PDA

View Full Version : customizing head prestige pro

ima destroy yew intennis
08-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Hi all

I am a competitive junior tennis player. I am probobly a 5.0 5.5 ntrp rating.
My current raquet is the Head Prestige Pro, I am very happy with it and have no plans of switching anytime soon.

the only thing is it's not very spin friendly compared to my previous raquets, I also woulden't mind it being heavier and having more plow through. I thought it was about time for me to experiment with some lead tape, since I have know experience with lead tape I came to you guys.

So what's a good setup for spin? i'm thinking somewhere between 6 and 10 extra grams, but that's just my first idea. my lead tape is 1/4th inch wide. if you have any links or derections to help me out it's much appreciated!

HiroProtagonist
08-20-2011, 07:04 PM
A good starting point is to get the current weight and balance of your racquet(s) this will help you make adjustments and notations as you go, so as you are not just taking shots in the dark.

ima destroy yew intennis
08-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Hey thanks, so do I have to weigh them or just look up the specs online?

Cup8489
08-20-2011, 07:17 PM
you'll probably want to weigh and measure your frames as theres no guarantee they'll be the same as the specs posted online.

HiroProtagonist
08-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Specs vary from stick to stick so you will have to weigh them individually, if you're going to delve into the world of racquet customization it is well worth the $ to invest in a postal scale and balance board, it will save you many hours of aggravation and uncertainty.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-AVBB.html

movdqa
08-20-2011, 07:31 PM
What is your strategy for placement of lead? 3/9 would probably make it harder to generate spin. I would guess that a polarized setup would work the best in adding spin potential as it would raise swingweight giving you added power so that you could concentrate on generating spin.

The Prestige Pro is supposed to be a spin-friendly frame and it looks good on paper. Perhaps you're comparing it to something like the Pure Drive.

HiroProtagonist
08-20-2011, 08:02 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/customize.html

Here's a good reference for the basics.

Bartelby
08-20-2011, 08:32 PM
You can modify that racquet for plow by adding sw via lead, but apart from changing string its already designed for spin so it's up to your technique.

I think my pro is at least 320 sw and it's definitely the full 325 grams unstrung so I'm happy with it as is.

Larrysümmers
08-20-2011, 11:38 PM
1.check the swing path.
2.strings, maybe a more spin friendly string
3.racket, add a little, a little, at 12oclock and see how that goes

Marcus2137
08-21-2011, 06:46 AM
if you are experimenting with lead tape at the 12" position and put it on the inside of the frame, where the shiny "HEAD" sticker is, be careful. Those shiny HEAD stickers are pretty fragile and can be pulled off easily by the lead tape.

Bartelby
08-21-2011, 07:24 AM
if you carefully lift the CAP grommet either side at the 12 position you can slip 2 grams of lead under it.

They should really never put stickers where people usually put lead.