PDA

View Full Version : Need TE friendly alt to Roddick PDGT

achokshi99
08-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Hi everyone, got back into tennis in 2009 after about 10 years off. Played in college w/the Head Radical Trisys 260 and picked up the roddick pdgt when I got back into playing. I love the racquet, it has a ton of power and it suits my game which is a big serve and heavy topspin FH. I use MSV FH 1.10 and have switched to a few other polys now using BHBR all strung at generally TE friendly tension of ~50-52lbs.

The problem is I'ev been playing more this summer and I have raging TE. I can play at a high level for 1 day but then I need to ice the elbow and take motrin to have a "live arm" so basically 2 days in a row of intense tennis is too much for me. I've tried using multis on the roddick but the racquet just does not play as well as with polys.

Now the TE is spreading into my bicep, basically when I brush my teeth it takes an effort to re-extend the arm. My technique is fine per a pro at a club (i played DII college w/the same technique) so it really is the racquet. I just love what I can do w/this racquet with some fresh bhbr or msv though but at this point I think I need to consider a racuet switch.

Would anyone have any good suggestions for a racquet with as much firepower as the roddick pd that can use polys but won't mangle my arm?

pheonix6579
08-19-2011, 10:22 AM
I had a similar case as yourself. The firepower in the PDR is addictive. The closest thing I found that comes with that much power in an arm friendly package was the Youtek Radical Pro.

pheonix6579
08-19-2011, 10:27 AM
oh and a leaded ProKennex Ki5 was another close second

achokshi99
08-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks, I actually used TW's racquet finder and put in high swingweight and reduced the stiffness level I'd be willing to tolerate (<60) and 16x19 pattern and it kicked out the youtek RP (Murray's stick?). I may demo that one and yeah the roddick pdgt, it's unreal what u can do w/50lb poly in that frame. I always had decent control w/heavy topspin and slice and it really is addictive. Multis dont seem to work well w/the roddick pdgt.

Can you use polys with the YRP?

movdqa
08-19-2011, 10:49 AM
One of Murray's frames is for sale at the strings forum but the price will make you think twice.

I have full poly on the Radical MP and it feels as soft as a pillow though it's leaded to 13 oz. I imagine the RP would be softer. You could always try full poly and then go to a co-poly if it doesn't work out.

Power Player
08-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Pro Kennex 7G with 2-4 grams of lead at 12.

pheonix6579
08-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks, I actually used TW's racquet finder and put in high swingweight and reduced the stiffness level I'd be willing to tolerate (<60) and 16x19 pattern and it kicked out the youtek RP (Murray's stick?). I may demo that one and yeah the roddick pdgt, it's unreal what u can do w/50lb poly in that frame. I always had decent control w/heavy topspin and slice and it really is addictive. Multis dont seem to work well w/the roddick pdgt.

Can you use polys with the YRP?

Yea, polys work well in the frame. BHBR should work well with it being a softer poly. I really liked Prince 3D poly, but that was just me.

TennisMaverick
08-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Hi everyone, got back into tennis in 2009 after about 10 years off. Played in college w/the Head Radical Trisys 260 and picked up the roddick pdgt when I got back into playing. I love the racquet, it has a ton of power and it suits my game which is a big serve and heavy topspin FH. I use MSV FH 1.10 and have switched to a few other polys now using BHBR all strung at generally TE friendly tension of ~50-52lbs.

The problem is I'ev been playing more this summer and I have raging TE. I can play at a high level for 1 day but then I need to ice the elbow and take motrin to have a "live arm" so basically 2 days in a row of intense tennis is too much for me. I've tried using multis on the roddick but the racquet just does not play as well as with polys.

Now the TE is spreading into my bicep, basically when I brush my teeth it takes an effort to re-extend the arm. My technique is fine per a pro at a club (i played DII college w/the same technique) so it really is the racquet. I just love what I can do w/this racquet with some fresh bhbr or msv though but at this point I think I need to consider a racuet switch.

Would anyone have any good suggestions for a racquet with as much firepower as the roddick pd that can use polys but won't mangle my arm?

Need a Roddick PDGT but arm friendly? The Volkl X8 315 was designed specifically to do just that. My team has had a few of their juniors switch, as it plays much softer, and volleys and slices better.

Virtua Tennis
08-19-2011, 06:53 PM

Here's a suggestion stop using poly

goldy0084
08-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Tried any of the Tecnifibre sticks? I heard they were essentially Pure Drive Roddick clones.

Avadia
08-20-2011, 05:19 AM
Here's a suggestion stop using poly

Agreed. The stick can only do so much to help you if you insist on using stiff strings. At the very least, try a gut/poly hybrid.

Bhagi Katbamna
08-20-2011, 08:33 AM
I have tried both Pro Kennex rackets mentioned (Ki5 and 7g) and don't think they are anything like the Pure Drives as far as power. There is one that is supposed to be a clone for the PD which I haven't tried. The volkl pb8 315.

couch
08-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Try the new volkl x8 315 when it comes out. I bet it will fit the bill.

achokshi99
08-21-2011, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. Are volkl sticks in general arm friendly with pop??

TennisMaverick
08-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. Are volkl sticks in general arm friendly with pop??

In the past, no. They addressed that issue with all of the X-line.

The X8 315 was made specifically to go up against the Roddick PDGT. The X8 300, does everything a solid topspin player would want, and with minimal mods, plays awesome(check the threads for the Hominator mods, 1.25 inches at the corners, and 5 inches over the butt. That is .625 grams at each corner, and 2.5 grams over the butt, just below the butt cap where it thins out as a counter balance).

There are 6.5 players who use the APDGT and Roddick PDGT who have switched to the X10 295 and X10 325 respectively, especially those offered contracts(players have these stupid respect issues like hip-hop street thugs--stay outta my grill--and will switch for free frames but not just because they play better)

fuzz nation
08-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Already responded to your other thread and I agree here that the heavier Volkls are probably worth a look. I get very good performance and lots of comfort myself with the Volkl C10.

In general terms, I think that if you have some serious arm issues, you're kidding yourself if you want to get a softer racquet and still run it with poly.

Mig1NC
08-21-2011, 12:44 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Bosworth-Pro_Kennex_Comp_Destiny_Racquet/descpageRCBOS-BKACE.html

achokshi99
08-21-2011, 05:22 PM
In the past, no. They addressed that issue with all of the X-line.

The X8 315 was made specifically to go up against the Roddick PDGT. The X8 300, does everything a solid topspin player would want, and with minimal mods, plays awesome(check the threads for the Hominator mods, 1.25 grams at all four corners, with 5 grams wrapped around the pallet, just below the butt cap where it thins out as a counter balance).

There are 6.5 players who use the APDGT and Roddick PDGT who have switched to the X10 295 and X10 325 respectively, especially those offered contracts(players have these stupid respect issues like hip-hop street thugs--stay outta my grill--and will switch for free frames but not just because they play better)
Thanks for the info on the Volkls. The one question I have is that when I look at the x8 300 for example and compare it to the Roddick PDGT the specs are nearly the same. They are both similar in terms of head light, 330-ish swingweight, near same weight, swing speed, etc. The difference I think I should focus on is the stiffness, the Roddick is prob a TE blowout 72 but the x8 300 is still a high 68. So I'm sure it's a great stick but I'm not sure it works in terms of being more arm friendly than the roddick. What I have found appealing about the Youtek Radical is that the stiffness ratings are in the mid 50s, I'd think that is huge for being arm friendly, no? I will demo the Volkl x8 315 but since getting TE I'm really trying to isolate the key racquet factors for TE.

Power Player
08-21-2011, 05:31 PM
I have tried both Pro Kennex rackets mentioned (Ki5 and 7g) and don't think they are anything like the Pure Drives as far as power. There is one that is supposed to be a clone for the PD which I haven't tried. The volkl pb8 315.

The 7G hits big..I have an APDGT and 2 7Gs and the 7G hits with tons of power.

TennisMaverick
08-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the info on the Volkls. The one question I have is that when I look at the x8 300 for example and compare it to the Roddick PDGT the specs are nearly the same. They are both similar in terms of head light, 330-ish swingweight, near same weight, swing speed, etc. The difference I think I should focus on is the stiffness, the Roddick is prob a TE blowout 72 but the x8 300 is still a high 68. So I'm sure it's a great stick but I'm not sure it works in terms of being more arm friendly than the roddick. What I have found appealing about the Youtek Radical is that the stiffness ratings are in the mid 50s, I'd think that is huge for being arm friendly, no? I will demo the Volkl x8 315 but since getting TE I'm really trying to isolate the key racquet factors for TE.

The X8 315 is a little more plush than the X8 300. You cannot go by stats with Volkl X or BB DC frames. They are all traditional graphite frames with nano carbon in selective areas only. That not only changes the feel on ball contact, but drastically changes dynamic and torsional balance. The X material doesn't only resist torsion, it absorbs and springs back energy, all of which makes the frame feel softer, not to mention the grip system, which has the same material which is used in running shoes to absorb foot-fall shock.

achokshi99
08-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Sounds interesting, I will give it a try on a demo basis. Really like the roddick pdgt and may also try to get some of the best multi strings to see if that can help.

atatu
08-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Need a Roddick PDGT but arm friendly? The Volkl X8 315 was designed specifically to do just that. My team has had a few of their juniors switch, as it plays much softer, and volleys and slices better.

I think the PB 315 is a bit more comfortable than the Organix, and check out TW's review of the PB 315.

TennisMaverick
08-21-2011, 06:35 PM
I think the PB 315 is a bit more comfortable than the Organix, and check out TW's review of the PB 315.

I hit with the PB 8 315 so long ago, that I don't remember, but the X8 300 was designed to be the X version of the PB 8 315. The X 8 315 was to go head2head with the Roddick PDGT.

I will check-out their review of the X8 315.

TennisMaverick
08-21-2011, 06:44 PM

I assume you mean the product description?

It jives with my review that I posted on numerous threads.

achokshi99
08-21-2011, 06:52 PM
TennisMav do you think I could use a full bed of poly with the x8 315 or would the poly still be a deal breaker?

BigM
08-21-2011, 07:04 PM
TennisMav do you think I could use a full bed of poly with the x8 315 or would the poly still be a deal breaker?

I was using the X8 315 with a full bed of V-pro 18. Felt amazing. Very comfortable and was getting some nice dwell time on the ball. If you are used to playing with a full bed of Poly I don't see any reason why you wouldn't continue with the X8 315. The only thing to keep in mind is that the crosses need to be strung 1-3 lbs looser than the mains.

TennisMaverick
08-21-2011, 07:06 PM

I've torn my rotator cuff numerous times to the point where I did not hit serves each time for 18-24 months, so I don't even smell poly. With that being said, I strung my X8 315 at a constant pull comparable 63M/60C with Gripper 16--which would be very tight for most players. Perhaps you could try a soft poly like V-Pro 17 at around 45M/42C.

BigM
08-21-2011, 07:07 PM

Negative. I found X8 315 to very comfy. I'm getting great flex thru the hoop which softens the feel of this frame. If your looking for a PDR type racket this is the stick to go for period.

TennisMaverick
08-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Negative. I found X8 315 to very comfy. I'm getting great flex thru the hoop which softens the feel of this frame. If your looking for a PDR type racket this is the stick to go for period.

Ditto........

tennis-kid
08-22-2011, 12:33 AM
The 7G hits big..I have an APDGT and 2 7Gs and the 7G hits with tons of power.

I agree. There are nothing better arm friendly racquet than PK 7G, Volkl x295 and Prince EXO3. YOu might need to add some lead to make it more powerful but for arm friendly wise, those are the best. You need to demo them.
I had wrist problems and I demoed several most arm friendly racquets. Even though someone say "this is the best or that is the best", You actually have to demo them. It feels different in your hand. Also strings and tension make huge difference in stiffness feelings.

atatu
08-22-2011, 10:17 AM

Sorry, I meant the PB 315 compared to the Organix 8, I haven't tried the X315. Also, my comment to check out the TW review was directed to the OP.

TennisMaverick
08-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Sorry, I meant the PB 315 compared to the Organix 8, I haven't tried the X315. Also, my comment to check out the TW review was directed to the OP.

Again, the X8 300 was designed to be the X version of the PB 8 315. The X8 315 was to go head2head with the Roddick PDGT.

Go to the X8 300 thread or the Organix Club thread to see how the X8 300 plays to make your comparison.