PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder surgery

Mary Jo
08-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Looking for recommendations on arm friendly rackets and string. Can start to hit some now with full range of motion end of year.

Xpherex
08-20-2011, 02:55 PM
May I ask what happened that you had shoulder surgery? and how old are you?

klementine79
08-20-2011, 02:57 PM
-ProKennex kinetic line

-Prince's exo3Tour series

-Head's MGRadOS

Steve Huff
08-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Shoulder injuries are different than elbow injuries. Sometimes, heavier is not better. Those rackets are generally good, but could be too heavy for you. I guess it depends a little on your size, what you are used to playing with, etc.

Mary Jo
08-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Shoulder injuries are different than elbow injuries. Sometimes, heavier is not better. Those rackets are generally good, but could be too heavy for you. I guess it depends a little on your size, what you are used to playing with, etc.

5'8". 140 lb
4.0. Can seem to give up my 15 yr old Head racquet but it's time

Mary Jo
08-20-2011, 03:49 PM
May I ask what happened that you had shoulder surgery? and how old are you?

I am 60 years. . 4.0 player
Not sure what happened. Played sports all of my life Initially diagnosed with bicep tear and wasted all of 2010 with that. 60 PT treatments etc
April 2011 had shoulder replaced. Didn't know they did this but it was successful. Doctor says I can hit some now and will be good to go early spring.
Beware. Gets lots of opinions when it comes to surgery and make sure doctor has lots of experience in the speciality.

TennisMaverick
08-20-2011, 04:05 PM
I am 60 years. . 4.0 player
Not sure what happened. Played sports all of my life Initially diagnosed with bicep tear and wasted all of 2010 with that. 60 PT treatments etc
April 2011 had shoulder replaced. Didn't know they did this but it was successful. Doctor says I can hit some now and will be good to go early spring.
Beware. Gets lots of opinions when it comes to surgery and make sure doctor has lots of experience in the speciality.

I work with pros and elite juniors, and I've had a lot of experience with career ending shoulder and back injuries. Although I earn a living as a coach/manager, my recommendation is usually to quit tennis--I've had a lot of work done on my back and shoulder, so I hit very carefully--but in lieu of that, they call the Volkl V1s, "the arm saver". The BB Sportster is currently on sale, and the PB V1 sells big time. You can also go with the Classic V1, which is very muted on-contact.

Buckethead
08-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Looking for recommendations on arm friendly rackets and string. Can start to hit some now with full range of motion end of year.

I'd suggest you the Yonex EZONE Team/or team plus with Yonex Super 850 at 52/49 lbs this racket is a MP racket, very comfortable alreayd lowering the tension with the very soft string mentioned to you, you should be able to hit without much pain.

The Ashaway Dynamite 18 gauge withmade with Zyex multifilament can an even softer ride, and the last option would be natural gut.

movdqa
08-20-2011, 05:33 PM
I think that the important things with a shoulder injury are weight and swingweight. I don't know that shock and vibration affect the shoulder as much as they do the arm.

A guy that I played with today has had two shoulder surgeries within the last five years. One was probably tennis-related and the other was work-related (fall from a ladder). It took him six months to recover and his recovery each time was complete except for his serve. He can hit his old flat serve with a lot of pace but he uses it very infrequently. Most of his serves are now kickers.

He went back to the racquets that he used before his injuries.

You might want to try something similar to what you had before or lighter with similar characteristics.

I always like to listen to examples of injuries in the 50s and 60s as I'm in the lower range there at this time. I know lots of guys that have had injuries that have recovered or have learned how to work around their injuries. The latest was something that I heard yesterday, one of the guys that I sometimes play doubles with has a herniated disk.

Steve Huff
08-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Those old rackets were pretty heavy and low powered by today's standards. TennisMav's suggestion of a Volkl is pretty good. They make some lighter, good playing frames. Some of their frames come in 325 and 295 gms. I don't think the 295 would be too heavy for you. Head also makes some lighter frames that are similar, except for weight, of their heavier models. I'd stay somewhere in the 10.0oz unstrung range, and I'd stay away from polyester strings.

ollinger
08-20-2011, 06:54 PM
You say "full range of motion end of year" and the doctor says "good to go early spring." This is one of the reasons so many surgeries don't produce the results people hope for.

movdqa
08-20-2011, 07:06 PM
My friend was very good about waiting the six months - he was basically gone from the courts. He has his own construction company so resting his shoulder meant directing others and doing sales work instead of doing work himself.

I've never heard of shoulder replacement before. How much is replaced? I have a friend that could use it because he had a fall (ice) and something in the back tore and you have to fix it within a certain period of time or else it contracts making it very difficult to repair afterwards. He's in his mid-sixties and hates the idea of surgery and plays a pretty good game of tennis, even with the problem but replacement might be an interesting option.

Mary Jo
08-20-2011, 08:13 PM
My friend was very good about waiting the six months - he was basically gone from the courts. He has his own construction company so resting his shoulder meant directing others and doing sales work instead of doing work himself.

I've never heard of shoulder replacement before. How much is replaced? I have a friend that could use it because he had a fall (ice) and something in the back tore and you have to fix it within a certain period of time or else it contracts making it very difficult to repair afterwards. He's in his mid-sixties and hates the idea of surgery and plays a pretty good game of tennis, even with the problem but replacement might be an interesting option.

The surgery involves replacing the humeral head (or joint “ball”) and the glenoid (called the “socket”).I Partial shoulder replacement (or hemi-replacement) may also be indicated with certain severe shoulder fractures of the humeral . Make sure he selects a doctor who is very experienced.