PDA

View Full Version : YT Prestige: pj problem

dadozen
08-15-2011, 06:26 AM
Just got 3 brand new YT Prestige MPs last week( on wednesday ), and played a few with each one of them already. No abuse at all.

But the pj is already chipping off by itself, especially on the big HEAD logo, at the top of the racquet - close to the grommet holes.

I have heard and read about pj problems with the YT racquets, but I would never imagine that it could be so extreme. Each racquet has like 1h of regular use. I haven't even shanked the ball at that part of the racquet.

I'm really happy with the racquets, but I'm guessing that with 3 months or so they will look like they have been beaten up by an extreme abusive player.

movdqa
08-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Do you have pictures?

I believe that the HEAD letters at 12:00 are decals - are these peeling off or flaking off? BTW, just to be sure - you bought these from TW, right?

There's a general comments/complaints forum here that TW watches - maybe you could post your problem over there along with pictures of what you are experiencing. There might be a bad batch or something.

dadozen
08-15-2011, 07:32 AM
Actually, they are flaking off, kinda paint chips. It doesn't bother me much, as long as it doesn't ruin the whole pj, which is beautiful.

I dont live in the US, so I bought them locally, from a reputable store, so they are not fake.

I just wanted to share this, and check if it's a common problem in the YT Prestige line( maybe other YT lines too ).

cmendez79
08-15-2011, 07:41 AM
I had the same problem with my Youtek Prestige MP, i added lead teap at 12 oclock and when i took it off some of the letters came off, so after a couple months virtually all the word "HEAD" was off.

vsbabolat
08-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Yes, it is a very common problem. The decal at 12 o'clock at the inside of the hoop that says HEAD in silver comes off little bit. It is not paint chips. It appears they apply that decal after the varnish or clear coat is applied.

dadozen
08-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Thanks guys. Did you feel any weight difference? I mean, 0.5g less at that part is 2 pts less in the SW.

vsbabolat
08-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Thanks guys. Did you feel any weight difference? I mean, 0.5g less at that part is 2 pts less in the SW.

No. It is only a decal. You can't feel the difference.

Doubles
08-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Hey, VS is this common on other HEAD rackets, too? Because I have noticed this happening on my Radicals...

dadozen
08-15-2011, 09:11 AM
No. It is only a decal. You can't feel the difference.

Thanks man! The good thing is that the only part I don't like about this pj is the HEAD logo.:D I hope it doesn't look too bad when everything comes off:lol:

royfrombigd
08-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Just got 3 brand new YT Prestige MPs last week( on wednesday ), and played a few with each one of them already. No abuse at all.

But the pj is already chipping off by itself, especially on the big HEAD logo, at the top of the racquet - close to the grommet holes.

I have heard and read about pj problems with the YT racquets, but I would never imagine that it could be so extreme. Each racquet has like 1h of regular use. I haven't even shanked the ball at that part of the racquet.

I'm really happy with the racquets, but I'm guessing that with 3 months or so they will look like they have been beaten up by an extreme abusive player.

I do think the PJs on the Youteks are not as good as the Microgel or even the FXP lines. I had my Microgels forever (both Prestige and Radical) and never had any issues with chip, flakes etc. On the YT Prestiges I have, I am noticing some various dings, flakes etc. in a pretty short period of time and I'm very meticulous with my racquets. Are they using a different paint, primer or finishing???? No complaints about the play though.

protenniskid
08-15-2011, 12:25 PM
I have the same problem. I treat my racquets very well. Never had any problems like this when I used the MG radicals but now with the youteks, a lot of the paint is chipping off.

un6a
08-16-2011, 12:48 AM
My prestige is about one year old and there are not any paint chips yet, even
at the Head logo area. I do not use lead tape though.

racquetfreak
08-16-2011, 06:35 AM
i have some tgk paint jobs that have developed cracks in the paint. i would expect that the paint on the pjs may not be as stable as those of retail racquets.