PDA

View Full Version : Fake Prince Graphite NXGs?

dbartholow
08-20-2011, 05:26 PM
I am under the impression I may have bought a fake Prince Graphite NXG Midsize (a ridiculously niche racquet to bootleg, I realize) off a certain auction house last week, and I wanted to learn more before I sent the racquet back to the seller.

The most notable difference between my original NXGs and the auction purchase is the serial number tag which is very distinctly not the typical gilded hologram. I've linked the macro view of the racquet as it was listed on the site, as well as the original listing below. The one I purchased is on top in the image below with the 02424518 serial number.

Is this some special demo-only tag / ID or the hallmark of a straight up fake?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Macro view:
http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=958338&image=407658861&images=407658748,407658809,407658861,407658921&formats=0,0,0,0&format=0

Original listing:
http://www.*********/itm/Prince-NXG-Tour-Graphite-Midsize-92-4-1-4-Tennis-Racket-/190446030204?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5777cd7c#ht_3680wt_1159

gavna
08-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Instead fo asking people here for their opinion your best bet is to call or email Prince direct. They will for sure let you know if it's fake or not based on the serial number.

dbartholow
08-20-2011, 05:56 PM
They're closed...

gavna
08-21-2011, 07:16 AM
Well if your going to get into a ******* contest on the auction site and claim an item is fake you had better be 100% sure. The ONLY way is to ctc Prince In less than 22 hours (if you r in the US) and check with them. The burden is on you to prove it's fake, also why would anyone take to effort to make a fake model of that stick???? The sticks that are copied are the high volume high visibility frames Pro's play with - APD, BLX 6.0.......etc

El Diablo
08-21-2011, 07:34 AM
As gavna points out, if a Wilson says BLK on it instead of BLX, it's probably a fake.

SteveI
08-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Well if your going to get into a ******* contest on the auction site and claim an item is fake you had better be 100% sure. The ONLY way is to ctc Prince In less than 22 hours (if you r in the US) and check with them. The burden is on you to prove it's fake, also why would anyone take to effort to make a fake model of that stick???? The sticks that are copied are the high volume high visibility frames Pro's play with - APD, BLK 6.0.......etc

I have to agree about a fake of this frame. It was never a big seller as was any of that graphite line. Not that it was bad frame.. just never sold well.

Best way to check of course is to call Prince.

Good Luck.

dbartholow
08-21-2011, 08:34 AM
I completely agree it's absurd to think that this frame would be counterfeited, but the differences are peculiar.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughtful replies.

GS
08-21-2011, 08:48 AM
All my NXGs, store-bought and demos, had hologram serial number tags.

Cup8489
08-21-2011, 07:22 PM
I had 3 nxg mids for 4 years... these look 100% real to me.

lethalfang
08-21-2011, 09:26 PM
NXG Graphite's are so cheap, that it's almost cheaper to sell you the real ones.

fuzz nation
08-22-2011, 05:51 AM
I've got a couple of NXG mids along with one midplus. While the frames in your picture look right to my eye, the gold label on yours is somewhat different.

The serial numbers on all of mine are flipped - I'd tilt my head to the left to read yours, but to the right to read mine. Plus, my serial numbers are seven digits, not eight, and they start with either 701, 707, or 749.

Your label also reads "GENUINE CERTIFIED" under "prince", but mine has the same bold "prince" and underneath reads "GENUINE PRINCE CERTIFIED".

Hopefully those frames at least play like the real deal for you. They've become rather hard to find, at least in my grip size, but they're exceptional racquets to me.

dbartholow
08-22-2011, 07:52 AM
I've got a couple of NXG mids along with one midplus. While the frames in your picture look right to my eye, the gold label on yours is somewhat different.

The serial numbers on all of mine are flipped - I'd tilt my head to the left to read yours, but to the right to read mine. Plus, my serial numbers are seven digits, not eight, and they start with either 701, 707, or 749.

Your label also reads "GENUINE CERTIFIED" under "prince", but mine has the same bold "prince" and underneath reads "GENUINE PRINCE CERTIFIED".

Hopefully those frames at least play like the real deal for you. They've become rather hard to find, at least in my grip size, but they're exceptional racquets to me.

They are exceptional racquets and that's what tipped me off to begin with. This "NXG" literally feels nothing like the two I've had for years.

GS
08-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Only Prince can give you a decent answer. Did you ever get in contact with them directly?

dbartholow
08-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Prince just got back to me. The serial number (if real) belongs to a racquet that would not have been manufactured in the last ten years. They began tracking SKUs (the rep's nomenclature) in 2001 and the serial number for this frame would begin with a 7.

Meanwhile, the racquet is now out of my hands and headed back to the original sender as we speak.

fuzz nation
08-22-2011, 12:32 PM
...now if we can only convince the good folks at Prince to reissued the NXG mid for us true believers...