PDA

View Full Version : what tension are my racket strings?

Paul B 40-15
08-19-2011, 02:40 PM
is there any way to tell what tension my racket strings are?
I recently bought a new racket for use when playing for fun.
here are the specs:
■Weight unstrung: 295g
■Head Size: 110 ins
■Beam width: 23mm
■Length: 27.25ins
■Factory strings: Wilson nylon 15L
■String pattern: 16 x 20
■Composition: Aluminium/Titanium

no mention on the string tension.
I don't fully understand the difference between different types of strings or different string tensions, but how do I find out what my string tension is?

is it a good idea (when needed) to restring a racket or is it easier/better to just buy a new one.
there is such a wide choice of string types, gauges, tensions, using two different strings and which two to use, I honestly wouldn't know where to start or which ones to pick.

any ideas?
thanks in advance.

HiroProtagonist
08-19-2011, 02:49 PM
I think you would benefit from simply doing some research on TW's site and reading the forums here rather than starting threads, TW has a lot of good info on the basics.

This is either juicy noob troll bait, or you are trying to outdo Fedace with the innocent covert troll face black op.

Paul B 40-15
08-19-2011, 02:57 PM
do you accuse everyone seeking advice of being a troll?
if I take my racket to be restrung, I can specify what tension I want.
but how do you know what tension the strings are on a brand new racket?

another question, how long will the Wilson nylon 15L strings last if I play twice a week?

fireball11
08-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Easiest/ most realistic way would probably be the rackettune app

thebeast73
08-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Racketune app. it gives the current tension of your strings. this is not the tension that the strings were strung at, just what they are at now. strings loose tension really fast. However in order to use the app you have to know what kind of strings u have in there. Judging by the fact that the racket you have is a prestrung beginner frame they are probably just some basic 16g syn. gut

Paul B 40-15
08-19-2011, 04:42 PM
the strings are Wilson nylon 15L.
I've read a lot of good reviews about these strings, even though I didn't pick them.
I only bought this racket so I wouldn't wear out my best racket when playing for fun, I also use it to warm up with too.

Steve Huff
08-19-2011, 06:19 PM
1) Where did you read ANY good reviews on Wilson nylon?
2) You really can't determine what the racket was strung at, nor how long it sat in a warehouse before being shipped, nor how hot (which affects the strings) the warehouse was.
3) You say you bought this racket for when you play "for fun". Do you use another racket when playing at other times? Just curious.
4) Aluminum/titanium racket may have been popular in the early 80s. If you start playing a lot, I'd really consider a newer frame. Get some help from people on a HS tennis team. They probably have an assortment of frames they'd be willing to let you try.
Good luck, and you are right about there being way too many strings on the market right now.

thebeast73
08-19-2011, 07:41 PM
rackets dont really wear out unless you abuse them. Also, why would you warm up with a different racket then you play with. And I've never heard good stuff about Wilson nylon. There are better nylon strings for less.

Paul B 40-15
08-21-2011, 07:31 AM
there is no chance of me abusing a racket, not yet at least anyway.
I haven't played for quite a while, racket/string technology has changed a lot from what I can tell.
I just wanted a racket without too much cost to get me playing again.
I'm almost ashamed to say that when I played when I was younger (nearly 8 years ago now) we had a club coach who was always on hand to help with racket, string and string tension advice. I could sort of tell the difference between different strings and tensions, but I always prefered to sort my technique out first rather than worrying about different strings and tensions or what racket I was using.