of mine weighs 349g strung and the other 350g. The actual swing weights of the PST and BLX Blade 98 are similar.

I'm not really sure, but I hit with the + PST and ended up really liking it actually. I didn't have any trouble adapting to the added length and enjoyed the extra pop.

I just need to compare these 2 side by side more later I guess but just wanted to see comments from other people too.

Thanks everyone else I'm leaning towards the Blade because I can get it a lot cheaper though.

NetNinja68
05-11-2012, 07:47 AM

I've demoed both, but prefer the BLX Blade. I could kick myself in the butt for not buying it in the past and instead for some strange reason, purchased the Head Speed 315. I've demoed the Blade with both a fully bed of multi's and poly and loved it with 17 gauge poly best! It is an awesome stick, as it has an incredible amount of control and impressive power along with a razor slice. Buy it and in a couple weeks your game will explode!

okdude1992
05-11-2012, 10:54 AM
personally i like the pure storm tour (regular length). it has a little more pop from the open string pattern, the weight is just right so I don't have to lead it up, and the feel is a little more plush for me. also it helps my serve. The blade is also a very good stick, but less spin and pace off the closed string pattern. The racket it too light for me stock so I lead it up. also wilson's QC sucks so no two of these are ever the same :( finally the stick is a little stiff imo, especially weighted up to my spec.