PDA

View Full Version : 8 year old racket, should I upgrade?

Govnor
08-16-2011, 08:48 AM
First thread for me! Have gotten the tennis bug again in the last couple of months after a lay off of several years.

I'm somewhere between a 3.5-4.0 and play with a Wilson Hammer 6 (Serena used it, black/white). I bought it probably in 2003.

I'm wondering if a new racket is worth looking into in terms of the progression of technology. I'm OK with the Hammer 6, but if a new racket added something that it cannot, then it's something I would consider. I have no experience with any other racket in recent years though, so just looking for thoughts on if a new racket would likely add something extra to my game?

Thanks!

big bang
08-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Forget about technology its just sales gimmicks and nothing else!

Say Chi Sin Lo
08-16-2011, 12:37 PM
No? Do you know how many people play with 10-20years old frames and live by them?

VGP
08-16-2011, 03:10 PM
If you like your Hammer 6 and it's in good playable shape, invest in some good instruction from a qualified teaching professional.

I'll take a lesson and really pay attention to what works and what doesn't work. Getting the feel of adjusted stroke mechanics. I've benefited from lessons far more than any racket change could make.

BTW, the racket I use is going on 27 years old.

tampa_edski
08-16-2011, 03:36 PM
If you like it, use it. I use a 20+ year old Prince often (30% of the time or so)...

When I got back into playing a few years ago I kept gravitating to the Prince, and demo'd several sticks. Take your time is my advice.

SteveI
08-16-2011, 05:15 PM
I would get a few lessons and ask for some advice from that pro on a modern frame. The odds are that if you plan to compete at the 3.5/4.0 range most of the players will be swinging a Pure Drive..Pure Drive type "Impact/Modern Frame". Demo a few that match your skill set, handspeed and stroke style. Do some off-court training, get some really good footwear and go for it. While a new frame will not in most cases really improve your game that much, picking the wrong frame and string set-up can hurt your progress. The Hammer 6 is not old.. but there are much better frames out there these days and your racket selection might not have been correct in the 1st place.

Also, ask yourself these questions.. who picked the Hammer 6? Was it you? Did a professional help you with the selection? Do I have a long or short stroke? Do I swing fast? Do I have nice hand/eye skills?

Good luck in your quest.

jmjmkim
08-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Save money. Times are tough and getting tougher. Strings and balls, we have no control . . . but if you still hit well with your racket, keep it.

jmjmkim
08-16-2011, 05:47 PM
But then again, I bought a lot of new rackets since I took up tennis again 3 yrs ago.

Let's see .....

2 of Rebel
2 of EXO Graphite 100
2 of EXO Graphite 93
1 of Ozone Pro Tour
2 of Turbo Shark (donated to my friend who recently took up tennis)

Hmmm..... well, why don't you try and demo a few to see......

jmjmkim
08-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Oh. who am I kidding! BUY, BUY BUY !!!!!

jmjmkim
08-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Even if you don't play better, at least you know you can't blame the racket.

Timbo's hopeless slice
08-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Oh. who am I kidding! CONSUME CONSUME CONSUME!!!!!

Fixed it for you :)

ATP100
08-16-2011, 11:46 PM
8 year old racket, should I upgrade?

Easy Answer: NO

Put in new string, get used to tennis again, (strokes, fitness, time)
you will know when, don't get the bug too early.

brownbearfalling
08-17-2011, 12:18 AM
If your skill, style of play, and physical attributes are the same as when you played with the hammer 6, then there would be no reason for you to go into the market for a new racquet. instead there are plenty of other things that you could invest on: a good pair of stennis shoes, tennis string and grip, and other accessories that you might need like clothing, dampner, tennis bag etc.

here are some reasons that you would have to consider buying a new racquet: your current racquet causes injury, you racquet is broken, you racquet does not suit your game (too light or too powerful; too heavey; etc), you want a stiffer frame (most modern frames are stiffer), our friends are laughing at you and it is hindering your reputation.
otherwise playing with your old racquet may be beneficial in that you might get back your muscle memory from before and re kindle your love for the game

Magnetite
08-17-2011, 06:30 AM
Play with the old racket unless you have arm problems, or get significantly better and need a more control oriented racket.

fuzz nation
08-17-2011, 07:51 AM
Forget about technology its just sales gimmicks and nothing else!

Yep, that's always the first thing I want to offer when I see someone mention "upgrade". Lots of great racquets were produced well before your current option.

Don't fix what isn't broken. If you're curious to try some other gear, that's 100% fine - many among us have enjoyed the demo program available through TW. Just don't go crazy. Lots of racquets you try won't be right for you, but there's also the issue of adjusting to a different frame whenever we decide to make a gear swap.

Sample things here and there, but don't get too excited if you try something and it feels like your personal Holy Grail. If it's still right after two or three different outings, then you're probably on to something.

Forgot to ask: Is there something lacking in your current frame that you might want from something else?

Govnor
08-18-2011, 10:40 AM
There is nothing I'm specifically lacking to be honest. I"m not a big guy, so there are times I feel my serve is lacking some pop, but apart from that not a whole lot.

I did invest in new shoes, strings etc for my re-entry in to playing Tennis. So I feel I've got everything I need right now. Was just wondering if a new racket made any sense as I have not played with a newer one than the one I have.