PDA

View Full Version : Any safe lite weight racquet for adults?

Enthu
08-20-2011, 06:35 AM
I was formerly a tournament player. Have started playing club tennis after many years of layoff. Have a frail arm and weak wrist, that gave way with the headheavy, though lite, Wilson hyperhammer 6.5 (255grams strung). So bought BLX Wilson Pro Lite (even balance at 270 strung). Ofcourse, the wrist issue was almost resolved. However, wound up with tennis/golfer's elbow problems.
My fragile wrist is unable to handle heavy, head lite racquets which are known to be safe. Am looking for a lightweight & headlite stick that my arm can enjoy.
What is the minimum racquet weight needed to avoid TE /arm issues and how headlite can it get to be ok for the wrist.
Is the Volkl Organix 4 safe? (Strung:289grams/10.2oz & 5 points headlite, unstrung:275gms/9.7 & 8 points HL)
Or Volkl Powerbridge V1 MP? (Strung: 298gms/10.5oz & 2 HL; unstrung:285gms/10.1oz & 5HL)

hoodjem
08-20-2011, 07:33 AM
I had TE for two years. I'd recommend a Dunlop Aerogel 4D 300. At 10.9 ounces strung and a 60 stiffness rating, it should give you no problems.

Enthu
08-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. Will consider it once I figure out how light a racquet I can use without running into arm issues.
Any info on the 2 Volkl org 4? Its both lite & headlite. Is that safe enough for the arm?

Fuji
08-20-2011, 10:52 AM
It's odd that you can't handle heavier weights. Normally they are the best to provide protection.

Another racket I would recommend is the Head MicroGel Radical Mid Plus. Light, low flex, and head light.

Another stat you want to be looking at is Stiffness. Stiffer rackets cause elbow, wrist, and shoulder problems like no tomorrow. The absolute highest stiffness I could recommend for you is 64. I have had some awful elbow injuries in the past, and anything above 64 flex just totaled my arm. 60 stiffness and below are for sure your friend! :)

-Fuji

tennis-kid
08-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Make sure you use soft multifilament string with low low tension. String makes big difference in stiffness.

Steve Huff
08-20-2011, 11:52 AM
You might want to look at the Pacific X Force Comp. It's 105 sq in, low powered, fairly flexible and light.

max
08-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Geez, how tough is 12 ounces?

Enthu
08-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Thankyou all.
I am shy of using a heavy stick. As a 50 yr old lady, I feel strained to wield a 300 plus grams racquet for an hour or two on a court. Hence a first option would be somthing light on arm and wrist.
Yes, the stiffness factor will become an equal priority now. Thanks again.

Enthu
08-20-2011, 09:33 PM
The pacific x force comp is only 1 point Headlite which perhaps may not be lite enough for my wrist.
The radical mp is way beyond 300 grams.
At 309 grams the Dunlop 4d 300 specs seem good, but I would still like to see if there are lighter options. How about BLX Blade Team?
Yes, strings are of utmost relevance, but I hope to tackle that once the racquet is finalised.

Fuji
08-20-2011, 09:51 PM
The pacific x force comp is only 1 point Headlite which perhaps may not be lite enough for my wrist.
The radical mp is way beyond 300 grams.
At 309 grams the Dunlop 4d 300 specs seem good, but I would still like to see if there are lighter options. How about BLX Blade Team?
Yes, strings are of utmost relevance, but I hope to tackle that once the racquet is finalised.

Hello again! :)

This racket might be right up your alley!

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-WTWBLX.html

Another option is this one....

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_K_Factor_Kobra_Team_FX/descpageRCWILSON-KOBTM.html

My girlfriend just recently switched the Kobra Team FX and she loves it. They are SO soft and quite head light. Pretty light as well. The 11.1oz is not heavy at all because of the balance. The Swingweight is still below 300 and it's a great racket. Even I tried it for a bit and it was quite a nice hit. It's personally one of my favorite rackets for injuries and people who like a lighter hit.

If I didn't like playing with my 13.7oz rackets so much, I would honestly be considering the Kobra to keep in my bag! :)

-Fuji

Bud
08-20-2011, 10:30 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Volkl_Power_Bridge_10_Light_295g/descpageRCVOLKL-VPB10L.html

309g
5 pts. HL

Also on sale for $99

Agens
08-21-2011, 02:12 AM
If I were in your situation I would not care that much about static weight but much more about flex and swingweight and beam (as other have stated before).
Nice options, from my point of view, are also the Head IG Speed 300 (SW 308, Beam 20mm and Flex 60) or Pacifix X Feel Tour (SW 305, Beam 22mm and Flex 56).

Up&comer
08-21-2011, 03:52 AM
Grab a Kblade team while they are on sale. 57 stiffness, <11 ounces, and 104 sq inches.

Enthu
08-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Excellent suggestions, all. Infact some of these names have been on my list under consideration. The problem is that there is no demo facility here. So this time I do not want to go wrong.
Will call TW and get their advise on which of these is best suited for me.
Thankyou , all.

Enthu
08-26-2011, 07:11 AM
Dear all,
Well, I have finally bought the Wilson BLX Six.One Team. It had positive customer feedback on TW. I do wish it were more headlite though. And I strung it at 52 pounds with Head Rip Control 17 gauge.
Have yet to play withit as it is raining here. Will post a feedback once I figure it out.
Thankyou for your time and patience.

movdqa
08-26-2011, 07:40 AM
You might checkout the video reviews of these products on TW too.

meowmix
08-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Now that you've bought the frame, make sure you string it with something arm friendly. If you can afford it, go with full natural gut (Pacific Classic, Babolat Tonic, Klip Legend, etc). If not, go with a gut hybrid (any one of the guts mentioned above in the mains, and any synthetic gut of your choice as a cross).

IMO, the string is just as important, if not more so, than the frame in inducing arm comfort.

For the record, the Volkl V1 MP line of rackets is consistently recommended for those suffering arm problems that wishes for a lighter racket. That and anything from Prokennex.

Enthu
08-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Meowmix, I have used the Head Rip Control strung at 52 pounds. Am hoping it is a wise decision.
Yes, I had heard about the Volkl VI Mp too. I just decided to go for a raquet that is easily available, and Volkl is not one of them.