PDA

View Full Version : mini review: Pacific x-feel 95, exo3 tour 100, Dunlop Bio 200

beeveewee
08-18-2011, 05:59 AM
At the end of a long process of demoing racquets. The common threads with these racquets are swingweight (320ish), softer flex <63, and weight <12oz >11.5oz. Hopefully nearing the end of the road and here's where things stand in ranked order with my subjective ratings:

1. Pacific x-feel 95 (55lb BHBR 17g mains x gosen 17g): Anchors me. Very predictable, crisp, control oriented frame with pop when needed. I can't find any faults with this frame. Love but don't have a crush on it. I'm secretly hoping one of the other frames will win my heart. Actual results from my hitting sessions make it the intellectual choice.
Backhand 9/10
Kick serve 9/10
Flat serve 10/10
Forehand 10/10
Topspin 9/10
Slice 9/10
Volleys 9/10

2. Dunlop Biomimetic 200 (55lb BHBR 17g mains x gosen 17g): Romances me. Svelte. Makes a crushing pop sound when you make clean contact that just... oh baby. Doesn't seem quite as quick as the Pacific, especially noticable on backhands. Felt like I would find a brilliant backhand and spend the next two backhands searching for the timing, then find it again, then lose it. A tad unpredictable whereas the Pacific just seemed steady, could be that the string job is at the low end of the recommended range. Beautiful, pictures don't begin to do it justice.
Backhand 8/10
Kick serve 9/10
Forehand 10/10
Flat serve 9/10
Topspin 9/10
Slice 10/10
Volleys 10/10

3. Prince exo3 tour 100 18x20 (??lb synth 16g): Intrigues me. Soft and smooth baby. Third place with upward potential. Lots of room for improvement. Could try 16x18. Can improve string setup, leather grip, grommets, add weight. Forum discussions indicate that on first session the frame feels great if a little strange but grows on people and really sings with customization. Ugly as sin.
Backhand 10/10
Kick serve 9/10
Flat serve 8/10
Forehand 10/10
Topspin 9/10
Slice 10/10
Volleys 8/10

If I had to order right now it would be the Pacific. I want to string the Dunlop at the middle of its' range to see if I can eliminate some of the unpredictable feeling. I want to demo the Exo3 in 16x18 to see if it is any crisper.

If you have actual experience with any of these frames your perspective would be much appreciated.

sargeinaz
08-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Nice review. The pacific 95 sounds like a nice stick. Keep us updated if your opinions change.

stoble
08-19-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm really enjoying the XForce Pro but wish I could have waited to try out the XFeel.

beevewee, can you compare the Xfeel to the XForce Pro?

tennis-kid
08-19-2011, 02:40 PM
String type and tension on demo racquets make whole thing different. I demoed Prince EXO3 tour 18x16 and it was amazing, so I bought one and stung with Wilson hollow string. It felt not so good compare to demo racquet. Wilson hollow string was not soft at all. I was very disappointed. EXO3 tour 18x 16 is excellent racquet with right multi string.

parasailing
08-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Yeah exo3 tour is a smooth and very plush racquet. The question is what multi and tension should be use on this particular racquet. The more I use this racquet the better it feels. I just have to get regular grommets for it since power holes are a pain in the arse to string.

aggietex08
08-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Third place with upward potential. Lots of room for improvement. Could try 16x18. Can improve string setup, leather grip, grommets, add weight.

When I demoed both Tour string patterns I did not feel that the open string pattern gave any more spin but had more pop and less control.

I am still currently comparing the grommet set ups but think the ports are what I am going to stick with. The more I compare the less I I think they are all that different. I do think I will add weight under the small bumper guard and counter weight.

String type and tension on demo racquets make whole thing different. I demoed Prince EXO3 tour 18x16 and it was amazing, so I bought one and stung with Wilson hollow string. It felt not so good compare to demo racquet. Wilson hollow string was not soft at all. I was very disappointed. EXO3 tour 18x 16 is excellent racquet with right multi string.

I hated the Wilson Hollow core, if that is what you are using. I love my EX03 Tour 18x20 with ISOSpeed Professional classic @60lbs.

tennis-kid
08-19-2011, 03:34 PM
I will never buy wilson hollow string. I ordered a couple of nice multi strings and natural gut :-)

beeveewee
08-19-2011, 07:16 PM
I did hit the Pacific x-force pro. I didn't like the flex profile. The force has the tapered beam which makes the racquet stiffer in the upper part of the hoop. Therefore the flex rating is a bit misleading, it is pretty powerful, much like my friend's old Prince Synergy CTS. The spec's on the the force and the feel are very similar but I think that is misleading. The racquets play very differently, you could best summarize the difference by saying that one is 'force'ful and the other is loaded with 'feel'.

steve260z
08-20-2011, 08:34 AM
"Felt like I would find a brilliant backhand and spend the next two backhands searching for the timing, then find it again, then lose it"

I've felt the same on the 1HBH...Still trying it. One thing though, the 200 Lite just crushes the backhand. Try that if interested.

stoble
08-20-2011, 07:35 PM
I did hit the Pacific x-force pro. I didn't like the flex profile. The force has the tapered beam which makes the racquet stiffer in the upper part of the hoop. Therefore the flex rating is a bit misleading, it is pretty powerful, much like my friend's old Prince Synergy CTS. The spec's on the the force and the feel are very similar but I think that is misleading. The racquets play very differently, you could best summarize the difference by saying that one is 'force'ful and the other is loaded with 'feel'.

Yeah I was thinking they'd be very similar. Thanks for the contrast!

beeveewee
09-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Found AggieTex08 to be spot on with 16x18 vs. 18x20. I chose it over a BUNCH of other racquets.