PDA

View Full Version : Rebel Team/Gamma Tour 340X Team Perfect customization

HiroProtagonist
08-20-2011, 02:00 PM
I have long desired a retail frame that was light enough and had the correct balance to allow for complete and total customization control but could never find one that fit my requirements for beam width and head size: 21mm at most, and 95sqin at most.

But thanks to the TW racquet finder I have found two very promising candidates that I would never have normally looked at; the Rebel Team 95 and the Gamma Tour 340X Team.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Gamma_Tour_340X_Team/descpageRCGAMMA-G340T.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Prince_EXO3_Rebel_Team_95/descpageRCPRINCE-PXORT.html

The combination of light weight and HH balance seem perfect but what makes them seemingly better than any other option for me is the frame design itself, as well as the flex ratings. Normally frames this light and HH are thick beamed 98sqin+ head sizes and stiff but these are perfect at 20mm and 93/95sqin as well as 64/63 flex respectively.

What I am concerned about is the actual quality of the materials used. I dont know anything about Gamma racquets and that worries me, I am inclined to trust the quality of the Prince more but I am overall more interested in the Gamma's specs and design(thinking I might also black out the frame as the pj is not the most attractive).

I'm thinking I'd like to weight these sticks up to about 12.5oz and around 7 or 8 pts HL, silicone and lead, seems doable to me but would love some other opinions.

So does anyone have any experience with Gamma racquets, positive or negative?

I would also love to hear from any Rebel Team users likes, dislikes, feel, power level etc.

Also if anyone knows if either of these racquets have filled handles already that would be immensely helpful.

JGads
08-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Regular Gamma 340X is a great stick with very good feel, and I tried another one briefly once (320 or something) that also felt good. Solid feeling sticks so I think the 340X Team experiment would be an interesting one to undertake. Granted, I have no idea what Gamma's doing with some of those paintjobs. Eesh.

klementine79
08-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Wow... that Gamma 340xTeam has got some strange specs. Never looked at that one before.

I must say that the Rebel95Team was absolutely the most unstable-toy-like racquet I had ever swung in stock form. The Prince air-o Rival (which is a full ounce lighter) felt more solid than this one. Just a whole lot of 'buzzing' and nothing else.

Other racquets in its weight range feel substantially better.

Interested to find out if anyone has customized this one.

HiroProtagonist
08-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Regular Gamma 340X is a great stick with very good feel, and I tried another one briefly once (320 or something) that also felt good. Solid feeling sticks so I think the 340X Team experiment would be an interesting one to undertake. Granted, I have no idea what Gamma's doing with some of those paintjobs. Eesh.

Thanks that inspires a bit more confidence in Gamma quality, and ya the pj's are atrocious, I have been wanting to black out a frame and the Gamma seems like a perfect candidate:)

Wow... that Gamma 340xTeam has got some strange specs. Never looked at that one before.

I must say that the Rebel95Team was absolutely the most unstable-toy-like racquet I had ever swung in stock form. The Prince air-o Rival (which is a full ounce lighter) felt more solid than this one. Just a whole lot of 'buzzing' and nothing else.

Other racquets in its weight range feel substantially better.

Interested to find out if anyone has customized this one.

Interesting, as I think about it more I may just eliminate the Rebel straight away as even if I get the customization right it probably cant match my Prestiges feel and performance. I only hit with the regular Rebel once for a couple hours but I do recall a kind of buzzing, not a sound really but more a sensation, it was odd.

mrtrinh
08-20-2011, 04:29 PM
i use to play with the rebel team and I beg to differ how unstable the frame was. for its lightweight I was still able to hit with my friends who are big hitters (4.5-5). Even the the racket is light it is by no means a powerful frame. its a flexy control racket that begs to be customized. You need to have good strokes and racket head speed

Yes, it is light and lacks plowthrough but after I added a leather grip and 8g to the throat of the frame the racket really shined. It felt like a flexy prestige.

HiroProtagonist
08-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Any other experiences with Gamma racquets to relate?

Or perhaps any other suggestions for retail racquets that are good customization platforms?

JGads
08-21-2011, 04:13 PM
How about a Radical? Or is that too heavy of a starting point?

Radicals are pretty frikkin sweet frames to begin with, but I hear they can become beastly when weight is added.

HiroProtagonist
08-21-2011, 04:21 PM
How about a Radical? Or is that too heavy of a starting point?

Radicals are pretty frikkin sweet frames to begin with, but I hear they can become beastly when weight is added.

Actually I had that same idea about a year back and got one, CAPed it, silicone in the handle and a little lead in the hoop but it just never felt solid enough, had that hollow feeling, but most of all I just don't like the beam shape. I think if it had a Prestige beam shape or the old iRadical beam shape it could have worked.

Great suggestion though and I think for someone who doesn't mind the beam shape it is a great customization platform.

JGads
08-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Just curious: which Radical did you try the tweaking with? The MG version always felt pretty nice and cushioned to me. More so than the YT, I think; though I only hit the Youtek for a few minutes so that may have been string/short sighted.

HiroProtagonist
08-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Just curious: which Radical did you try the tweaking with? The MG version always felt pretty nice and cushioned to me. More so than the YT, I think; though I only hit the Youtek for a few minutes so that may have been string/short sighted.

It was the YTK.

Here's a pic for the hell of it.
http://i56.tinypic.com/jjp7ci.jpg

Bud
08-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Is this frame (340x) trying to mimic the Head Prestige mid?

HiroProtagonist
08-21-2011, 05:47 PM

Certainly seems like it doesn't it, which makes it all the more attractive to me. I would love an un-customized PT10 but for a third of the price I think this the closest I'm going to get.

Only thing missing is the CAPs, but once I black out the hideous pj I think it will look pretty darn nice.

HiroProtagonist
08-21-2011, 06:28 PM
It is right!
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/10.jpg

Huh?

10 chars

Bud
08-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Certainly seems like it doesn't it, which makes it all the more attractive to me. I would love an un-customized PT10 but for a third of the price I think this the closest I'm going to get.

Only thing missing is the CAPs, but once I black out the hideous pj I think it will look pretty darn nice.

You might be able to outfit the frame with CAP grommets. It may have the same drill pattern as the HPM. The head shape appears to mimic the Prestige mid.

sstchur
08-23-2011, 11:06 PM
Gamma makes very good quality frames and they generally have very good quality control as well.

I've played with many Gammas including the Tradition 18 (way way back when), the T-7, the Tour 330X, and the Tour 320X.

All were very good, very solid feeling racquets.

Gamma racquets are every bit as good as Prince, Wilson, et. al. Most people never give them a chance, b/c their favorite pro doesn't use one (and most everyone is influenced by what they see the pros play with).

Definitely worth checking out, IMO, though, in this particular case, I can't offer any specific info about the 340X Team -- never tried that one.

Hidious
08-23-2011, 11:22 PM
I would definitely use Gamma if their frames weren't so ugly cosmetically.

Alan_Hill
08-24-2011, 04:41 AM
It was the YTK.

Here's a pic for the hell of it.
http://i56.tinypic.com/jjp7ci.jpg
Hiro, does the iPrestige cap fit on YTK Radical? My cousin tried but he said did not fit.

HiroProtagonist
08-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Gamma makes very good quality frames and they generally have very good quality control as well.

I've played with many Gammas including the Tradition 18 (way way back when), the T-7, the Tour 330X, and the Tour 320X.

All were very good, very solid feeling racquets.

Gamma racquets are every bit as good as Prince, Wilson, et. al. Most people never give them a chance, b/c their favorite pro doesn't use one (and most everyone is influenced by what they see the pros play with).

Definitely worth checking out, IMO, though, in this particular case, I can't offer any specific info about the 340X Team -- never tried that one.

Thanks for the reply, since I started this thread I have heard nothing but good things about Gamma so I have decided to go for it. It shall be the ultimate racquet experiment, silicone, lead, paint, the whole show, by the end I should feel like I made the racquet myself:lol:

Hiro, does the iPrestige cap fit on YTK Radical? My cousin tried but he said did not fit.

Well CAPs dont exactly fit the YTKs, you gotta use a good combo of finesse and muscle, awl, hair dyer, patience etc. it's not easy but you can get them on there. I have, however not tried the iPrestige CAPs, I personally prefer the full job even on my iPrestiges:)

But sense they are basically the same you should be able to get em on, it's just a matter of how much patience and effort you want to expend.

gd!
08-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Though Donnay X-racquet line is currently rated highly on my personal list to give some other racquet a try, the 340X Team could be another favorite which can fit my bill; currently playing Gamma T-7 but searching for a smaller head size to further improve my 1HBH.
Control and power level I am getting from my T-7s are not an issue but the smaller head size of 340X Team may help to improve BH.
Additionally, it should be possible to customize it close to T-7s specs. Price is much less as for purchasing Donnay's racquets.

Update: Will get a test racquet from my local dealer along with lead tape and a leather grip to install. So I am so curious to see if such a highly lead up racquet (most of it to the grip for sure) will play to my liking...

sstchur
09-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Did anybody ever follow through with this experiment?

Interested to hear how you liked, either the 340X or the customized 340X team.

The prices have come down considerably, and gosh, for about $75 brand new for a 340X, I think I will grab a couple and see how I like them.

5imon
09-24-2011, 04:53 PM
any update because Im interesting in the experiment too. :)

4sound
09-24-2011, 05:26 PM

I don't think so.
The 340x is very different from the Head Prestige Mid.
Prestige has higher swing weight, balance is more head light and beam is thinner.

The 340x is very light at 10.3oz which makes it very customizable but if you're going to add weight anyway, I'd try the PK Black Ace or Redondo if you're looking at a Mid sized 18x20.

davedomart
09-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Try the Wilson K Six One Team. Even balance, 10.2 ounces unstrung, 58 flex.