PDA

View Full Version : sampras v. rafter

sedwickdotcom
07-05-2005, 05:53 PM
sampras and rafter should do an exhibition on grass. Kind of a new school version of the old school style of play. Any other great S&V matchups?

raftermania
07-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Who do you consider old school in that equation?

Exile
07-05-2005, 08:24 PM
if 2002 is old school then you have issues.

slice bh compliment
07-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Easy guys, he said "kind of a new school version of the old school style of play". He was just talkin' 'bout serve-n-volley tennis and a coupla baaad mother-
SHUT YO' MOUTH!-
Iw's just talking 'bout Shaft...

I believe raftermania was just kidding with you , kid,
ANyway, Sedwickdotcom et al.....You cats who crave s&V and the 'old school' ways need to see an incredible old video called THE PROS. Gene Scott, along with AMF/HEAD, CBS Sports (maybe) and TENNIS WEEK produced it. Genius. Forest Hills, 1972. Great music, a little corny. Narrated by the voice of the old NFL film shows, John Facenta. Rosewall in the stands. Decent amount of serve and volley in a bygone era. Slow motion, so the kids today won't be left unimpressed by the lack of pace. Fast enough to hold even the shortest attention spans, 'cause it's all highlights. And good ones, especially a couple of vintage Nastase moments (on the court!).

More recent stuff? Becker Sampras ATP World Championships, 1996. Some serve und volley, and lots of bangin' on an ondoor court.

Stich/Becker W final, '91. Any of the Edberg/Boris matches, ever.

Enjoy. Peace.

RiosTheGenius
07-05-2005, 08:50 PM
that'd be a great match to watch. Rafter was one of my favorites.

Yours!05
07-05-2005, 09:13 PM
My 2c:
Rafter's few post-retirement forays into doubles exhibitions etc. have been disappointing - to him as well I suspect.
If he is ever to play Seniors he'll have to work out a way to transform what must be about the most exhausting S&V style ever, requiring a high level of fitness, into something sustainable and less injury exacerbating - but still effective. All the retirees have to work around the injuries they retired with of course.
He was always uncertain about his future involvement in tennis, and I think he played these few matches to see if he wanted some active participation at this time. My guess is he found he didn't.
The interview in this thread includes his most recent statement on the subject: http://tinyurl.com/7gvg6

Has Pete been playing? If so, what, where?
(and they were not Best Buddies when Rafter won his 2 USOs either lol)

VAmazona
07-05-2005, 11:30 PM
The last time Sampras took the court for an exhibition was at Indian Wells back in Feb. for the Tim Gullikson foundation.

Yours!05
07-05-2005, 11:37 PM
The last time Sampras took the court for an exhibition was at Indian Wells back in Feb. for the Tim Gullikson foundation.Even less likely matchup then:(

AndrewD
07-06-2005, 01:35 AM
Isn't Rafter playing a few Team Tennis matches this year?

slice bh compliment,

if you're interested, there is a guy on Aussie **** who sells videos of old matches. A couple that Ive noticed were Laver v Rosewall (probably one of those WCT championships) and Laver v Newcombe. Now that last one would be a serve-volley treat.

Yours!05
07-06-2005, 01:52 AM
Isn't Rafter playing a few Team Tennis matches this year?
Indeed. Same as last year.
http://cbs.sportsline.com/tennis/story/8556529
Thinking of changing my name to UnsupportedAssertions. Thanks for the correction. Apologies to the misled:(

Kevin Patrick
07-06-2005, 08:04 AM
AndrewD, what's Aussie ****? Do you have the url? Would really love do get a hold of that '72 Laver-Rosewall WCT Final, but I'm in the US(if it's restricted to Aussie buyers only)