PDA

View Full Version : Info About The London

john blackman
08-21-2011, 06:08 AM
Having a little trouble controlling the great LONDON. Read somewhere that the string tension can be set up for better control. Someting like 2 to 3 less tension in the crosses or mains. Although I might want to experiment with adding some lead to see what happens. Would you LONDON lovers please give me your ideas on how to set this up. I'm a 4.0 USTA rated player with a flat 1HBH and semi flat fH baseliner. And please show me on this blog where to find all the info on the stick. Thanks

prjacobs
08-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Tons of stuff on the forum. Tennis Maverick is the authority on all Volkl frames. Search his posts, you'll find it all there :) .

vantageboy
08-21-2011, 10:41 AM
tmav's advice is spot on--i have a great stringer her in c.florida so i have no issues with control--i do have lead on my handle only to bring it to 11.8oz. great racquet with comfort control with a touch of power.

djNEiGht
08-21-2011, 10:45 AM
@john

london thread

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=378176

TennisMaverick
08-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Boris Becker (BB) London Club.

This was the second thread, which was closed due to 3-4 stalker harassers. It is quite good, but not as technically informative as the first, which was removed due to the same posters.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=362095&highlight=Boris+Becker+London

john blackman
08-22-2011, 06:14 AM
So guys, thanks for all the info about the LONDON. What set up should I use for a very hard (FLAT) OHBH and a medium FH hit with some topspin. I hit out hard with my backhand as it is my winning shot most of the time. Have been using tech-fibre 17 strung at 58 lbs. I guess I need to make it 58 main and 56 cross. From what I have read this racquet is a top spin club and not really a flat hitters stick. If any of you guys hit like me and have a set up that works for flat please let me know as the racquet works in every other way. Thanks Again

Pneumated1
08-22-2011, 07:00 AM
So guys, thanks for all the info about the LONDON. What set up should I use for a very hard (FLAT) OHBH and a medium FH hit with some topspin. I hit out hard with my backhand as it is my winning shot most of the time. Have been using tech-fibre 17 strung at 58 lbs. I guess I need to make it 58 main and 56 cross. From what I have read this racquet is a top spin club and not really a flat hitters stick. If any of you guys hit like me and have a set up that works for flat please let me know as the racquet works in every other way. Thanks Again

If I remember correctly, you said that the London was in your ideal spec range. If so, honestly, find a Dunlop 4D 300 Tour or 4D 300, or if you have the jack, find a Bio. 300 Tour or Bio. 300. These are the best 1hbh racquets I've ever hit. If your 1hbh is your best shot, and you can't dial it in with the London, throw it to the curb. And of course, if you can handle the extra weight, the more obvious choice would be the Melbourne for your style of play. It comes highly recommended. I plan to hit it eventually.

If you like the London that much, as I recommended before, to utilize it for a flatter hitter, put two grams at 5/7, 1 gram on the bridge, and one gram inside the "Y" in the throat. If you need to balance it out a bit after that, counter with some lead under the grip or put on a leather. This will change the characteristics of the frame to make it more suitable for your style. Additionally, if you hit flat, why use a 17 guage string? Go with a 16 guage at 58/55, 59/56, 60/57.

john blackman
08-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Premated1, thanks for the info AGAIN, but if I lead it to play like you say to get my correct feel that means I have to put 4 grams in the head and then balance it with 4 grams on the handle for a total of 11.1 and 8 total grams added to come uo to 11.9 total. I might as well go ahead and purchase a Melbourne which is 12 grams. Is that correct? And where exactly do I put the lead at the Y never done that before and what does it accomplish? Again, thankss for taking the time to explain all this to me.

Pneumated1
08-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Premated1, thanks for the info AGAIN, but if I lead it to play like you say to get my correct feel that means I have to put 4 grams in the head and then balance it with 4 grams on the handle for a total of 11.1 and 8 total grams added to come uo to 11.9 total. I might as well go ahead and purchase a Melbourne which is 12 grams. Is that correct? And where exactly do I put the lead at the Y never done that before and what does it accomplish? Again, thankss for taking the time to explain all this to me.

Who's "Premated1"? Anyway, do this for me, John, it should be easy: Take a piece of 1/4" lead tape 8" long and make several strikes along the middle of the strip with a razor blade or utility knife and a straight edge. Strike it very lightly with several passes to create two pieces of 1/8" tape, 8" long. This will equal 2 grams of lead. Center this on the bottom of the hoop on each side of the stringbed. If you need to, mark each strip before striking at 4" to mark the center of each strip. Align this mark with the bottom center of the hoop and simply apply/stick around the bottom of the frame along the edge of the stringbed.

Do the same with a 4" piece of tape to create two 1/8" pieces 4" long. Simply apply these strips along the length of the "Y" starting at the top, where it intersects the bridge/bottom of the hoop. This will equal 1 gram of lead tape in the throat and 3 total for the hoop and throat. Try the frame with these simple mods, and my guess is that you should be in business.

You may not need a counter under the grip, but if so, you need 12" of 1/4" lead to distribute any way that you choose under the grip. You could do 2 strips 6" long or 4 strips 3" long or, my personal suggestion, wrap 3 strips 4" long around the exact midpoint of the handle---or the bottom/top/whatever works for you. As I told you, a leather grip works well but it is quite a bit heavier than the synthetic. I personally like the distributed weight of the leather grip better, after going back and forth on the issue for awhile.

If these mods don't work for you and your string tensions don't control your issues, ditch the stick, no kidding. Very few have overcome the symptoms that you're experiencing, once they start. As far as the total weight, with the mods that I suggest, and if you choose to mod the handle, you're only adding 24" of 1/4" lead, which weighs 6 grams, which is less than a 1/4 of an ounce. That would only get you up to the 11.5-11.7 range. As far as the Melbourne, yeah, if it's not too demanding, I have already prepared myself to like it well enough to buy it when I demo it. But I thought that you didn't want to get into that weight range?

john blackman
08-22-2011, 02:40 PM
A buddy of mine had a demo from TW last month and I had a chance to use it for some hitting. Not sure if I can swing it for 2 and a half hours but it sure was sweet. Thats why I have that club in the back of my mind, I guess just like you. Thanks and I will lead it up tomorrow and see what happens.