PDA

View Full Version : Head TGK 238.4 sweet spot

AverageJoe
08-19-2011, 11:45 AM
I know the pro stock frame is softer, lighter, etc. But can anyone comment on the size of the sweet spot relative to it's retail paint job (Youtek Prestige MP)? Thanks!

AverageJoe
08-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Anyone...?

movdqa
08-19-2011, 08:58 PM
I have 238.4s and haven't used a retail YT Prestige MP but I have a few observations.

- On light frames, the sweet spot feels quite small.
- Adding lead makes the sweet spot feel bigger.
- Heavier frames make the sweet spot feel bigger (generally silicone in the handle and lead under the bumper)
- On light frames, it feels quite stiff.
- Polarizing the frame can make it feel more flexible.
- Increasing static weight in a balanced way can make it feel softer.
- Pro stocks aren't magic - they can provide a pro with a variety of configurations which result in different feel, size, weight, swingweight, etc. If you receive one that has already been configured, your configuration options may be more limited.
- You can spend a lot of money experimenting with this stuff but I have the impression that liquidity (ability to sell them) is pretty good. But just remember that you have to box them up and ship them if you just want to try something out.
- There are various retail sticks for sale that might allow you to get to what you want in a frame provided that you are willing to customize the frame. Some of these retail sticks are quite inexpensive and sold on TW.
- If you really know what you want and will stick with it for your main sticks, order at least two unless you're really good at customizing and/or have access to an RDC machine.

AverageJoe
08-19-2011, 10:10 PM
I have 238.4s and haven't used a retail YT Prestige MP but I have a few observations.

- On light frames, the sweet spot feels quite small.
- Adding lead makes the sweet spot feel bigger.
- Heavier frames make the sweet spot feel bigger (generally silicone in the handle and lead under the bumper)
- On light frames, it feels quite stiff.
- Polarizing the frame can make it feel more flexible.
- Increasing static weight in a balanced way can make it feel softer.
- Pro stocks aren't magic - they can provide a pro with a variety of configurations which result in different feel, size, weight, swingweight, etc. If you receive one that has already been configured, your configuration options may be more limited.
- You can spend a lot of money experimenting with this stuff but I have the impression that liquidity (ability to sell them) is pretty good. But just remember that you have to box them up and ship them if you just want to try something out.
- There are various retail sticks for sale that might allow you to get to what you want in a frame provided that you are willing to customize the frame. Some of these retail sticks are quite inexpensive and sold on TW.
- If you really know what you want and will stick with it for your main sticks, order at least two unless you're really good at customizing and/or have access to an RDC machine.

Thanks, what lead/silicone configuration did you find worked best for these frames?

FWIW, I currently use a IG speed 18x20 leaded/siliconed up to 350g. I liked the feel of the YT Prestige MP a lot more but the sweet spot on the IG speed was just too much to pass up. I'm going to get (if all goes well) 3 TGK 238.4 frames completely bare so I can customize them exactly how i'd like. I wanted something a little softer feeling than my current IG Speed and I thought for sure these frames would be but I've heard some have measured their RA around 66... Either way, I'll give em a try and if I dont like them, worse case scenario I'll just sell them.

I was hoping to get a softer but similar feel to the retail version, with a bigger sweet spot (I plan to put around 20 grams of lead in the head and balance it accordingly). Wish me luck!

movdqa
08-20-2011, 11:14 AM
> Thanks, what lead/silicone configuration did you find worked best for
> these frames?

I'm using the current pair of heavy frames unmodified - I haven't
looked inside to see what the configuration is but it's 12.7 oz,
5 or 6 points HL and it's the best setup that I have.

> FWIW, I currently use a IG speed 18x20 leaded/siliconed up to
> 350g. I liked the feel of the YT Prestige MP a lot more but the
> sweet spot on the IG speed was just too much to pass up. I'm going
> to get (if all goes well) 3 TGK 238.4 frames completely bare so I
> can customize them exactly how i'd like. I wanted something a little
> softer feeling than my current IG Speed and I thought for sure these
> frames would be but I've heard some have measured their RA around
> 66... Either way, I'll give em a try and if I dont like them, worse
> case scenario I'll just sell them.

I think that the unstrung flex is 63 and strung is 66. I've never used
the Speed models so I can't compare.

> I was hoping to get a softer but similar feel to the retail version,
> with a bigger sweet spot (I plan to put around 20 grams of lead in
> the head and balance it accordingly). Wish me luck!

I think that it would be easier to try adding 12 grams to a retail
frame unless you really like tinkering.

ManuGinobili
08-23-2011, 01:28 AM
asking what the best configuration is is a very frustrating question, because each person likes a different set up.

The Prestiges in general lack spin capabilities compared to the Speed, so to make up a little for that, you can polarize the sticks.

I even went to the extreme to shave the CAP grommets off a bit to make it polarized but keep it light enough, but don't go their until you are very, very sure.

Isn't 20g in the head a lot? I have about 10g of lead in mine and with silicone in the handle to counter for a nice balance, the racket is already at 350g strung.

ae1222
08-23-2011, 08:12 AM
I used these for awhile and I would agree if you add some weight to them it does help with the stability and makes it feel like the sweet spot is a bit larger. I had mine set up like my PT57As which was 340g unstrung at 31cm balance. But everybody has their own preferences...

AverageJoe
08-23-2011, 08:48 AM
I even went to the extreme to shave the CAP grommets off a bit to make it polarized but keep it light enough, but don't go their until you are very, very sure.

Isn't 20g in the head a lot? I have about 10g of lead in mine and with silicone in the handle to counter for a nice balance, the racket is already at 350g strung.

Yeah I've actually been thinking about trying the shaved grommet route (just getting a couple extra sets). How did it affect the stability of the frame?

It's not that much. My current set up in the IG Speed has 24 grams in the head counter balanced in the handle. I found that having that much weight in my hand has helped a lot to handle the pace at my level (futures) and put the the ball away when I need to.

AverageJoe
08-23-2011, 08:51 AM
I used these for awhile and I would agree if you add some weight to them it does help with the stability and makes it feel like the sweet spot is a bit larger. I had mine set up like my PT57As which was 340g unstrung at 31cm balance. But everybody has their own preferences...

Ah, you guys are killing me! All the former TGK users I know, have switched to the PT57A. I would love to try this frame but can't afford the $450+ per frame.

Thanks though! My current setup will start me around 345-350g

AverageJoe
08-23-2011, 08:52 AM

By the way, how does the sweet spot on the PT57A compare to that of the TGK 238.4? Thanks!

ae1222
08-23-2011, 09:30 AM
I think the sweet spot on the PT57A is larger than on the TGK frames. If you want to get an idea of how the 57A hits, demo the Pro Kennex Black Ace 98, I have been hitting with that a lot lately and it feels extremely similar, but just with a tad more pop and it feels more stable to me. I am seriously considering switching to it...

AverageJoe
08-23-2011, 10:05 AM
I think the sweet spot on the PT57A is larger than on the TGK frames. If you want to get an idea of how the 57A hits, demo the Pro Kennex Black Ace 98, I have been hitting with that a lot lately and it feels extremely similar, but just with a tad more pop and it feels more stable to me. I am seriously considering switching to it...

If you switch let me be the first to buy your PT57A's :)

ae1222
08-23-2011, 10:18 AM
If I do move over I will put them up on stringforum. All of mine are in the new youtek PJ so have your bank account ready.

movdqa
08-23-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm wondering if there will be a lot of supply of the YT pro stocks when the YT IG stuff comes out. I've never watched supply on model changeovers and I would imagine that pros will get new frames with the new PJs and sell the old stuff.

A bagful of PT57As is always impressive.

AverageJoe
08-25-2011, 10:08 PM
If I do move over I will put them up on stringforum. All of mine are in the new youtek PJ so have your bank account ready.

Haha okk

Just as an update, I just got 3 TGK 238.4's. Sweet spot is very generous, especially after some lead. So much more stable than the retail version.

TaihtDuhShaat
08-25-2011, 10:39 PM
The design of pro stock racquets lends itself to a larger sweet spot than retail frames.

Manufacturers try to keep the SW low for the consumer but at the same time offer a racquet that feels stable. They compromise and add mass to the throat and lower hoop which creates a hot zone at the bottom of the string bed and a dead upper hoop, but a stable feeling racquet.

Pro stock racquets don't have to make that design sacrifice as they are destined to be customized with mass in the upper hoop and handle for stability instead of the undesirable throat and lower hoop regions of retail frames.

AverageJoe
08-29-2011, 09:59 AM
The design of pro stock racquets lends itself to a larger sweet spot than retail frames.

Manufacturers try to keep the SW low for the consumer but at the same time offer a racquet that feels stable. They compromise and add mass to the throat and lower hoop which creates a hot zone at the bottom of the string bed and a dead upper hoop, but a stable feeling racquet.

Pro stock racquets don't have to make that design sacrifice as they are destined to be customized with mass in the upper hoop and handle for stability instead of the undesirable throat and lower hoop regions of retail frames.

All makes sense. I just received a couple TGK 238.4 frames and they are significantly more stable than the retail version, even in stock form. Sweet spot is also more generous. After a bit of lead the racket is phenomenal.