PDA

View Full Version : Canadians, UPS NEW Undisclosed Charge, "BOND FEES"

humbucker
08-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Total TW merchandise, $90 US
Shipping via UPS Worldwide Express, $15 US
UPS Bond Fee, $10 CAN.

So, that's $25 shipping fee for a $90 package!

"Bond Fee" is NOT "brokerage fee". Brokerage fee is included with UPS Worldwide Express.

TW, please disclose this *NEW* UPS *hidden* charge to your customers, upfront.

---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
Email response from UPS:

Thank you for contacting us regarding Bond Fees.

The fee that has been applied to your shipment is a Bond (Disbursement) fees. Customers are responsible for payment of duties and taxes.

When funds are not provided in advance by the customer, a fee of 2.7% (minimum of $5.85 on all Standard shipments; minimum of $10.00 on all Express and Expedited shipments of the amount advanced by UPS will be charged.

The Bond (Disbursement) fee was implemented April 01, 2011 for all Brokerage account holders.

For non account holders and one-time importers, the increase was implemented June 5, 2011. One-time importer number start with 7CA / 8CA.

Bond (Disbursement) fees can be eliminated by using prepayment or Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) options.

These options are not available for a personal Brokerage account as this type of Brokerage account must be set up on a credit card payment plan.

Bartelby
08-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Seems like a fee to clear customs for duties and taxes, which is something TW already states, so it sounds like Canadian law has changed and UPS are passing it on to you.

Fuji
08-19-2011, 09:49 PM
I have had to pay a COD every single order I've made in the last 12 months.

For my latest package, which was 150.50$, shipping was 15.00 and COD was 17.75. On another package shipping was 15.00 and COD was 27.65! o.o

It is pretty ridiculous I know, but UPS is one of the only reliable shipping services to Canada...

-Fuji

humbucker
08-20-2011, 09:30 AM
TW could simply add the extra MINIMUM charge $10 to their shipping calculator for UPS Worldwide Express to Canada. ... Quote, "minimum of $10.00 on all Express and Expedited shipments"

Bartelby (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/member.php?u=7835), not sure about UPS passing on a charge from customs. When I read the email reply it sounds like UPS wants you to register & pay in advance, otherwise, they'll penalize you.

Fuji (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/member.php?u=87059), yeah, not cool. As for UPS service, I had no trouble till this last shipment. The driver missed my name on the apt buzzer list & did not deliver. ... I saw a message on UPS tracking site suggesting that I changed my address, please update address. I called & told UPS there's no change in address. But then UPS listed the delay in delivery due to customer requesting a change in delivery address. :confused:

Fuji
08-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Oh your lucky then!

There hasn't been a package in the last 5 that hasn't been a total hassle to get. I've had the same thing done to me as what happened to you!

If you want I can link you the number to call to talk to a real person and cover all of this over the phone. It's REALLY helpful talking to them in person. Usually they can help you out. I always pay my COD over the phone now, BEFORE my package gets here because my credit card type is no longer accepted by UPS drivers, another inconvenience.

"When you call 1-800-742-5877 after the voice tells you the options press 0. She will then say something else about getting more information but just press 0 again. They will then send you to a representative. "

This is what I do every single package now to pay COD and such. It's also the line to call for complaints/package claims.

Not sure if it's the one you used, but it's pretty handy to have! :)

(Btw, the most I've ever paid for a COD was 33.50, ontop of 20.00 for shipping.)

-Fuji

humbucker
08-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Thx for that Fuji. Will call.

Shame that TW & UPS can't just get together & simply spell it out at order for their customers. Everyone expects taxes. But an *undisclosed* penalty fee $10 minimum for not paying the taxes in advance of delivery, no. Ain't right.

Fuji
08-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Your welcome!

I know hey. Like honestly, every order I always keep at least 50.00 handy for COD and what not. One time my mom got dinged 50 bucks for ordering some clothes...

-Fuji

TW Staff
08-22-2011, 09:21 AM
This is a new fee from UPS.

According to UPS:
Bond Fees -
Customers are responsible for payment of duties and taxes. When funds are not provided in advance by the customer, and UPS must post a bond to allow UPS shipments to be released in advance of payment to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), a fee of 2.7 percent (minimum $5.85 on Worldwide Standard™; minimum $10 on UPS Worldwide Express Plus™, UPS Worldwide Express™, UPS Worldwide Express Saver™ and UPS Worldwide Expedited™) of the amount advanced by UPS will be charged. To avoid bond fees, call 1-800-PICK-UPS and ask about our Prepayment or Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) plans.

We're still trying to find out more information on this. Stay tuned.

Jason, TW

Bartelby
08-22-2011, 09:30 AM
From about.com:

Canada Customs Duties

Because of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadians do not have to pay duty on most American and Mexican manufactured items. But be careful. Just because you buy an item from a U.S. store does not mean it was made in the United States. It's quite possible it was imported into the United States first and, if so, you may be charged duty when it comes into Canada. So check before you buy and if possible get something in writing from the e-store in case the Canada Customs people decide to be particular.

Duties on goods vary widely, depending on the product and the country in which it was manufactured. Other charges and duties may also apply depending on the item, for example excise duty and excise tax on luxury items such as jewelry. In general, on goods ordered from a foreign retailer there is no assessment unless Canada Customs can collect at least $1.00 in duties and taxes. If you have specific questions about Canada customs and duties, please contact a Canada Border Services Agency office or the Border Information Service.

Canadian Taxes

Just about everything individuals import into Canada is subject to the Goods and Services Tax (GST) of five percent. The GST is calculated after customs duties have been applied.

You will also have to pay the applicable Canadian Provincial Sales Tax (PST) or Quebec Sales Tax (QST). The provincial retail sales tax rates vary from province to province, as do the goods and services to which the tax is applied and the way the tax is applied.

In Canadian provinces with a Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland and Labrador, Ontario and British Columbia), you'll be charged the HST, rather than separate GST and provincial sales tax.

Customs Brokers Fees

Fees for customs brokers services are the charges that can really catch you by surprise. Courier companies and postal services use customs brokers to get packages processed through Canada Customs at the Canadian border. Fees for that service will be passed along to you.

Canada Post automatically applies a $5.00 processing fee ($8.00 for Priority Post) for each package to clear Canada Customs.

Customs brokers fees for courier companies vary, but are usually a good deal higher than the Canada Post fee. Some courier companies may absorb the custom brokers fees (including them in the courier service price), depending on the level of courier service you have selected. Others will add the customs brokers fees on top and you will have to pay those before you can get your parcel. If you select a courier service for shipping to Canada, check whether the level of service provided includes customs brokers fees. If it is not mentioned on the shopping site you are using, you can check the service guide on the individual courier company site or call the local number of the courier company to find out their policies.

Bartelby
08-22-2011, 09:41 AM
It seems like that if you don't pay customs duties and taxes in advance then goods go into bond, and then apart from having to pay duties and taxes you have to pay a bond fee to get them out of bond.

From UPS:

Bond Fees
Customers are responsible for payment of duties and taxes. When funds are not provided in advance by the customer, and UPS must post a bond to allow UPS shipments to be released in advance of payment to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), a fee of 2.7 percent (minimum $5.85 on Worldwide Standard™; minimum $10 on UPS Worldwide Express Plus™, UPS Worldwide Express™, UPS Worldwide Express Saver™ and UPS Worldwide Expedited™) of the amount advanced by UPS will be charged. To avoid bond fees, call 1-800-PICK-UPS and ask about our Prepayment or Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) plans.

humbucker
08-22-2011, 12:48 PM
TW Staff, thx for looking into it.

Bartelby (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/member.php?u=7835), thx for the info, appreciate it. ... But brokerage fee is included with UPS Worldwide Express. It's now just about paying taxes in advance. This is new/unexpected.

It's simply about fair warning of the new/unexpected penalty. Showing up at my door with the bond fee already added gives me no option to pay my taxes in advance.

At a minimum customer courtesy, UPS could have simply added a highlighted blurb on the tracking page before shipping & given us 48hrs to comply. ... Ideally, they'd inform TW & we can decide to go with UPS or not at TW checkout.

humbucker
08-22-2011, 01:10 PM
PS. My apologies to TW, they were obviously unaware of the new UPS bond fee.

Bartelby
08-22-2011, 09:45 PM
It seems the brokerage fee used to cover bond fees so that they covered the costs incurred between when the customs and duties was paid and when you reimbursed them, but it seems they are no longer prepared to do this.

Its the usual trick of appearing to provide the same service - we pay brokerage fees - while diaggregating the service and then telling the customer a certain part will now cost extra unless you pay in advance.

So some will pay in advance and others will just pay more. Either way they should tell people, but this is buried somewhere presumably.

TW Staff, thx for looking into it.

Bartelby (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/member.php?u=7835), thx for the info, appreciate it. ... But brokerage fee is included with UPS Worldwide Express. It's now just about paying taxes in advance. This is new/unexpected.

It's simply about fair warning of the new/unexpected penalty. Showing up at my door with the bond fee already added gives me no option to pay my taxes in advance.

At a minimum customer courtesy, UPS could have simply added a highlighted blurb on the tracking page before shipping & given us 48hrs to comply. ... Ideally, they'd inform TW & we can decide to go with UPS or not at TW checkout.

humbucker
08-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Thx again for the info, Bartelby (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/member.php?u=7835). Yeah, it's terrible. No UPS for me. But fellow canucks should be made aware.

Hope TW will arrange things with UPS to simply disclose upfront. ...

Hidious
08-23-2011, 10:52 AM
I wish TW would offer USPS Priority mail option. Duty and handling fees are exaggerated with UPS, 50$ for a 200$ value box.

DavaiMarat
08-23-2011, 10:57 AM
When will people learn...

U.P.S. stands for:

'USE' 'PUROLATOR' 'STUPID'

Fuji
08-23-2011, 11:08 AM
When we people learn...

U.P.S. stands for:

'USE' 'PUROLATOR' 'STUPID'

Shipping options to Canada are quite limited, I don't even think we can use Fedex. :(

-Fuji

Devilito
08-23-2011, 11:17 AM
I'm in Canada and get TW packages using UPS Worldwide Express in 1 day. Nothing comes close to that speed of service. I'll gladly pay the extra $10 to keep getting stuff that fast. Yes it ****es me off UPS starts tacking on extra fees but until something matches that speed at a lower price what's one to do?

PeterFig
08-23-2011, 01:26 PM
I'm in Canada and get TW packages using UPS Worldwide Express in 1 day. Nothing comes close to that speed of service. I'll gladly pay the extra $10 to keep getting stuff that fast. Yes it ****es me off UPS starts tacking on extra fees but until something matches that speed at a lower price what's one to do?

I'm with you here ... the speed is amazing! Usually next day even tough it goes through customs. It's worth the extra $ ... but true enough about the extra charge - kinda stupid. Just got a deliver a few minutes ago and sure enough $10 extra onto of HST tax.

Dave M
08-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Fed ex charge us 10 to clear customs for parcels, I bought a racquet last month $150 frame,$40 shipping 30 duty and VAt and 10 from Fed ex for seeing it delivered to me.Frustraiting but it's better than a couple of months ago when i bought some wheelchair parts, $6 for part,$10 shipping no duty or VAT (not subject to it) but a 10 fed ex release fee for not paying excise duty for me.Nice people.

humbucker
08-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Yeah, for USPS Priority Int'l as an additional option.

But main point: We want transparency with new fees/penalties. Then let the customer decide. ... I don't think any of us are disagreeing with that.

bloodonthetracks
10-05-2011, 04:17 PM
just had to pay an extra 21 dollars on top of shipping for a pair of shoes.:( i ordered the court ballistec 2.3. might not order again if its this high.

old-cracker
12-07-2011, 01:11 PM
any from Canada/BC recently ordered from TW and chose UPS Worldwide express? Interested in what they are charging you at the door

mucat
10-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Just a bump and update to this thread for all the Canadian shoppers:

I ordered about USD$125 from TW and UPS charged me less than CND$7 at the door. I was preparing for a lot worst. :D

Vlad_C
10-17-2013, 08:14 PM
never mind... old thread. Delete post.