PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop 300 Tour

nadalex
08-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Just added 4 grams of lead at inbetween 10-11 and 1-2 and let me just say that its hitting a much much heavier kick serve and all around shot

nadalex
08-15-2011, 05:45 PM
please share your lead setups on the 300 tour and suggestions also

Limpinhitter
08-15-2011, 06:19 PM
8g of 1/2 inch tape under the grip, and 4g of 1/4 inch tape in the hoop at 10 and 2. It could probably use another 4g in the hoop.

TheBoom
08-15-2011, 06:29 PM
3 inches at the biomimetic 300 tour part of the hoop around the 2-10

nadalex
08-15-2011, 06:45 PM
8g of 1/2 inch tape under the grip, and 4g of 1/4 inch tape in the hoop at 10 and 2. It could probably use another 4g in the hoop.

thats pretty similar to my setup because mine also has a leather grip installed instead of the lead

TheBoom
08-15-2011, 07:10 PM
Whats the leather do for it?

Pneumated1
08-15-2011, 07:17 PM

I think this is a good call. At first, I only had 4 grams at 3/9 but eventually went to 8-10 grams from 1/11 down to 4/8. For the 300 Tour, all the lead you can handle in the hoop is the best advice. However, from what I've learned about my game since putting down this racquet, I would have weight in the throat, on the bridge, at 5/7, and up through 2/10, but that would be most suitable for me. Whatever your style of play, and wherever you need to distribute the weight to accommodate that style, 8-10 grams should be a good start---in the hoop.

thats pretty similar to my setup because mine also has a leather grip installed instead of the lead

And although I had a counterweight of around 10 grams under the top of the grip, I now realize that a leather grip would have been optimal for this racquet.

Pneumated1
08-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Whats the leather do for it?

I would guess on average that it adds approx. a 1/2 an oz. over the stock synthetic. It also increases stability, and arguably, feel. But perhaps most importantly for me, it distributes the weight more evenly, as opposed to isolated weight in one area. Leather isn't for everyone, though, obviously.

Limpinhitter
08-15-2011, 08:00 PM
I would guess on average that it adds approx. a 1/2 an oz. over the stock synthetic. It also increases stability, and arguably, feel. But perhaps most importantly for me, it distributes the weight more evenly, as opposed to isolated weight in one area. Leather isn't for everyone, though, obviously.

Yeah, I like the feel of a couple of Wilson overgrips instead of leather. Even when Tourna Grip was the only option, I took off my leather grips and put on a couple of Tourna Grips to get the size back up to 4 1/2.

Anyway, I put 4 strips of 1/2 inch wide tape, 4 inches long, on the 4 widest bevels of the handle, from the edge of the buttcap upward, and wrap my grips over that. So, 16 inches of 1/2 inch tape = 8g. It's widely and evenly distributed, but, not quite as much as a leather grip.

un6a
08-16-2011, 01:16 AM
I started with 6g at 2&10, but later shifted it to 3&9 to gain better manuverability. I may also try only 4g at 2&10 and see if it is stable enough.
I also have 9g at handle (evenly distributed).

Lavs
08-16-2011, 04:07 AM
4g along the hoop from 10 to 2.
8g under the leather grip eventually distributed.
it plays like a rock.

Bartelby
08-16-2011, 04:22 AM
Would just 2 grams from 10 to 2 work sufficiently well for those who don't want a 320 gram unstrung racquet?

TheBoom
08-16-2011, 06:48 AM

I'll have to try it, i love leather but i hate paying 10 bucks for a grip. And what generation do you guys use?

Pneumated1
08-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Anyway, I put 4 strips of 1/2 inch wide tape, 4 inches long, on the 4 widest bevels of the handle, from the edge of the buttcap upward, and wrap my grips over that. So, 16 inches of 1/2 inch tape = 8g. It's widely and evenly distributed, but, not quite as much as a leather grip.

I used to do that with my old 300G's: 1/2" strips as high as the grip would cover on the four, flat sides. Then I'd stack 8-10 grams at 3/9, with two layers of head tape over the whole bumper. The stick was an appendage after about four years!

Would just 2 grams from 10 to 2 work sufficiently well for those who don't want a 320 gram unstrung racquet?

Two-four grams on this particular frame at 10/2 would be especially ideal, considering it's "weakness" in the upper hoop. And such a small amount would work well if you have no intention of modding the handle at all with lead or a leather. The hoop is where the weight is vitally needed.

I'll have to try it, i love leather but i hate paying 10 bucks for a grip. And what generation do you guys use?

I demoed the Bio. Tour a month or so ago. I used 4 grams of lead at 3/9 with the stock grip, and the frame played remarkably well. The consensus seems to indicate otherwise, but I think this upgrade trumps the 4D in almost every respect, playing much bigger closer to stock. Just for you to think about before you shift the balance too far towards the handle, needing a lot more weight in the hoop to maintain a reasonable balance.

Oh, I almost forgot. I use the TW leathers, but I've heard good things about Volkl and BB leathers, as well.

ghia
08-16-2011, 12:23 PM
I just bought a 4D 300 Tour. I play it stock (overgrip and dampner obviousely), factory strung with dunlop explosive string around mid to high tension. The feel in the sweet spot is great but every little hit outside it is mute and dead.
What is your favorite string setup?:)

nadalex
08-16-2011, 12:28 PM
I just bought a 4D 300 Tour. I play it stock (overgrip and dampner obviousely), factory strung with dunlop explosive string around mid to high tension. The feel in the sweet spot is great but every little hit outside it is mute and dead.

try black mamba penta twisted at 47 lbs and add 3-4 grams of lead at 1 and 11 or 10 and 2

thats exactly how my racquet felt before i tried poly at low tensions and added lead

Bartelby
08-16-2011, 12:50 PM
You're not the first to mention this. Does weight help with off centre hits enough?

Lavs
08-16-2011, 02:01 PM

in stock form 4D300 Tour is hardly playable. 4g in the hoop + leather + 6-8g along the handle + Soft & Power Poly (TF PLII or Tourna BHBR) @ 48 = rock solid & sweet feeling stick.

PS. I would also recommend to try Natural Gut @ 53 to increase power.

dr325i
08-16-2011, 02:08 PM
PS. I would also recommend to try Natural Gut @ 53 to increase power.

really? ;)

ghia
08-16-2011, 02:39 PM
If I got it correctly, BHBR = Tourna Poly Big Hitter Blue Rough
but what is TF PLII ?:confused:

Lavs
08-16-2011, 02:45 PM
really? ;)

I just discovered it on this weekend :)

But I would not encourage you to use thicker than 16g gut.
15L had no feel for me.

Lavs
08-16-2011, 02:46 PM
If I got it correctly, BHBR = Tourna Poly Big Hitter Blue Rough
but what is TF PLII ?:confused:
Sorry!!!.. Kirschbaum ProLineII

ghia
08-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Sorry Lavs, just saw your racquets in the "post pictures of..." thread and understood you were reffering to the Kirschbaum ProLine No II in fact ! True ?

Lavs
08-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Sorry Lavs, just saw your racquets in the "post pictures of..." thread and understood you were reffering to the Kirschbaum ProLine No II in fact ! True ?
Yes, that is true.
I was using Kirschbaum ProLine II 17g until recently.. felt really nice. Now I decided to give Tourna Big Hitter Blue Rough a try.

tom4ny
11-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Add me to the Dunlop Bio 300T club. This frame does everything for well for me and offers great control along with the right amount of power. I love it's balance and whippiness and feel that it is very stable given it's weight. Mine is strung with Iso Control at 56/53. This is probably my next frame but I have not yet pulled the trigger 100%. Still love my red stars. The Bio 300T is more stable and a bit better on the elbow.

Gasolina
11-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Interested to hear what the swingweight of everyone's leaded Bio 300T

Torres
11-18-2011, 11:26 AM

The 300 Tour is 320g strung.

I quite like the 300 Tour series but its too insubstantial in stock form and plays better with another 16g-20g in the hoop and handle.

ART ART
11-18-2011, 03:31 PM

nice

Cheers

Torres
11-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Good to see that there's another person who prefers a weighted up, more solid feeling racquet!

Pneumated1
11-19-2011, 08:02 AM
I had just found an amazing setup on my 4D 300 Tours before I went to the London. Sometimes I still question the switch, but both frames work well for me. Anyway, I had always hit the 4D 300 Tour with 8 grams at 3/9, at least one layer of head tape over the entire bumper, and 10 grams on the pallet. For me, the 4D Tour was unplayable stock, but anywhere from 14-24 grams of lead made this frame magical, imo.

What I found just before selling them was that stretching either 8-12" of 1/4" tape from 1/11 down towards/through 4/8 or 5/7 complimented the frame in every aspect. I wish I had tried this setup with my head tape and a leather or Gamma Hi Tech grip, instead of lead on the pallet. This was a great frame with this setup. In fact, I'd say it's one of the best sticks I've played from the aspects of serve, backhands (especially slice) and from the mid-court into net.

Demoing the Bio. 300 Tour over the Summer, I thought that the Bio. was a better upgrade in almost every way. In the hand it felt more substantial stock. And while I only hit it with 4 grams at 3/9, I thought that its stability was far superior to the 4D. I would probably still put 6-8 grams of weight on the Bio. Tour from 1/11 or 2/10 down through 3/9 or 4/8, with either a leather grip or my heavy synthetic. I sense that that frame with that setup would be a monster, and if I wasn't hitting the London, it would probably be the one I would play; no question. The 300 Tours, properly modified, are some of the most unique frames on the market, imo.

Edit: I just realized that I had previously posted much of this information on the previous page. Sorry for the redundancy, but it's probably worth repeating.

tom4ny
11-19-2011, 11:06 AM
I had just found an amazing setup on my 4D 300 Tours before I went to the London. Sometimes I still question the switch, but both frames work well for me. Anyway, I had always hit the 4D 300 Tour with 8 grams at 3/9, at least one layer of head tape over the entire bumper, and 10 grams on the pallet. For me, the 4D Tour was unplayable stock, but anywhere from 14-24 grams of lead made this frame magical, imo.

What I found just before selling them was that stretching either 8-12" of 1/4" tape from 1/11 down towards/through 4/8 or 5/7 complimented the frame in every aspect. I wish I had tried this setup with my head tape and a leather or Gamma Hi Tech grip, instead of lead on the pallet. This was a great frame with this setup. In fact, I'd say it's one of the best sticks I've played from the aspects of serve, backhands (especially slice) and from the mid-court into net.

Demoing the Bio. 300 Tour over the Summer, I thought that the Bio. was a better upgrade in almost every way. In the hand it felt more substantial stock. And while I only hit it with 4 grams at 3/9, I thought that its stability was far superior to the 4D. I would probably still put 6-8 grams of weight on the Bio. Tour from 1/11 or 2/10 down through 3/9 or 4/8, with either a leather grip or my heavy synthetic. I sense that that frame with that setup would be a monster, and if I wasn't hitting the London, it would probably be the one I would play; no question. The 300 Tours, properly modified, are some of the most unique frames on the market, imo.

Edit: I just realized that I had previously posted much of this information on the previous page. Sorry for the redundancy, but it's probably worth repeating.

It is a great and informative post, thanks for repeating :) I am planning to experiment with some lead and will try your suggestions! I have been playing with some different frames over the past 10 or so weeks and have settled on the Bio 300T as my next frame. Appreciate your input!!

westpac690
11-19-2011, 12:15 PM
The 300 Tour is 320g strung.

I quite like the 300 Tour series but its too insubstantial in stock form and plays better with another 16g-20g in the hoop and handle.

I just did a demo of a number of different racquets including the Bio 300 tour. I was so impressed with that DEMO racquet that I ordered one. The demo(4 1/2grip) comes in at 324g strung with Prince syn gut with duraflex. The one I just bought is 4 5/8 and comes in at 328g strung with 17g Babolat syn gut.

No mods needed for the one I just bought(not counting the Sampras dampener). I hit with it a few times so far, and it's as solid as one could as a tennis racquet to be. I plan on doing an extended review of the Bio 300 tour, and the other demos in a thread a started a few weeks back.