PDA

View Full Version : Racket grip problem!!

850beast
08-14-2011, 08:59 PM
So I bought a racket with a 1/8 grip and it is way way too small. If i put like three over grips on it looses its rectangular shape. How do can I increase the grip size and still be able to feel the bevels? Please help

zapvor
08-14-2011, 09:11 PM
theres this product called shrinkwrap heat sleeve. google it. basically it allows you to build up a grip

mrtrinh
08-14-2011, 09:12 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-SLEEV.html

850beast
08-14-2011, 09:35 PM
so will the bevels still be as pronounced with the shrink wrap?

flashfire276
08-14-2011, 09:38 PM
So you need to bulk up 2 grip sizes...
Anyways, overgrip bulks up about 1/2 of of size, or 1/16. So in order to reach your 3/8 grip size, you'll need 4 overgrips. Doesn't sound too good.

Sure, you can get a bunch and overlap them. But overgrip is really expensive if your purpose is to build up grip size. And since there's ridges, it may not form the best handle in the end. And you're gonna lose a lot of bevel feel.

My suggestion, go out to Walmart or Target, and get yourself some athletic tape. They go for like $3 for a giant roll. Take off your actual base grip on your racquet so you get a bare foam handle. Wrap a couple layers of athletic tape on the handle (I would suggest 5 layers in your case). Put your grip on, then your overgrip, and you're good to go!

Saved you some time.

brownbearfalling
08-14-2011, 09:53 PM
What gripsize do you want?

I wouldn't use more than one heat shrink sleeve since they weigh a little more than the foam material. And with 2 heat sleeves you are going to lose the bevels. So if your gripsize isn't comfortable after using 1 heat shrink sleeve + 1 thick replacement grip (Wilson Shock Sheild) + 1 thick over grip (Prince dura og) than you should try to exchange your racquet for a different size. Try the classifieds section. Keep in mind: Head, Volkl and Boris Becker racquets can have their gripsizes changed by changing pallets. So you might be in luck.

850beast
08-14-2011, 10:00 PM
What gripsize do you want?

I wouldn't use more than one heat shrink sleeve since they weigh a little more than the foam material. And with 2 heat sleeves you are going to lose the bevels. So if your gripsize isn't comfortable after using 1 heat shrink sleeve + 1 thick replacement grip (Wilson Shock Sheild) + 1 thick over grip (Prince dura og) than you should try to exchange your racquet for a different size. Try the classifieds section. Keep in mind: Head, Volkl and Boris Becker racquets can have their gripsizes changed by changing pallets. So you might be in luck.

I think bringing it up to a 1/4 size will do. so will one shrink sleve still keep the bevels pronounced? I just cannot without the bevels. Is everybody like that?

mrtrinh
08-14-2011, 10:32 PM
I think bringing it up to a 1/4 size will do. so will one shrink sleve still keep the bevels pronounced? I just cannot without the bevels. Is everybody like that?

YES!

10 char

ATP100
08-15-2011, 02:41 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-SLEEV.html

Easy Answer: This

And This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1WVM5WKzns&fmt=18

sepidoel
08-16-2011, 11:50 AM
I had similar problem myself (needed 4 3/8, got 4 1/4). I found applying 1 good replacement grip was better than having multiple overgrips. Mine was felt like having 1 size up plus an overgrip afterward.