PDA

View Full Version : Stick with Babolat Aeropro Drive GT or change to Wilson BLX Six One Tour or other?

jmtee
08-17-2011, 01:53 AM
Hi Everyone,

I've been playing tennis for 10 years now. I'm a big Fed Fan and an all court player. I was finding an upgrade to my over sized(106 sq inch) prince racquet. Therefore I was looking at either Federer's or Nadal's racquet. Then i bought Nadal's as they said that Fed's racquet is heavy and hard to maneuver. The spin, power i'm getting at Nadal's racquet is great. Control so2x. My complain is the stiffness of the racquet. After a few strokes my wrists are kinda irritating.

Upon testing Fed's racquet, everything seemed MORE controlled, solid and precise(groundstrokes, serves and volleys). The only complain about Fed's racquet is sometimes i can't reach the ball due to its headsize.

So is it best to switch to Fed's racquet or just stick to Nadal's racquet first and wait for Fed's new racquet next year(as rumors say)?

Yveskim89
08-17-2011, 02:23 AM
i guess you should demo first... dont pick a racquet by merely being a FED fan..or by pros... the best thing to do is demo it... if you cant demo... try a racquet that would be less demanding and should able to maximize your game... its about racquet that helps and not just by loving the way it looks...

schap02
08-17-2011, 03:27 AM
Hi Everyone,

I've been playing tennis for 10 years now. I'm a big Fed Fan and an all court player. I was finding an upgrade to my over sized(106 sq inch) prince racquet. Therefore I was looking at either Federer's or Nadal's racquet. Then i bought Nadal's as they said that Fed's racquet is heavy and hard to maneuver. The spin, power i'm getting at Nadal's racquet is great. Control so2x. My complain is the stiffness of the racquet. After a few strokes my wrists are kinda irritating.

Upon testing Fed's racquet, everything seemed MORE controlled, solid and precise(groundstrokes, serves and volleys). The only complain about Fed's racquet is sometimes i can't reach the ball due to its headsize.

So is it best to switch to Fed's racquet or just stick to Nadal's racquet first and wait for Fed's new racquet next year(as rumors say)?

there's a HUGE difference between Nadals frame and feds frame, its not the same as say going from the 6.1 95 to the 6.1 tour, this is just my opinion of course but if you really want to decide between the two, demo them and see, if it's me I would wait for feds new frame to see if they do in fact make it a 93 since you say sometimes you have trouble getting to the ball

quest01
08-17-2011, 06:13 AM
Both racquets are very different, if you fit the criteria of being at least a 4.0 rated player or higher and have an all court game then you meet the initial requirement of using the BLX90 if not I would stick with the APDGT instead. The APDGT is for all levels of play while the BLX90 is generally designed for 4.0's and higher. I would choose a racquet you play your absolute best with not one dependent upon your favorite player.

Power Player
08-17-2011, 06:16 AM
What strings are you using? I have a APDGT as well and I find it very comfortable with a hybrid setup.

The next question is - do you win with the APDGT? I play more consistent tennis with it, so I always seem to end up having one in my bag.

I hit with heavy topspin and a 2hbh, and I can tell you that while I loved the K90 a lot, I did not win much with it.

That type of racquet is one you use because you have used them your whole life. Not because you like Fed and want to switch sticks.

FriarTuck
08-17-2011, 06:33 AM
I also demoed the Fed racket and liked it, yet I found it to be beyond my skill level. A good alternative might be the Wilson BLX 6.1 95, as it has a larger head and sweet spot yet it still has some of the characteristics of the Fed racket (and looks a lot like it).

I agree that the Fed an Nadal rackets are on different planets.

Boricua
08-17-2011, 11:25 AM
if you like to hit spin, stay with the APD. The best combination so far for me is Polyfibre TCS 17 gauge at 50 pounds. I just recently started using it and it softens the APD very much.

jmtee
08-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for the reply. I think i will stick first to the APDGT and see if i really need more on power or control. If i need more on control, i'll purchase a more control oriented racquet(Fed's racquet) in lets say 1-2 years time.

sandiegoman
08-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Keep you racquet and maybe try different strings.

gplracer
08-18-2011, 04:37 AM
I have had both. Currently I have the blx90. The Babolat has tremendous spin potential but it hurt my inner elbow for some reason. That is the only time in my life that my elbow has hurt. I might still have it otherwise. Another good racket is the blade blx 98. I would also suggest that you maybe try a higher string tension.