PDA

View Full Version : What am I looking for?

SStrikerR
08-18-2011, 01:31 AM
So basically, I don't know a lot about racquets. I can pick up a racquet, hit for a while, and tell you what I like and don't like about it, but I wouldn't know the source of the problem. Things like balance, swing weight, beam width, etc. It's all greek to me, and I'd like to change that. So if there's anything that you think someone should know about racquets, or just tips in general about them, I'd love to hear them.

Anyway, onto what I'm looking for.

Right now I'm using the wilson blx 95 18x20 with a full bed of alu rough @ 50lbs. I hit flat pretty much all the time, but I'm working on my net game and if all goes well, I'll be utilizing that part of the game a lot more. After all, what's the point of hitting great approach shots if you can't finish the point easily? Anyway, I have mixed feelings about the blx.

Control: I definitely feel like I have good control with it. No complaints there.

Power: I do get power out of this racquet, especially with new strings, but I know that I'm not getting quite as much as I'd like. Maybe it's because it's a heavy racquet, I dunno. But I'm looking for a racquet with a little more power.

Serves: Easy to place, but it's hard to generate power with this racquet compared to previous racquets I've tried.

Volleys: Pretty good feel most of the time, although I frame the ball sometimes. So maybe a 100sq in head size for the next racquet I try.

Strings: With new luxilon, I found it really easy to swing hard and still get enough spin to keep the ball in play. I don't have much money to buy strings constantly though, so I was looking for a good synthetic string or something else that lasts a lot longer, so I don't have to worry about it as much. Also, if I string poly at 50, what should I be stringing synthetic strings at?

So if you have any tips or racquet recommendations I'd like to hear them, and thanks in advance.

SStrikerR
08-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Anything??

rdis10093
08-18-2011, 02:40 PM
lux will last longer than syn will. syn will break like in a day

Irony Zealot
08-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Oh my... if polys don't last long enough for you, you can look into Kevlar strings. These won't give you the power you want though. Not that you should be looking for power from a string anyways.

SStrikerR
08-18-2011, 03:37 PM
I don't mean the polys break, I mean that they lose their tension and die.

Irony Zealot
08-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Lol, okay. I'm cheap, so I play with strings until they break.

Your best bet would be a multi or synthetic gut. Since you don't hit with much spin, these will last you longer for you than for heavy spin players, in terms of playability and durability. Multis and synthetic guts hold tension better than poly, thus having a better playability over time. Since you don't play with much spin, the multis/synthetic gut won't saw into each other as much, which is the main reason these kind of strings break.